Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    I think that Toyota sells O/R packages on 4x2 is the same reason Chevy sells the Z71 suspension on 4x2; a lot of people don't need 4x4 for the amount of offroading that they do.

I talked to a Wisconsin Chevy dealer after I got my PreRunner. He said that they sell a lot of 4x2 Z71 trucks to farmers and construction guys because they don't like 4x4 (extra things to break, worse millage, extra cost) and that a 4x2 works fine for them. He said they like the extra ground clearance because that gets them into the areas that they need to go to.

I bought a PreRunner because it has the ground clearance I need to get into some of fishing holes I visit, but in 12 years of visiting never needed 4x4 to get into.

The thing is that for 95% of 4x4 owners, they only use 4x4 maybe 1% of the time. A 4x2 with limited slip (or a locker) and a little extra ground clearance will usually get you through that 1%. 4x4 is nice, but it's a lot of money to spend for something that I don't really need.
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I thought in some rally races, that the Tacoma being used as the "pace truck" was actually a Prerunner, and not 4x4. Interesting...

Can't remember if that is still true, or ever was, but I remember hearing something about it.

I've got a 4x4, and am probably one of the 1% people. We drove to Colorado last year, but never even put it in 4x4, because the couple we stayed with, did the driving. Had we done it, it would have been used on the way to Copper Mountain.

I've used it in a handful of situations here in Texas, in the 1.5 years I've had it. A couple days of icy roads, the rest, very slick wet roads.
  • Options
    glen_hglen_h Member Posts: 11
    You are right.

The PreRunner got it's name from the trucks that they pre-run off road races like Baja. They're 4x2 trucks with "big" suspension.

It's interesting that the off-road trophy trucks are 4x2.
  • Options
    cactusonecactusone Member Posts: 8
    Shouldn't your question be why are people buying 4x4's? A very large percentage never use (mall cruisers) it or only use a couple of times in the whole life of the truck. Just because its snowing or you're on a dirt road doesn't mean you need 4 wheel drive. Good tires, a knowledgable driver and a rear locker will get me 99% of the places I want to go, the other 1% is fine cause its a new truck and I don't want to scratch it. Trust me I've done many trails in AZ with my PreRunner, it works great. Just be honest with yourself if you really need 4x4 get it, but don't listen to what the sales man says!
  • Options
    caltacocaltaco Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had the Toyota performance exhaust option installed on their truck? I'm wondering how it has effected the exhaust note and if there are any perfomance gains with it.
    Thanks
  • Options
    guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I have the 4x4 2005 Access Cab and use the 4WD seasonally here in the Pocono Mtns of Northeast PA. That 4WD option is fantastic for on-demand situations. The 3 times I used it last winter involved getting thru country road ice-overs.
    It also came in handy this past summer when I saved alot of digging to yank out a couple of 5 ft. nuisance trees. Merely fastened a tow strap from the tow hitch to the tree trunk.

I feel that 2 vs. 4WD is a matter of geography and lifestyle.
  • Options
    "lifestyle" what does being gay have to do with owning a 4x4. lol. (this a joke)
  • Options
    demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Wow this discussion got people heated.

I have a 4wd. Its great for those that need it. Its only used for off-road and snow traction. How many miles do you 4wd owners have IN 4wd? seriously. (I have just under 1000 miles in 21 months, I consider that alot)

Off-road, I'm surprised myself how far I can got without using 4wd. If your not mud bogging Prerunner is a great choice for light off-roading. You still have the clearance.

Snow, well I have 4wd and will be the first to tell you, its about the tires, not the drivetrain. I run snow tires in winter, and often find myself on packed roads still in 2wd. Braking and cornering are the same, only acclerating espeically up hills and tracking (back end not coming around) are better in 4wd.

If given the choice of going out in a snowstorm in a prerunner (with LSD rear) and snow tires, or a 4wd with stock tires, I'd take the prerunner.

In the end if you really don't need 4wd, then your saving $2500 bucks off the price, more maintence, 250 lbs, and gallon of gas every fill-up.

