Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    pfreddpfredd Member Posts: 1
    I have installed a Delphi Roady 2 unit in my 2005 Tacoma. I used the stick on mount that came with the unit, placed it in the compartment behind the large cup holders, below the heater controls. The only draw back is changing the channels while driving, buttons are very small. Solved this by buying the remote control. Because this unit transmits the signal to my radio, I have had some minor problems with finding a clear station. Also, the Road 2 is easy to move to a second vehicle.
  • Options
    rachunterrachunter Member Posts: 21
    toyota motorcycle / front of bed tie downs.

http://toyotapart.com/installation/PT785-35054.pdf
  • Options
    matacomamatacoma Member Posts: 6
    I got the hitch but no ball with my DC LB tacoma also. Just figured that the ball hitch was separate purchase, working with retail I know about add ons.
  • Options
    volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    indigo ink - The protection plan is a waste of moneyy don't get it. If you want an extended warranty instead I have a link to a dealer that sells them at invoice regardless to where you bought the truck (althoug you have until the factory warranty expires to get it - so I'm waiting until next year's tax return :) I'm sure there are plenty of places up there in snow country that provide undercoating cheaply.

If they won't budge on the MSRP price I would call around to other dealers even if you have to drive a little ways to get it.

As for you Jetta, I would bet there are plenty of people over on Vortex or VWFix (I think that't the name) who would be happy to buy it off you.
  • Options
    matacomamatacoma Member Posts: 6
    Since I got my DC LB 4x4 tacoma in Jan 05 I've had 2 minor issues that toyota remedied very quickly: my brake light switch died... which also controls whether you can shift out of park or not. There is an overide next to the left of the automatic transmission shift lever. And Second the SRS light sensor went hay wire....that deals with the front airbag. The Taco has never been in a collision of any kind the sensor was just defective. There was only 1970 miles on the truck. Has any one else had these issues? I still Love the truck and call them minor problems just an inconvience going back to the dealer to get them fixed.
  • Options
    rachunter - that' a great link. Thanks for posting.

Also, makes sense about the 7 to 4 connector. I don't know what the heck was included with mine now. Will stop being lazy tomorrow and go look at it. If the stealer tries to make you pay for it say no thanks and go to Walmart and get one for $4.
  • Options
    vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Rachunter:

Are the tiedown hooks you are talking about ones that mount in the 2 drain holes in the bottom of the bed like the d rings at the back, or are they the d rings that fit the rail system directly in back of the cab?

vmiman
  • Options
    bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    I agree, and they wounder why people hate dealers ans sales people so much, they try to squeeze every dollar out of they customers, but they are the competitors and other dealers, i was getting an accident settlemen and went about 20-30 dealers just looking at cars and seeing how they treat me so when i get my money i knew where and what i wanted, if they wont work with me see ya!!and go some where else, but wish you luck i know people are having a hard time find their tacos.
  • Options
    vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Rachunter:

Can you also install the d-rings in those holes in the front of the bed??
  • Options
    tacomadavetacomadave Member Posts: 24
    I think that toyota is trying to keep people from using there cruise control for the first 1000 miles. I think your ok as long as you don't stick it on 70 mph and leave it there for a hour or more. but thats just my opinion. that said i have a question of my own. The owners manual says that the truck sould not be warmed up at idle. Does this include the time after start up when the choke has the engine at a higher idle?
  • Options
    larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    I thought about it but I don't want to block drain holes. I don't know perhaps drilling new holes is possible but scary!
  • Options
    banjomanbanjoman Member Posts: 15
    Hobo- Autodim mirror plus tinted glass in the campertop = NO visibility when you are backing up. Best to rely on your sideview mirrors to see where you are going in reverse. The 05 backup lights I think are very bright but I added aux backup/work lights on the roofrack to help me see on those crappy rainy/foggy nights we have here in NY.
  • Options
    banjomanbanjoman Member Posts: 15
    Hey Arcpass- if you can wait a few days till the weekend, I'll shoot some pix of my taco w/ the campertop for you. Need some daylight and time to download the pix.
    Banjoman
  • Options
    djwtarheeldjwtarheel Member Posts: 14
    I have a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyhow....my tacoma came with the Toyo Protection Plus package (didn't want it, but it was already on the truck-so I had to get it to get the truck I wanted). Anyhow, I was curious if anyone knows much about the Toyo Guard "cleaner" that you are supposed to apply every 3 months to the vehicle with the protection package. I applied it and it was like a liquid wax, but it says it is not-that it is a "cleaner" and "antioxidizer".....My question is whether it is worth it to continue this as directed or just switch over to a regular wax like Meguire's, etc.? My dealer told me that if I used this stuff that I didn't need to wax which didn't sound right to me?? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    indigo_inkindigo_ink Member Posts: 23
    arcpass - Two dealerships said they were made in Texas but after a little research today I think they just said that because it is where the Tundras are assembled, and they won't admit they didn't actually know.

