Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    finallyat150, you know, I never looked to see if it had the under seat storage box. I guess I'll find out when I pick up the new truck. ;^)
    abac1, The Tundra I wanted was on the dealers lot but it had the 5.7. He's going to locate the truck I want. I did not ask him how long it would take to locate the truck. I can wait. I still cant believe he took $2,500 off the price!!! YA HOOOOO!
  • abac1abac1 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info ackboater. Congrats for your deal. I hope I can do as well when the time comes. AS I posted earlier, the dealer where I took my test drive said they would be sellling a MSRP for some time but as I go by there inventory seems to be building. Do not expect factory rebate but I hope as inventory increases I can get a deal like yours. Good luck with the truck.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    That isn't totally clear to me. Congratulations!

Did you test drive the GM? Or anything else?

Started a new forum, covering GM vs. Toyota, with Chrysler playing the "X-Factor", check it out at:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11c385

DrFill ;)
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    the undeseat storage box woul dbe an item you had requested, if you hadn't asked for it they would not automatically add it. You can see a picture of it at toyota.com under accessories.
  • finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    thanks dreasdad. yeah, i orderd on in my tundra
    looks like one could store a few tools, coveralls, and wet weather gear, that's about it. Good enough though.
  • jaymack1979jaymack1979 Member Posts: 10
    First let me say that I have owned the following:
    1. 1995 ck1500 4x4 =good truck
    2. 1999 ck2500 4x4 =good truck
    3. 2001 ram2500 4x4 diesel =great truck
    4. 2006 siverado 1500 4x4 crew cab LEMON. I put 25k on this truck in 5mos = new water pump, new transfer case, new transmission seal, new tires(recall), "beam shake" vibration, 4wd fron differential made horrible noises when engaged.

5. 2007 TUNDRA SR5 DOUBLE CAB 5.7

I never thought I would own a Toyota, however the last truck ended my relationship with the "American" brands. I drive 1200 miles per week for work and have a farm on the side. I USE a truck. My Tundra already has dents and missing paint inside of the bed and I've had it almost 2 weeks.

MY OPINION OF THE TUNDRA:
    DISLIKES:
    -ergonomics of the cab, radio/climate controls hard to reach
    -keyless remote will not allow doors to be locked while engine is running, therefore I have to use the key to lock the door while it warms up in front of the hotel in the mornings
    -auto healights are not standard... did not realize this until after I purchased
    -the sheet metal in the bed is waaayyy thinner than the big3 trucks, this is fine if you do not use the bed for things other than labradors and golf clubs
    -the cup holders are too deep for standard coffee cups
    -the tilt/telescopic steering does not tilt down far enough compared to the chevy
    -headlights/interior lights do not shut off auto like the chevy if you forget to turn them off
    -off road package rides like a road wagon compared to Z71
    FOLKS, THESE ARE THE ONLY BAD THINGS I CAN SAY ABOUT THIS TRUCK AFTER 1700 MILES!

WHAT I LIKE
    -Handling in the snow/ice in 2wd, drive sensibly and the traction control is awesome on treacherous roads
    -POWER! waaayyy plenty power, I have towed three loads of hay thus far and have no complaints whatsoever
    -handling on curves and in freeway traffic=excellent, very tight steering
    -transmission w/ manual gear selection, I'm in the TN mountains this week and being able to use the console shifter to hold gears 3 and 4 going down hill is awesome
    -the 6spd auto is very smooth
    -the back section of the cab has plenty of room for a clothes bar, file boxes and luggage
    -cubby holes everywhere
    -power plugins everywhere, I can charge my bluetooth device, phone, laptop and gps all at the same time
    -GAS MILEAGE!!!interstate 17.5-19.8, in town 15-16,
    this is even better than my last 5.3L gm. VERY HAPPY!!!

However, this truck has soooo much unloaded power, is is very, very tempting to take off hard and fast... not good for fuel economy. It is worth it every now and then just to feel yourself glued against the seat... with the pedal only pushed 1/3 down at take-off. I have yet to make this vehicle spin tires on take-off. THE TRACTION CONTROL IS GREAT. Hook up and go!!!