If I didn't live in a hilly lake-effect snow area, and find myself out before the plows, I'd have a prerunner.
  • Options
    boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    Here is the link to order from: http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-TOY-TACOMA-95+GB.html

Make sure you choose one of the kits for your correct model year. The 95-04 Tacoma kits are on the top, the 2005+ kits are on the bottom.

The pricing looks like this:
    QTY 30+ Redline Tuning QuickLIFT - $56.95 ($13 discount) + shipping
    QTY 30+ Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS - $71.95 ($13 discount) + shipping
    QTY 30+ Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE - $96.95 ($13 discount) + shipping

The discount has already been applied, shipping will be applied at check out.

You will receive an email confirmation after you purchase the kit. You will also receive a FedEx tracking number. That tracking number will not be valid until 30 kits have been purchased and your kit has been shipped. The faster you place your order the faster everyone gets their kits. The URL will be open until 30 orders have been placed and then as long as orders continue to come in. If a day goes buy without an order, the group buy will be over and the URL will be invalid.
  • Options
    gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    Yeah, this is an interesting discussion...and reminds me of the Chevy vs. Ford arguments from the 1960's (or was it the 1860's?) ;) . Of course, I was only a toddler back then..

Anyway, I have a 2006 4x4 and would definitely have gotten the Prerunner 4x2 if I could have gotten away with it. I mean, it's cheaper, less parts to break and gets 1 mpg better mileage..and it has the cool looks of a 4x4. But the deal is this, where I hunt quail in California, I only get about 1/8 mile before getting stuck in 4x2 in the sandy creek-beds etc. where I hunt. A quick switch to 4x4 gets me on my way the extra miles I need to go. Unfortunately, I've even needed a 4x6 a few times! (that's why I always carry a shovel, tow strap etc.)

Here in So. Cal, it's almost funny the people driving 4x4's - trucks & cars, since you know that very few ever see anything but pavement - and it's not like you need 4WD for the kind of rain we get, and even the skiers don't really need a 4x4 (ok, maybe once every couple of years).

It is really a no-brainer, if you don't REALLY need a 4x4, get the PreRunner....
  • Options
    You're probably blowing some peoples minds away by saying you drive in the snow and go offroad in a prerunner lol.
  • Options
    gandalf1gandalf1 Member Posts: 62
    Uh, did you mean to respond to my message? As I stated, my truck is a 4x4. But I wouldn't have any problem buying the PreRunner if I didn't actually need 4WD.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

We are doing some reorganization of topics here, in an effort to make things a little more focused and easier to follow. For those of you who regularly read this discussion, we invite you to check out the new focused discussions here at the Toyota Tacoma Group. We would like you to use these discussions first, based on your particular question or comment. This discussion will continue to be where owners can hang out and make general comments about their Tacos, but if you have specific component questions, we'd like you to use some of the others (e.g. Body Accessories for things like grille guards, side steps, tonneaus).

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    Fishing & camping back country is an example of "lifestyle" involving 4WD. Your sick joke should have stated that "gay" is an orientation, not a lifestyle. We don't get your level of humor too often on this site. Staighten out (no pun intended).
  • Options
    raswankraswank Member Posts: 56
    I have gone to a Toyota dealership in Dudley Ma. several times. They have never once tried to sell me anything, and are also a 5 star service dept. I went to the one in Auburn yesterday and they tried selling me wiper blades for 44.00 and a fuel cleaner service for 129.99. Do not go to this place all they want is your money. The one in Dudley Ma is awesome.
  • Options
    lighten up francis
  • Options
    Glad to know you got the message. Sad to hear your stuck in the gutter. OK, if I'm francis, are you frances?
  • Options
    I think you've stopped making sense.
  • Options
    vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Did you get your passenger door rattle fixed? Mine is driving me nuts. I've tied down the seat belts and have the same symptoms as you. Sounds like it is coming from the suicide door on the passenger side.

Please let me know if you got a fix.