The truck I ordered is coming from California so I think you are right.
  • Options
    tacoma05tacoma05 Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys, either I am mistaken or I got jacked. If you all will or atleast one of you will you go look at your truck, open the tailgate and look at the inside of the bed on the right and left is it all plastic or are the sides just before the tailgate metal? I think someone took off the two plastic pieces on my truck b/c there is a crow-bar like scratch on the right side that I swear that it used to be plastic. If this is the case I don't understand why someone would steal this piece, I'm really bummed! Take a look for me and let me know please... thanks, jon
  • Options
    tacoma05tacoma05 Member Posts: 8
    nevermind on checking for me I just found a picture on toyota.com and I got jacked. That sucks someone actually stole both plastic pieces off the inside of my bed I can't believe it. I didn't know that it was that easy to un-assemble. I guess I have to go to toyota and find out how much they are to replace them, has this happened to anyone else? This just seems stupid I guess if someone wrecked theirs why not take mine right? I hate people who are stupid enough to steal...
  • Options
    bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    Just getting used to my dcab 4x lb and I noticed that the composite material is actually white underneath the surface. I threw a couple of electric motors in the back and gouged it pretty deep. The black coating is not very thick maybe .02" or so. Guess a bed mat is in order here. Someone else mentioned the adjustable cup holder is either too wide or too narrow maybe they are made for a .5 litre of saki
  • Options
    The tundra's are not even assembled there yet. the san antonio plant won't go online for a few more months.
  • Options
    lennonlennon Member Posts: 2
    What did you do to get them to swap your tires?
    Complain? Threaten them?
    I work in forestry and it would really help with new tires. Bought my 05 TRD off road access cab in December. BF rugged Trails really SUCK!!
  • Options
    kevinmtbkevinmtb Member Posts: 5
    I too received one. It was in the glove box. Did not get the hitch receiver though. Might have something to do with differant regions?
  • Options
    joesslajoessla Member Posts: 7
    Have 230 miles on my new truck, and yesterday, it would not stop at an intersection. Easing up to light, I applied the brakes and and the engine started surging and vehicle would not stop. Practically mashed the pedal through the floorboard and truck finally choked down with me in middle of intersection. Cranked up second time I tried and got the heck out of Dodge. Dealership now says they can't find anything wrong with it. What the heck would you do? I paid cash. Had this to happen twice previously, but less stressful and on a smaller scale. Help!!!!!
  • Options
    If you continue to get no results from the dealer I would either drop it off at their front door and tell them to keep it until they fix it or I would take it to a different dealer. Brake problems are a serious safety hazard so don't settle for getting the runaround on this.
  • Options
    I may be wrong here but if you guys will check the wires that you are talking about that were in your truck when you bought it I think you will find that it is for hooking up a electric brake and has nothing to do with the 7 to 4 pin connector. At least that is what was in my truck.
    When you get a chance check this out and let me know. The 4 pin connector I'm speaking of should plug into the plug by the hitch and the other end should have 4 pins.

