Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Am wondering if other 2004 Maxx folks have a creaking rear deck cover? I've noted during temperature changes the cover starts making small creaking noises over bumps. If I go back and slap it around a bit it creaks a lot, then settles into another "state" and creaks very little. That is, until the temperature changes again.

Was this changed for 2005? I suspect the problem is where the edges (top/carpet and bottom/plastic) fit together. I could attempt to flood the inside of the lid with a sealer of some kind but that's pretty drastic. Just wondering.....
  • 3chevies3chevies Member Posts: 8
    Actually, the full indication was an annoyance but I probably would have let it go. What lead to us getting the tank replaced the first time was my wife was making a left turn and the car stalled mid turn. Luckily no traffic was coming, it was a pretty dangerous intersection. But she got the car running again right away but it bucked and kicked and stalled all the way home. Had it towed to the dealer and they determined the fuel tank needed replacing. At that time I hadn't known that this was a known problem. I did the research after it stalled and found out others were having this problem too.
    Maybe it will never happen to you, but if it is covered under warranty I would get it replaced now, and if something else shows up that will be covered too. Instead of waiting for it to stall at a bad place. My opinion.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    From what I was told it causes the Fuel gage issue you are seeing and an early warning of low fuel which should be a consistent issue. Under certain conditions it will cause Check Gas Cap and even less likely a Service Engine Soon telltale. If that were to occur your remote start feature would be disabled temporarily.
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    e2helper:
    Do you know when that gas tank issue was finally solved?
    My car built 05/04 - was it fix by then?

Thank you
  • duffdduffd Member Posts: 9
    Page 2-40 of owners manual says that your vehicle may have a Console picture clip located near center of instrument panel and a parking pass holder. I have the parking pass holder and was wondering what the picture clip looked like and where exactly it is located
  • maxxlt2004maxxlt2004 Member Posts: 71
    hi,

today i contacted the BBB and opened a claim, Chevy cust assistance center states that i should also contact the BBB. i also called a lemon law attorney who states that i should have the dealer try to fix it once more because here in WI you have to have the dealer try to fix it 4 times before the lemon law kicks in. I then called my sales manager at chevrolet where we bought like 6 cars and let him know of all the problems that i have veen having. i told him that if they want me to continue as their customer i need to have them help me with an exchange from GM/Chevy in general. if not bye bye. i cannot afford to drive an unsafe car period with my 2 year old and wife. if they can't understand that it's not worth doing business with theese kind of people.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    duffd: the picture clip is a rigid black clip located just above the front cup holder, and to the right of the small open storage area.
    This is a Maxx only item.

The TSB isn't very clear about when this issue occurred but it WAS NOT an issue early in model year. It was something that only occurred toward end of 2004 model and stretched over to early 2005 (which is why TSB covers both 2004-5). So your vehicle might be affected. Most noticable complaint will be fuel gage not going to Full or staying there for only a couple miles.
    One other small question.... e2helper or anyone??

my Maxx sometimes makes very loud popping sounds when temperature changes. It sounds like it's comming from the windshield or possibly A pillars.

Is there a TSB regarding this on Maxx (I had read it affected the Malibu sedan)??
    ___

maxxit2004, I can symphasize as I went through the same with another GM car (another division). Hopefully you will get satisfaction!
    I should add ___so far___ the replacement columm in my Maxx is working fine.
  • avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    Thanks to pao, firemanjack and prdm for their comments on the rear wiper/spoiler. Still undecided.
      Can anyone tell me the differences between the single and 6-disc CDs? As far as I can tell it is just the number of discs and the "song list" feature...
    tonight i spoke to chevy corporate and they told me its ultimately up to my dealer to do a buyback/exchange since im having so many problems on my 2004 malibu maxx lt w/ 7,000 miles on it.

ive heard from the bbb and from a lemon law attorney that this simply isnt true? why would the chevy corporate rep tell me this then?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I pursued a lemon law on a kia sorento that couldnt be fixed for a check engine light....the laws vary by state...in VA...the dealer must agree to the trade..and get reimbursed from corporate, after all he has already paid for the vehicle...and has to get reimbursed for it...in my case...the only like vehicle on the lot had a a few more options...Kia corporate gave the dealer a incentive cash back offer to offset the price difference...I get a new vehicle...another sorento..with more options than my original and havent had a problem with is in two years now

I ultimately had to write a letter to the dealership owner...delivered via certified mail to get the ball rolling to my satisfaction.might suggest that approach...outlining all the issues...the BBB. In my case i dealt with KIA USA reps and they are more than helpful...but they too state the dealer must make the first step.....push hard on the dealership
    The sales manager and I have always been in close contact throughout the repairs that I have had, but I haven't spoken to the general manager or the owner as of yet. I basically want to get away from the Malibu and exchange for a 2005 Equinox overall and be done. I have had over 6 visits to the service including 3 for the steering problems and 2 right when i bought the car for door lock and alarm problems.

I have also been a long time customer of the dealership, purchased 4 cars from them. I'm waiting on a response from the sales manager who hopefully will call me tomorrow. If he tells me I have to pay out-of-pocket for the exchange I will let them know they have lost me as a customer. Although I have 7,000 miles on my Malibu it was sold to me defective. The repair history will prove to affect my Malibu's value and safety as well.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    Hi there. We have loved the Maxx we bought in October for our daughter. Last night, while merging onto a parkway, our daughter tapped into the back of an Acura MDX who had inexplicably stopped in the accelration lane. I know it was daughter's fault, but I'm ticked. Anyway, a tiny little scratch that can be rubbed out on the MDX bumper, but a little more on the MAXX. It really is just a little bit of a bend in the hood about an inch from the edge. Along that horizonal bend (about 4-5 inches long) the paint is cracked a little bit. It just occured to me that I should probably try to open the hood to make sure it isn't "stuck" closed due to the bend. Anyway, has anyone here had to have body work done on a MAXX? I'm very unfamiliar with body work, other than to know it is really expensive. Since our insurance is already high with 3 cars and 3 drivers, we are opting to pay out of pocket for this. Does it sound like we would have to pay for a whole new hood, or can this be fixed without that? Any ideas helpful. E2, I know your expertise is in electrical stuff, but if you have any input here, it would be great. Thanks!
    lemon law here in VA stated I had to exchange for a like vehicle of same value or full refund of my sale price.....again it is state specific....so you need to check first...dont know if you can go from a car to an SUV or increase to a higher sale price....you might want to read the Equinox forum here.....the 04s had many more problems than the Maxx ever thought about..strong smells due to chemical interaction in the cooling system...major front end suspension problems...leaks in the rear spare wheel well seemed to be a common problem...as well as subpar gas mileage...once again all first year production issues..much like the maxx.....why not look at an 05 Maxx?...sorry you had the problems....my 04 LT, build date 2/17/04 and not one problem at all..with 13k on it so far.....good luck..keep us posted
    any body work will be high..with a $90 plus dollar an hour rate....as here in VA at the collision place i used for my Maxx....someone struck me in the drives side rear door....creased the door but no paint cracks...with the paint cracked...if on the hood.....most will probably repaint the area..and reapply the clear coat to the entire hood..i dont know if a shop can work the bend out of the hood..forget if it is a double layer hood....on my rear door they diassembled the door from the inside...and worked the crease out, dont know if they can do the same on a hood....would suggest you take it to a collision shop...tell them you are paying for the repairs and not an insurance claim and get an estimate...an insurance claim normally spares no expense, while a self paid claim will usually come in less.....my total...against the other partys insurance was over $2400 for the crease and replacement of some molding..and paint...where they reapplied the clear coat to the entire drivers side of the car....good luck
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    I'm in VA as well. I will likely take it to Pohanka, where we bought it. I checked and the hood opens with no problems, and there doesn't seem to be any problems on the grill either...just the small bend in the hood. You don't even see it unless you are looking for it because it is where the hood sort of bends anyway. I wouldn't even bother fixing it right now except for the fact that I figure since the paint is a little cracked, it might start to flake off and become a bigger mess. $2400 is a big deal...it better not be that high, or dear daughter will be doing an awful lot of extra hours at that new part time job! Yikes.
    I guess my maxx doesn't have the picture clip then as there is nothing there. Thanks for the reply.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    My 04 Maxx LS does not have the 6 CD changer, but I did notice in manual that procedure for inserting and removing CD is different for each. With 6 CD changer you have to push button first and wait for display to tell you it is OK to insert each disc. On single CD model you just insert the disc and push button to eject it.

