Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Natural Gas fueled vehicles

Comments

• Options
    cngusercnguser Member Posts: 59
    WHOA! Thanks for the warning. I was considering moving across the river from Portland OR to Vancouver WA. I may rethink this one.
    Do you know does this premium license renewal sur-charge ONLY apply to CNG only vehicles, or also to Bi-Fuel ones that run on CNG or GAS?
    Also, how much is this fee?
    Does WA offer an initial tax credit on the purchase of a CNG vehicle? Maybe that's part of the equation or mad reasoning...
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "THIS SUR-CHARGE IS INFLICTED BECAUSE SOMEHOW THE STATE THINKS YOU ARE TRYING TO RIP THE STATE OFF ITS POUND OF FLESH, IF YOU FILL YOUR CAR UP AT YOUR HOME."

Would you prefer that the state not maintain the roads? They fund road maintenance from gasoline taxes. Since you don't use gas, they need to get your share of the road maintanence taxes directly. So they put the amount on the license renewal.
  • Options
    bank1avpbank1avp Member Posts: 78
    When you're trying to promote alternative fuel usage this is not how to go about it. I think regardless of our opinion about the taxes we can all agree that alternative fuel usage is good for the environment, economy, foreign dependancy, ect.. Get the taxes from the vehicles that really tear up the roads like semi's and commercial vehicles which by the way pollute the most aswell.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "When you're trying to promote alternative fuel usage this is not how to go about it. I think regardless of our opinion about the taxes we can all agree that alternative fuel usage is good for the environment, economy, foreign dependancy, ect..Get the taxes from the vehicles that really tear up the roads like semi's and commercial vehicles which by the way pollute the most as well."

Regardless of anyones intentions or preferences, the roads must be maintained. They are not trying to encourage or discourage alternate fuel useage; they are trying to maintain the transportation infrastructure that your vehicle uses whenever you drive it. Until the entire system of gathering money to maintain the roads is overhauled, I can't see any other way to keep the road system maintained.

Some states are also thinking of taxing high MPG cars (mostly hybrids) extra to make up for the money being lost because those cars don't use as much fuel. Same principle.

I think that eventually all vehicles will be taxed with the registration, such as is now done in europe. It would be quite fair if everyone was taxed the same way. In Germany they tax based on engine size, which encourages small, economical engines. They also have HUGE gasoline taxes, which is why fuel is so expensive over there.
  • Options
    yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Honda Civic-GX is the only CNG vehicle (among Light Vehicles) sold in US (World's #1 market).
    And it costs a hefty 25,000 K with a range of 200 miles on full tank.

If Honda can make this car a Bi-Fueled with 10 miles on CNG and another 300 miles on Gasolene,
    people can use CNG during the 1st 10 miles of their daily commute and weekend shopping.

At 10 miles / day and even if they drive for 300 days / year, it comes to 3,000 miles in CNG
    which is roughly 20-25 % of the mileage driven.

If a CNG tank for 200 miles costs $ 5,000 then the smaller tank with 10 mile range may cost
    only around $ 500 and that may put this car at an affordable $ 21,000 and also allowing anyone
    to buy it an travel farther without worrying about CNG station. The extra $ 3,000 which is paid
    towards this vehicle (compared to $ 18,000 for regular Civic DX) can be obtained during the
    vehicle's lifetime.

This could popularise CNG vehicles a lot along with Honda. Afterall, there are 5 million +
    CNG powered vehicles in the World and its the next alternative fuel after Ethanol.

http://www.iangv.org/content/view/17/35/
  • Options
    jetboatjohnnyjetboatjohnny Member Posts: 104
    What are you smoking?
    10 miles? are you serious?
    Most people in the Southern California area are lucky they dont have to go more than a few miles out of their way to get fuel, but that means then you are left with maybe 5 miles of fuel, what is the point?
    Also a Civic GX will not run on pump gas, even if you converted it, you would have to run race fuel or Avgas, the compression ratio is 12.5 to 1.
    I agree the cars have a hefty price tag, but you can get smokin deals on a used one.
    If you want a bi-fuel car buy one, I dont want these cars to be popular just so they can spew out hydrocarbons.
    Or do like I do and own 2 cars, one for traveling and recreation, and a NGV for commuting.
  • Options
    Some one previously had a great idea of forming something similar to AAA for NG vehicle owners but I have yet to see anything of it. Since I am in the industry and a consumer and hate CE just like everyone else. I'm going to take this on myself for the time being. I'd like to get a response from those that would be interested. Please reply will an email contact so I can begin gathering data.

