Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fairlesshillsfairlesshills Member Posts: 1
    Hi all NOX owners, I am happy to see the insights found in this forum.

Relieved I am not the only one frustrated by the mileage...my vehicle is a 2005 LS AWD model purchased in December 2004. Probably need the transmission re programming mentioned in many of the posts.

Speaking of transmission...my vehicle is in for a transmission leak found...slight but showing up on the transmission casing. It was found actually at a Pontiac Dealership when having an Oil Change...told to take it to a Chevy Dealer. Went to my dealer...after two days of bewilderment (and having nothing really done to it) they claim they will need it even longer. They indicate that GM has issued a DOC (document I assume) on a problem with a transmission leak. The latest is that they will use a dye of some sort to try to detect exactly where the leak is...can't yet get a straight answer on how extensive this problem may be.

Just wondering if any one has had a similar problem, noticed a slow / slight transmission fluid leak, or knows of GM's Doc...on this topic.

Will be watching for more insight on this forum.

Regards to all NOX owners...
    Bill in Fairless Hills
  • luvmyequinoxluvmyequinox Member Posts: 12
    I have had the trans mod reprogrammed. Did not help the mileage, but it feels much better shifting wise. I highly suggest getting it done. If it's enough of a problem for the manufacturer to make an upgrade, it's probably worth doing. :P
  • fedupnoxfedupnox Member Posts: 1
    Hey I have the same problem with my LT. I will be going back for the 3rd time next week to have them run more tests to find out what is wrong. I have had this SUV since April 04' and they have already replaced the starter thinking that would solve problem. Keep me posted as to what they find out because in LA they are stumped! They told me no one has come in for this yet :( Feel free to email me at Whyh8t@aol.com.
  • ghig1967ghig1967 Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased an AWD Equinox over memorial day. We were going to purchased a 4wd trailblazer, but the salesman told us the equinox would tow our 2300 lb pop up camper just fine & the pricing was better. So, we ended up liking & purchasing the Equinox. WHAT A MISTAKE !!! I really wish now I had gone with my 1st instinct the Ford Explorer !!! The dealership had U-haul install a class III hitch & wire in my brake controller. Well, the 1st time we attempted to move the camper (we have a gravel driveway, with a slight grade) I couldn't do it.. The front wheels spun like crazy, nothing from the back. Took me numerous times & ended up getting my dads explorer to tow it out. Once I got it out & hooked back up to the Equinox ends up my electric brakes were not operating correctly. We ended up going camping & while there, I made a call to the brake controller manufacturer. They told me my problem was in my brake controller., get a new one. So I did, different brand with a ground fault built in.. STILL didn't work. called tech support, told me to check my wiring, etc.. still no good.. the told me to get a new controller, still same problem. I have spent hours upon hours trying to get this to work, no luck.. Back to the problem with the AWD, I called my dealer, they said "bring it in" After 2 phone calls of "its working fine" & me arguing with me, they do some more testing "on a grassy slope" & determine the rear wheels "won't" spin. so they change some clutch assembly in the rear end & send me home. Well, surprise, surprise, I try hooking to my camper, & still no rear wheel spin "at all"... So, my wife takes it back to them, & they perform a test, tell me its operating the way its supposed to & send her home. So, now I am furious.. I take video of it spinning for proof.. I call service, raise some hell, they give me the big boss.. He asks me to bring it in, with the camper.. Well, SAME thing. no real wheel spinnage... Once again, they change this rear clutch assembly, say its working good now, spun all 4 tires on grass, & send me home.. I get home, back the camper down my driveway, put it in drive, try starting back up the hill & the one back wheel spins maybe 1/2 turn, then nothing, front wheels are spinning away & the back wheel sit there... Looks like its back to the dealership again. I am SO sorry we bought this car.. AWD doesn't work, I can't hook up my brake controller to make my trailer brakes work, like everyone else has been saying, not so great gas mileage... Wish now I had bought a FORD
  • noxonnoxon Member Posts: 6
    I'm going to NOXville! I ordered my 2006 Black Amethyst Metallic Nox on July 27th. Production on it won't start until the beginning of Sept. I am trading in a 2004 Malibu. :lemon: I can't wait to see what color I ordered. I am hoping that it is a very dark purple. I'm sure it will look great. Noxon. ;)
  • redsun_tyredsun_ty Member Posts: 6
    Naxon,

