Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Help with lease numbers from contract

gtravisgtravis Member Posts: 27
edited February 2016 in General
Please see pic for the itemization of cap cost. I am in zip code 60187. Tax is probably 7.25%
What is the formula for the sales tax of $853.22. Don't know how that number was calculated. Please advise. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,923
    gtravis said:

Please see pic for the itemization of cap cost. I am in zip code 60187. Tax is probably 7.25%
    What is the formula for the sales tax of $853.22. Don't know how that number was calculated. Please advise. Thanks

What state is this? Some states calculate the sales tax for a lease up front.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That 60187 zip is in Illinois - did they ever get their leasing laws straightened out?
    stever said:

That 60187 zip is in Illinois - did they ever get their leasing laws straightened out?

Sort of. Illinois No longer tax the entire selling price, but Cook County imposes its own sales tax for leases. The total is something like 17%.

I believe the state collects the sales tax up front and the county adds it to the monthly payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• gtravisgtravis Member Posts: 27
    iam in dupage county . zip 60187. If you buy a new car the sales tax is 7.25 and lease laws are now just like other states. Please let me know if you figure out how that sales tax was calculated..
    edited February 2016
    gtravis said:

iam in dupage county . zip 60187. If you buy a new car the sales tax is 7.25 and lease laws are now just like other states. Please let me know if you figure out how that sales tax was calculated..

It looks like the tax is calculated on the sum of the lease payments.

Sales tax obligations vary from state to state. Some tax the monthly payment alone. Others (like IL) calculate the total sales tax for the lease up front. And there are still a handful of states that applies sales tax to the entire selling price of the vehicle, which is what IL did until 2015.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    what's this "Wear and Tear" for $1195? Is that your wear and tear insurance?
    yes. excess wear insurance. I took since it increased the residual by one % or something.
    hi Mike , what other numbers do you need from my lease agreement so you can help me with the sales tax formula ? I am looking for something like "some number" * 7.25 = $853.22 Need help in finding this "some number" in my lease agreement.. My monthly payment including tax and everything is $396.90 See more details below. Thanks

gtravis said:

hi Mike , what other numbers do you need from my lease agreement so you can help me with the sales tax formula ? I am looking for something like "some number" * 7.25 = $853.22 Need help in finding this "some number" in my lease agreement.. My monthly payment including tax and everything is $396.90 See more details below. Thanks

It would be the $396.90 x the number of months in the lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

396.90 x 36 = 14288.40 and 7.25% of that is $1035.90. How do you arrive at 853.22 shown in the first pic on the top of this thread
    gtravis said:

396.90 x 36 = 14288.40 and 7.25% of that is $1035.90. How do you arrive at 853.22 shown in the first pic on the top of this thread

I can't - you'll have to ask the dealer. It's their numbers you are questioning.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

i already asked. They said same thing you said .. it's part of the monthly payment. I am hoping some lease guru on these forums will get the formula..I will ask another dealer also. I know I will eventually get it. I still have 2 years left on my lease so in no hurry.
    gtravis said:

i already asked. They said same thing you said .. it's part of the monthly payment. I am hoping some lease guru on these forums will get the formula..I will ask another dealer also. I know I will eventually get it. I still have 2 years left on my lease so in no hurry.

Trying to exit your existing lease with 2 years left could be an expensive proposition.

Just thought of something - there may be sales tax owed on any down payment or incentive.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator