Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Welcome Toyota Tundra - III

Comments

• Options
    mikemillermikemiller Member Posts: 71
    Well I just tested my Tundra again. I'm building a house and my roofers just got finished Monday, but they left me with piles and piles of Elk 40 year shingle scrap. I had to take the scrap shingles (loaded and unloaded all by hand myself!) to the recycle center. Here in NC, as I'm sure it is everywhere, it's the only legal place you can take your construction waste. You get weighed when you go in and then weighed when you come out. They charge $25 dollars a ton for shingles. I knew I had quite a load. I piled the shingles higher than the sides of the bed. I weighed 7180lbs when I went in and 5080lbs when I came out. That was a 2100lb load! The truck drove the 50 miles great. Plenty of power from the V8 up the mountains and the frame and bed did not twist at all in the curves. I love this truck.
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    I've followed along through Tundra I, II and III, read all the messages and life was wonderful, then, when driving home yesterday I thought of a question that really puts a twist on what is being said on these discussions...are ya ready?

Since the Tundra is now classified as a full size truck capable of doing everything the Big3 can do and in some Toyota owners opinion better and is now about the same price as the Big3, why then do you not see Dallas cablevision, City of Denver public works, Mr. X plumbing of Los Angles, Big Home construction Co., etc, buying and using this truck? I mean think about it, if it's all everyone is saying why do we not see any being used in the same manner as the Big3?? Don't get me wrong, I considered the Tundra (since I have owned a 89 xcab 4x4 (for 6 yrs) and a 95 T100 xcab 2x4 SR5 (for 4 yrs)), but the rear seating was the deciding factor. No need to reply, just something to think about.
  • Options
    capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    How many years have the big three been selling trucks? This is the first year for the Tundra and they can hardly keep up with the retail demand, much less sell at fleet prices. There may also a political reason you don't see a lot in municipal use (buy american...i know the're made here). Ask the same question 5 years from now...if you need too.
  • Options
    mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Where in NC mountains are you? I lived and went to school in Boone for 6 years and now in Charlotte. I cant wait to get back to the mountains either in NC or elsewhere. Just got a Tacooma TRD from Toyota of Boone. They are extremely competitive and were great to deal with. Hope you enjoy your Tundra.
  • Options
    pickup2pickup2 Member Posts: 13
    On new cars, I usually change the oil and filter after the first 1,000 miles. I went to the Toyota dealer to change the oil and filter at 850 miles since I'm going to Death Valley on Monday. The Service Writer told me not to change the oil until 3,500 miles because the Tundra has break-in oil in it and it would hurt the engine to change it sooner. Is this correct?
  • Options
    samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    Just curious - now that you have had a chance to compare the domestics quality (you do drive a Big 3 truck, right?) against your past experiences with Toyota, how does your current ride compare in quality, fit and finish. Your honest, unbiased (if that's possible) answer would be appreciated. Any regrets? Do you feel like you were forced into buying Big 3 simply because of the smaller rear seat?

