Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dtsaoboydtsaoboy Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a 2007 wolsburg edition platinum gray jetta with optional rear side airbags, spoiler, and splash guards here in Northern CA. According to them only two of these in the bay area (one w/o spoiler and splash guards) for the moment.

Their invoice was 19921
    I paid 21800 OTD.

I guess websites have the invoice listed at 19714, which would have translated to 21555 OTD. The difference here was due to not listing the advertising fee (approx 180, and port prep fee, fuel fee). FYI probably should have dealt to not pay these fees.

The other car w/o spoiler and splash guards, came from another location. I was shown the actual invoice, due to more expensive ad fees, this invoice was 19771, but I was quoted 21350 OTD. They said they had misquoted the price but was willing to sell at that price.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    dtsaoboydtsaoboy Member Posts: 5
    sorry, forgot to mention these were both manual transmission
  • Options
    sixpakgqsixpakgq Member Posts: 34
    $16,959 is Invoice price according to Edmunds.com.

I am offering them $15,000 Cash out the door bottom line price! No Financing.

What are my chances of closing this deal?
  • Options
    istithistith Member Posts: 2
    For a 2006 jetta 2.5, Pkg 2, sunroof, side/rear airbags
  • Options
    vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    Slim & None...
  • Options
    slim and none.........?????
  • Options
    slim and none?????
  • Options
    Hello, but i got Cash! how many people do u know pay 15K cash on a jetta?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    When you borrow the money to buy a car, the bank gives the dealer cash, also.. While I commend your ability to pay cash for the car, that only guarantees the dealer that you are creditworthy and can complete the transaction. He doesn't make anything extra.

I've seen some reported prices close to invoice, but I doubt you'll be able to buy a Jetta for any amount under invoice.. surely not almost $2000 less..

Not sure where slim comes from... I think your chances are closer to zero.. ;)

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Jettas sell, at least here in South Florida. I doubt any dealer in their right mind would accept $15k OTD. If so, we'll trade the wife's 3s for one right now. Don't even think you could get a Rabbit for that price.
    Trust me on one thing, makes no difference if you pay cash. We always do and doesn't make a difference to the dealer. Probaly a bit easier with cash for the dealer and definitely easier for us as the buyer.
    Still having a hard time believing most buyers are payment buyers. Would think that most people would start putting away $ for the next ride right after the new purchase to make it easier the next time.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    ok what about $500 below invoice then? or exact invoice price?. when is the best time to buy? in December towards the end?
  • Options
    Thanksgiving thru New Years has always been a great time to buy as people are in the "holiday mode" and not really looking for such big ticket items. The last couple of days in the month can be good also. Timing is everything in car buying also. When all the pieces fit, great deals can be had. Timing and a little luck can be great things. Some knowledge about the product is also important. But since you are already here in Edmunds, you've got that part covered.

• Options
    Not to mention Tax, Title & Lic.
  • Options
    how do you normally negotiate to bring the price down?
  • Options
    sammya_mdsammya_md Member Posts: 69
    Just speaking from the experience I've seen with my dad on various cars we have bought, MB, VW, Honda, Toyota. He usually comes up with an price approx 8-12% below MSRP, and then begins to develop his own 'out the door price' from there. For example on my VW Passat base model 2.0T manual, the MSRP is 23,820. I think he took 9-10% off of that. Adding approx tax (5%), tags, etc..we came up with an OTD price of 22,800 and that is what we got it for. That works out to roughly 750-1000 below invoice, I don't have the exact number, as we just told the dealer 22,800 OTD, and you can work the numbers however you need to to get to that price.

Works like a charm everytime.
  • Options
    how is that below invoice? msrp was 23820 but you paid 22800? currently i am getting a Jetta for exact Invoice price according to Edmunds. should i take it?
  • Options
    sorry for the lack of clarification...the 22800 was an out the door price, with 5% sales tax, and with all dealer fees.....tags...etc

I would think you can get a Jetta for below invoice...aroudn 750-1000 off..espically since i bought in october..and it's march now

let me know if any of this doesn't make sense
  • Options
    So the blue book value invoice will drop as time goes by? or i should I just request $1000 off invoice?....they try to trick you on the licensing and titles...different dealerships give me different prices on it.