How much did you pay for the 06 Nox? What incentives they offered you? Do you know if they made any adjustments to the problems that they were having on the 05 Nox! I'm thinking of getting the 06 Nox too because I think they are better than the others that I saw at least the looks! Just want to get some information first planning to get the Nox during October 05. :)

Redsun_ty
  • noxonnoxon Member Posts: 6
    Redsun_ty, Don't laugh, but I don't know how much I paid for my Equinox. My 2004 Malibu was a lemon and GM is giving me every penny that I paid for my Malibu, plus the $2000. rebate that I received 2 years ago. I had to choose a Chevrolet model. The Equinox appealed to me so I ordered. Being a GM employee, the incentives really did not matter at this time. I wish I had more info, but I don't. I am just trusting that this will be a good vehicle for me. Noxon.
    Naxon, Since you are GM Employee did u receieve any news that they fix the glitches that they had 05 Nox? :)

Redsun_ty
  • waitinfor06ionwaitinfor06ion Member Posts: 32
    Yeah :D Will keep my eyes peeled for your next post. Read somewhere that Canada is now getting a discount program for a month or two.

Good luck and happy hunting :)

J K F
    I'm glad you found a work-around.

I don't expect to use my roof rack any time soon. Raspberry! :P unless a cyclone destroys this apartment building and Blue Boy becomes my home.

J K F
    JFK, In Canada they are doing the employee pricing here for another month until september but I don't know anything about the pricing 06 Nox I just know they will price it cheaper (msrp) than the 05 Nox! How much to lease it over there in the states? anyone knows? What are the terms? :)
  • gaspoor1gaspoor1 Member Posts: 9
    Second tank of gas after trans reprogram went from 16.4 mpg average (every tankfull) before the reprogram to 17.4 and now 18mpg in this tank. This is the best mileage I have ever gotten. Trans shifts much better as you noted, which is a bonus. I can at least live with 18. Have never tried open highway driving, car is used just back and forth to work (24 miles round trip). So I don't know what I would get highway.
  • cm726cm726 Member Posts: 8
    Im having the same problem with my Equinox and its odor issue. Chevy has serviced my car twice, and still no change in the ODOR! So they wanted me to bring it back for a 3rd time and i refused. I contacted the BBB and filed a complaint against GM Chevy. I was contacted a few days later for more specific information and was told she would get in contact with GM Chevy and the service mgr to try and find out more info on this problem and will get back to me in a week or so. I'll keep ya posted on the outcome. There are alot of Equinox SUV's that have this problem and even some lawsuits going around. Thats gonna be my next step if they can resolved this. :mad: Lemon Law can come into effect! :lemon:
    I had the same exact problem, and the Mgr told me the same exact thing, just hope this doesnt happen again or frequently. :surprise:
  • ericb8276ericb8276 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if the Lemon Law is in effect North of the Border? ( That would be Canada :) )
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    Go to Message 465 in this discussion to get TSB number. At the top of this discussion just enter 465 in the GO TO MSG box, or enter ODOR in the Search this discussion box to get list of all posts about ODOR problems.

Your dealer has to replace all the heater and radiator hoses, flush the coolant system following a specific procedure and install new dexcool coolant.

Go to site below get list of recent GM TSB in issue date order. Look for April 19, 2005 in left column. Click on description for TSB 04-06-02-010A. Then click and print each page.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/index-issue.html
  • jimnoxjimnox Member Posts: 2
    My old S10 has pullout extensions for the sun visors which come in quite handy at times. I asked my dealer if the the NOX 05 or 06 had this available as an option and was told they weren't available.