All in all, at this point, this is the best truck that I have owned. When driven sensibly, the fuel economy is unmatched for a 381hp truck. please feel free to email me for any other questions you may have.
  • a47chucka47chuck Member Posts: 15
    jaymack, thanks for the mileage figures. I'm just on my second tank and getting about the same driving rural and small town. Haven't gone on an extended hi-way trip yet but, based on my '06 4.7L 'Runner, that's about the difference I expected. As for the lights, I believe that if left on they will shut off in about 20 minutes. If a door is left open the interior lights will do the same. Mind you, I haven't tested this yet, but that is the way the 'Runner works. Should at least save you from a dead battery. And, yes, this is one quick truck!
    Great post jaymack! This is what this thread is all about, good job. I a waiting on my special order Tundra to get here.

So, you do have the 4x4 Tundra? And getting that kind of mileage? Wow!

Hey, as far as your cup holder is concerned, measure and cut you a piece of wood that will fit down into the deep cupholder making a kind of pedestal, woahla! I have done this before and it works well. Then, suddenly you need the deep cup holder back, just take out the wood plug.

Good luck.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I saw two of the the new body style Tundras on the way home from work today. One Black and one silver, both DC. :shades:
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Anybody seen this yet?
    Alot of talk about the "cheap silver dash", curious about the wgrain option.
    Yes I have the 4x4. Please not however that I have been taking off easy and running constant speeds of 77 or 72. Its not very difficult to unintentionally take off at a stoplight and glue yourself to the seat... a great way to skew your mpg avg.

Today I drove about 185 miles and noticed a slight vibration at 72mph for a short stretch. I was unable to duplicate it later. The steering wheel would vibrate back and forth... I hope it was just the road. I dont have time to jack around with another truck like the last chevrolet I had.
    Yes, the dash is kinda "cheap" looking, mainly because all of the controls are HUGE. However, the cheap silver doesnt show dust as bad. On my Tundra, the dash face is the only thing silver, the rest of the mammoth dash (reminds me of F150) is gray and is a dust magnet.

Keep in mind though, the target consumer for this truck probably doesnt care what the dash looks like as long as it is functional.
    jaymack1979, Thank You for taking the time to write your excellent post! VERY well done!
  • rmartinez1rmartinez1 Member Posts: 12
    Well its two weeks and I still love my new tundra. MPG is about 16.5 mostly highway but with the a/c running most of the time now. In terms of the interior, the black surface portion tends to show the dust alot, so I guess I'll have to do a lot of dusting. Still getting used to the tow mirrors, specially on the right side. But I love it and still happy that I picked the tundra over the chevy silverado. The Texas edition really rocks.
  • inthemarket2inthemarket2 Member Posts: 2
    Jaymack,

As for your comment:

-the sheet metal in the bed is waaayyy thinner than the big3 trucks, this is fine if you do not use the bed for things other than labradors and golf clubs

What thickness are you talking about and how did you figure this out? If a person puts lawnmowers/lawn equipt in the back do we run the risk of puncturing or severly denting the metal?

Thanks
  • marksharkmarkshark Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at purchasing a Tundra Crewmax when available or a Chevy Avalanche. The pros on the Tundra are the obvious Toyota quality, which is huge, however the Avalanche has the midgate and the bed covers and the chevy guys are preaching improved quality and the new warranty. Any thoughts?
  • axelhobsonaxelhobson Member Posts: 1
    I just have to say test drive them both, one right after the other. The power, fuel economy, and overall quality of the new Tundra is unmatched. I thought the new Silverado was a great truck until I compared the two in the Prove It! tour. There was no contest, ESPECIALLY with a payload in the bed or a trailer.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    What use is the Midgate?

Tundra Crewmax has a power rear sliding window that you can lower down. Standard on the Limited and availabe on the crewmax.
  • carz69carz69 Member Posts: 3
    Understand, if you are posting that the Toyota quality is unmatched? Then why would anyone compare trucks. Logic would dictate buying the Toyota.

Does this sound correct? :confuse:
  • 07wildbill07wildbill Member Posts: 29
    amen brother! i would like to know, if any other 07 tundra owner is experiencing vibration in the steering? thanks.
    welcome back wildbill. looks like the poor gas mileage conspiracy has gone south. apparently, most folks are getting great mileage out of the beast.

now we are down to faulty fuel gauges and steering vibration?

lol,
    jaymack wrote: "Today I drove about 185 miles and noticed a slight vibration at 72mph for a short stretch. I was unable to duplicate it later."

Salient features of his steering vibration experience:

1) slight vibration
    2) short stretch
    3) unable to duplicate

Diagnosis: It was the road!
    would you like the service managers name and dealership that informed me of the fuel gauge problem? thanks.
    True, the road could be the culprit... however, while this was happening I changed lanes several times and even put one side onto the shoulder. None of this changed the vibration. It would have to be a very cosistent imperfection in the road. I hope this WAS the case.