How much would you pay for the 2007 2.5 Base/Value Edition, Automatic with 16" Alloy Wheels?

Do the 16 and 17" alloy look the same?
  • Options
    I think it's a bit more complicated than that. There is no blue book value invoice. It's just the invoice price. Blue book is for used cars. I'm just saying that dealers will tend to sell cars for a little less as the model year goes on, and even moreso towards the end of the month if you find the right dealership. The key as I have seen is to go into a dealership with an out the door price already figured out.

A couple of things..if you want alloy wheels it might be better to look at getting the Wolfsburg edition. Look on www.carsdirect.com for more details on that. Because allow wheels on the base/value edition adds another 1200 dollars.

I would say take 10-12% off MSRP (not sure exactly what that would be), and then add on tax, tags and around 100 for dealer processing to come up with a fair number. Start with the more agressive 12% and don't take less than 10%. That is probably the best advice I can give

I'm not sure about the 16 and 17 alloy, as I have a passat, and not a jetta
  • Options
    They are adding $300 extra for 16" alloy on base jetta.
    $1400 is for 17"

My max price starts with exact Invoice as listed on kbb and edmunds which is $17,599 (640 dest already in there).....how low should i buy this car for below invoice? there are going to make money of the alloy's...

I wonder how much people have paid for a Base jetta auto trans with alloys.....I have read everything on this thread...i guess it is still too early in the year to get more info on consumers OTD pricing...
  • Options
    10-12% of msrp??? thats like going $1000-1200 on this base jetta off Invoice...no one is going to match that offer for me...
  • Options
    let me give you the math on my deal..as i said, msrp was 23,800 for a base passat...i bought the car for 22,800 out the door...taxes..everything in that price

while i don't have the numbers in front of me, since i'm at work, but at roughly 10% off MSRP the price is 21420. (Invoice is 22520)

Adding 5% tax to the price of 21420 is $22491. I'm almost positive tages/title/dealer fee's were more than $300, so that means I paid more like 11-12% off of MSRP as a base price. Again, I don't have the paperwork in front of me. The car was bought in October 2006. On top of that, the dealer's first offer was at MSRP plus tax/tag/titles. We gave him our out the door price, and he came back trying to get us to buy at invoice. We said no thank you, they went back and finally acceppted our price. I'm confident any dealer would have taken it. They have to know that you are steadfast in your price and will go elsewhere to get it.

Let me know if you have more questions. As for the alloys, I am not really sure what to recommend. Include them in the price you offer, but have a markdown over what they "say". Obviously this will be more of a high profit item for them.
  • Options
    so I should start by offering 12% maximum off the MSRP and go then go on from there?

whats up with the licensing, title and tag prices, every person gives me a differnt quote on that. Why is that?
  • Options
    I would start by offering 12% off the max yes.

Every dealer it seems tries to make extra $$ off of licensing, title tax and tag, hence why it's best to just offer an OTD price (again, just my opinion, learned from my father)

I can try and pull the exact figures I paid (keeping in mind, these would by Maryland prices, not sure what yours would be..hopefully that will give you an idea). I will message you that info late Thursday night when I have a chance to pull my file.

In the meantime if you have more questions, I'd be happy to help. I have not seen someone like my dad work a car salesmen to get a "fair" deal. And remember, they wouldn't take the deal in most cases if they aren't making money.
  • Options
    Could i work a good deal if I am financing? they are going to make money off the interest.
  • Options
    I financed my deal on the passat. Got 2.9%..and i think they are having the same rate now. I don't think financing or paying cash has any affect on the deal. Plus with 2.9% financing...it would be stupid not to finance, you can make abover 5% in a simple CD or something.
  • Options
    why would you even want to finance if you can pay cash for the car? unless you are getting 0% interest for certain amount of time. You can actually make 5.25% right now in a E-laon savings liquid account which what i have now..but still paying Cash for any item would be the best! I think financing is for people who cannot afford full price of an item.
  • Options
    Let me explain my thinking and rationale, which I think is sound. I paid 8k cash, and finaced the remaining 15k or so. In the meantime, I have that 15k in my fidelity account getting more than 2.9%. This 15k I wouldn't have making money if I paid cash. I'm making out in the deal since my 15k is making at least 5.5% or so, while I pay 2.9% for my car.
  • Options
    fidelity? ur 401k right? your idea makes sense. What about being in Debt? I guess as long your income is secure for long term, you are ok. Lot of people lose their jobs and end up selling the car.

