Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Kia Sedona

Comments

• Options
    akoliveakolive Member Posts: 20
    Hi all,
    Our family purchased a Sedona LX about 2 and half weeks ago and so far so good. Just filled it up and have almost 300 miles.
    This sure is a sure-footed van, I really like the way it drives. Yes the seats are hard but not overly. Hope the soften up a bit. Transmission - excellent!
    Looks like we are getting around 17-18 mpg but won't know for sure till this tank is done.
    One thing I overlooked when test driving was where the heck do you store things like emergency kits, jumper cables, etc. Man there just isn't much space for the kind of stuff.
    Will report back when we have more to report. I sure hope that the all aluminum engine fairs well in our cold Alaska winters. Anyone have any input on that subject?
    Peter
  • Options
    navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    RE: Aluminum - used extensively in aircraft engines at cold temps at altitude. I'd just have them install a block heater and use synthetic oil, though. I use synthetic. The block heater was ~$120 to install and about the same cost as I recall, so decided not to get that option since I have a heated garage, and the van rarely sits out long enough to cool completely down during the winter. We have several weeks of -25 degree weather, and a lot of below zero wx in MN too.

RE emergency kit: I have the old model with limited space behind the seats. We keep our emergency kit in a seabag like duffle bag behind the seat. Yes, it takes up a lot of the room, but I won't travel without it. Coats, etc go with us.

Doesn't the 2006 have a well for the folding rear seat? How often do you anticipate having it stowed?

Other option is to keep your tray up and put a bag there. I have my tool kit there. Wife would never fold it down any way...she keeps too much stuff on it.
  • Options
    b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    The huge well behind the seats is class leading, but it's NOT covered. A cargo cover is all Kia needs for this. All the same, we have a small bag with 1st aid and cables/tools. It's in the well. Like most minivans, the new Sedona is big on exposed space, but there's not a whole lot of hidden space.

5K and our 2006 Sedona is like a rock.

Capt RB
    NY
  • Options
    Thanks for the info navyair. Our van did come with a block heater installed (I think that option isn't optional up here). We also have a garage and suspect is will be parked in there most of the time. It is that occasional night or two out in the cold I am worried about.

Yes, the 06 has the well and it can fit a lot of stuff in it but only when the seat is up. When it is down where do you do you put the stuff... No biggy, the van won't give us any problems ;)

Hear you on the tray! :shades:

Thanks again. Peter
  • Options
    "like a rock" isn't that a great description of the way the van handles? I love it, it feels big and sure footed.

Yes, that well is big and great for hauling stuff when the seats are up. Unfortunetly it is a hassle trying to find a place to stow stuff when you just bought a new front door with storm door at Home Depot and you have to store it all inside. We did even with the four of us! Though is was cramp.

Peter
    AK
  • Options
    redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE BOLT PATTERN IS FOR THE 06 SEDONA.WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF OTHER WHEELS WILL FIT MY LX. :confuse:
  • Options
    betht27betht27 Member Posts: 28
    Only getting 14 MPG (mix of highway/town driving) on my new 2006 Sedona. Kind of disappointing because I was hoping to get better than what I got with my 2002. Window sticker estimate had 18/25 MPG on it. Maybe it will get better with breakin.
  • Options
    smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    things to check
    1.) make sure the OVERDRIVE BUTTON is OUT, so the yellow OVERDRIVE light is not illuminated on the dash board.
    If you have more than one driver of the car, each person will need to be educated. So them how the RPM on the tach drops when the car is in Overdrive on the highway.

In a stroke of Genius, when the car is NOT in overdrive the yellow light comes on. When the car IS in overdrive the light is OFF. The Overdrive gear lowers the engine speed and helps gas mileage.

2.) Get your tire pressure up to 32 PSI or 36 PSI if the tires can take it. My Sedona tires are rated to 44 PSI.

3.) Jack up a rear wheel in the driveway and see if the rear brakes are dragging.

4.) Change the oil up to the premium synthetic oil. Do this after the van has about 4,000 miles on it.

5.) take off slower from lights. The van is 4700 lbs. a slow start makes a big difference.

My 2002 van gets 18-20 in town and 25-28 on the interstate.

