Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying a new hatchback

jigsaw144jigsaw144 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2016 in General
Hi all. Looking into buying my first car. I'm currently driving a 2012 Mazda3 Hatchback, but it's a manual and I'm getting tired of shifting in traffic on my work commutes. Looking for a good, basic, similar car in the same range. Here are the options I've gathered right now.
  • Hyundai Elantra GT
  • Subaru Impreza
  • Ford Focus
  • Volkswagon Golf
They're all basically around $20k I think. Didn't like the look of the Honda Fit really, Mazda is a consideration, but no close dealership nearby + it'd be nice to try something else, and I didn't see a Toyota option.

Any thoughts on pros/cons of these makes/models? I thought I'd want all wheel drive (I live in the northeast, good amount of snow, plus I ski), but Subaru seems to be the only one that has it, so I think I have to treat that as more of a luxury than a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I really like the GT.

But I haven't driven the others.

Good tires will help a lot. Hard to beat AWD if the roads to the hills are steep though (used an Outback for that back when I was in snow country).
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What about the Civic? Have you checked those out yet?

I'd go Civic for dependability, VW for fun, and probably Hyundai for all around value.
  • Options
    Cool thanks for the recs guys! Mr Shiftright, I was really looking for a hatchback both for the look and cargo room, didn't see civics come in that variety, do they?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2016
    The hatchback might not be out yet ?? But it was scheduled for 2016.

See more HERE

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    edited March 2016
    Civic hatch will be available this fall as a 2017.

I've got an Elantra GT; chose it after looking at most of the choices in the segment.

I found the Focus and 3 to be a bit cramped inside, and though I live in CO, I didn't like the looks of the Impreza.

When I was in the market in 2013, the Golf didn't yet have the 1.8T engine; it was only available with the 2.5L 5-cylinder, which I didn't much care for.

My E-GT lease is up later this year, so I'll be in the market again. Not 100% certain that I'll stick with a hatch this time around, but the budget is about the same as yours.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Cool! So how do you like it? And do you think you'd chose it again if you had my list or you'd go with the Golf?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316
    jigsaw144 said:

Cool! So how do you like it? And do you think you'd chose it again if you had my list or you'd go with the Golf?

I've enjoyed my E-GT, though I wish I'd gotten more features (no backup camera, for instance).

Would I lease it again? Not sure -- they changed the engine so it now makes more power but gets less MPG.

Now that the Golf has the 1.8T, it will be on my list to look at later this summer. Though now, the Jetta has the 1.4T which gets even better mileage (30/41, I think).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4