The manual also says the 6 CD changer model is more particular about the quality of the CD's you play. If you burn your own CD-R's they may not play in this unit and you have to be careful with the labels.

I also noticed that several people posting here have had problems with the 6 CD changing mechanism. They stopped ejecting CDs. One person had their player replaced 3 times and still has problems. I think e2helper also posted that there is software problem in this player and GM does not yet have a fixed. I believe it causes a warning message to display.

I guess the single vs 6 CD is a personal choice. I'm quite happy with the single player model. When I was selecting my Maxx from stock, I stayed away from any with the 6 cd changer. My dealer had 30-40 Maxx's in stock at time (May) so it was not a problem. If my choices were limited, other options would take priority and the radio would not factor into my decision.

Also keep in mind, any model radio is an integral part of the car in the Malibu. The Driver Information Center built into the radio lets you program the way certain vehicle feature work. The radio also displays messages about the operation of the vehicle and certain messages when there are problems with the vehicle. You won't be able to easily replace it with an aftermarket radio. So be happy with what every model radio you choose.

BTW, if you have not yet purchased, you can register at www.mygmlink.com and add any GM vehicle to your profile, even if you have not purchased. Then you can view the owners manuals online and find out about features and how they work.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    I believe if you have the rear wiper/washer system its control button replaces the clip.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    e2helper has been extremely helpful answering questions in this forum (and we thank him very much). Another good source of information is the Service Manual ($120 at www.helminc.com). It provide a wealth of information and explains in great detail how all vehicle systems operate (mechanical, electrical and body systems), procedures service technician follow to diagnose problems. And how to disassemble any component for the DIY people. If you are into understanding this, the cost is well worth it. Arming yourself with this info also helps to correctly explain problems to the service writers when bringing your car in for service.
  • ahodgesahodges Member Posts: 9
    Any bit of info. is helpful. Thanks alot for your help, It has been more than the dealership.
    yes I have the rear washer /wiper so I guess that explains it then . Thanks
    crh: I'd steer you away from taking it into a dealer body shop; way too expensive. Washington Consumers Checkbook magazine did a review of all body shops in our area in the summer/fall 2002 edition. If you are not a subscriber, go to your local library and see if they carry it. It will save you lots of money. I found a great place in Southern Alexandria that I like. My deer strike totalled $2800, which was very high in my book. The work was done by a local dealership since it was a guaranteed repair for life facility through my auto insurance company. Otherwise, I would have gone to my neighborhood body shop which does excellent work, for a much lower price.
    Hi,

If I take my 04 Malibu Maxx LT to another dealer to have them try and fix my alignment problem since my current dealer cannot fix it, will that affect the lemon law since here in WI it states you have to have them try and fix it in 4 tries? Does 4 tries have to be at the same dealer or does it matter which Chevy dealership tries to fix it?

