Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• impulsiveimpulsive Member Posts: 11
    Just bought the Impulse Red 4x2 PreRunner DoubleCab, added 265/70/R16 Michelin LTX and Ivan Stewart TRD alloys - very nice! Immediate disappointments have to include NO sunroof option. I am going to go STIR crazy if someone doesn't hurry up and show me proof of an aftermarket sunroof / moonroof installation . Can classic soft trim or other well known shops install a quality electric sliding sunroof securely considering the new tacomas have the raised sheet metal ridges in the roofline.... do those create a problem.. again photos would be GREAT, esp. if done by class soft trim since we have one nearby in Atlanta. How close to the front windshield do they start the installation. I could not believe their has been no follow up in quite awhile on this topic !! I'm beggin'.... Also, completely frustrated by can live with the plastic parts that get in the way of your foot above the pedal area and behind... this is a setback from previous models... I am only 5'7 156 pounds and my foot constantly touches the plastic pieces and moldings, they are too close and the gas pedal should be EVEN with the brake pedal...what's the deal! Overall, I am very pleased. This is a beautiful truck, do not underestimate the impulse red, looks great with tube steps and custom wheels..... I am getting leather added after market but need the sunroof, I'm half claustrophobic.
  • macgyver33macgyver33 Member Posts: 4
    I was curious about those Ridgelines too when I first heard about them, but then I saw some pictures and the lowdown on them and that curiosity went away. I am not saying I don't like them but they just aren't for me. I see them as being more fitting for someone who is more of a jeep type of person looking for a four door truck with all the gizmos. I frankly don't care too much for it's size and the tiny bed it has on it. That and I didn't feel comfortable buying a truck from a company that just started making them. Honda is really great for cars though, I actually just moved up from a 93 civic to this new taco. You can have all your gizmos, I'll keep my reliability and just add gizmos as I go.
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Right now, V-6 engines for the Tacoma are made in Japan & shipped over. Beginning in mid-2005, the Huntsville, Alabama plant will be making the V-6 engines for the Tacoma.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    You gotta buy what speaks to you. The Taco is a great truck. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Before the Ridgeline I was driving a 2wd 91 Toy truck. I still have it and like it as much now as the first day I bought it. It's never given me one problem in 14 years. I'm looking forward to the Toyota FJ in 06.
  • john45john45 Member Posts: 18
    Dilmurat,

I'm sad to hear about your Trans experience. I too went to the Toy dealer and asked for 05 taco v6 oil filters. After going home I poped the hood and noticed a huge difference from under the hood and what they gave me. I called to get infomation about what Oil filter I should get and they assured me they gave me the right one. But because the oil filter were so different I insisted that it was different, Service depart looked it up and apoligized. I cann't believe how many idiots are around.

I hope you can get a new transmission, but I think it is very unlikely. The manual for our truck FORBIDS any other trans oil. Please let us know how they deal with it and where and who they are.

John
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I was polishing and waxing my new black DC 4x4 TRD Sport#2 today and I noticed that the entire lower 8" of the cab seems to have a clear protective spray coating on it. You can see it when you get close and you can definitely feel the difference in the paint. It is on both sides of the truck, and it goes from fender to fender. I haven't noticed this on any other 05 Taco. Is this something that Toyota has just added to the production of the Taco? Mine was built 03-05. The coating seems pretty nice. Might prevent chipping and stuff from road debris.
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    Check customtacos.com very informative go to the forum and the internal/audio options...It has a lot of photos in it... :surprise:
    Has anybody tested how the V6 runs on 91 vs 93 or higher octane? Here in SW Ohio 91 octane is medium grade; 93 and 94 octane are high octane. I was just wondering if the performance or gas mileage is affected much by using one or the other. I'll use 93 if I have to, but if 91 works just as good then I can save some $.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    How about some detail shots displaying how the top is attached to the bed?

Thanks!
  • mulhern1mulhern1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 toyota tacoma with a code po172 I have had the truck 5 years and never a problem. I do all the required maintenance. The truck run's normal except once and a while the idle will go up and down when I first start it? I know that p0172 means the truck is running to rich. I am thinking that since the truck runns good always except once and a while then maybe it is the ECU or the MAF but the engine light only comes on after I get off the highway meaning the system is scanning in closed loop and the o2 sensor is at operating temp. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • countrycatcountrycat Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab TRD Sport Package #2 this week. I haven't picked it up yet because it was sent out for a power sunroof installation yesterday. I also had concerns about the installation because of the ridges in the roof but I have been assured that it can be done. (Attention to Detail in Connecticut is doing the installation.) It should be in next week, I'll send you some pictures when I get the truck. Hope this helps!
    Great, great! More replies the better... the truck goes out for leather in a week or so, I could delay, but I need the confidence to determine if I want soft trim classic to do a sunroof at the same time but know all the possibilities before hand. Installation prices vary, but this one may get done for $895, I don't know what model..someone in an earlier post, way earlier, said he got a really nice sunroof, didn't indicate the model though. I'd also like to see if anybody has comments on the foot pedal room and plastic annoyances... thanks for the response, pictures will be great, from inside and outside if possible..anyone for that matter.
  • jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    Hi banjoman
    Can you e-mail me your addy, I want to ask you lots of questions about your SungTop Shell thanks
    jessupr@yahoo.com
  • bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know if they have bed mats out yet? I'd like to get one to keep stuff from sliding around. The composite bed is nice but a little slippery. If so where can I find one.
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    That topper looks real sharp. What company did you get it from. That would look good on my Indigo access cab. Thanks.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    toyotapart.com has them for around $60. Not sure what shipping would be, but you can check without ordering, if I remember correctly.

