Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Check out the latest from the Edmunds Editorial Team
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Tuesday, March 19 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

2000 Ford Expedition won't start

1shawn_endicott1shawn_endicott chester vermontPosts: 4
edited December 2015 in Ford
so the other day I had a fender bender at about 20 mph it dented my passenger side bumper and broke my parking light but not my headlight I was able to drive about 5-8 miles then it shut down and still wont start something was leaking pretty bad not oil possibly antifreeze and/or tranny fluid any ideas why it wont start I could really use some help here

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,844
    You might check your inertia (fuel shut off) switch, located in the passenger footwell area behind a compartment door. Look for a red button to push and reset.

If it's not that, then you have to start a methodical diagnosis to see if you are lacking fuel to start, or spark to start.

One quick test would be to squirt some starting fluid into the air cleaner---if it starts and runs for a few seconds, then you have a fuel delivery problem. If it still doesn't start, then you probably have an ignition problem of some sort, or no signal to your fuel injectors. In that case, buy a simple spark tester from Autozone or Amazon.com, and test for spark as you crank the engine.

In any event, I wouldn't run this vehicle very far, if at all, until you find out the source of the leak---sounds like coolant leaking, given the location of your accident, but it could also be from a transmission cooler.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• 1shawn_endicott1shawn_endicott chester vermontPosts: 4
    thank you mr shiftright I will try all your sugestions in the morning once again thank you very much
    so yesterday it would only make a single click sound today I checked the fuel shutoff switch that was in the proper position so I figured I would check to see if it would start and today I hear constint clicking till I release the key from the start position I also hear a sound it sounds as if its a motor running but cant figure out what it is
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,844
    Oh I wonder if you starter motor is "motoring"--that is, it is spinning but not engaging the flywheel ring gear.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

how could I check that is there a way I'm guessing the impact could have jerked it outta place?