Samir
  • Options
    Waynesville, NC near Maggie Valley. I went to ASU too! E-mail me your e-mail address and we'll talk more.
  • Options
    I agree with capt2 about political reasons. The only place I've ever seen a "ferrin" vehicle used by a county, state, or federal government is the resort towns in Colorado that use Saab's for police cars. Why don't you see anyone but the Old3 in stock car racing? Why do you see few "ferrin" makes in the car rental business? The Old3 have huge political pull/lobbyist/extortionist. As far as private companies, I guess they just are ignorant enough to fall for the Old3 propaganda (i.e. "You're not American if you don't buy an American vehicle"). Me, I'm an American that defiantly believes in the American Way, CAPITALISM. I buy what I feel is the best vehicle, to hell with the advertising propaganda. I don't see things changing much on the government front. Too much money involved for the Old3 and it's too easy for everyone to stay with the status quo.
  • Options
    dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    It's been my experience that almost all of the major players in the car rental business use Japanese makes as well as domestic. I've also seen local city governments using T100s for maintenance vehicles and/or my local city using them for traffic control (placing cones, etc.) Most local and state governments will go with the lowest bidders. That's probably why you see more domestic vehicles in local govt.
  • Options
    Good points
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Suits me fine if they don't go fleet sales. One of the reasons Toyota and Honda maintain a higher resale is they aren't high volume fleet models.
  • Options
    Past experiences: 81 Celica (4yrs), 88 Camary (3yrs), 89 Truck (6yrs) & 95 T100 (4yrs). Based on these experiences to the domestic trucks owned , 1972 chevy cheyenne super, short box 2 x4 and my current 99 Silverado 4x4 xcab LT. I would have to say that the Toyota Tundra has the quality, fit/finish edge over the Chev. Silverado. However the gap is not near as wide as it used to be. When I was considering a 95 Chev. pickup the Toyota was by far superior, which is why I bought it. Three reasons I bought the Silverado instead of the Tundra, 1. I required more seating room in the rear since someone or two is always riding in the back everyday. 2. I was ready for a change, lots of the same gauges, pwr locks, pwr windows buttons, etc. in the Tundra that was in my T100 3. the quality of the truck is close to a Toyota. In all likelyhood I'll have a 2005 Tundra when it is redone and the rear seating area is addressed. P.S. So far (9,850 miles) have been great. P.S.S. I will admit I was nervous that I might be in the shop all the time....this has not happened (yet, keep fingers crossed).
  • Options
    samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    Interesting....thanks for the reply. I was curious how a 'cross-over' owner felt about their decision after actually spending time in a Big3. Glad it's working out for you.
  • Options
    ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    I am happy to hear you got a good Silverado. I ended up buying my Tundra over the Silverado due to my fears of rattles, shakes, and service shop visits. I had a flawless 95 S10 and was ready to go Silverado but did a lot of research and found that a large percentage of them were having big problems. I went Toyota for the first time. This is the best truck I have ever owned. I have really grown to like the fact that it is a bit smaller than the others. I don't need a huge truck. You do reassure my faith that Chevy can still make some owners happy. I see you post over at Pacific Audio. What kinda truck did you get? Gears etc.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    No, the oil from the factory is regular oil, I believe 10W30. No one uses break in oil anymore and if they did, that is the stuff you would need to change at 1000 miles.

I don't think it is necessary to change to oil yet but you certainly wont hurt it.
  • Options
    edr3edr3 Member Posts: 16
    Having read your recent post regarding why we don't see more Toyota's in industry, I would agree with the previous poster's comment on "lowest bid." I would add to that the fact that Ford, Chevy and Dodge have, in the past, made low cost basic models of their trucks available to the public. Ford's XL and Chevy's "W/T" for example, were made with almost nothing beyond the steering wheel, seats and a heater. Also, since Toyota is only now getting into a full sized trucks (no disrespect to T100 owners), we may start seeing them in fleet use. I have seen a number of Toyota's in specialty applications, but not nearly as many as the Big 3.
  • Options
    99 Silverado 4x4, xcab, LT, Indigo Blue, as you may not know the LT comes with all the bells & whistles and chev's 5 spoke cast alum wheels, cell phone hookup, trailering pkg, Z71 off road, auto, 3:73 gears, leather, heated seats & mirrors, autotrac.....pretty much every known option to mankind. Must say that the autotrac is awesome, I think Toyota could learn something from autotrac.

I am really glad my truck has been good so far, it is very disturbing to read messages from owners who are having problems. I expected that there would be more messages anyway based on the volume of trucks they sell. I mean if Toyota sells a 100K and Chevy sell over 1M there is bound to be more complaints. I know one thing to be absolute, if I have any continued problem(s) (something that the shop just can't figure out) or lots of problems that they fix but then another pops up, I will definately being trading for a Tundra. But like I said earlier.....so far so good.