Tom Clark
    vmiman@earthlink.net
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...in both the post box and the Rules of the Road (link in left margin) we strongly advise against including your email address in your messages. We have no control over who on the internet might capture it and use it.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    slabanumslabanum Member Posts: 18
    I got a driver-side window rattle when it is halfway down. Going tommorow to the dealership while it is still under warranty
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Hi, all -

I was biking near Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita today. Just for fun, I took a look at the big line-up of new 4-cyl. Tacoma Access Cabs there; then I saw something I hadn't seen before. I'd gotten accustomed to seeing mileage ratings of 20/27 for the manual, and 21/26 for the four-speed auto. This auto showed 21/27. Looking closer at the sticker, I saw that it was a 2007. Not a a lot more mpg, but it's a change in the right direction. Just FYI, FWIW. I've also read that side airbags and VSC & TRAC may be more available this year...
  • Options
    ryanhokie2001ryanhokie2001 Member Posts: 7
    So I finally got my new Taco. Got a Silver Streak TRD Off Rd 4x4 Double Cab with Tube Steps...pretty sweet!!!! It seems to really be "pulling" to the left when driving on the highway. Just curious if this is a normal thing you guys have experienced with the bigger BF 265 tires or if it needs to be alligned? :confuse: Keep in mind it is right off the lot...bought it with 9 miles on it. Thanks!
  • Options
    I read they changed the motor oil from 5w-30 to 5w-20 for 07' to eek out a slight bump in mpg and emmisions. It's small, but reflected on most tacoma models in the city mpg.
  • Options
    yrffejyrffej Member Posts: 47
    check your tire pressure.
  • Options
    ryanhokie2001ryanhokie2001 Member Posts: 7
    Checked the tire pressure. I have the 265/70-16 BFGs. On the inside of my door it recommends the cold tire pressure be set to 29 on the front tires and 32 on the back tires. Is this normal to have the back tires need more pressure? This is what they are set to so I am thinking my problem isn't a tire pressure problem, unless I should ignore what is on the door and set them to all be equal
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    If anything I would put less pressure in the rear. The rear of the truck weighs about half as much as the front, unless you're hauling a load. Having a lot of pressure in the rear can make the ride more bumpy.
  • Options
    i suggested a tire pressure check because un-even pressure from side to side can cause a pull as you describe. if you checked them ok, then ok. next, better define/isolate the problem. does it pull on the freeway, under acceleration, coasting and braking the same?
  • Options
    rsjrsj Member Posts: 12
    Hey Everyone,

I have a 2005 Tacoma, that has about 15,000 miles on it. Over the last couple of months, I have experienced a starting problem. It only does it once in a while. When I go to start it, it just cranks and cranks. The second turn of the key and it just starts up. I have noticed it more, after the vehicle has been running for a while and I turn it off and then go to start it 5-30 minutes later.
  • Options
    c0mc0m Member Posts: 5
    I was just wondering if the 4wd access cab tacoma with a 4cyl. manual feels underpowered at all?
  • Options
    I seemed to have that problem a couple of times. I let it crank for 5-8 seconds, without a start. Then the second time, it started right up...

Doesn't sound bad, until it happens to you. I have over 35K miles on mine now, and haven't noticed it since the first couple times it happened. Could be weather related, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Took my Taco in for the 30K mile service this weekend, and got it back, checked over the service receipt after getting it back, and was a bit confused.

They did everything in the service booklet, except replacing the limited slip differential fluid, and they drained and flushed the engine coolant?! What the heck. I said that they should have done the LSD, and they looked at me puzzled.

I wasn't sure I had the right service schedule, so I didn't really say much else. Well, the engine coolant isn't supposed to be flushed until 100K miles!?

They also did other crap, like added a fuel additive, and cleaned the injectors. I'm pretty ticked off about it, and am waiting for them to call me back for their "survey."

I feel that they should at least do the diff service for free, since they did an unnecessary treatment on the truck, and cause me to have to bring it back in.

I guess next time, instead of just telling them to do the 30K mile service, I'll just bring MY service schedule in, and tell them to do what's on it, anything extra, and the dealer gets to pay for it...

Are there any implications to not having the LSD fluid changed until 60K miles?
  • Options
    I drove one of these a while back, and thought it was on par with other 4-cyl 4WD pickups I had driven in the past - maybe a little smoother and quieter riding. A few weeks later, while leaving the same dealer, I saw the same truck drive into the Customer's lot. The young guy who had bought it was very high on it - said it was faster than his old '99 Toyota 4WD, was lots smoother and quieter, and got way better mileage. Just FWIW.