Dealers should have them, but around $80.

I have one, and they work great for keeping stuff from sliding around.
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    I don't know if it will eventually be doable right now. Once the dash kits come out and more people start changing out thier headunits there will probably be better information on it.

I have the sterring controls and use them all the time. They are very handy and worth the upgrade (I have the 6-disc).
    Can't wait to see pics of this. I would love to get a sunroof. Will be interested in seeing where it is located too in relation to the OHC and dome light and if they have to be removed.
    I have one too and love it as well. Very heavy duty and my plastic toolbox hasn't moved an inch since the day I put it in.

I got mine from ebay.
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    Each time I drive my PreRunner 6 sp it brings a smile to my face. It is so much fun driving that truck. I just get the feeling that it was all done right, despite some of the compaints on this forum.
  • jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    Keep in touch with Crutchfield.com. Currently no adapter exists from the steering wheel controls to an aftermarket units, but one may come. I spent the $200 just in case on is developed.

JD
  • gnitsgnits Member Posts: 9
    Bought the Toyota mat from my local dealer for <$100. Helps out a lot.

BTW, Pop & Lock has been released. Will pick my tailgate lock up today.
    (Part# PL-5200)

Undercover says their bed cover will hit the streets sometime around June.
    Can anyone provide pictures of the JBL sub box and woofer size?

I just know it takes up space behind the rear right(60% side of seat). My friend says his warehouse has one in stock, but can't open the box to check details. The amp is listed around $800. He said the box was under $100, but need to confirm material type and if it includes woofer.

I'm hoping it's a custom design that includes some pocket storage spaces at least a 8" woofer.

Thanks in advance.
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    #1971 of 2836 Re: Seat Covers [larry10] by nu_to_taco Mar 02, 2005 (10:10 pm)

I had some problems with my seat covers also - the black and grey with TRD badge on seat back. On drivers side I had to shorten the plastic tube. On the passenger side I removed the tube altogether. The tube was 2 pieces on the passenger side for some reason.

Got the same covers. I removed the tube from the drivers side cover, and used one of the pass. side tubes instead. The shorter tubes made it easy to push in between the seat and back. I was able to get a nice tight fit. They look great, and the TRD badging matches the ones on the truck. Like someone else said the "wetsuit" material probably will make you sweat a bit in the warmer weather.
  • firecontrolfirecontrol Member Posts: 4
    Today is the first day with a sustained rain. Went to get in the truck & there is a small lake on the drivers side floor! Carpet & mat soaked! Stinks to high heaven! Has anyone seen a tech report or tech tip for this yet? I see a lot of posts, but nothing official from Toyota. Is it a Toyota recognized problem? Has anyone seen a DIY fix?
    Any help is appreciated or guidance to a specific post.
    Thanks from Vermont!
  • sbsyncrosbsyncro Member Posts: 66
    See my post from a couple days ago in the "Problems" thread (post #1165) try this link. There is a Technical Service Bulleting from Toyota on this, and it is something the dealer will fix under warranty
  • 1sttacoma1sttacoma Member Posts: 9
    Hello! Thank you to all who post...it's helped me make the decision to buy my first Tacoma (Access Cab 4x4 Off Road pkg). I'm confirming my "order" on Monday and I still need to decide on the color. I wanted Indigo Ink, but after reading about all of the paint chips/scratches I'm thinking either silver or white may be better (also, I am NOT a regular washer/waxer). Any feedback on the visibility of the paint chips/scratches on either the white or silver?

Although I realize white may be harder to keep clean (looking), I'm leaning in this direction.

Thanks,
    b.
  • bluexrunnerbluexrunner Member Posts: 5
    yep same problem here cheap paint
  • rideamtnrideamtn Member Posts: 16
    Check out this website. This guy has done some nice mod. work to his truck. Pics will get the creativity flowing. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/476944
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Where did you get your P&L? Cheapest I've seen is $45.
  • bro45usbro45us Member Posts: 36
    reguarding the "ultimate toy" guy with the silver sport model that has all the mods like the tv monitors thats all cool but I just cant see wasting all that money. Perhaps if he would spend money more wisely he could invest in a home and get out of that dumpy apartment complex that we see in the photos and still have a real nice truck.
  • xsactaxsacta Member Posts: 26
    Your comments are quite unecessary given that this is a site for enthusiasts .Are you bored or just a hard sell realtor?
    I paid that much locally. Problem is... Retrax sent my local dealer PL-5100, THE WRONG ONE. The waiting game continues. Retrax needs to get a clue and straighten up their act. My dealer has been getting the run-around for weeks. Other local stores want $70-$85. I've seen them online for $40-$45 plus shipping.
  • johndeerejoejohndeerejoe Member Posts: 19
    Just went on a 300 mile round trip and got 23mph going about half the way doing 85 and the rest at 75. Has anyone herd anything else on a new skid plate replacing the one that comes new on the truck. I would like a new stronger skid plate not one that bends at 90. anyway awesome truck.
    I have a silver and although I have some chips (not to the point that many have had) and I have to get on my hands and knees and look really close to find them. And it looks great when I don't get a chance to wash it for a few weeks.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Have same truck in white and I'm not having paint chip problems. at all. Also, white is THE color for those of us who don't like to wash the thing weekly. Dirt is actually a lot closer to white than just about any other color (though silver may be close). White doesn't show scratches in the clear coat and it doesn't show dirt. It's a bit of a conservative choice, but I know five years from now I will be glad I can't see all the normal wear and tear on the finish.