Yea, never thought about how chevy & ferd build those "el cheapo low cost" trucks to win bids.....good point.
  • Options
    studebaker1studebaker1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Sierra ext. cab with the 4.8L V8. So far it has been perfect in every way. I am getting 19 mpg with some city, some highway driving. Last Saturday, my brand new truck was hit from behind by a Toyota T100. I was stopped at a light and so was he. Then he started too soon...bam! As we got out I had a sinking feeling in my gut. The front end of his truck was smashed in about six inches. His bumper was bent up and over it's supports and was pushed into the grill. Both of his front fenders were bent, but the hood escaped damage. Then we looked at my truck. After a very careful examination, we discovered two little scrapes in my bumper step pad, and the bumper itself was pushed forward about 1/2 inch on one side. The total to repair my truck came to $116.44. His cost is probably over $1500. This episode is consistent with my experience with Japanese trucks (I've owned two). They are great if you don't whack them. If you do whack them, they crush easily. Be careful!!!
  • Options
    Your crash experience is consistent with being rear ended in a truck. My wife was hit from behind in a '94 Toyota by a series of cars being pushed by a big rig. The car that was pushed into here was demolished. She had a dimple in her bumper. Rear bumpers on trucks are designed to handle very heavy weights and the front is not. Don't translate front end damage as a sign of weakness on Toyota trucks. I promise that if you did the hitting, the results would be similar.
  • Options
    powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    Like cliffy said, reverse the situation and you would have the same results. Keep looking, you may find something wrong with Toyota's and keep telling yourself how perfect your Sierra is because Tundra owners know different.
  • Options
    z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Good enough to be the Silverado's little brother.

The Tundra fits perfectly between the S-10 and the Silverado. (in size anyway, not price) They could rebadge it as the Tundrado, or Silverundra. I know GM and Toyota do this already with the Prizm and Corrola so why not with Trucks too.
  • Options
    Jealousy can be so unbecoming ;-)
  • Options
    Jealous??When one can buy either truck and/or trade if unsatisfied with the truck they bought, why would Z71bill have to be jealous? He can simply go and buy a Tundra if he wanted to. It gets real old having people telling others that "they must be jealous" if they make any comment about their truck. Just because someone points out a fact that you don't like, that does not mean the person is jealous!
  • Options
    trucks4metrucks4me Member Posts: 42
    Tin bends quick now, them limited ones best hope not to run into the back of them Chevrolets for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • Options
    rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Been passing many a broken down shiv. Hear tell you be in one now. weepin' and sobbin', watchin all the "Tindras" passing by whilst ya wait on dat ford tow truck. Now I see they dun compares on that mexican built potmetal in the shiv. Looky like it bend over real easy, kinda like you do.
  • Options
    cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    Hey Rube, watch out you will be kicked off again.
  • Options
    I guess a tongue in cheek comment is lost in print. Relax. Z71 referred to the Tundra as the Silverado's little brother which seemed just as frivolous as my jealousy comment.

I think we all need to keep in mind that this is only sheet metal we are talking about, not the answer to life, the universe and everything.
  • Options
    606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    Ive got a 4wd tundra on order and have a question for existing 4wd tundra owners ONLY. I was somewhat disappointed that a locker or at least a limited slip differential are not available. Do any of you know if the aftermarket manufacturers offer either of these. In the back of the offroad magazines there seems to be applications for a toyota 8" differential--is this the same as in the Tundra????
    Thanks
  • Options
    Following along with the Differential question, can you get the limited slip in a 2 X 4 Xcab from Toyota?

cliffy1, OK, I get it...Ha Ha..or since it's the Xmas season...Ho Ho !
  • Options
    606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    The answer is no. You cant get limited slip or a locker on any of the 2000 Tundras. I don't understand why Toyota didnt make this option available. It is available on the Tacoma and supposedly the Landcruiser has an optional locker.
  • Options
    a4mer_gm_fana4mer_gm_fan Member Posts: 6
    It's going to be Toyota from now on.

Anyone see any way the back seat on the Tundra could be made better with (uncharacteristically-effective) aftermarket equipment? Say a bracket to remount the seat at a better angle at the expense of some reduced leg room? I haven't sat in one yet but I will probably own one soon.

I was leaning toward a Silverado or Superduty Ford for a upcoming vehicle purchase. Reliability (read Toyota) has taken on new importance over the size and gadgetry of the American cars.

Siverado owners take heed, our Christmas suburban story:
    While I was out buying a cell phone (so my wife and I could stay in touch in case one of us had car trouble) - my wife was stranded on the freeway in lanes with our 95 suburban (trans digested itself). Cars were moving past on either side at 75MPH. Lucky there wasn't a tragedy.