I drove an '07 4 cyl 2WD Access Cab last Friday, and thought it was even quieter than the '06 I had driven previously. I think they fixed some window/door seals, and the seats are a little more comfortable as well. I'm still on the fence about whether to get a truck or another small SUV.
  • Options
    wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Did you think so when you drove it?
  • Options
    Per the maintenance book, you are correct. Yours is a mechancial LSD right? Think there is a sticker on the rear diff. NOTE: If you have an 'auto LSD' button and VSC/TRAC, then you have an open diff, and think service might not be till later.

My tip (and I used to work at a dealer), check your maint book before you go. Then go over what they will and won't be doing. You dont need to be charged 20 bucks to add a bottle of STP injector cleaner.

I did my 30K major myself at 20K a and replaced rear & front diff, transfer case, and transmission oil. The LSD rear was pretty dirty. If you do indeed have a Mech LSD, I would change it if you are at or above 30K.
  • Options
    Yes, that is what I plan on doing next time. I'm just going to take a copy of the maintenance book with me, mark out the oil change and tire rotation, and tell them to do everything else.

I do have the mechanical LSD. I guess I should take it back in to have that service performed. Better yet, how hard was it to do it yourself? What steps are involved...guess I could break out the service manuals and find out...I may find I have all the tools needed to do it.
  • Options
    Rear diff is the easiest one to do.

You'll need 3 quarts of 80w-90 gear oil. Make sure is its a GL-5 hypoid good for Limited slip too. I ran Pennzoil semi-syn, was about 5 bucks each quart. Have a six inch piece of tubing that will fit on the nozzle or a pump.

There are two 24mm bolts on the back of rear diff. Place catch container under diff. Loosen top (fill) one first, then loosen lower (drain) bolt. let drain.

Now retighten the lower bolt to 27-30 ft/lbs. Ready to refill. If you have pump, pump away, otherwise put tubing piece on gear oil nozzle, hold upside down between axle and spare, let gravity fill it up. It will take all 3 quarts. You know its full when it starts spilling out. Tighten top bolt 27-30 ft/lbs. Your done, and spent less than 20 bucks.

Take used oil to any auto store or garage for proper disposal.
  • Options
    05tacosport05tacosport Member Posts: 6
    Was wondering if anyone knows how to re torque prop shaft and how many foot pounds to torque it to? any help would be appreciated

thanks
  • Options
    Thanks. I just looked this up in the repair manual tonight, when I was changing the oil. I came to the same conclusion, that it's too easy a job to do to pay someone $90 to do it. Heck, it's easier than an oil change...

That said, I was looking at Mobil's web site, and they have some 75W-90 fully synthetic oil. It says that it is designed for limited slip differentials, but that in some cases, an additive may be needed. Wonder if the Tacoma would need anything along with this oil, or if 75W is just not right for it?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Fully_Synthe- tic_Gear_Lube_75W-90LS.aspx

I'm also wondering about retoruqing the shaft. I'll have to look that one up. I'm sure it requires more torque than the torque wrench I have can measure...

Thanks for the assistance on the diff oil change. Can't believe it's that easy.
  • Options
    taco05taco05 Member Posts: 1
    yea i'm having the same problem except i have to wait a long while. i brought it into the dealer and they said it's fine. bring it home now it's dead on my driveway again..is there a special way you crank it up?
  • Options
    I've never had it completely die before, just take several cranks before it would start. For instance, one time, I let it crank about 8 times, and it did not start. I released the key, waited about 5 seconds, and tried it again. After about 3-4 cranks, it started.

