Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Why I Didn't Buy One - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 9,857
edited January 2016 in Chevrolet
imageWhy I Didn't Buy One - 2016 Chevrolet Volt

I was going to buy myself a 2016 Chevy Volt. Here's why I didn't.

Read the full story here


«1

Comments

  • miata52miata52 Posts: 114
    Great Article, Mike. #9 on your list is all it takes for me: I'll never buy a car with a cheap interior (it's cost Subaru 2 cars from me).
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Posts: 143
    I've been intrigued by the Volts powertrain as well, but like you, the car just doesn't meet my needs. I would love to have the Volts powertrain upsized and put into something that can be used as the family errand runner, e.g. minivan or 3 row SUV. Frankly, most of our gas isn't burned up in my commute to work, it's burned up by my stay at home mother of a wife running errands and taking the kids places, most trips of which are between 3-14 miles round trip. I know they make a Tahoe hybrid, but I want something that has similar range and EV capabilities as the Volt. The thing may not put up the record efficiency numbers a small car could, but for us, it would spend almost it's entire life running in EV mode.
  • "As Mr. Elfalan said, the Volt has a regen paddle instead of an aggressive regen system built into the brake pedal itself."

    This is incorrect. It has the paddle AND it blends regen with the brake pedal. IIRC, in Volt 1.0, all braking up to about 0.3G was through regen. With a bigger battery, I'd expect the new Volt to do a little better.

    Drive around in D for a while and check the front brake rotor temperatures. They'll be barely above ambient.
  • Question Mike: Do you want and/or can only have one car?
  • Good observations Magrath. Buzz killed it for me (a good thing)
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Posts: 1,021
    edited January 2016
    csubowtie said:

    I've been intrigued by the Volts powertrain as well, but like you, the car just doesn't meet my needs. I would love to have the Volts powertrain upsized and put into something that can be used as the family errand runner, e.g. minivan or 3 row SUV. Frankly, most of our gas isn't burned up in my commute to work, it's burned up by my stay at home mother of a wife running errands and taking the kids places, most trips of which are between 3-14 miles round trip. I know they make a Tahoe hybrid, but I want something that has similar range and EV capabilities as the Volt. The thing may not put up the record efficiency numbers a small car could, but for us, it would spend almost it's entire life running in EV mode.

    Then you should buy a Highlander Hybrid, which I believe will check off pretty much all your boxes. The Tahoe hybrid is a joke. Like the BMW X5 hybrid is for people that want the badging to tell everyone they have a hybrid, but don't actually care about fuel economy.
  • You're complaining about the style, yet want the volt powertrain in an i3? Yikes man, what the crap?!? Look with your eyes at the i3 and see the horror! The horror!
  • Mike, I hope you have not completely ruled out the i3 with the range extender engine.

    We (as a state) are so close to completing the Quick Charge gaps up and down California via the 101 or 99. When done, you'll only need to stop 2-3 times between LA and SF to quick charge and gas up. I just did the trip last week in my Leaf and stopped 8 times - quick charging most of the way. Range extending i3 with cult that in half if not more.
  • mfennell said:

    "As Mr. Elfalan said, the Volt has a regen paddle instead of an aggressive regen system built into the brake pedal itself."

    This is incorrect. It has the paddle AND it blends regen with the brake pedal. IIRC, in Volt 1.0, all braking up to about 0.3G was through regen. With a bigger battery, I'd expect the new Volt to do a little better.

    Drive around in D for a while and check the front brake rotor temperatures. They'll be barely above ambient.

    Note I said "an AGRESSIVE regen system". It has one, it's just weak. I want regen cranked up to 11. I want it to act the way it acts with the paddle pulled all the time.
    -mm
  • Mike, I hope you have not completely ruled out the i3 with the range extender engine.

    We (as a state) are so close to completing the Quick Charge gaps up and down California via the 101 or 99. When done, you'll only need to stop 2-3 times between LA and SF to quick charge and gas up. I just did the trip last week in my Leaf and stopped 8 times - quick charging most of the way. Range extending i3 with cult that in half if not more.

    Completely ruled out. See Riswick's excellent post about using the range extender here http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/i3/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-bmw-i3-testing-the-range-extender.html.
    -mm
  • moridin2 said:

    Question Mike: Do you want and/or can only have one car?

    One commuter-type car is enough.
    -mm
  • s197gts197gt Posts: 484
    enlightening about driving fleet vehicles for people who have never experienced it (i have).

    sounds like you can never really get comfortable in your daily driver. as soon as you do you have to give it to someone else.

    also, if anyone has ever had a roommate that was a slob... kind of the same experience when it comes to a fleet car, but now you are sitting in their filth/stench. at least your cars are new and clean up pretty easily. sharing a 10-year old car with over 100k miles is no fun.
  • jakek66jakek66 Posts: 60
    Buy a GTI. Good gas mileage, none of the headache. Pretty much solves every issue you have
  • nagantnagant Posts: 176
    My cars have been locking themselves for years (speed activated) and quite cant figure out why one would not want the doors locked.
  • dg0472dg0472 Posts: 88
    Regarding number 3: go to the IIHS site and look at the results for the YP Sedona. I predict that by the time every car has been redesigned and needs to be crashed again that there will be no car you can buy.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 58,900
    I'm not sure why a dead pedal even matters in an automatic car. Should be plenty of room under there even for your canoes! :)

    MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

    Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

  • dg0472 said:

    Regarding number 3: go to the IIHS site and look at the results for the YP Sedona. I predict that by the time every car has been redesigned and needs to be crashed again that there will be no car you can buy.

    Subaru Outback doesn't auto lock (nor do most of the Germans) an it's at the top of the pack. Auto door locks aren't a crash safety thing, they're a "don't rob me" safety thing. -mm
  • nagant said:

    My cars have been locking themselves for years (speed activated) and quite cant figure out why one would not want the doors locked.

    I'm a grownup. I can lock my doors if I don't feel safe. I don't need or want the car to decide that for me with no override. -mm
  • willin58willin58 Posts: 35
    edited January 2016
    Since when can you NOT program the auto-locking in a GM car for the last 5+ years? In the menu, there should be an option to auto-lock the doors upon shifting out of park, once moving, or not at all. This doesn't sound right.

    Edit: Per the manual, it cannot be changed, but you can program the unlocking portion. Very odd.
  • mfennellmfennell Posts: 91
    edited January 2016

    mfennell said:

    "As Mr. Elfalan said, the Volt has a regen paddle instead of an aggressive regen system built into the brake pedal itself."

    This is incorrect. It has the paddle AND it blends regen with the brake pedal. IIRC, in Volt 1.0, all braking up to about 0.3G was through regen. With a bigger battery, I'd expect the new Volt to do a little better.

    Drive around in D for a while and check the front brake rotor temperatures. They'll be barely above ambient.

    Note I said "an AGRESSIVE regen system". It has one, it's just weak. I want regen cranked up to 11. I want it to act the way it acts with the paddle pulled all the time.
    -mm
    You want it more aggressive when you take your foot off the go pedal? That's not what you wrote. :) Because when you use the brake pedal it gets as aggressive as possible within the limits of the system.

    EDIT: I see that your following sentence clarified. It does not say the same thing as the first. :) Totally agree with you about the e-golf.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.