The GM tech didn't even open-up the trans, he knew what it was, he'd seen it before - quite a few times I would bet. Sadly, reluctantly, and with some element of shame of defeat (my wife is from Japan) I have owned my last American vehicle.
  • Options
    Them blowup head-gaskets will leave ya stranded as quick as any. Watch for this one if ya go with the limited one. Had a friend lose one just the other day now, left her flat broke quick as any here. Was a 97 Camry with that head gasket gone for sure. Another 700 bucks to the factory on that one. Good luck on this one now!
  • Options
    Geez, 86 vette got farther than that before it dropped tran.

That's just great. Game over. If you can't trust Toyota, who can you trust?

I guess I have to just humor the family and get a Toyota; and if it fails, then I'll be vindicated and can get a plush Silverado.
  • Options
    97 Camry? Geez, even my 86 vette got farther than that before it dropped tran.

That's just great. Game over. If you can't trust Toyota, who can you trust?

I guess I have to just humor the family and get a Toyota; and if it fails, then I'll be vindicated and can get a 6.0 Silverado.
  • Options
    Steve,
    Trucks4me is a bitter chevy owner. He has been banned from this site before under a different name (rubluetoo). Most of what he writes is pure fantasy. He has spread lies and rumors galore. Eventually the monitors will ban him again. In the meantime try your best to ignore him.
  • Options
    I know I'll take some heat on this. I too thought the back seat was too straight up for comfort when I first looked at it. But after getting the seats adjusted to fit my family sizes there is plenty of room for my kids to sit. They both say the seat is comfortable. Maybe it is the fact we Americans don't like to sit up straight anymore. Everybody likes to slouch. Gee, I wonder if that is reason for so many back aches. I wouldn't want to go across the country in it (I wouldn't go in a Silverado either), but for my purposes it works just fine.
  • Options
    lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    rs petty, how old are your kids?

My only reason for not considering the Tundra is the back seat. I've got two small kids, and I was planning to use the truck to haul our camper across the country next year. I figured the back seat would be uncomfortable even for them (4 and 7) for that long of a trip.
  • Options
    14 and 12. My use is mostly short trips (less than an hour) around metro area. My son's friend who is almost 5'6'' said he liked the way he could rest his head back in the corner between the door and headrest. Real comfy for short trips and rear-foot room depends on how far back you and the wife need the seat. The seat is more comfortable than it looks. I probably would have reconsidered if I was going cross country. You may want to consider the Dakota Crew Cab or F150 Crew Cab coming out soon for that cross-country trip. Kids do grow so think about where they will be in 6-7 years if you plan on keeping the truck past payoff. How many hours per day would you drive going cross country? If less than 8 and some nice breaks for exercise it might be a good choice. Add another foot to the cab space and Tundra just might be a perfect truck.
  • Options
    tavisgtavisg Member Posts: 8
    ...and they'll give us the foot. I test drove a LTD w/ leather about a month ago. My son, who's only 4 but he's 4' with lanky legs told me that he did not have much leg room. I could not pull up much closer (i'm 6'2). My wife (5'11) loved the front. Roomy.
    We are dead set on getting the truck, but we are going to wait to see either what the sequoia suv will look like and cost, or if they give us all that foot. Sequoia is scheduled to be out Oct. 2000.
  • Options
    Not suggesting anything about the miles. Just going by the odometer which has already turned over three times. I don't consider it to be phenomenal. My friend is still on his original engine/tranny @240,000 miles. He has a 85 toy 4x4. He wants a Tundra but can't stand to abandon his old truck yet.
    My girl is 10 and rides in the back seat of the Tundra. She says she's comfortable on the 5-6 hour trip to OR, but then again we don't encourage whining. I periodically ride in the back with her and her carseat bound 21 mo old brother, just to hang out with them. I'm 5'11" and find it tolerable but not luxurious. It's comfortable enough I can fall asleep back there. I love the current size of the truck and really wouldn't change it. When I sat in the sierra backseat it had a more reclining angle but the lumbar section curved the wrong way which is awful for your back in the long run. Although the cab is longer the seat angle gobbles up any extra space you might have gained. I guess people will always tend to think bigger=better. I saw a ford superduty crew cab long bed. It had a ridiculous looking, weinerdog appearance kind of like those stretch limo's.
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    I've been in the back of my truck, and have hauled a few friends around. Everybody thought it was comfortable and didn't have a problem. It's not like sitting in the front seat, but it works.