Let me know, thanks.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I'm not sure if this is specific to Ford or general to all brands, but sometimes a dealer won't touch your vehicle if you have an existing concern that another dealership has already attempted to address. A friend of mine tried several different Ford dealers for service on his 98 Contour, and one of them refused to look at his car after he explained he had already taken it to a different dealer for the same problem.
    i see. well here's the bottom line. a 4th time to the dealer with unsuccessful results would be i can apply for the lemon law. i also filed with the BBB who will submit a complaint to Chevrolet Corporate. I'm not sure how long that usually takes, but Im waiting on the paperwork.

Also, my sales manager will speak to the general manager who will speak to Chevy Corporatge also to see what they can do since the dealership cannot exchange a vehicle. That comes from Chevy Corporate only.

what does everyone think of all this?
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same as what pops up in my 04 Maxx every now and then.

I occasionally hear a creaking from somewhere in the liftgate area when the temps are in the low to mid 60s. When I go back there and feel around all the various plastic panels, the only thing that seems to have any "give" to it is the plastic interior panel right below the liftgate window glass. If I "squish" it by hand, I can sort of simulate the creaking that I hear while driving.

Sometimes, if I slam the liftgate just so, the noise goes away.
    Beedublu, next time your hatch is open, try lightly pressing down on or "bouncing" the rear cargo bay cover and see if it makes some creaks or pops? For me they occur around the cover edges (where carpet meets plastic) and the "posts" that fit into the shock tower recesses. Those post covers get a"set" in them after a while and no longer hold the cover in place as securely.

Also, the liftgate trim itself can squeak because of metal fasteners rubbing against the aluminum hatch (you hear this when closing the hatch just as the lock engages. I coated all those fasteners for hatch trim with fiberglass packing tape and, so far, no more more trim squeaks.

We have so many bad roads in Los Angeles that it's amazing cars last as long as they do here.
    again each state is specific..so make sure you have your facts straight....in VA...on my KIA....they had the dealer to make the exchange...any switchout will probably be authorized by corporate but executed by the dealer....BBB here in VA..sent me paperwork within three weeks..and settlement...thru them would have taken...2-3 months..particularily if arbitration is involved..that is why I went to the general manager..but at the same time..keeping my KIA corporate rep involved..in all the actions...updating them on the story for the dealer..the regional tech rep..etc....

has chevy corporate asked a regional tech rep to look at their work yet..again on the kia..teh tech rep tried to fix the suv to no avail....here it is 3 attempts or a total of 30 days in the shop....

I would keep the pressure on corporate and the local dealership, I would give them the fourth attempt to keep it all in house...and within their service department...keep us posted
    i see. well here's the bottom line. a 4th time to the dealer with unsuccessful results would be i can apply for the lemon law. i also filed with the BBB who will submit a complaint to Chevrolet Corporate. I'm not sure how long that usually takes, but Im waiting on the paperwork.

Also, my sales manager will speak to the general manager who will speak to Chevy Corporatge also to see what they can do since the dealership cannot exchange a vehicle. That comes from Chevy Corporate only.

what does everyone think of all this?
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I actually work for a company of dealers (our company has 2 Chevy stores) and my understanding is that when somebody is in this situation, they'll just make it easy to trade out of your vehicle. Instead of getting the lemon law involved, they might show you pretty numbers for your trade and give you a good deal on a new model. In the long run, this would hopefully keep you happy (and quiet) and when it's time for you to get your next car, you'll remember this easy and stress-free transaction.
    I said I'd report back on the status of my tranny howl, and I still plan to do this. As I stated in my previous post, I work for a company of dealerships and I was having my car looked at my one of our Chevy stores... However, because I'm an employee, I become the absolute last priority. My car sat all day on Wednesday, and nobody even looked at it. It's really frustrating, because I wish I could go do a dealer and be treated like a real customer. I'm sure a lot of you think it must be a pretty sweet deal to work for the dealer, and get special treatment... But in order for that to happen, they'd have to actually take your car into the shop!