I remember earlier in this thread, that some people had some starting problems where it just wouldn't ever start. I don't remember exactly how they got the problem fixed, or what it was, but you might want to search the thread. It was way back when only the 2005's were out.
  • Options
    i remember some discussion some time ago about not starting instantly. and i've had it a few times when my truck was newer (1-1/2 yrs old). the replys lead to turning the key to accessory for a few seconds allowing the electric fuel pump to come up to speed...... then to start....
  • Options
    iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    For 2007 my friend told me all thats different about the Tacoma's is that is a new interior chip was added, and the engine can now take different gases. The rest is the same as an '05, or an '06.
  • Options
    woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    Wow... someone that I totally agree with! (Heck, I'm only an engineer that drives an average of 700 miles per week.) You're right, get a 4WD only if you need it. Besides higher cost due to initial purchase price, more maintenance and lower MPG, insurance is usually higher. You'll also give up some acceleration and handling due to the drivetrain and extra weight. A 2WD with good tires can go through snow...
  • Options
    boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    I don't know what an interior chip is but the '07 is the same as the '06 and '05.

I can run 87, 89 or 93 in my 2005. The '07 is still going to "recommend" premium, as all Toyota V6 engines do. I do get noticeably better gas mileage and acceleration running 93. However it still ran fine (i.e. no knocking) on 87.

Here is the list of changes from Toyota for the 2007 model Tacoma:

1. 2TR-FE ENGINE

The tailpipe emission regulation except for the California models complies with the Bin5.
    The shape of the exhaust manifold has been changed.
    The capacity of the TWC (Three-Way Catalytic converter) has been optimized.
    The generator pulley with the one-way clutch is used.

2. 1GR-FE ENGINE

The capacity of the TWC has been optimized.
    The same generator pulley as in the 2TR-FE engine is used.

3. Brake Control System

The brake control system (ABS, EBD, Brake Assist, TRAC, VSC, Auto LSD) is available as optional equipment for the X-Runner.

On the models with the VSC function, the Auto LSD switch has been discontinued, and the VSC OFF switch and the VSC OFF light have been provided.

The VSC/TRAC warning light has been discontinued. As the VSC/TRAC warning light has been
    discontinued and the VSC OFF light has been added, the illumination patterns of the respective warning lights and indicator lights during the operation and the malfunction of the brake control system have been changed.

4. Tire Pressure Warning System

The illumination pattern of the tire pressure warning light during the tire pressure warning system
    malfunction has been changed.

5. Combination Meter

The following indicator lights have been newly added or discontinued in the combination meter.

The RSCA (Roll Sensing of Curtain shield Airbag) OFF indicator light has been added for the models with the RSCA.

The VSC/TRAC indicator light has been discontinued.

6. SRS Airbag

The RSCA has been newly provided on the models with the curtain shield airbag.

The RSCA OFF switch, which turns OFF the RSCA, is also used.

The passenger airbag manual ON-OFF switch, which was provided for the regular cab type models with the front bench seat, has been discontinued.

7. Audio System

The neodymium speaker is used to reduce the speaker body weight.

Nothing too groundbreaking here. It's the same truck, as expected.
  • Options
    The generator pulley with the one-way clutch is used.

What is the difference here? Is a clutch not used in the 2005?

I just wonder if this is perhaps the reason that sometimes in the dead middle of summer in Texas, that when I start the truck, and engage the AC for the first time, that there is this loud noise generated...

Not sure, but I guess since my truck just passed the 36,000 mile mark this week, I'm hosed.
  • Options
    Very interesting information. Can you tell us where you get al that detailed info? I love the techie stuff as well...

In addition, the 4-cylinder EPA Mileage Rating went up (see Toyota's site for more info) - like 1 mpg - not a huge deal.

They also changed the seats. More info at link title

I drove a 2007 Access Cab 4-cylinder Auto a few weeks ago, and it also seemed that the wind noise is less than in the 2006 I drove awhile back. The seats DID feel more comfortable. But that may be because I'm a pretty big, wide guy.
  • Options
    marcusxmarcusx Member Posts: 22
    Was it roomie for you inside the 07? I'm a big guy too and the 06 was little bit cramped for me. It was an Access Cab too.

Marcus
    http://www.TacomaWorld.com
  • Options
    I thought it was fine - lots of legroom, anyway. Both front seat passengers will do fine in an Access Cab - the rear seats are for small people, and only for short hops. But they are pretty easy to get to with the rear-hinged doors.
  • Options
    I haven't looked inside a 2007 yet but wondered if they improved the clock LED for daytime visibility. Did you notice if there was a change for this on the '06 or '07 Taco?