Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Erm... not in this lifetime :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Why not? A lot of people found those topics very interesting as well as entertaining. A lot was learned by both sides.

The people who want to turn it into a Jerry Springer Show just need to be shut down quickly. Most of the troublemakers are long gone but sadly, a lot of the people who contributed so much have lost interest and left.

And, the people who complained don't have to visit these forums in the first place!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Erm... not in this lifetime

How about I send you a Lamborghini T-Shirt? :D
    As cool as I would look in it, the revival of that topic would constitute the greatest comeback since Lazarus :)

We'll see if we can't think of some new, interesting discussions, though.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

As cool as I would look in it, the revival of that topic would constitute the greatest comeback since Lazarus :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    How about I send you a Lamborghini T-Shirt?

Kristie is holding out for the actual vehicle. :)

Then, old Lazurus will rise again. :P
    Well,

A lot of people DID find those discussions to be interesting. A couple of bad apples caused the death of those two topics that certainly generated a lot of traffic.

Kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water?

Would a Honda keychain help? :)
    It's not like you to talk in triples?
    Guess I really wanted that t-shirt :)

Thought the server was eating my post, but if it did, it came back up.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I see Isell's keychain and raise you a nice Ferrari shopping bag.
    At some point today, you're all going to be e-mailing me for a shipping address for bags/t-shirts/key fobs... stay tuned. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Must have worked for the government at one time-everything had to be in triplicate.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    ok, i thought of one today. I don't know how much action it would get, or if its been tried before, but here goes.

How bout a topic like "Current best new car deals"? And I'm not talking about "msrp is a great deal on this car" kind of thing, but I'd like one place where folks can post specials like $10k off msrp or invoice minus $4k rebates kind of deals. I'm always willing to consider a great deal, but it might be for a car I don't necessarily track in the Prices Paid discussions.

Seems like the topic about Rebates and Incentives would cover it, but the only action there is when people ask about rebates available for a specific car ... if nobody asks, it doesn't get posted there. PLUS, a great deal might not involve currently published rebates. Someone might be out there right now getting a screaming deal on a leftover '05 something or other, but we wouldn't know about it because the '05 rebates/incentives are no longer easily found.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Great idea! We'll get 'er going.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    If a person has a question for a car dealer, which topic should they post their question under?
    I really depends on the question, bobst. Car dealers are welcome to post/respond in any discussions they like!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Antagonist.
    Suppose a person has this question:

"can any of the good folks here inform if race has anything to do with deal one is likely to get ?"

Which topic should they post it under?
    Assume a Martian on Feb 10 had this question for a car dealer:

"Suppose a dirty, almost homeless-looking gent walks in and wants to check out an expensive car? Do you waste your time?"

What topic should he post it under?
    an entire discussion about how many keys one should rightfully expect when purchasing a new car, and what functions said keys should operate.
    Dan, would you believe there is a dealer that believes spare keys should only be used to open the doors but not used to start the car.

Would you be happy with a spare key like that?

Yes, I do expect an answer.
    Of course I would believe it. Look on the bright side. If my wifes spare key only opened the door, then I always get to take the car and don't get stuck driving her Envoy. Sounds good to me. Thanks for the idea.
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I have two questions regarding this? One, where have peoeple had success advertising their cars.

Secondly, what about safety? How do you prevent against the wacko coming to your house and do you just let a stranger take off and do a test drive??

Help and insight needed!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

How to find a quality salesman

If you feel there's a good sales biz discussion title, feel free to suggest it. Otherwise, you've been around long enough to scroll down the list of Smart Shopper discussions and find a reasonably related place to post.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Internet Shopping vs. Traditional methods.

As the E-Commerce Director of a large store I would like to know what people are thinking and I would like to share my thoughts too.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    ... when initially denied. I read and heard a lot of complaints of denying a coverage for more or less bogus reasons. Looks like some dealer guys could explain why and advise on possible steps to take to get it reconsidered.

More on the subject - is it possible that some dealers "double dip", i.e. tell the customer the claim had been denied and charge them, while also collecting warranty money? Why I come with this is, when e.g somebody has 40K timing belt failure, which causes failures of other elements, the dealer would say "shoudn't have cracked the engine" - the biggest load of BS I could hear (so I am on the highway, my car just shut of the engine, I don't know why, I try to crank it couple of times and you tell me that is the reason to deny the coverage :mad: )

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Dealers can deny warranty claims. However, most of the OEMs have an appeals procedure that will reevaluate the claim. Generally, dealers tend to be MORE helpful in trying to get someone a warranty clain as they want you to come back to them for your next purchase.