how about making 5.5% and paying cash for this car? this way u are not paying interest but on the side you are earning interest. u still want to have about 6 months to 1 year of savings though.
  • Options
    Sorry, I have my investment account set up with fidelity. 401k is seperate from that. But either way, in my Fidelity investment account, I can get 5% or so with no risk at all.

I could have paid for the car all in cash, but decided to finance it for the reasons previously mentioned, 36 months 2.9% is a good offer.

I would say it's up to you if you want to pay all cash or finance, but if you get 2.9% for 36 months, I don't see how it makes sense not to finance. As I said before, in my case I have 15k making 5+%, while I am paying off the 15k I 'owe' at 2.9%. This in effect makes the car even cheaper.

There are alot of issues to consider with financing or paying all cash, but if you can afford to pay all cash, there is no reason in my eyes not to finance and just set aside that balence on the car in a high yield savings account (ING direct, etc), or something like Fidelity Government Reserves. Again this is just my view and experience, I'm not advocating you do one thing or the other, just explaining my reasoning for financing.
  • Options
    e-loan offers 5.25apy% ...no risk....i was looking to put down 10K on this car and finance like 8K. i dont know what interest rate i will get..it this negotiable with vw credit? 2.9 is the best u can get with anyone! i dont think i will get 2.9..i dont even think i will be approved to tell u the truth..the worse is 12.9 with them they said....well then I might as well finance the 8K and leave my cash earning 5.25%.....how much do u think i should pay cash for this base jetta and how much in loan?

ing is low interest...go with E-loan.

but you cannot earn interest on a car loan right?
  • Options
    I just mentioned IMG direct because that's the only one I've heard of, haven't used it at all.

You should check and see first what rate you would get, since that would affect what you would want to do, cash or finance.

I have no idea how much is best to put down, someone else might be better able to answer that. I put at 8k down since that left 15k to pay off in 3 years, so it was pretty even, and a monthly payment of 435 was fine and not too much for me to handle without having to dip out into my savings.

you can't earn interest on a car loan....what I meant is the extra 15k in my case I have from financing and paying off monthly immediately gets 5%, while I pay off the loan at 2.9% interest. So you aren't earning interst on the car loan, you are earning interest on the money saved temporarily becuase you financed and didn't pay cash for the car.
  • Options
    www.bankrate.com

great source....consider E-Loan savings.
  • Options
    Each month you are earning on the decreasing amount of that $15k. There are other factors to consider such as any fees on the loan & can you directly move the $435.00 payment from your account or must you write a monthly check. I was in the same position last year with my Civic, should I pay the $10K off when I buy or finance it. It was just easier for us to pay it off then and there.
    But I did seriously consider what you are doing.

• Options
    i currently have a 96 accord accord lx....with 245,000 in it......what amount will i get if i can sell this to a private party? i dont think anyone will pay me this for a blue book value...
  • Options
    I have been hearing that buying a new car is not a good financial decision. The car will depreciate in value dramatically......

so what are the advantages of buying a new car vs used

the base jetta is much cheaper then the pre owned loaded ones that i have seen.......its hard to find a base used jetta....
  • Options
    If it looks and drives like it only has 120K miles on it, then maybe $1500....