Sorry for my rant, but long story short, my car is going back tomorrow, and they swore that their tranny guy will be able to look at it. I'll let ya know.
    here on edmunds it shows that i can get around $17,600 for my 2004 maxx lt fully loaded in great shape. for example i'm looking at a 2005 equinox instead that is priced at the total msrp of $27,505. how much do u think my dealer would ask i pay out of pocket?
    That depends on how much you still owe on your Maxx. I'm not a salesperson so I can't tell you hard numbers or anything, I've just learned a thing or two about the car business from working there.
    under VA lemon law...if it is handled thru the system....the dealer must give you back or in trade the original purchase price of your car, but since you have 7K on it....it may be prorated some what.....again..be sure to check your particular lemon law for your state....I used a BBB website for all my research...will try to find it and post it.....I would bet...you will have to pay any cost difference between the original value of your car and the Equinox....

what state are you filing in for the lemon law..for some reason I think I remember WI....here is an excerpt from their law:
    Duty to Replace or Refund (relief pursuant to sec. 218.0171(2)(b), Wis. Stats.)

Wisconsin law requires a manufacturer to provide the consumer with a comparable new motor vehicle or a refund if, within the term of the warranty or within one year after delivery, whichever is sooner, either:...the rest is ....repair or out of service requirements...

if any case this isnt the correct state..go here to review each states law; http://www.lemonlawsusa.com/
  • hemapihemapi Member Posts: 7
    When the outside temperature is 60F or higher there is a groaning noise whenever the steering wheel is turned in the slightest.

That means the groaning noise is there all the time because even on a straight road there are very slight steering wheel motions.

This phenomenon is noticeable in a quiet area (residential or parking lot or garage) at low speeds. At higher speeds the road-noise masks the groaning.

Any suggestions are welcome. The upper and intermediate steering shafts have been replaced by the dealer without alleviating the problem.
  • jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know whether I can buy a bumper painted in the color of my car from GM? Or it has to be painted anyway? My MAXX was involved in a hit & run accident in the parking lot while I was at work on Dec. 1st (I have a car since Feb). When I was leaving for lunch I noticed two holes, one in the rear bumper, another in the tail lamp, some cracks and scratches as well as damaged and hanging plastic. And now, I have to pay for the repair myself, because nobody left any information.

Besides that, I had installed rear sunshade reinforcements and the liner squeaks all the time since then. It holds the shades better, but I don't know how this will work with open windows.

The car also had Engine control module reprogram for Rough Idle/No Start or Delayed Start and now is much better, but one thing. It seems like the car is trying to pull back and forth a few times interchangeable while the engine is cold and the car is on Drive and I am waiting on the lights. This happens only once (4-7 minutes after the start and the short drive) until the next engine start. Any ideas why? Do I need another reprogram to be done? The dealer did not specify what exactly was done, just the reprogram. Is there a way to check it?

I also decided to leave my transmission howl alone, because it is not bad yet, and I have a very bad experience with my previous car when the engine was taken apart to fix one thing. After a year something “snipped of” (that's what they said) and then I had to pay a lot to replace a half of an engine.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    why not look for a different small SUV? What is it about the Equinox that excites you? Personally, I think it is a very mediocre vehicle and quite a poor showing from Chevrolet considering it's a new model.

I would take a Saturn Vue, with the 250hp Honda V6, over the Equinox if you really need to stick with a GM brand. Good crash test scores and supposedly the interior quality isn't as horrible as in the past. Expand beyond GM brands and the options improve considerably.
    Chances are though he's going to have to stick with a Chevrolet vehicle, if he's going to get any help from his original dealer. Beggars can't be choosers.
    I vote with you bluedevils; I'd try to get some money back and put it towards a RAV-4. I think the Equinox is the most hastily conceived piece of junk I have ever seen. The Vue is rated very poorly in Consumers, and should be avoided as well.
  • glennbglennb Member Posts: 34
    Whew! I can't believe how many messages have been posted since my last time in this forum in mid-September. I wish they were all praises for the Maxx, but...