Hitch
    The drop hitch that slides into the receiver on trucks with the tow package is NOT included with the tow package. I'm sure some dealers include them with the truck but they are not included with the tow package from Toyota. Even if you go to a parts store and order a brand new top of the line Reese type receiver it will not include the drop hitch. You have to buy this part to work with the trailer you are going to tow I have two different trailers that I tow and they each use a different drop hitch.
    Tie downs:
    I would not mount any tie down hooks in the drain holes in the front floor of the bed, there is nothing under the bed to support the back side of a tie down, even if you put a plate on the back side of the bed the tie downs could be in the way when loading other things. If you check this link it gives detailed instructions of how and where to mount. The tie downs that this link takes you to are Toyota tie downs made for the tacoma and the cost is $25 for 2, that sounds like a pretty good deal for factory parts.

Link to Toyota tie downs for front of bed:

http://toyotapart.com/installation/PT785-35054.pdf

Thanks,
    Rachunter
  • Options
    toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    >Hey guys, either I am mistaken or I got jacked. If you all will or atleast one of you will you go look at your truck, open the tailgate and look at the inside of the bed on the right and left is it all plastic or are the sides just before the tailgate metal?<>

It is metal.
  • Options
    toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    >Can you also install the d-rings in those holes in the front of the bed??<>

The tie downs are mounted on the front sides of the bed as described in a link someone else provided. They come with a backing plate and are rated at 440 lbs.
  • Options
    paldentepaldente Member Posts: 12
    Lennon,

I'm not sure how much luck you're going to have now. I am getting a $300 check from my dealership for the Rugged Trails, however I am doing this before I take delivery. I will be getting Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 265/75/16's, Standard Load, for $119 a piece on tire rack.

Depending on how many miles on our your tires, you might be able to get some credit at the dealership if you are very unhappy with the tires.

Good Luck,

Justin
  • Options
    Thanks Volley. Just about what I'm gonna do. Only problem, I paid cash so it is mine. I am absolutely too afraid to drive it now, though.
  • Options
  • Options
    newtaconewtaco Member Posts: 5
    there was a discussion a while back about the Vin Number.
    Here is a Toyota site that can decode it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_VIN_codes
  • Options
    brodeyobrodeyo Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone else experienced a loud metal on metal sound when hitting a small pot hole or bump? It sounded as if someting was loose, but it didn't sound like it was the shocks compacting. I have the dbl cab sport (pt) package....
  • Options
    If the VIN# starts out with a 5 that means it was made in Freemont, CA.

If it starts with a 3 that means it was made in Tijuana.
  • Options
    gunner2gunner2 Member Posts: 1
    The selection of models we have in Canada is really poor.I have been thinking of crossing the border and buying one in Seattle has anyone done this I know they are duty free.
  • Options
    nstg8r1nstg8r1 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '05 Black Sand Pearl Tacoma Access Cab Sport Package w/Dee Zee tubes. And man did I have to wait a long time. 2 whole months for this vehicle. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are superchargers being made for this vehicle. I would like to make use of my hood scoop. Thanks.
  • Options
    eddabloweddablow Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody tried to put a aluminum topper from a 2002 Tacoma on a 2005 Tacoma?
  • Options
    griffith_dgriffith_d Member Posts: 23
    I have purchased a T100, Sequoia, and now a Tacoma...all came with a ball mount. The T100 came with a Toyota 2" ball.

Griff
  • Options
    canadiantacocanadiantaco Member Posts: 24
    u cant import cars they lose there warranty... i already tried to do that one... im from canada to got my build date today apr 12
  • Options
    Joessla - The fact that you paid cash does not affect your warranty. You still have 3/36. This is a major safety hazard. Take it in right away and demand it i fixed. Call Toyota if you have too.
  • Options
    Don't do it. The beds are not the same size no matter what if it looks like it will fit. The thread that was going around about the cracked composite bed. The guy had tried to do the same thing..put a topper from the previous model year on the 05. The size difference (and the stress of off road) put too much pressure on the bed and you guesed it...it cracked.
  • Options
    sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    Can people with the 4x4 TRD Sport package and 4x4 TRD Offroad package measure the distance from hub center to fender lip on one of the front wheels and post here for everyone? I am really curious to know if there is a difference in ride height. Please also note what model configuration you have (DC, Acess cab, etc)

