Options

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    Babysnow, thank you so much for taking the time out to write that very detailed post. I'm sure many readers will find it useful. I sure did! I suppose I'll have to shell out the $84 or so to get a kit.

I'm not sure about spending the six or seven hours or so it'll take to do it by myself. However, I know a couple of very dependable teenagers that need some money. Maybe I'll have them test it out on my Explorer, first.

The RX is already pretty glossy. Is it really that noticeably shinier, after Zaino?
  • Options
    babysnowbabysnow Member Posts: 48
    it really doesn't take that many hours as long as you're not as anal as me (and you don't have to clay if you don't want to. some others didn't and were just as happy). =P as for the shine, it was noticable. the other day i parked besides another rx330 with the same color and snow was noticably brighter. but the main reason i love it so much is because it's so easy to do. i would have never waxed snow with traditional waxes 'cause they're so troublesome and since i don't know any good car wash/detailer places in this area, she would have gone unprotected in the hot desert sun. remember, however long it takes you, at least it's easy work! let me know when u've tested it out and how you like it!
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I get a constant 19, at 2,800 miles, with AWD and using regular unleaded. Your probable culprit is using the higher octane gasoline. The engine and computers are manufactured are run efficiently on 87 octane gasoline and more performance oriented with higher octane. When you put in a higher octane, it causes the computer change the way that fuel is used and ignited which, in theory, should make the car perform a little better since it is handling power a bit differently. Unfortunately, as with any car, increased performance also results in lower efficiency. Try running the gasoline that the vehicle was made to use and I bet you'll see an improvement in your mileage.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The dealer can program c-best so that the system does not automatically go into cooling mode once the cabin temperature rises to, or near, the temperature setpoint. In cooling mode NO airflow is routed to the windshield.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't use Zaino, but I do like to clay my cars once a year or so - it isn't as difficult as applying and removing most waxes and it really gets the grime off. A clay bar costs about $10 and lasts a long time (unless you are one of those OCD types who toss them when they get a bit gray).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    pgarypgary Member Posts: 3
    Thanx Guy... Will give it a try. BTW, took the car in for 1K check, The Service Rep mentioned that they have no way to "tune" for gas consumtion, the thing is totally under the control of the computer. What is this world coming to? LOL!!
    phil g
  • Options
    Steve's right. Give your engine time to break in. For the first couple of thousand miles or so, I was only getting 11 mpg around town. Now, I get up to 22mpg strictly highway, and 18 to 19mpg in combination.

I only use 87 octane.
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Well, that's a good thing. Think of it, if they could tune it for gas consumption then that tune would run static until you had them tune it again. With the computer doing it, it is constantly adjusting to whatever state it needs to be at. What's the world coming to? I don't know but I sure am loving it!
  • Options
    wallie502wallie502 Member Posts: 13
    Updating my post from April, my mileage has become steady. I took delivery of my RX Nov. '03 from Japan. At first (under 1000 miles), my mileage was terrible. It leveled out to about 18 mpg during the summer, and slightly less recently, as the weather here in NJ has started to get chilly and I warm up my car. Very few of my miles are on the highway, so my mileage is at or just below the EPA rating of 18 mpg for city driving. However, I have never achieved anywhere near 24 mpg for a whole tank of gas, even if those particular miles were one the highway.