If it seems like a 245K mile car, then figure $700-$1000, assuming it acts like it isn't going to stop running any second.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    the paint is coming off....light blue is looks like gray at times......hood is black color...got a new hood........its a reliable car..inside looks like it has only 100K on it.....gas prices going up....honda gives great mileage....i just put a tag for $3249
  • Options
    Well... it never hurts to be optimistic.. You don't get what you don't ask for.. Good luck!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    $3249.00!!! I think you have had one too many sixpacks!!!:)
  • Options
    its worth a try....gas prices are going up.
  • Options
    "It's worth a try"...Cannot argue with that; you can always come down...
  • Options
    someone actually wanted my car for 2500...she test drove it too......too bad I don't have my Jetta yet, or else that car would have been sold.

buying a car frustrating and stressful......I have never bought a car from a dealer before
  • Options
    Generally speaking, I believe a great deal of frustration & stress can be avoided by doing good research & homework, and seeking a deal that is fair to both parties...an appropriate discount for the customer, and a fair profit for the Dealer & Salesperson...This normally results in a pleasant experience for all concerned.
  • Options
    nobienobie Member Posts: 21
    I just wanted to list my buying experience in the hopes that it will help someone else. I purchased a 2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg edition the color reflex silver automatic on 12/10/06 for 22560.46 including tax at Legend located in Amityville, NY. This was my first new car purchase and after receiving quotes from many dealerships I decided to go with Legend because they offered the most for my trade-in. My trade in was a 2006 Hyundai Elantra (automatic) with just over 19,000 miles on it. Most dealerships wanted to give me only $7400 for the car and Legend offered $8400 which I still believed was low. All of my negations took place with the internet sales manager and the agreed upon price was invoice price of $20,455 plus $300 which was 20755.00. (Note: all of the Wolfsburg edition cars were coming into the dealerships with optional equipment of a rear spoiler). I picked up my car and drove off the lot very happy until three days later when I reviewed the sales contract. I notice that listed was an added price of 646.79 under added items. I called the dealership several times before I was able to get in contact with the internet sales manager to review the fee. The internet manager stated that we negotiated based on monthly payments and the amount that listed added up to my monthly payment of $270.00 per month. I explained to the manager that I negotiated based on selling price, trade in allowance and monthly payments. I told him that I was very unhappy with his service and it would reflect on the customer survey. The internet manager agreed to refund the fee (which I have yet to see a dime of) if I gave them a good review. I mailed a letter to the dealership manager about the problem I was having with the internet manager with no reply. Finally I contacted VW customer service and filed a claim. VW customer service left a couple of messages for the internet manager and he has failed to reply. It seems to me that the low rating that JD Power and Associates gave to VW dealerships are justified I only hope I have better luck with the car itself.
  • Options
    i have done all reasearch and Hw... i dont care about how it benefits the dealerships......my goal is to that car at the lowest possible price.........
  • Options
    I guess this type of example proves two things. You need to go over the contract with a fine tooth comb before signing, and probably the best way to settle things is to go in person to the dealership and talk with a manager there. Don't settle for calls, they do nothing.

Sorry you have this problem, and hope you enjoy the car
  • Options
    they arent too nice.....cocky and aggressive.......

they seem to be in a hurry to sell that car.....

will they be annoyed if i come there a lot and keep walking out because they cannot meet my offer?
  • Options
    i'm not sure how many dealerships are around you...we have maybe 3 or 4 within 20 miles of me.

what my dad and I did was go in letting them know we had every intention of buying the car from them, assuming they wanted to meet our out the door price. We told them to skip the [non-permissible content removed] (sorry, but that is what negotiations with them are), and to not waste both our times. We gave them a price (not even waiting to have them give us an offer), and said, take it or leave it. The salesman was taken back, but went and got his manager, who came in and said, how about at invoice? We said, here is our out the door number, take it or leave it. We will go to another VW, or even buy a camry (I was also looking at an SE). All in all, the negotiations took maybe 25 minutes.

Motto of the story, go in with a fixed out the door price, state you are willing to buy the car today if they meet the price, and go from there. If they try and BS you, call them on it, tell them, let's not waste each others time, can you or can you not make these numbers work. Don't listen to "wel'll be losing money..etc"...if they can't...walk away..they have your number..and will prob call you back

in the meantime don't go back there and go to another dealership...but agian...i've never had to go anywhere else to get a car besides the 1st place I went (of course, once deciding on what exact brand/model I wanted)...seen this in action many times, and always works

another thought..you call the shots..you are buying a car...there are many dealers out there....make it clear you are willing to buy today from them if they can meet your price
  • Options
    you make it so easy and simple. they are willing to match exact Invoice according to edmunds. should i take this offer? I want to pay $1000 below Invoice for the base Jetta..