1st on the priority list would be to approach CE, PG&E, or Trillium and get better pricing for our members. Hopefully even better pricing for exclusivity rights were a deal would not be signed with any other stations.

As other issues such as Fire Autority fees arise and other problems ... well some said it best... POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

Murphy
    (I can not disclose the company I am with or this posting would get removed)
  • Options
    That would be good to have some pricing leverage via an organization.
    Here would be some other angles to pursue with this:
    1. If the word about CNG vehicles can get out to more people as using the lowest cost & cleanest fuel, more would look at us and potentially come on board.
    2. We need to get auto makers other than Honda to build CNG vehicles again (as they used to for the US market in late 1980's - 2004, and still do today in other countries don't forget) and ADVERTISE them, etc. Big oil would have a heart attack!
    3. Home fueling is one path to least cost. If we could get FuelMaker to run a reduced price special for the higher capacity unit like the FMQ-2-36 packaged with the Honda GX, there might be more interest, sales, and CNG cars on the roads. Then CE, PG&E, Trillium & others might decide to drop their prices to get business...show them if it's cheaper to fuel at home, then they better be more competitively priced or their sales will diminish.
  • Options
    londnrlondnr Member Posts: 55
    Johnny,

On a good day with the wind behind me and a good fill I can get about 320 miles - but it has to be all freeway and without any crazy driving.

I regularly drive from Long Beach to San Diego back to Long Beach, a 250 mile round trip, without re fuelling.

I wouldn't want to count on the 320 miles and would say that a more realistic range with all freeway miles, assuming a good fill, is 275 to 300
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I like my GX, but am used to driving a bigger car. I would not mind paying for the loss in fuel economy if I could get a better range, and I imagine the Ford is probably a bit safer.
    I have noticed that I get a much better fill at most the stations other than my regular one near my home (Hemet RTA). One day in Diamond bar the Pinnacle CNG systems guys were there doing maintenence and my fill pressure went up to 4,000 psi. They said that was normal because it compensates for temperature and other factors.
    Also I have noticed that I get a better fill if my tank has more fuel in it before I fill.
    With the OK fills I have gone 178 miles, 12 of them with the fuel light on. I expect I could go another 30 or more with a better fill.
    For my 143 mile commute it works out fine, but to be safe I alway fill up when I stay in OC for one night, usually adds an extra 40 miles on top of my commute.
  • Options
    This is my third Crown Vic and my second CNG Crown Vic. I wouldn't swap it for the Civic for all the tea in China. I average 19 miles per gallon in the Ford and it is a bigger more comfortable car than the Civic - I have read on the boards that the ride quality in the GX is a little basic, not so in the Ford.

I live about two miles from a So Cal Gas base and I habitually stop by there every day just because I can. I used to use Long Beach but now that it is run by the evil empire I won't go there unless desperate.

Your idea about getting better fills if you top off is sound - I am not a science guy but I understand the basic principle is that fast fueling causes the gas to heat and expand - therefore the more you pump into your tanks the more volume you "lose" due to the expansion. I typically find that if the pump is in good order and I haven't used much fuel I can cram in more gas than I have used since the previous fill - if you can make sense of that. I also love to fill up on cold, wet nights - the lower ambient temperature allows for a better fill, which translates to better range.

If you really want a Crown Vic I would say go for it - even though Ford no longer makes the CNG as an option there is still a company that converts them from brand new - and they qualify under CARB for car pool access, to read more see the posting on the evil empire's website:

http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/articles/03-09-06.html

In the event that the link is not allowed go to CE's website and look under news releases for the article about BAF.
  • Options
    This is my third Crown Vic and my second CNG Crown Vic. I wouldn't swap it for the Civic for all the tea in China. I average 19 miles per gallon in the Ford and it is a bigger more comfortable car than the Civic - I have read on the boards that the ride quality in the GX is a little basic, not so in the Ford.