On another note, I recently drove an ES 330 loaner, and I found it surprisingly different from my RX. It felt as if the engine revved much more smoothly and easily than in my car, which is strange considering they share the engine. Despite complaints about the RX's transmission (I have been problem-free), I thought the ES's was terrible. It was extremely reluctant and slow to downshift. I would imagine that the two cars share it as well, so I could not figure this out. Maybe the learning transmission in the loaner was confused by so many different drivers. Are the transmissions in either the RX or the ES truly learning transmissions?
  • Options
    caelnycaelny Member Posts: 1
    How come no one has had any postings about their RX 330 projector headlamps being stolen? Here in Queens , NY , thieves are able to pop out the entire headlamp assembly including casing in under a minute each side. The alarm does not even go off. The police report at least 8 to 10 RXs are being robbed a day. I know someone who got victimized and it cost the insurance more than $8,000 in repairs. Each assembly and casing cost more than $2,500 a piece plus body repair.
    Lexus obviously has not learned from Nissan's experience. The State of New Jersey sued Nissan for failing to notify customers of the rampant theft on its Maxima Headlamps. Unlike Nissan, Lexus still has not recalled its RXs so that it can secure and correct the weak and poor headlamp installation. Such defective product should not be expected on a $42,000 car.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How come no one has had any postings about their RX 330 projector headlamps being stolen?

Check out this discussion: Stolen Headlights!!

tidester, host
  • Options
    londonboylondonboy Member Posts: 1
    I hear the same noise described by dsindm - not just whenever I press (even a little) or release the gas pedal while already moving, but also when I keep the brake pedal down, which causes the noise just before the car stops. dsindm's desciption of the noise is very good: it's like the sound of a tin can lid being pushed in/out.

Does anyone know what this may be related to. Is there a relevant TSB?

My RX 330 is 4WD purchased in Feb 2004. I also have occasional thump/hum transmission issue. Otherwise I like the vehicle.
  • Options
    shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    Same thing happening here in Miami, which is exactly why I opted not to get those lamps! Unfortunate to say the least.
  • Options
    carrvettecarrvette Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a new RX 330 at a dealership. WHen I picked th car up several days later I noticed their was paint overspray on the hood. They offered to correct the problem free of charge. Question: Even if they remove the overspray will this reduce the value of my vehicle? How extensive will the repair job be?
  • Options
    maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I doubt it will lower the value of your vehicle because after removal of the overspray it will look just like new. You could even do it yourself in most cases with a clay bar for 15 bucks.

So it most cases, no it won't decrease the value of your car by even a penny.
  • Options
    carrvettecarrvette Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a new RX 330 at a dealership. WHen I picked th car up several days later I noticed their was paint overspray on the hood. They offered to correct the problem free of charge. Question: Even if they remove the overspray will this reduce the value of my vehicle? How extensive will the repair job be?
  • Options
    rycaryca Member Posts: 17
    I know there is a TSB out for replacement of front rotors and pads. Does any know if there is a mileage limit for this TSB or does it cover your Lexus until you reach the 4 yr 48,000 mile warranty? I have a minor shudder now and I have 22,000 miles on the car. I would prefer to wait a little while until the shudder got worse. I was worried that because brake issues can be attributed to normal wear and tear that the TSB will only be honored up to a certain mileage limit. Has anyone seen the entire TSB for this problem and can answer this question? Thanks
  • Options
    rx330ownerrx330owner Member Posts: 16
    Any suggestions what can be done to beef up the standard sound system. After using my wife’s Honda for a week I realized hers sounds a lot better than the Lexus.
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    this is the first time I hear that...anyway, I don't think you can do much on the headunit, so changing all speakers might be the only way.
  • Options
    Been thinking..............AGAIN!

My 01 AWD RX300's transmission fluid has a burned look and odor at just 38k miles. This on a vehicle that has no tow hitch but with the tow package (extra transmission fluid cooler in front of right front wheelwell) and no designated fluid/replenish maintainance schedule.

I have sent at least three missives to customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com and what I get back each time is that I should check with the dealer about why my RX has burned fluid. Apparently something they do not wish to put in writing.

Up until just this week I have been assuming that the designers underestimated the heating contributed by the VC.

But then I keep hearing/reading about these hesitation problems and that got me to thinking on another thread.

I am absolutely sure that my 01's transmission shifts into another gear, or maybe even neutral, during coastdown.