I have 78,000 miles on it now.

good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I dont see an OD button on the 2006. Even if there is one somewhere, there is no light that is lit on the dashboard saying the OD is off. So I would believe the OD is on. Plus I can see the RPM shift though all 5 gears. Must be nice to get 25-28 on the highway on your 2002, way better than the sticker estimate.
  • Options
    That is a great question! I have yet to find a thridparty selling wheels. Our parts dept are selling them for $105. That is outrageous and they even think so. They also said it will probably take the other places a while to produce the units.
    Might have to run regular tires this winter. :(
  • Options
    Yeah, it looks like our 06 is getting around 16-17mpg in town. Will know for sure when this tank is done (just the second tank).
    Our model (the 06) doesn't have the OD button so don't worry about that. If you were in the manual shift mode, you would know it.
    You should get a mile or two better after break in but not much more. Break in all depends on your driving habits too.
    The best piece of advice as previous stated is: avoid jackrabbit starts... It is easy to do with the power in this van!
    I am happy the van is not our primary vehicle as the cost of gas would hurt. We have a 97 Toy Camry that gets 28.5 mpg in the commute.
    Peter
  • Options
    dirtdobberdirtdobber Member Posts: 3
    We just bought our new 2006 Sedona EX and it now has 1600 miles. The A/C will not turn off and the blowers will not work throughout the van. We have checked all the fuses and none are blown. The A/C fan blows out only in the front and blows only slightly. We can not turn the fan up or down. We will have to take it to the dealer. Anyone have this same problem or have any suggestions?
  • Options
    greyredstargreyredstar Member Posts: 3
    Differnt van but, I did have the back air go out in my Mercury and it turned out the relay for the fan motor went bad.
  • Options
    dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    wait for the gas price to hit 3.50-3.99/gal.
    You'll see SWB popping in dealers lot overnight. Even diesels.
    Drove a Sedona SWB in Austria, not that huge boat feeling at all, very frugal and quiet.
    All minivan manufacturers have a SWB version available all over the world, except in the US. It's the gas price and profit margins that's driving them to offer them here, or not.
    Unfortunately, still the majority of the US motorists live by the "bigger is better" karma....
    About Diesels, North America's mentality and technology approach is light years behind Europe' s....
    Dan
  • Options
    lrolveylrolvey Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2006 Sedona EX yesterday. I have the standard a/c controls (not the one where you an set the degree temperature and it automatically maintains it). When I turn off the car the ac and rear temperature controls reset. In other words, when I start the van the air conditioning button is off and the rear temperature LED is set to the middle.

This can't be correct behavior because it means every time I start my car I have to remember to turn on the AC (I can live with that) and it means I have to remember to reset the rear temperature to cold or the rear air will be warm.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks!
    Lance
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    About Diesels, North America's mentality and technology approach is light years behind Europe' s....
    Dan

If the federal government used fuel taxes and tax policy to artificially create a market for diesels, they'd be much more popular here.

American cars had pollution controls and many safety features years before the Europeans.

Still no announcements on SWB availability.
  • Options
    bobcoxbobcox Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a fully-equipped 2006 EX last weekend. Very impressed. It is definitely one of my finalists, along with the Sienna.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my tape measure with me when I did the test drive. Could somebody please post the length and width of the cargo section when the 3rd-row seats are folded down?
  • Options
    I've noticed a severe vibration at 70-75 MPH with my 2006. Only have 700 miles on the van. It comes and goes. I didnt have this vibration on the same highway with my 2002 Sedona. Have an appointment on Friday to have it checked out. Hopefully just a balancing problem but since it comes and goes, who knows.
  • Options
    HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 06 SEDONA LX. THE DEALER PUT A SET OF TIRES FROM ANOTHER LX,THAT MADE IT WORSE. THEY ROTATED THE TIRES(ORGINAL TIRES),PUT THE FRONT ON THE BACK,AND THE BACK ON THE FRONT.THAT SMOOTHED :) IT OUT.DON`T KNOW WHAT IT WI`LL BE LIKE WHEN I ROTATE THE TIRES AT 6000 MILES. (FREE BY THE DEALER) GOOD LUCK, LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY FIND.(HANKOOK TIRES)
  • Options
    Took the van to the dealer and found out that the climate controls were burnt out. Can you believe it? A brand new van and already something burnt out. Hope this is all the trouble we are going to have!
  • Options
    That seems to be a great price! About $2,000 less than what we paid for our EX after a trade in and down payment. We don't have the fully loaded EX, but ours is nicely equipped. The only thing that I know of that is not on ours is the entertainment pkg, the electric doors pkg, and we don't have the automatic climate controls. We also have cloth seats.
  • Options
    I had it in the dealer today. They rebalanced the tires, found one tire out of balance. I drove it home, same vibration problem that starts at approx 70-75MPH. Very disappointed that it wasnt fixed. I called KIA customer service, not really much help there. Told me to contact the dealer again. Sure hope I dont have have a lemon on my hands. Fortunately they have 2 more opportunities to fix it.
  • Options
    HAVE THEM PUT THE REAR TIRES ON THE FRONT. IF IT GOES AWAY THEN YOU KNOW IT`S THE TIRES. GOOD LUCK, KEEP IN TOUCH....REDPTC... :mad:
  • Options
    Taking it back in next Friday, dealer said they would swap the tires and rims with another Sedona on the lot.
  • Options
    WHAT MODEL SEDONA DO YOU HAVE? WHAT BRAND OF TIRE IS ON YOUR CAR? :sick:
  • Options
    Its a LX, it has the Kumhos on it.
  • Options
    baron64baron64 Member Posts: 41
    I had my mind made up on a Sienna then started to look at the Entourage and Sedona. After extensive research, I was convinced the Kia was a far better value - no suprise. However, one of the main selling points is the warranty and with no KIA dealer for nearly 5 hours away, the warranty is pretty much useless. A Subaru dealer in town will only do emergency warranty work. The Hyuandai dealer will not do KIA warranty repairs. Apparantly KIA and Hyundai do not have the same relationship as Chrysler/Dodge. Unless I am missing something, I think I am better off with the Hyundai - even though it will cost more for less options. Anyway, for those who are considering the KIA and have a dealer close by - congrats, you have a good deal.
  • Options
    My concern about the Kia (moot since the SWB isn't available) is resale value.