Does anyone know if they are available in the after market? I have some that are held on with straps but they are goofy looking! :shades:
  • noxnonoxno Member Posts: 19
    :mad: My NOX now has 3,000 miles, I purchased it for the fuel mileage, I'm lucky to get 15-18 MPG on the highway. Even though I had plenty of power after a drive through the mountains, I could have gone with a full 8 cylinder and much more horsepower with the same MPG, you don't want to know the fuel consumption after the mountain trip. I'm headed back to the dealer as the driver's side seat rubs very badly against the door handle when moved forward, can only move the seat forward when the door is open, they are very puzzled, seats are going to have to come out. The manual states that the steering wheel locks after turning the ignition off, mine does not , dealer says this is normal as the Equinox does not have a locking steering wheel, even though the manual states it does. Does anyone one out there have a locking steering wheel? Just need to know if I'm getting the same BS from the dealer. Thanks.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    GM has stopped locking all steering wheels, it really served no useful purpose, it was easy to break and cost. :)
    :D Thanks for the compliment (JFK). However, President Kennedy isn't part of my family tree.

There is a published story about Kennedy's money and how Pappa Joe got aholt of it.

Nope. Don't know a thing about leases or `06 pricing. Another will have to pony up info (put up information).

J K F
    RE: locking steering wheel. Thanks, I was wondering how come the `Nox didn't lock.

JKF
    Found one in a mail-order catalog for my old Metro. Yes, it did look goofy. Yes, the strap(s) broke.

J K F
    Thanks for the reply that GM has stopped the locking on all steering wheels, I understand it serves no purpose, one would think GM would have this removed from the manual, as they are stating this is still installed as a theft-deterrent feature. :confuse:
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    GM is notorious for outdated owners manuals, so you know how bad it is one model car engine is listed for a 4 qt oil change when in fact it is 5 qts, the listing is for the older engine. Put little faith in the owners manuals, verify with other sources.
    :)
    Thanks for the information. I read through the pages and they did all of that, and still no good results. So its in the shop now at a different Chevy dealer, so hopefully they will get it right this time, for there sake anyway.
  • worry2muchworry2much Member Posts: 14
    I was traveling in NY (semi-mountainous terrain) but the road had numerous steep inclines and declines...got 26 mpg. Only thing I did not like was the car downshifting on steep declines. I was very surprised and very pleased when I calculated the mpg for that trip. My last tank fill-up with strict city driving short trips was 18.5 mpg.
  • skideeppowskideeppow Member Posts: 2
    I am on the verge of leasing this vehicle, i found a used 05, does anyone know if there will be some special deals on leasing 06's? Should i wait? Are the smell and locking of the trani at 60mph issues solved?
    Thanks for your help
  • shannon7shannon7 Member Posts: 7
    Actually, I looked at buying a 2005 used LT and the leather seats were all scratched from the same thing you are talking about. You could move the seats but it would rub everytime and was starting too look badly. I wonder what the problem is. it seems like the chairs are too big for the area.

Also, I looked at the LS. I decided against it for something so small. Has anyone noticed how scratchy the cloth is on your legs? had I not been wearing shorts I would have never known, but that was enough of a turn off for me. Now I'm forced to look at the LT's if I want leather.
  • lazerblue31649lazerblue31649 Member Posts: 8
    I have the leather seats and I have no problem with them at all. They still look as good as new. May if you laid something on them it would not scratch up so easily. You really have to be careful with leather anyway. Enjoy it. :)
    I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow, they even agree that the seats should not be rubbing that badly against the door. I seen a message from a lady in Houston, where her leather seat had stuck to the door trim in the heat and pulled the trim off, not good. You are right though, the dealer says those seats are just to big for a small area. For the price of a new one I would not buy used, I payed $1,500 under invoice.
    WOW 26 MPG I would be going to noxyes, never had any downshifting on steep inclines. Just not happy with my MPG.
    Anyone unhappy with that black cheap plastic dashboard, went to Kragen Auto Parts and ordered a custom made velour cover, took my floormats in to match the color, and for $25 got a very nice cover. The black dashboard was also putting off a lot of heat. Be careful with any airbag blockage. Detailed my Lady today, looking GOOD, just like a look- a -like Lexus SUV for halve the price! :D
    I can't find the post for the roof rack removal. The resolve anyways. How did he end up getting the roof rack cross beams off?