Some have described it as a "slingshot" effect or as if being bumped from behind just before coming to a full stop. I have attributed this effect to a desire to increase fuel economy and/or reduce the instances of loss of control on a slippery surface as the result of engine braking to the front, drive, wheels.

But suppose for a moment that I'm correct and the vehicle is being shifted into neutral in these instances.

My 01 DOES NOT have an e-throttle so the instant I depress the footfeed the engine will react and apply high output......while the transmission is still in neutral or an inappropreately higher gear??

Now THAT would result in premature BURNING of the transmission fluid!

But now with e-throttle the later models might have a firmware fix that delays the onset of engine torque until the transmission can be shifted into the correct gear and allow time for the clutches or bands to be full seated before excessive torque is applied.

Obviously just guessing, but....
  • Options
    dsandifedsandife Member Posts: 2
    Took my 330 in at about 15k miles, they turned the rotors. Problem returned at about 32k, and I took it back and asked that they replace the rotors this time. They did, along with the pads. Dont know any TSB numbers, didnt need any.
  • Options
    lovemylexus1lovemylexus1 Member Posts: 101
    Hi folks...just had Queenie back at the dealer for another service update. She has several new parts including:

1) The part that fixes the downshift "clunk" per the TSB.

2) New power rear-door switch per TSB (this supposedly takes care of the glitch that caused the door to not open automatically at times).

3)A new dash message center computer. In recent months, the message center backlight wasn't coming on when I would start the car. This always seemed to happen after the car had been sitting for longer than a day (and it never failed that the problem would happen when I would get into the RX in the airport parking lot late at night after a business trip). I complained three times before they finally ordered a new unit a month ago.

Now, since they had to open the dash to check the message center (and then order one), a small dash rattle returned (SURPRISE!). I noted the new rattle in my note to the dealer. The service invoice says the dealer did not act on this complaint. Instead, the invoice says the dealer is anticipatng a new dash rattle "update" from Lexus in November. I pass this info on for anyone who is still having dash rattle issues.

Finally, in my note to the service department, I mentioned the new TSB for the brakes. Mine were acting fine but I wanted more information on the new TSB and inquired whether or not the TSB was only good for a certain number of miles (I believe someone posted this very question to this board). I never got an answer. The dealer just installed a new set of brakes "per the TSB."

I still love the RX and am very interested in the hybrid. BUT, I am going to wait until at least the second model year of the hybrid before I get serious about trading.

I chaulk up all of the issues I've had with Queenie to first model year re-design jitters. Hopefully, any bugs that develop in the 400h will be fixed by the second model year.
  • Options
    ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Drop off for the service on the shifting was done on Jan.04. Now it's comming back. Plus with other problems:
    1.Right windows making creaking noise when going down (intermit)
    2.Smell “rotten egg” odor when hard acceleration
    3.Transmission still hesitate to shift between 10-35 mph (a thug is more notable at lower speed).
    4.Steering wheel vibrate (front tires vibrate)at starting speed, 70 MPH and up.
    5.Driver side leather seat is defect on right side cushion (right thigh support). Defected area is about 2x2 inches.
    Schedule to drop off on 11/9/04. Will post the problem found & solution
    Does anyone has similar problems?
    I has high expectation for this model car (SUV), but it has more problems than any other that I owned.
  • Options
    Taking factory delivery of a BMW X3 next May.

RWD biased AWD.

NO transmission hesitation.

NO infinite wait for RX400h
  • Options
    tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    Congratulation, I hope X3 will meet your need.

IMO for the same price, VW Touareg V8 is much better than X3 3.0.
  • Options
    Touareg weights as much as the Cayenne....

Not a fan of high HP/Torque.

Buying the smaller engine X3 w/manual.
  • Options
    buckeye1buckeye1 Member Posts: 41
    Willard: I hope your X3 doesn't have those pesky fogged windows which plague the northwest.

You'll have to tell us just how good the X3 is and how reliable it turns out to be.