The True Cost to Own data here shows the Sedona cost $3,000 to as much as $7,000 more than competing vehicles over 5 years, despite costing less up front.
  • Options
    KUMHOS ARE THE ONES MY DEALER REPLACED THE HANKOOKS WITH. HAD A BAD VIBRATION WITH THESE. THEY PUT MY ORGINAL TIRES BACK ON,PUTTING THE FRONTS ON THE REAR,THE REARS ON THE FRONT. SO FAR AFTER 3000 MILES, THEY ARE O.K.. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, WE`LL SEE HOW IT IS WHEN THEY ROTATE THE TIRES. ...REDPTC... :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    Sir, just an FYI. Using all capital letters in forums is the equivilent of shouting and screaming in conversation.

You may not mean to be shouting your responses at the top of your lungs, but that is what it seems like to others.
  • Options
    Sorry!!! :blush:
  • Options
    Simple solution, keep it until it no longer runs. Should be sometime after 10 yrs/100,000 miles.
  • Options
    mplsmommplsmom Member Posts: 1
    This is my first ever post to a forum or message board of any kind so if I do anything inappropriate, please just let me know.

I am a first time van shopper (comparing the sienna and sedona) and have been very impressed with the Kia Sedona. The sedona wins the safety race (with top ratings for the rear impact), warranty and price. Toyota wins in reliability and (from what I have heard muttered on forums and in discussions with friends) service (I keep hearing things like "yeah, they have a great warranty if you can get them to honor it" or "the warranty is full of holes" or "the service departments don't know what they are doing..."). So, I have a few burning questions. How have your 06 Sedonas been for reliability thus far? What has your service experience been like? How much maintenance is required to not void warranty and is maintenance a pain (i.e. I read they have a funny oil filter that is expensive)? I am going to sit with the husband and look through the warranty online but appreciate the input of people who have been there!
  • Options
    Good question on the oil filter... Anyone have a price on one? I cant find a price online for it.
  • Options
    So far no problems... only got 600 miles on it though.

They told me at the dealer to just keep really good service records and proof of purchase. I imagine that the filters are expensive at the dealer but it should only a year before Phram and others have their versions out. I plan to have the first change done by them anyway so they can look things over.

Be aware that gas mileage is coming in under then the EPA rating. Ours is getting 14-15 mpg in town. Hope that rises after break-in but not expecting much more.

Do enjoy driving the van, hope gas prices go down someday.

Peter
  • Options
    redbluffianredbluffian Member Posts: 7
    It sounds like you are making the same decision we did a week ago. We ended up buying the Sedona over the Toyota or Honda. The basis for that decision was the fact we were able to save over 10K on the deal. We knew that the Kia has not yet developed the reputation that the others have and deserve. We have previously owned a Toyota and a Honda and have nothing to complain about.

To balance Kia unknows, we are counting on the warranty. You can downlad the complete text from the Kia website, and after reading it, we are satisfied that it will provide the coverage we are counting on. Based on friends experiences, it has in the past for them.

We have numerous friends who have purchased Kia products from our local dealer and report good to excellent service and warranty response. As with anything else, it's the people at the dealership who make the diference.

So far, after 700 miles the Sedona has been flawless and turning in about 17 MPG. I know that 700 miles is really nothing in the life of a car, but it's a great start.

Bob
  • Options
    geogeo Member Posts: 23
    Only minor complaints and lots of smiles so far. Brakes squeal when cold, very minor oil drip (a drop or so when parked overnight). Mileage up to 24.5 mpg at 65-70 with air on, minus a few if into a headwind. City as low as 15-17 with 1 mile commutes common.

Oil filter is about $8 for a replacement element, not entire filter, just the element gets changed out. We bought a fully loaded vehicle, but nothing has broken so far. Am told this vehicle has chain driven cams and so will not need belt replacement at 60K.