As for warranty **FRAUD**, sure it happens. Locally, one GM dealer was billing GM for warranty work that was NOT performed. I do not know what the final resolution of the court case BUT ... they are NO LONGER selling GM products.
    Hi isellhondas,
    we've already got one - Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Extended Warranties is the best place for this question... unless you're talking about regular warranties, in which case Warranty Claims Administration is the best place.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Oh yeah, forgot that.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    1) Any Question for a Edmunds Townhall host? :blush:

2) How To Get The Best Price On A Preowned Vehilce.
    (Purchasing strategies to vague and usually focused on new)

3) Ask Jipster (have your financial and personal problems solved by yours truely)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    1) happens every day via e-mail!

2) Purchasing Used Vehicles

3) Um....

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    Sorry for the repost but I'm not getting any answers on any of the boards.
    I was looking at a 03 CTS and it is priced on-line at $22,770 and it has only 23,988 miles on it. It has the (I beleive) the Bose speakers, it has two-toned black and gray interior, and has the wood package. I am trading in a 02 TL (72,466 miles) and was appraised by both Carmax and another dealership. Carmax was willing to give me $11000 and the dealership where the CTS is located will give me $12000. I was only able to get them down to $22,200 and after that they wouldn't budge a bit. Does anyone think this a good deal? I have a pre-approved loan and I'm at 5.7%.
    does the caddy have the moonroof? if so, fair price for you would be around $21k. If no open sky, that's a $750 penalty.

Your TL is, in fact, worth a bit under $11k as a trade ... SO, given they are offering you $1k more on your trade, but taking $1k more on the Caddy (again, only if it has the moonroof), it sounds like the deal is fine. Nobody is getting rich on it, and you aren't killing anyone. So its fair for both parties, IMO.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It has a moonroof. Also I was thinking of going with 55-60 months, I just think doing 48 is just to steep. Thanks!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi herc76. You may want to try posting the questions that you have about buying this car over in the following discussion: "Cadillac CTS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    I already tried that but I never received a response.
  • daynodayno Member Posts: 5
    Hello...Im glad I found this site there is alot of info I am interested in here thanks. I am preparing to start a new career as an auto salesman and would love the opportunity to here the pro's and con's of auto sales as a career from other salesman on the site. I have 12 years experience as a self employed owner operator in 2 different service oriented businesses and every dollar I earned was the result of my selling a service to a customer. I am hoping that this sales experience will translate to auto sales and that I will find success in that line of work and would love to here others experience. If not a new thread then if you could direct me to similar topics that would be great. I have search on a few related keywords and been unable to come up with related discussions...thanks in advance for your help :)
    Hi dayno, and welcome!
    You can join our other members in the auto sales business here: Stories from the Sales Frontlines. That's where they're sharing experiences with each other and with consumers.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    With the '07s out and coming out, there are deals to be made on the '06s and especially on any '05s that might be around. If there are any special negotiating techniques for these cars, or anything special to be aware of, it'd be good to know.

Everyone says "You should be able to get a great deal" but nobody really wants to say what qualifies as that. Should I be able to get under invoice? How far? Do I get dealership extras?

There are questions to be answered here.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi tsgeisel. Generally speaking, a good deal on a leftover vehicle, i.e. one where the next model year is already available, is dealer invoice minus any available customer or dealer incentives. You can find the dealer invoice of the car or truck that you are interested in by visiting the following section of this site: Edmunds.com New Vehicle Prices. If you let me know exactly which model you want I can tell you what incentives are available on it right now.

You may be able to find out more information on what a good deal would be on the vehicle that you want by visiting the following discussion: "Just what is a good deal?". You may also want to check out the following informative article that is available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Buying a New Car.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • skantor8885skantor8885 Member Posts: 8
    It would be really helpful to me and i'm sure a few others to get some tips on negotiating tactics and strategy when buying a car from a dealer cash. How low can you really ask?
    its no different from negotiating as if you weren't paying in cash. The dealer realistically doesn't care if you are paying them or the bank is paying them in your name. As a matter of fact, I suggest not letting them know you are paying cash, if you can, until its time to actually pay. Dealers can make money on the backend by getting you financed in-house. So they MAY give you a bit better deal up front if they think they will make money on you on the backend.

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Any thoughts of setting up a topic around this new reality show?
    Good idea, but I think you'll get more conversation going if you set it up on the Automotive News board.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Any thought about a place which lists current specials, like that killer Explorer lease deal they had a while back, 24 months, $0 down, $299/mo. It would cut down on visiting all the models of interest threads, having them centrally located... Thanks!