e.powell01@verizon.net
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Anyone investing in a "GM Protection Plan" extended warranty for their NOX?
    What sort of pricing is being offered for one, two and three years beyond the original 36 month "GM Total Warranty Period"?
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    NOX Owner's Manual says AWD version can't be towed with any of its wheels on the ground but must use car carrier equipment.
    Has anyone had this experience?
    How convenient is it?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I did not purchase GMPP for my 05 Nox. I also have an 04 Malibu Maxx for which I did purchase a 6yr/90k GMPP. I found out on the Malibu discussion group you can get a GMPP from any dealer and the price is negotiable. Many people recommended purchasing online from Blacks Pontiac Cadillac. They sell discounted GMPP over the internet. And the time/mileage begins when you purchase the GMPP, not when you bought the vehicle. If you purchase just before you hit 12mo/12k miles, you pay the same first year price you would have at time of purchase. After 1yr/12k mi and 2 yr/24k mi the price goes up. You can check out their website for price quotes http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

I will probably purchase a GMPP on my Nox from this place before reaching 12mo/12k mi.
  • noxguynoxguy Member Posts: 8
    I haven't tried this yet, but, I read on another forum that at the rear of each roof rail (the part that runs front to back on each side) is a plastic cap painted body colour. Apparently you can gently pry this cap up on each side and slide the rails out the rear. I plan to do this for the winter making it easier to remove the @#%$ snow.
  • fergiefergie Member Posts: 6
    I have posted some messages on here and have read others that people are having the same problems I'm having, not shifting, hard hard downshifts, etc...Well I have a lemon law suit going against GM and the GM rep. is telling me that they have not had any other complaints on this problem. I know they are full of it, If anyone with the same problems will reply and let me know just the state your in so that I can say "You have this problem in this state and this state" blah blah blah
    This has been going on since Jan. about 2 weeks after I bought the car, I hadnt even made my first note when it was in the shop, It is going back in on Thursday for the 7th time, the one good thing is the SERVICE DIRECTOR drove it and he felt it, but when the hook up the machines to dup it doesnt happen. Thanks for anyones help :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :mad:
  • tis1tis1 Member Posts: 2
    FYI - the dealership replaced the 'body control module' about a week ago. so far so good - no recurrance of the problem yet.
    Hi, e.powell. Looks like noxguy, (Aug 22, 2005 6:56 pm), beat me to the punch :D

Also found a poster on another board with a solution similar to what noxguy posted.

Quote: I removed my rack bars. On the rear of the side rails that are bolted to the roof is a plastic cover that is painted the same color as the vehicle. Grab a hold of them firmly and pull straight up. They are held in with plastic tabs.
    The rails will then slide out the rear. Snap the cover back on End Quote.

I've not tried this yet. When the spirit moves me to dust Blue Boy, I'll give it a go.

Chances are that either one way or the other might work. If all else fails try a blend of both possibilities.

Or; do what the other fella did...build a customized work-a-round jig to fit between the `Nox rails and your personal rails.

J K F
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    It's not a problem. I had my Camaro on one and it only cost me $65.
    They just tilt the flatbed, hook chains to frame members, and pull it onto the bed.
    No big deal.
    A lot better than draging your car or SUV behind a tow truck!!
    Repair shops, garages, bodyshop, and towing services have these carriers.