I recently turned 10,000 miles and had my 04 LS Maxx into the dealer for the first time. First on the list was my whiney fuel pump. I developed a loud whine in the past two weeks. Naturally, not a peep at the dealer. It did start whining again after leaving the dealer. I searched this forum for others having this problem, but see nothing. My brake thumping was solved; out of round rear rotor was corrected and is now silent. I think I remember maxx4me having that problem this past summer. While there I mentiones rough starts and idling, which I experienced once in summer, but wanted the chip upgrade anyway. I have noticed some very,very slight pulsing of the steering when starting cold and my hands are on the wheel. I just wonder if this is the sensation I get occasionally when driving the freeway and feel what I thought was some wheel wobble at certain speeds. Other than that, the Maxx has been good for me, but my wife still hates it, and misses the Venture. We saw the new Uplander at the dealer, my wife wants the Maxx gone next year and an Uplander in the driveway.
    as a tall man, every time I drive/rent another vehicle (or my wife's Vibe for that matter), I soon remember why I love the Maxx so much. It is such a breath of fresh air to drive a car without being forced to saw off half of my legs to fit in it. Sure, I'm nervous about long term reliability, which is why I'll buy an extended warranty from Capper come this May. Nevertheless, I'll have to be stranded in this car in a driving rain storm on a deserted highway before I start throwing the towel in. There simply is too much to like about this car at this stage of the game.
    why sure i can choose... once i win my lemon law claim that is....=)
    what does this mean e2helper? my malibu was built between a bad timeframe so i should expect alot of problems correct?
  • gla4601gla4601 Member Posts: 40
    I dont think anyone here at all knows with real certainty but its been said here that Malibus built after february or so will not have EPS issues. WRONG. Build date on the door of my Malibu is 4/04. For the past few days the steering wheel has been jerking back and forth when stopped and twitches occasionaly when moving. From what I have heard this is how the EPS failure starts off.

I have tried reading these NHTSA Documents reguarding the EPS and nowhere do I see it specificaly stated that the problem was corrected on a certain date - only an admission by GM that there is a problem and the technical details on the cause of it.

At 3K Mi, things are going downhill fast with my Malibu I guess. I hardly drive it any more because I have just about ZERO confidence in it and it seems everytime I do drive it something else goes wrong.
    that's how mine started. then i had to replace the steering column and all hell broke loose ever since. i hava had steering problems ever since.
    Glennb, you might want to get your vehicle to the dealer to check that steering columm.
    That is how mine began to fail...a slight pulsing noted while sitting / idling at stoplights, and a little more pulsing when the wheel is gently turned.
    When I showed all this to my dealer, they immediately declared the car unsafe to drive, gave me a rental and replaced the columm. So far, so good.

jmax4, e2helper has mentioned here and in other posts that there is a "zeroing" procedure needed to get the steering columm recalibrated. You might want to scroll back to check on that and ask your dealer (or another, if your first dealer (like mine) is staffed by klutzes) to recalibrate the columm.
    I certainly agree with kurt to have vehicle taken to dealer to check for any fault codes stored in module and rezero the sensors if required. There are 2 of them and dealer has to zero them separately using his scan tool. FYI the are the handwheel position and torque sensors.
  • gla4601gla4601 Member Posts: 40
    maxlt2004. I envy your situation. Most of us suckers that bought the Malibu will never be able to force a buy back of any sort. I wish I could get rid of mine but I'm sure I'm stuck with it. Mine has six or seven problems right now but I still have not taken it in for service. Being intermittent problems I will just get a runaround from the service department. If its not acting up while its there they will simply tell me there is nothing wrong with it. The dealers job is to never admit to any known problems and avoid or delay warranty repairs whenever possible till the customer is forced to pay for it. I'll bet that even now GM would not admit that there is a known common problem with the malibus. This is America. Big business feeds off little people and screws them anyway they can, because they can.