Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    You might as well just look to Consumer Reports. All of their tests span from 4000 to 6000 miles worth of tests and data collection, far more than the common road test in any for-profit mag.

For the consumer's perspective, I do appreciate Consumer Reports. Its not perfect, but theres a lot to be said for their testing, and ratings scale that also judges comfort and convenience.

For the enthusiasts perspective, Car and Driver is great, with a good dose of realism as well.

All the others... Road and Track, Automobile, Edmunds.com, etc... are nice reads, and offer more information and opinions.. I just dont value them as highly as the other two. Consumers Digest makes me gag, I might add.

~alpha
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Manson, WAPosts: 7,199
    might as well stick to toasters and clothers dryers. I think that any of us could step in at that magazine and not only do as well as them but probably better. Not worth the paper it's printed on in its present state, indeed.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,910
    I agree that Consumer's Digest is pretty worthless. But I do like the different perspective Consumer Reports provides. I think they may do the most objective reviews (not to say they have no biases), plus they offer the long-term reliability surveys. I think they are also the clearest on how they evaluate cars. So even if you don't agree on how they do it, at least you know their methodology. My main beef on CR is that in 4+ years of the life of the current Elantra, they've only managed one review, of a '01 GLS. I'd think in that time they could have managed to review the GT 5-door. The GLS acquitted itself pretty well, and is one of the lowest-priced cars CR has tested in its class. I wonder how the GT would have fared. I guess we'll have to wait until the next-gen Elantra comes out before CR will take another look.
    Doesn't retest many small cars. I'd have sooner preferred a retest of the vaunted Focus, given that its equipment configurations, and more importantly, powertrain options, have changed over the years. Overall, I think it hard to say that an Elantra GT would score significantly better than the GLS. Yes, the suspension is a bit tighter... but CR doesnt place a premium on handling unless its at one end of the scale or the other. And any perceived detriment to the ride would surely be noted.

The one caveat that I have with CR is that they are slow to take note of changes to models. I get annoyed that CR continues to report the fuel economy figure of the 02 Camry XLE V6 they tested, which has a powertrain combination that hasnt been available for almost two years (non VVTi engine, 4 speed auto), for example.

And they never seem to get pricing right in their little summary comparisons.

Finally, I used to appreciate that they reported the sample vehicles number of defects, as well as the wet braking distance from 60. LISTEN UP, CR, LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving to all... off to spend some time with the family.

~alpha
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=178&sid=178&a- rticle=7782

This is more believeable as the next Elantra, not the previous one which was probably either the Accent or Rio.
  • smith20smith20 Posts: 256
    Quite a revealing pair of photos, considering they're two years before it goes on sale. Thanks for passing that along.
    What are the dual exhausts for? I don't know too many 4-bangers that use dual exhausts.
    Anything is possible, and a V6 option would sure make for a very enticing GT version of the Elantra.... but I'm a little skeptical.

Our non-turbo H4 2005 Legacy has dual exhausts, for what its worth.

~alpha
    Well we can always dream. The Elantra-based Tuscon has a V6...
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    pzev "2006 Hyundai Sonata" Sep 17, 2004 11:51am

Notice how similar the front part of the two cars look. Almost exactly alike! I would think one of the two cars front ends will be changing. Even the mirrors are duplicates.

There's no way the car in the link above is the Elantra because it's so big. In the other link the car looks smaller and more the size of the Elantra. Maybe the angle makes it look smaller when it really isn't. Even 4car thought the Optima was the Elantra.

I think the 4car pictures of the Optima?? look good though. Very nice looking car.
    Edmunds.com says the new Elantra is coming next year. I'll be glad to see that, but will believe it when I see it.