Here's for happy driving!
  • Options
    Regretably, I suspect it will share the same, but somewhat opposite problem. Bosch dominates the european market in the same way does NipponDenso, Denso US, the asian market.

Bosch has an inherent flaw in their design that results in the windshield being CHILLED in a hot and humid climatic resulting in condensation forming, sometimes quite quickly, on the exterior of the windshield.

Provided its not well into the evening or night when this happens it's easily recognizable and just as easily overcome using the wipers.

VW has already come out with a firmware fix for the Touareg but Porsche is still pretending the problem is a "feature".

If you're interested in more information just google for "windshield condensation".

Oh, the Porsche/Bosch "fix", at least from the owner's standpoint, is very much the same as for the Toyota/Lexus system. For the Porsche you simply prevent the windshield from being chilled by de-selecting the windshield airflow outlets in cooling mode once the cabin is cooled to within a few degrees of setpoint.

For the Toyota/Lexus/Denso system you use "footwell" mode to select the windshield airflow outlets during heating mode once the cabin is warmed to within a few degrees of setpoint.

That latter method can be made automatic in the 04 and later RX via a C-best setting.
  • Options
    Doing my homework, research, before placing my X3 order I came across some interesting tidbits that may be helpful to Toyota/Lexus AWD owners.

BMW recommends turning off the DSC, Dynamic Stability Control, during maneuvers such rocking back and forth to get unstuck in a mud "wallow". Turning it off prevents the dethrottling of the engine so one might actually get out of that mud.

On the other hand it also says that in this mode, DSC off, the brake modulation for left/right torque apportioning might result in an automatic "masking out" of the brake application capability to prevent brake overheating due to allowing high rates of wheelspin.

Next year's "feature" for Toyota/Lexus AWD systems?
  • Options
    wikilogwikilog Member Posts: 5
    My 2005 RX330 AWD has a switch to turn VSC off.
  • Options
    rx330ownerrx330owner Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone experienced an annoying rattle come from the rear of the rx330. It sounds like two spoons banging together.
  • Options
    Thinking about using a Ford electric fuel tank selector valve to turn off hot water flow to the climate control system during the summer months.

Anyone tried this or an equivalent.
  • Options
    bpatch2bpatch2 Member Posts: 8
    I was hoping to purchase an RX330 AWD a month or so ago, but the transmission hesitation problems talked about here scared me away. Does anyone know if those problems are still showing up on the '05 AWD models? Thanks!
  • Options
    colvertcolvert Member Posts: 9
    IMHO, I think the transmission problem is way overstated. I don't doubt that some people have valid complaints. We've owned our RX330 for over a year now and couldn't be happier with the car. My wife is the primary driver and she has never complained about any hesitation. When I get to drive it, I try and produce the hesitation. I've been able to make it downshift abruptly but nothing I would consider dangerous or serious enough to form a negative opinion of the car. After driving it this weekend, I feel its smoother now than when we first bought it. Whenever we have passengers we frequently receive compliments on how smooth and quiet the ride is.

My recommendation is to test drive the car. Drive it like you would normally. If there is any hesitation that bothers you then move on to another SUV.
  • Options
    colvertcolvert Member Posts: 9
  • Options
    i've had snow ('04 model) for 2 months now and approaching 3k miles and so far so good on the rattle and hesitation issues. however, i've had a couple of big paint chips plus several minor ones already. i don't find her particularly quiet either but otherwise she's a joy to drive.
  • Options
    luapluap Member Posts: 21
    My RX330 was made in 05/04 - Has anyone noticed when the windows (all 4) are closed using the auto or by holding the up button, that the pressure when fully closed actually distorts the weather striping frame on the outside of the window. You can check yours by looking at the outside window weather stripping to see if it moves when you close the window all the way. When driving, a great deal of noise comes through the door where the window is. To stop the noise, just tap the open or down button to let the window drop a fraction of an inch, the noise disappears and there is still a good seal (no wind noise) around the rest of the window. Seems that the factory adjusted the window to close just slightly too tight which kicks the lower part of the window out, thereby distorting the weather stripping. I'm going to bring my RX in to the dealer and see if they can adjust the window to stop closing a fraction of a second earlier. I also have to have the A/C groaning noise (at 1100 rpm) fixed - it drives me crazy.
  • Options
    i've been told by my service tech guy that there's a tsb for the too tight windows noise so don't take no for an answer =)
  • Options
    Excellent advise!! Do you happen to know the TSB number?
  • Options
    Here's a couple of problems I found with my 2004 RX330. Hope they help!