On the issue of fuel mileage... driving 80mph most of the way with traffic from Bristol, TN to Nashville, TN did not seem to alter the avg mpg. Just above 18mpg when I filled up in Clarksville, TN.

In the 5.3L Chevy 4x4, this rate of speed would have me in the low teens... even with a 3.42 rear diff.
    thanks for the feedback jaymack.
    I figured this out by denting the heck out of the front of the bed, fenderwell and tailgate. As mentioned in an earlier post, I actually use my truck like a truck was used 10 years ago before the extended cabs took over suburbia. I had a couple of sets of 125# weigh cells for a set of livestock scales in the bed while putting them in, I slipped on some ice and slid them into the fender well, later, they slid about 6" into the front of the bed when I hit my brakes. I dont recall how the dent ended up in the tailgate... I think from a post driver You can also feel the weakness of the material by mashing donwn on the tailgait metal or jumping into the bed. Granted these were some harsh actions, however the Chevs and Dodges I've had recently could withstand similar abuse and only lose paint.

To answer your question inthemarket2, you probably dont risk a puncture wound from lawn equip, but definitely sever denting. The sensible thing to do is get a bedliner or spray-in liner... if you are worried about pretty that is.

I usually dont get too upset over the first dent/scratch, but caving a section of the bed in about 1" from the back of the cab made me a little sick. It could have been prevented.

I only have 2100 miles on it now. Its scary to think what it will look like in 15000 more. :cry:
  • a47chucka47chuck Member Posts: 15
    2100 miles! By umpin' yiminny you are certainly going to be our durability tester. Thanks for the honest and informative info. I had my bed sprayed with Line-x so I guess I'm one of those guys who worries about pretty, at least a little bit anyway. Hey, if it gets real bad, there's always a tonneau cover.

I only put about 1K mi. on my V10 F250 last year because of the fuel mileage. 11 MPG empty (didn't seem to matter how I drove) and 8-9 towing a 3 horse trailer. Not to mention that the thing was huge and hard to park. Are you getting your mileage loaded or empty? Thanks again for your posts.
    no thanks wildbill. i am not at all worried about fuel gauge problems. if my tundra develops fuel gauge problems, i will simply have it replaced under warranty.

i am not going to pass up on this quality of a truck because of possible fuel gauge problems.

it is very good to see that most drivers of this new truck out there have put to sleep the myth that they are getting poor gas mileage. Poor fuel mileage is difficult to fix. Poor fuel gauges are easy to fix.
    hey jaymack,

have you had any more experiences with the steering vibration since last post?

By all of your previous posts, it seems fair to say that you are not the "average" example of style of use for a pickup truck. i may be wrong, but to me you seem to be a guy that really puts a truck to the test. that is good, you are a value to guys like me that dont really put the truck through "heavy use".

i will most definately get my bed sprayed immediatly upon delivery.

Question: when you experienced the steering vibration, did you have a load in the truck?

thanks.
    thanks for your honesty jaymack. i'am in the oil field business. our trucks see hard work 24-7. the toyota bed looks pretty weak from your conversation. we own a fleet 3/4 & one ton diesel trucks the beds in these trucks get hammered day in and day out and do'nt look that bad. the bed is a critical part of a truck. we need trucks that can stand up to heavy work, like you said lawn mowers are ok. if toyota wants my business they are going to have to strenghten the bed. "finally" the spray in liner will not protect against dents my friend.you better get that front end checked out real soon for safety purposes.pleasure chatting with ya!
    well, there you go wildbill. you and i have totally different plans for trucks. We are not looking for the same features in a truck. you need a truck that you can beat to death, and it holds out (maybe jaymack too), and that's fine. i am out on the limb betting that in the end, jaymack has found his truck, you can keep searching and waiting, that's fine.

me, on the other hand; i don't need a truck that will withstand the beatings you put on them. i just need a truck, a good, quality chick magnet. One I can tool around in, and occasionally load up a bunch of material at Lowe's to build a deck and stairway into the hot-tub in my back yard for the chicks to hang in while i polish my truck.