What Edmunds.com Says: The Elantra should slide into Hyundai's lineup between the upmarket NF Sonata and the entry-level Accent

What We Know: When the 2006 Elantra appears in the fall of 2005 as part of Hyundai's mammoth, two-year product offensive, it will feature brand-new sheet metal as well as a completely different interior, most notably, a much larger cabin. This upscale Hyundai model will also receive a brand-new engine, as well as different suspension. The Elantra, as it has in the past, will be marketed as a more upscale vehicle than the Accent, and the price will certainly reflect this.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2006/hyundai/elantra/100496581/prev- iew.html?tid=edmunds.f.photos.leftsidenav..0.Hyundai*
  • themanxthemanx Posts: 110
    I give up... a Toyota Corrola!??
    Don't you think there is moore than a hint of resemblence?
  • Not really.

I think both of them seem to have a taller stance and a high beltline.

The Elantra seems more squared off, while the Corolla is rounded.
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    Will somebody help me to find information about the future new re-designed Santa Fe. Some information said that the new Santa Fe will be produced in the middle of 2005, another said in the midle of 2006.

Where Can I find information about this new Santa Fe.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Unfortunately Koreans are becoming conservative in their styling changes, like the Japanese.
    Maybe--but who knows if this is really a pic of the new Elantra 5-door...
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Supposedly, the 2.7 V6 will fit in the engine bay of the current Elantra, but you may need to use the subframe from a V6 Tiburon to do it. Food for thought.
  • sandpapersandpaper Posts: 60
    I recall a news article stating that from now on, Hyundai will pursue a design philosophy of 'clean' lines, opposed to be swoopy and sculpted look of the current Sonata/Santa Fe.

The 06 Sonata is supposed to be the benchmark for this design philosophy. If you see the new unveiled photos of the 'TG' (replacement for XG350), you will see that the lines are similar to the Sonata - clean, script, and straight-ish.

Looks like Hyundai finally has a 'design DNA'.

I would expect the Elantra to follow a similar path. Some may consider this conservative while actually its a direction critics have been demanding for years.
    Yes, and based on a photo I saw in Automobile magazine of the '06 Santa Fe, it too will have much cleaner lines, reminicent of the Honda Pilot or Acura MDX. This is due to Hyundai Group's plan to clearly separate the styling of Hyundais and Kias. It is evident in the Tuscon and Sportage. And we can expect the new Elantra to look much different than the Spectra.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Does anybody know wether ABS will be offered as a standard feature all across the 06 Elantra model line? Honda will have ABS standard for the whole 06 Civic model line(DX, LX, and EX.)
  • mononeomononeo Posts: 89
    I was at Kendall Hyundai of Eugene today, and the sales manager did confirm that the new Elantra will make its debut this fall.

As for the car itself, the fact that it has dual exhaust doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you go to the Korean Hyundai website, you can see that the new NF Sonata (which has been on sale there for quite some time) has dual exhaust even when it is fitted to the smaller engine (the 162 horsepower I-4). A high power engine isn't required for dual exhaust.

Also, the idea of a more performance-oriented GT model keeps on coming up. Elantras are inexpensive cars, and only having two model ranges (GLS, GT) and one engine are things that keep costs down. Then again, however, Hyundai isn't having trouble selling its cars anymore, and there is potential for them to bring a "racier" Elantra GT to our shores. If the latter of these is the case, I would bet that the supposed engine would not be a turbo or a V6 at all. Hyundai hasn't made use of turbos in the past, and they are unreliable for the most part; both things make me disregard the idea of an Elantra turbo. A V6 would diminish fuel economy, and would move the Elantra too close to the Tiburon, a car that can get away with gas guzzling. Therefore, my idea for if they did actually bring a sportier GT would be that they would use the new 4-cylinder NF Sonata engine. That's the engine with 162 horses, and 164 lb. ft. of torque. This is an engine that wouldn't have any trouble fitting into the engine bay, and wouldn't see the considerable fuel economy and handling damage a V6 would.