That's my $.02.
  • banjomanbanjoman Member Posts: 15
    Toyota offers the Snugtop as an option with the 05 models. I ordered the shell with the truck in Jan 05. You're right tho, it is a sharp lookin' top, despite some of it's drawbacks which I described in my earlier post. I don't know if any other company offers shells yet for the 05. If your looking here is the link to Snugtop:

http://www.snugtop.com/

Good luck!!">link title
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Note that photos of the bed floor DO NOT show front tie downs, ansd the offical spec states (2) floor tie downs.

I'm buying front ties as well, and scrutinized the literature looking for something that would get them for me for free.
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    what is your' build date?
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Don't worry about the ridges. I had one put in and have a soft gasket that runs right along with the ridges. The front of the sunroof is on the level, smooth part of the roof so it is not an issue with headwind, rain, etc. My roof has 2 presets and will automatically close when I shut down the ignition.

I hope you enjoy the stars! I do.

B
    buffalonickel... do me a favor, please.....I'm distressed, got more things to be paranoid about than to be...seems silly doesn't it... if you can share more specific details on your install I'd be very interested... is it electric sunroof, what brand, what company did it, where does it start on the inside and end, and is the maplight moved..is it fullsize...did upholstery go back flawless......I'm very anxious for all these extra details.. offline if necessary let me know. ... appreciate ya !!!
    I think we would all like some details and pics of your sunroof.
  • schoolieschoolie Member Posts: 6
    Sounds like a nice addition volley! The Flowmaster 40 Original, SI/SO, w/ 18" Magnaflow SS tip that is. I have a 2005 DC 4x4 auto with TRD off-road #2 and have been thinking about putting something like this on. Can you tell me how much it cost you total (parts, labor, etc.) to have it put in? Also, where did you have it done and does it affect ground clearance or anything like that? Any info appreciated.

thanx
    Thanks bigandy and volley!!

I'm going with white. I was thinking white would be very difficult to keep clean, but after reading your post...there's no doubt that white is my color!

Thanks again!
  • tgrossotgrosso Member Posts: 4
    I bought the top of the line X-Tang. Very simple install. Open the cover in a warm area to stretch out. Not in your driveway. It will get scratched. Wife and I put it on in 30-45 minutes.Hardest part was lining it up so it was all even. Paid $215 shipped to my house. autoanything.com
  • crankyfrankcrankyfrank Member Posts: 4
    Dry as a bone in my reg cab. no sign of leaks
    Since my Taco is only a week old, I'm wondering if this is supposed to be a new fix for the paint chipping problem. I posted this earlier and got no reply.

"I was polishing and waxing my new black DC 4x4 TRD Sport#2 today and I noticed that the entire lower 8" of the cab seems to have a clear protective spray coating on it. You can see it when you get close and you can definitely feel the difference in the paint. It is on both sides of the truck, and it goes from fender to fender. I haven't noticed this on any other 05 Taco. Is this something that Toyota has just added to the production of the Taco? Mine was built 03-05. The coating seems pretty nice. Might prevent chipping and stuff from road debris. I've drove down a few gravel roads and haven't seen any nicks or chips in the paint."
  • nbtacomanbtacoma Member Posts: 15
    Rain storm here for last couple of hours....cab is nice and dry...Access Cab.
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    just returned from a 850 mile round trip and found, 65-75mph i get 21.66mpg, and 75-85mph, get 20.5 mpg, spent a total of about $115 on gas using 91 the whole time, the seats are reallly comfy, went 4 hours before stopping, could of went longer but needed gas, my truck perfromed wounderful, went up hills no problem, easy to just guide it down the road, smooth, quiet i am so gald i made the switch from the 04 taco to the 05, the 04 seats werent comfy at all after 2 hours, no problems, on the trip.
    "Since my Taco is only a week old, I'm wondering if this is supposed to be a new fix for the paint chipping problem. I posted this earlier and got no reply."

Nice! I hope the coating is Toyota's response to the chipping. Especially if it works! I would like to hear from others who have recently picked up their new trucks also -- do they have the same coating and therfor no scratches/chips??

Also, the dealer told me that buying a white vehicle depreciates it more than any other color. Anyone else heard this or have experience with this?