Nox On! :shades:
  • amyschamysch Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Equinox in November 2004 and after about a month I kept smelling a propane smell. After calling the dealership they told me there was no recall or bulletins about smell. I researched it and found there was a service bulletin on the readiator hoses. They had to replace all six hoses and the smell was gone. It was a fight but worth it. At some point I had to role the window down in the dead of winter cause I couldn't breath. Good Luck.
    Just filled up, 15 mpg! I'm trying to take it easy as possible, here in California doing the speed limit creates massive road rage. I'm so pissed, already into this thinking I would get 19-25 mpg. KBB shows the value for trade in close to what I paid, but would lose the taxes and registration paid. My service department has been great, the GM Rep came down yesterday to look at my seats that are rubbing badly against the door, she has extended the warranty on the seats for as long as I own the vehicle. Wish I would have gone with another similar SUV that offers up to ten years warranty, three to five years of maintenance. (Five years bumper to bumper, 10 on the power train) Oh well I paid cash, have to be happy with a good looking SUV, and a awesome sound system my daughter loves! Have driven 3004 miles, used 180 gallons of gas (close to $3 a gallon) Do the math! Oh, 90% highway miles.
  • worry2muchworry2much Member Posts: 14
    Just as soon as I give praise to my Equinox, it shames itself. I have the 6 disc changer. Only had one CD in and went to add another and the player "ate" the one that was in there which happened to be my all time fav CD. Dealer unable to remove it and new one is being ordered. The old one is to be sent to CA for removal. If it is trashed, the CD that is. wonder if Chevy will replace it. I have never had a problem with any CD player that I have had in my previous vehicles. Just to update...last tank fill up - just at 20 mpg city only driving/short trips. But, I am sure tired of it going into the dealer for all these minor issues.
  • ericb8276ericb8276 Member Posts: 7
    Juts heard from my dealer. The new incenstives and rates are to be available as of Sept 6th, 2005. Can't wait as I have been waiting over 2 months to purchase! :)
    I just removed my yesterday. Gently my [non-permissible content removed]!! The back rail caps turned out to be held in place by plastic clips that push into a hole. Pry the hell out of the bacl of it, and it will come out without damage. You just reinset the clips and put in place then push down and the covers are back on. When the covers are out of the way they (the crossbars) slide out the back. Keep an update if you get better gas mileage from doing this. I might be crazy or just over wishful, but I think I might be getting a mile or two per gallon out of doing this. I have every receipt for fillups since I bought this thing last feburary 05. Nice excel spread sheet. : ). If GM ever says or admits they had an issue, I have documentation. :P
    It works. Just pry off the back covers. They hold on tight!! Then the rails slide out. I might be seeing a little better mpg after the removal. Maybe just wishful thinking??? :P
  • gaspoor1gaspoor1 Member Posts: 9
    Well, sigh, mileage from last tank of gas was 16.9, so much for 18. Just got the car out of the shop, they had to replace the blower motor (pinging noise) resurface the rotors (shimmy, and tapping noise) remove and lube calipers (same as rotor problem). Have driven this junker 100 miles since then, and the tapping noise from the front (brakes?) has started all over again. I'm glad I leased this junker, but the down time in the shop is killing me. Oh yeah, car now has 6, 700 miles on it, purchased 11/1/04. Thanks GM for building junk! :lemon: :lemon: :sick:
    Well finally after 2 weeks they solved the ODOR problem, they found a Heater core leaking which was bringing the smell into the vents. They replaced the heater core and deoderized the heater box. Smell has disappeared. Im happy now. :shades:
  • blowtorchblowtorch Member Posts: 3
    My equinox has 1290 miles on it, performs to my satisfaction, BUT, it would not start. Pass lock prevented it. Had 1-800-ChevUSA arrange to tow to dealer. Dealer installed new computer control module. Picked up car and drove to destination of approx 20 miles, stopped at Gas station filled up, car would not start. Pushed to parking area, called dealer, they called tow truck, in meantime, I tried to start it approx 5 times then it started. Cancled tow truck, since then it has run OK but at times the theft detterent light stays on. Anyone else have this problem. Dont want to be in the Sahara Desert and this happens.