Keep in mind that Hyundais cars are much more advanced than they used to be, and they are getting better much faster than anyone thought was possible (think Toyota trying to research their plant, and getting denied by Hyundai, look it up, it's true and on Edmunds somewhere). Also think about the fact that the current Elantra's EPA mileage ratings aren't that high. I bet the new car's base engine (if it has more than one engine) will see significant mileage gains (just as the new Sonata has more power and the same or better mileage, as well as the new TG330 which is the XG replacement). So if you stook that new I-4 from the Sonata into the next Elantra, I would bet on gas mileage ratings similar to the car that is out now. Although this isn't a sure thing, the Scion tC uses the exact same powertrain as a base Camry, but gets significantly worse mileage than the heavier Camry (? weird, I know).

Also, I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on the next generation 5-door. Do you think there will be one at all? It makes sense to keep it, as it is a popular choice just for being different than much of the competition, but I have seen nothing about it yet. Last time around they didn't release the 5-door until a year in, so who knows what will happen. The real question is, though: do you think it will be a wagon ala Spectra5 or hatchback ala current 5-door? Obviously the platform can work with the 5-door configuration, but which makes more sense? I would put my money on another stylish hatchback, so as to further separate the Elantra from the made-to-be-less-prestigious Spectra.

I can't wait to see how this model play out.
    Upon inspection of the HyundaiUSA site, the Sonata 4-cylinder doesn't have dual exhaust. Perhaps the dual exhaust on the Korean site is just a webpage mistake. The Elantra in those pictures does have dual exhaust, however. What that does or doesn't say is ambiguous at this point.

I would say that if they are using the I-4 from the new Sonata as the "plus" engine, it may require dual exhaust in the smaller car. Here's why: the current Elantra has variable induction. In the bigger Sonata with that same I-4 it has fixed ("tuned") induction. Maybe because the car has a smaller air dam or in an effort to get more power out of the engine, they have needed to add dual exhaust and variable induction. Just a thought.
    Also, upon further inspection to the Hyundai USA site I have found that the new Sonata's I-4 gets 24 city and 34 highway (33 w/ auto) fuel economy. This stands to prove my earlier assumption that it would makes sense for them to put that engine into the car because the mileage would not significantly suffer. In fact, these mileage ratings are nearly identical to the current Elantra, which would perhaps that when put in a smaller car like the new Elantra it would get even better mileage. Therefore, there is next to no reason to not use this engine in the Sonata.

Also, a thought is that the next Elantra may ONLY have this engine. Afterall, the current one had a lot more power than the competition standard when it came out, and now the competition is all getting 140 horsepower as their standard engine power figure. If the Elantra had 162, it'd be back in the driver seat it once was in.
  • danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    I agree on most of your points. You will not see a V6 in an Elantra any time soon and probably not ever. They have used turbo in the past, albeit in a Scoupe, so that is not the best example.
    The new 2.0L engine is supposed to get more power than the current Beta engine. I forgot the number I saw once--anybody know? So maybe that would make a good base engine for the new Elantra for the U.S., with the 2.4L engine the upgrade for the GT--so you get more performance in the "GT".
    It might make sense for them to only use the Sonata's 2.4L seeing as how the mileage estimates in the new Sonata are the same as the current Elantra... In a smaller car it would get improved mileage, and the cred from the press for having that much power. The real reason for this post is to point out the fact that many other automakers transplant engines across lines. The best example is BMW. The base 5-series, which is an expensive car has the same engine as a 3-series... There isn't really a loss of prestige there either. Also, even if there was, Hyundai has to think a lot less about prestige than BMW... If they did put the Sonata engine in a more inexpensive car, it would probably make Elantras more "prestigious" than it would diminish base Sonatas. Also, it is my bet that the majority of Sonatas sold will be with V6s, seeing as how this is the first Sonata that will hit the Camry and Accord head on and win for less dough. Afterall, Hyundai says the new V6 will be the price of a 4-cylinder Camry or Accord.
This discussion has been closed.