Happy with this so far, plan on driving it into the ground, so will not worry about depreciation, heck one of my other vehicles is an '82 VW camper van I bought new.

Would not hesitate to buy one of these again. George in Wisconsin.
  • Options
    notanotherkianotanotherkia Member Posts: 15
    I own a 2005, I have had numorous problems with the brakes, tie rods, rotors, bearings (front).

I have found out that if you take out the oem air filter and get a cone type filter (k&n,HKS) that you can jump your milage by about 20%. I have tested this on my vehicale because I would go down hill and it would not upshift like a normal car would. I took the air filter housing off and it started woking a lot better. I am getting about 17mpg in the city and highway. I drive my van 60 miles a day around town about 20-25 mph. I have seen a difinate imrovment.
  • Options
    Ours has about 900 miles on it now, getting around 14-15 MPG still around town. Have seen about 20 on the highway. Have you noticed any vibration in the steering at around 70-75MPH and above?
  • Options
    daleaforddaleaford Member Posts: 4
    Found that WIX and Purolator both make oil filter elements for the 2006 Sedona. WIX P/N 57061 and Purolator P/N L35610.
  • Options
    ne03sedonane03sedona Member Posts: 15
    I just checked K & N site. No cone filters listed for my 2003 nor your 2005 same engine. ??? It almost sounds like you are running without the air cover, just the filter setting there? I bought the K & N replacement OEM filter, and my MPG actually went down. I have no idea if horsepower increased, but at $3.03 a gallon, who cares. The stock Sedona (02-05) has plenty enough power....and Ive recently test drove an 06. Seemed the same to me, but the salesman seemed to think I should repeatedly be told the 06 is far more powerful. Once or twice I have wound out the tach on my 03, and when I realised how stupid I was driving, peeled myself off the back window. yeah, I need MORE power ! LOLOL
  • Options
    gwallygwally Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2006 EX Power just over a month ago. Have put on just over 3000km so far on two long trips. Mileage is around 21 with the AC on. Actually got about 23-24mpg (no ac) right off the lot as we headed out on the highway right after purchase, so mileage has slipped a little. My dealer offers an oil change for 26.95 Cdn$$ so am not too worried about the cost as this is cheaper than the quickie lubes.

No complaints so far. test drove an Odyssey prior to purchase and the ride was almost identical. Firm and comfortable. I think the larger tires on the EX make a difference though have not ridden in the LX to know for sure. Very happy so far.
  • Options
    They put two new tires and rims on it today, still have the vibration in the steering wheel. Not sure what to do next, dealer said they've done about all they can do. Must just be the KUMHO tires dont like 75 MPH.
  • Options
    To bad they didn`t find something on the tires.Maybe they could put the tires from an EX on to see if a different tire an wheel size make difference.(the tires are warrented for 12 months by KIA)Maybe it`s time to call the KUMHO tire people.(what part of the country are you in?I`am from OHIO.Have you tried driving another SEDONA LX with the same tires as yours? Good luck on what ever you do. :confuse: :mad:
  • Options
    I've read a review from a owner with similar problem on Yahoo. They wrote that there were other's at the dealer with the same problem that they could not resolve. The review was on a LX.

"Sedona hits 65 to 75 mph and the steering wheel developes a severe rocking and shaking issue. Kia has replaced the front axel, checked the tires and balance. They have no idea whats causing the problem nor how to correct it. 350 miles on my new sedona and Im in a rental car because they cant fix it. The dealer has 4 other sedonas in his shop with the same issue"
  • Options
    notanotherkianotanotherkia Member Posts: 15
    Ok, sorry, I should've been more percise. You will have to buy the cone and then get a pipe plus fittings to connect it just past where the mass air flow sensor is.

I just filled up this morning and it came to 18mpg around city (20-30mph) and highway (65mph). I think I can live with that, becuase I drive about 60mi a day in city.

back to the air filter. I bought a hks filter for an old sports car I had. I just adapted the pipe and fittings to connect to the Kia.

I was down at advance auto 2 days ago and they sell k&n filters there. You will have to get with one of the employees to help you with the fittings though.
  • Options
    What was the web site on Yahoo? I would like to look at it.I just wonder if the shake is just on the LX models? :sick: :confuse:
  • Options
    churchmusicguychurchmusicguy Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 2006+ Sedona to the dealership four times in the first two weeks to try and eliminate the vibration. They can't do it. Swapped wheels, tires, to no avail. Has anyone notified the manufacturer?
  • Options
    Can you point me to a specific link on the Kia.com site where this appears? I've looked there but don't find any reference to this vibration. Help, please!
  • Options
    Yes! I have a pronounced vibration at around 70 mph. Have you found the same to be true? Did your dealer solve the problem? Mine can't figure it out.