I've sat in the back of our 98 Camary, and personally, between my Camary and my Tundra, I would rather sit in the back of my Tundra. Leg room is about the same between the two, unless you have someone tall sitting in front of you.
  • Options
    This be too much now:
    (quote from 4-Wheeler on them limited ones)

...carry-over parts from previous
    models, including a transmission from the T100,
    and a transfer case from the Tacoma.

This is a good one here. Guess that "full size" truck borrows much from them littler ones. Serious now, can you imagine if Silverado shared a trannie and transfer case with that S-10 now? This tells much on them "full size" ones now. What say on this one here?
  • Options
    Come on Tundra owners, please stop trying to convince each other and the other truck owners of the world that the rear seating area is (to quote a few), "comfortable", "real comfy on short trips", "straight up seat backs..not that bad, keeps me from slouching". You all need to admit that the rear seating area is a total disaster!.PERIOD! Stop clicking your heals together and saying "it's as big as a Silverado", "it's as big as a Silverado"....NOT.
  • Options
    cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    No one is 'trying to convince' anyone. Look, I know the back seat sucks, but I don't drive from this seat and I don't haul many people at that. But what I do know is that even with this seat configuration in my opinion the Tundra is still much better than anything GM puts out. PERIOD.

The Silverado's rear seat could be manufactured by Lazy Boy furniture company but I still would not own one.

By the way, I am glad the Tundra is smaller than a so-called full size truck. If it was exactly the same size I would never have bought the Tundra.
  • Options
    tigerskintigerskin Member Posts: 10
    Although I do not own one, I have to say that is has great dimensions, save the stingy rear seat space. It's not big and blocky like the big 3. Although some styling cues are from the F150, it looks better because it is not that big.

For years GM's had the boxy big grille and little style to it. When they "redesigned" it, all they did was soften the box.
  • Options
    penrosepenrose Member Posts: 31
    I am disappointed that the back seats don't have more room. You would think that Toyota could have found a couple more inches somewhere. It stands to reason that back seats should be designed knowing that front seats are sometimes pushed all the way back. I honestly think my T-100 back seat was more comfortable.
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Bluebeast: I'm not trying to convince you that it's comfortable. That's like trying to convince you that my size 8 Tony Lama boots are comfortable if you wear 9 1/2's. I'm comfortable in the back of my Tundra. The back seat doesn't bother me.

Penrose: Most compact and mid size cars have a problem with back seat room when the front seats are positioned all the way back. Especially if the person in the back seat is tall. I've never sat in the back of a T-100
  • Options
    The sierra quality is horrible. We know it and you know it! Stop with the sour grapes already! Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to sit in the abomimable Tundra rearseat. Listening to you guys whine about it you'd think it was invented by the [non-permissible content removed]'s to torture people. I've rode in the sierra backseat. There was no real improvement in comfort and the truck creaked, groaned and pinged the entire test drive. I was actually considering a sierra and I'm glad I drove it before I wasted my money.
  • Options
    lhyamalhyama Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a New Toyota Thundra SR5 4x2 V8, I love it. When I start the car sometimes it turns on then immediatly turns off. When I go to start it again it starts fine. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or had any suggestions for me. By the way I paid 865 over invoice at Longo Toyota in Southern California. I thought this was a great deal for Southern California since all of the other dealers were up tight about letting their Thundra's go
  • Options
    jnsheiwatjnsheiwat Member Posts: 1
    lhyama,
    Are you sure it's physically starting? Some Toyotas have an extended crank, i.e. instead of going broom hum hum hum, it goes broom broom broom hum hum hum. Example 4Runners, they have a 10-second start, i.e. it could take 10 seconds to actually start. Please do not try this if you are sure that it is physically starting, if that is the case take it into the dealer near you, you may need to leave it over night so that they can start it in the morning or late at night.
This discussion has been closed.