1. - To those of you who are experiencing a whistling noise when the A/C fan goes to Medium or Low: I had to use a stethoscope (put any type of tubing to your ear also works) and found an annoying whistle (like blowing over the top of a bottle). It was coming from the air sampling intake vent (just below the ignition switch). Dealer found the hose was TOO LONG and it had a kink. He shortened the hose, got rid of the kink, and all is well.

2. - I was getting a creaking noise from what seemed the top of the dash but it turned out to be a bad seal around the windshield. I found it by pressing out on the windshield from the inside with my finger. Had to have the windshield replaced because it cracked when it was removed. It is O.K. now.
  • Options
    sorry no idea =( you might be able to find it in some earlier posts tho. i seem to remember reading about it before.
  • Options
    my1stsuv1my1stsuv1 Member Posts: 19
    I found out these two new TSIBs from NHTSA web site. Does anyone know the details and the fixes? Thanks.

TSIB-00804 Rear Wiper Improvement
    TSIB-00504 Brake Boaster
  • Options
    windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    I'm not sure about the TSB but we had a problem with our rear wiper almost from day one. It just didn't clean the top 2 or 3 inches very well. The replaced the entire assembly when we had it in for the 5000 mile check. Haven't had much rain since so don't know if it's OK. But we're now in our rainy season so I'll find out soon.
  • Options
    zoltanzoltan Member Posts: 1
    I have owned many autos i.e. 04 Acura TL, 04 Acura MDX,, 03 Nissan Murano and I'm sad to say that my June/04 built RX-330 has far greater driver side wind noise than these previous units! What can I do about this owner (and mechanic's) nightmare?
  • Options
    dgraysondgrayson Member Posts: 27
    Read post #820 Try to have them adjust down the window pinch, that should help. Most wind noise comes through the window.
  • Options
    Read #817 - I haven't had it adjusted yet but will post the results.
  • Options
    frankw1frankw1 Member Posts: 3
    I have same sound. It turns out to be the emergency package under the cargo trunk. The wrenches are hitting against each other as car goes over bumps. Just put a piece of tissue paper or towel between the wrench heads.
  • Options
    bronxkidbronxkid Member Posts: 2
    I have the opposite problem with my new RX330. I cannot see a safe distance ahead when driving at night and using low beams. The cutoff line is just 2-3 car lengths ahead and everything beyond that is pitch black. I cannot see signs or obstacles in the road coming up ahead if driving more than 25-30- mph. Anyone else out their experiencing such a problem and if so any suggestions on how to alleviate it.
  • Options
    johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I had the same problem. The owners manual tells you how to adjust the head lights. I did mine and it improved my visability.

I adjusted mine in the garage by turning on the low beams and marking the light cutoff on the wall. The cutoff is very percise and can be easily seen. Then I adjusted the lights upward based on what I had marked on the wall. You don't have to raise them much to get an improvment.

You could try complaining to the dealer and they might raise them but they also might say that they are adjusted correctly.

Good luck.
  • Options
    You are not alone. There is a whole thread on this subject, which you can find by doing a search on this board.

My issue was when driving at night on a windy, mountain road, particularly when going downhill. The cut off is definitely too low and visibility is not as far ahead as I'd like.

John's solution is right on. Just don't overdo it or you might be cited a fix-it ticket, for blinding oncoming traffic.