Good luck in your search. thank God, my search is over. It's time to party!
    I subscribe to this forum and (as most probably do) get alerts with new posts. It sure would save us all some time if when we get these alerts, they were worth reading. How about stopping all the useless posts? Seems like some of you have nothing better to do then bash each other in wasteful posts. Be the better member and don't respond to useless posts.
    to answer a couple of questions:
    1. MY fuel economy postings are unloaded driving
    2. have had no additional steering vibrations

btw... the heated windshield wipers are NICE.
    Saw a few new model Tundras out today. Seems to be really taking off saleswise here in MA. :shades:
    well, that's quite impressive then jaymack. I will take 18 mpg highway at 80mph in an unloaded full size pickup any day. Especially one with a 5.7 powerhouse in it. That 6 speed tranny must be doing the trick. I imagine your only turning about 2100 rpm at 80mph, right? When i test drove one, i believe i was at about 1900 rpm at 70mph.

good news on no more steering vibrations.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The insults get your posts deleted... if they continue, then you follow. Got it?

kcram - Pickups Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    1 is it is ok for the bed to beat up, the other is 'it is not ok'.
    i always thought it was 'supposed to be' in the first catagory. t and c must be double walled on the sides you can see from the outside, right?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Thank you , thank you mfhall.

Well said , I have been trying to put into sentences exactly what you mention. All these useless bickering .
    I remember when a forum used to be a source of information now it has become a forum of defamation.
    Thanks again.
    Lou
  • wileetundrawileetundra Member Posts: 24
    As a new forum member I want to thank all the other members that have shared so much helpful info on the 2007 Tundra and related issues. This is a great forum and I learned a lot in a short time which was helpful for my new purchase decision. Now on to the good stuff.

I wanted the Tundra 4x4 Double Cab Standard Bed Limited with 5.7L V8, Tow Package, DVD Navigation, and 20" wheels. All the local dealers told me there were only 4 vehicles like that in the whole region in the color that I wanted. My favorite dealer didn't have one initially but they got one a few days later. After the usual haggling I got them down to 7% below MSRP sticker price but this was still 3.4% above invoice. Initially I felt this was not the best deal but then none of the other dealers would touch it and some even laughed at me for asking for a Tundra below MSRP. Normally I negotiate to only $500-$800 above invoice but this didn't seem possible while the Tundras are so new and popular. It didn't help matters that they just had a Bass Pro Shops test-drive event in my area a week ago so the dealers were flooded with orders. I hope I got a fair price and didn't get robbed by my enthusiasm.

I had started out looking for a 2007 Tacoma to replace my 2002 Tacoma which was recently totaled in a wreck. The Tacoma was nice but the seats sit too low to the floor, which makes my legs stick up too close to the steering wheel and is uncomfortable especially on long trips. Of course the dealer had me sit in the Tundra and WOW - no comparison - leg room and comfort were 300% better, sort of like comparing a metal folding chair to a lazy boy recliner.

I read some reviews online about the 20" wheels not riding as smooth as the 18" wheels. After test driving both I couldn't tell the difference but I am not a performance driver so I would appreciate more comments in this area. If the ride is similar then what is the benefit of the larger wheels? 80% of my usage will be casual driving to/from work and home with the remainder being mostly light hauling and an occasional trailer towing. I didn't really need this huge work truck for my needs but the comfort and features were so much better than the Tacoma that I had to have it.

The drive home was the most fun I had in a vehicle in a long time. After the recent wreck I am so over-protective of the new Tundra that I try to keep a 1/2 mile no-drive zone around me at all times. :-) Despite my best effort some sleepy old lady in a little chevy sedan swerved over into my lane so I laid on the horn. I was surprised that it wasn't louder but she jumped about 12" and moved back over promptly so maybe it was loud for her and just quiet for me inside the Tundra. I will have to test it outside and if still not loud enough then I will have to get one of those awesome horns from hornblasters.com. ;)

I was able to synch my mobile phone to the nav package with ease and made a few calls through the handsfree kit - amazing quality and so much better than all similar kits I have used in the past. The GPS functions are great but the legal disclaimer after every startup is very annoying already so I will certainly be looking for a hack to disable that if possible. The backup camera is simply amazing - just wish it would allow me to switch the camera on when needed and even provide other cameras as an option for help when parking in tight spots or backing up a big trailer. I can rig up a camera switch and add my own small bullet cameras but it would be nice to have a factory option to save me the time.