Here in So Cal, we can only order the 4x4 double cab in the TRD Sport and I hate the thought of getting a "lowered" truck, which it almost looks like with the silly 17" street tires. I cannot seem to find any definitive explanation of the suspension difference between the Sport and Offroad suspension systems in terms of ride height, etc.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    macgyver33macgyver33 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, just picked up my 05 Taco last saturday and love it. I got the 4X4 V6 6 speed access cab with TRD Off road pack + tow pack in the speedyway blue and it looks awesome and is the perfect midsize truck, not too big not too small. Anyway, I am a big custom audio nut and I have seen you guys talking about the stereo in the truck and I would say it sounds ok but it can't beat aftermarket. Has anyone put any subs or amps in an access cab yet, if so where and do you have any pictures? I was thinking of putting stuff under the front seats but there are way too many wires. Does anyone have an pictures of installs you have done so far? My e-mail is phelank33 at comcast dot net. If anyone has a website or e-mail list I could get on for customizing these new 05 tacos I would be very appreciative and I will take pictures of my projects to add to the community for you guys.

Thanks,
    MacGyver33
  • Options
    bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    congrats on the new truck, i hope you love yours as i do mine, have 1810 miles no problems. I did put my 2 12" subs from my last vehicle,and new speakers and amp for the speakers, the amp for the subs are behind the rear seat(double cab) and the amp for the speakers is under the driver seat, its all nice and sounds great, and still on factory deck, waiting for the dash kits to come out and i will get another deck, I had this done at car aiduo store called audio express they only charge $1 per item to intsall, well hope you find what you are looking for!
  • Options
    rideamtnrideamtn Member Posts: 16
    Do you have any pics of the sub/amp install? I'm very interested to see how it was done. I'm planning to install 6.5 comp's in the front (I'll make adapters out of MDF), 6.5 coax in the rear and a 12" sub behind the rear seats. Of course, after the dash kit comes out. by the way...I called Scosche a week ago about the latest dash kit release date. They put it back until the end of May. Bummer... Haven't heard anything about American International's latest release date.
  • Options
    4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    How to import into Canada:
    http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Ian

Ps. Wait til the looney hits .84-.85 range again or forget about it.
  • Options
    canadian_tacocanadian_taco Member Posts: 8
    Hey There,

I am just curious if Toyota has been notified of the problems discussed in these posts and if they are doing anything about them, ie fixing the problems on the recently built trucks.

Tx
  • Options
    I have spoken with the customer service department for Toyota corporate and have filed a complaint about the Prerunner surging forward after putting on the brakes. Also, I learned that the dealership that I dealt with had a vehicle surge into the showroom last week. If the salesman that I bought mine from had been at his desk, he would have been killed. I have no confidence in my Prerunner and do not feel like I can drive it with any sense of security that it will stop.
  • Options
    1257212572 Member Posts: 7
    read message# 2216.
    I agree.
  • Options
    5tdcsb5tdcsb Member Posts: 8
    Hey nbtacoma,

I am suppose to pick my 05 Taco with DC/SB TRD Off road up next week, being the first week in April. It is about a 5 week wait. I do mostly highway driving, about 70 miles one way to work. So your problem with cruise control concerns me. If you can't use the cruise control for more than one hour at a time. As soon as you get an answer can you let me know? Anyway, there are alot of interesting readings here, some good, more bad. But nothing so far seems to be anything that bad except that story about the truck surging forward, that person should go straight to Toyota and report that and if that does not work. They should get a local news team on it and that usually makes heads roll. Anyway, good luck with this cruise problem and I hope you get an answer soon.

5TDCSB
  • Options
    gymrat590gymrat590 Member Posts: 1
    I was told by a sales guy in a southwestern Illinois dealership that I cannot "order" a TACO, that I'm at the mercy of whatever Toy. puts out that month. Furthermore, he informs that availability is regionally driven and that building your own on the toy website is merely a fallacy. Is there any truth to this or is this guy yanking my chain? Thanks.
  • Options
    To avoid driving one speed to long during break-in i just varied my speed between 50 and 75. also stop on the side of the road once every 35-45 miles. This will assure that the truck does not operate at one rpm range for to long. Thats just my advice i could not get a definitive answer from toyota.