Storage compartments are everywhere. So many that I will have to seriously plan out the usage of each one and then take a few weeks to memorize the layout. The carpeted floor mats were typical but not as nice as they should be for the price and they don't seem to match the richness of the limited package. I replaced them with extra-large black rubber mats that look better, hold more water and debris, and are easier to clean. Dash instruments are great and all the data available on the DVD NAV screen is amazing, such as maintenance reminders, personal memos, calendars, etc. Much more than a NAV system. I didn't even know that the truck has voice command until I got it home. "Nearest Italian Restaurant, ATM, Gas Station" etc. all promise to become favorite commands when traveling. The emergency mode seems helpful to take you to the hospital, police, fire department, etc. but I wonder if it also sends off any special signals for vehicle locator service (doubtful since this would be dependent on your cell phone).

Must have accessories for me over the next few months will include brushed stainless steps, bedliner, hard multi-section bed cover, hood protector, and possibly front and rear sonar if this can be added and is worth the hassle. I am considering a Line-X liner but have never used spray-in products before. Any comments on the comparison and value vs. traditional drop in liners? I have always ordered my bed lids from Sport Truck Solutions. in So. Cal. but wonder if there is a better lid option out there? The Top Dawg model looks like the ticket but I am open to ideas...

Will share more after driving the Tundra for a month or so.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    :surprise:

Rocky
    congrats wileetundra! i bet your truck is nice. what do you mean about not being able to switch the backup camera on when needed? I thought the camera is active every time the vehicle is put into reverse?

anyway, you can't go wrong with Line-x. I have had it done on many trucks and always liked it. Very durable and keeps things from sliding around in the bed of the truck. Just don't watch when the install it cause it ain't fun watchin them strip all the paint out of the bed of your truck.

thanks for the Sport Truck Solutions site. I'll check them out.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    That is the exact Tundra that I am waiting for! However, I can't decide on color. What color did you get and what color is the interior? I wasn't crazy about the Tundra interior but I haven't seen the Limited.
    Saw 3 new Tundras on the way to work this morning. Two Black and one in the deep red color which is a really nice color for this truck. My boss is talking about getting one to tow his EVO to track day with. Apparently his 02' Silverado has a few issues and lacks the grunt to pull the toy around with. So it's between the new Tundra and a really good deal on an F-150 KingRanch. I think the Toyota will be the ideal workhorse. :shades:
  • bgil1bgil1 Member Posts: 4
    congratulations on your new truck. I have had mine for about a week and I think it is outstanding. Mine is an sr5, 4x4, double cab white with black interior. I very rarely tow so I went with the 4.7 liter..plenty of power for me.

I traded in a 3/4 ton long bed dodge diesel, and this one rides so much better and of course turns on a dime compared to the dodge. My first tank of gas was 16..mainly around town so I expect it to do a bit better over time.

I bought and installed a set of black nerf bars from the dealer for my short legged wife. Nice stuff and not too far off in price.

The only thing I am not wild about is the wheels. Mine came with "styled steel" Hopefully I will get used to them.

I have ordered an access roll up cover for the bed and will get it mid march. Finally, I had the bed line xed and it looks great..

Great truck !! :)
    Any cmts on whether it's worth it (some have it already installed) or best to avoid?
    Exterior Paint Sealant - does this peel over time?
    Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner
    Interior Fabric Protector
    Undercoating/Sound Shield
    Glass Etch Theft Deterrent
  • bgil1bgil1 Member Posts: 4
    My take is that you don't need to pay for paint sealants, interior fabric protector or undercoatings.

The dealers all try to sell you this stuff. In the past I have bought the package, but really I have never noticed any difference. You can buy scotch guard and do your cloth seats and a good wax for your clear coat and be good to go. I don't have any experience with the glass etch theft deterrent.
    Occasionally it would be nice to switch the backup camera on while driving to monitor road conditions, check out the trailer hitch and chain status, see how close the tailgater is while you are stopped at a red light or parked at the store, etc. It would also be helpful to monitor other cameras since I plan to connect them to the video input via a switching device. I found out there is a software hack available for the NAV unit which will allow the camera input to be used all the time and/or for a DVD to be played on the dash monitor so I plan to get this soon.
    I got the Pyrite Mica color which is just the right color to hide most of the dirt and minor scratches between car washes. The brighter colors show bugs and dirt right away and the darkest colors show road salt, dust, and streaking. The black trim and accessories also go well with the Pyrite color and the vehicle doesn't stand out as much for police and thieves. I would have also accepted the Timberland Mica, Nautical Blue Metallic, or Impulse Red Pearl but fortunately they had my first choice color available which was a real long shot with all the options that I wanted. The limited interior is awesome, way better than the cloth standard and SR5 packages which we checked out. The SR5 had a bright silver trim on the dash which looked junky IMHO.