I live about two miles from a So Cal Gas base and I habitually stop by there every day just because I can. I used to use Long Beach but now that it is run by the evil empire I won't go there unless desperate.

Your idea about getting better fills if you top off is sound - I am not a science guy but I understand the basic principle is that fast fueling causes the gas to heat and expand - therefore the more you pump into your tanks the more volume you "lose" due to the expansion. I typically find that if the pump is in good order and I haven't used much fuel I can cram in more gas than I have used since the previous fill - if you can make sense of that. I also love to fill up on cold, wet nights - the lower ambient temperature allows for a better fill, which translates to better range.

If you really want a Crown Vic I would say go for it - even though Ford no longer makes the CNG as an option there is still a company that converts them from brand new - and they qualify under CARB for car pool access, to read more see the posting on the evil empire's website:

http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/articles/03-09-06.html

In the event that the link is not allowed go to CE's website and look under news releases for the article about BAF.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Remember, posting your personal address in a public forum isn't generally a great idea. If you want to contact another member, e-mail them using memberid@carspace.com. The default is set to forward e-mails send to @carspace.com addresses to the address in your Edmunds.com membership profile... saves you from having to reveal your real address to the world.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Thanks for that, could you delete it then?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Gotcha covered ;)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    musicmannmusicmann Member Posts: 29
    Murphy,

Count me in for a NG vehicle owners association.

One thing that I'd like to see right away is list of all CNG stations and their current prices. This could be posted on the web in a spread sheet showing the station location, price, and date of last update. As NGV owners visit stations and notice a change in price they could e-mail the new price to whomever is hosting the spread sheet.

I think we all agree that it's frustrating to go to a station only to find their price higher than what we could have paid at another station. This frustration can be further compounded if we don't have the fuel or time to then go to the less-expensive station.

I currently don't have the time or resources to host such a spread sheet. Is this something you could do? Or, is there anyone else who would like to volunteer?
  • Options
    I am cautiously optimistic about the possible outcome regarding the Orange County Fire Authority and the discussion of their plan check inspection fee. This topic is item number 10 on the agenda of their Board of Directors meeting scheduled for 6:00 P.M. on Thursday, November 16, 2006 in Irvine.

I anticipate that there will be a representative from American Honda and a representative from Fuelmaker at the meeting. If we really believe in "Power to the People", this would be a good time for us to participate in the public process and express our desire for the Board of Directors to waive this disincentive to CNG vehicles. Each member of the public is allowed three minutes to speak to the Board of Directors. This public input will be taken just prior to the Board discussing it as an agenda item. In order to participate in the public input, you must fill out a form at the meeting indicating your desire to address the Board on this issue. I hope that some of you will be able to attend the meeting.

It's easy for us to express our gripes with each other, but it's more effective if we air our concern in a respectful way in front of those who can actually do something about it.
  • Options
    OK here is how my no-start problem on CNG finally got fixed:
    The no-start eventually deteriorated to never start on CNG, hot or cold. So took it to the FORD dealer here in Portland that has a certified CNG tech on staff - they determined the infamous COMPUVALVE was defective. Here is the part you won't believe: Ford replaced it under an 8 year/80,000 mile (Federal EPA emissions) warranty that covers that device!! NO CHARGE. My car has almost 65,000 miles on it. Now it runs fine again on clean 'n cheap CNG.
    I suggest you take your car to a FORD dealer who can service CNG for checking and leave it overnight so they see it does not start cold. Likely they will find the compuvalve failing. (A FORD Tech Bulletin I got thru Helm, Inc., points directly to that symptom and cause).
    So the guy who spent $980 for a rebuilt one (bank1avp) might want to go back and have a little discussion with the dealer, assuming his car was less than 80K miles...
  • Options
    So what was the verdict at the OCFA Board of Directors meeting Nov 16? Some of us are waiting to hear the other shoe drop since your Nov 11 posting!
  • Options
    The car was a 98 with 118k miles on it. Do yourself a favor though if you plan on keeping the car a while longer. The compuvalve is located directly under the engine exposed to the elements. I no longer sell CNG Contours but the ones I've sold I've recommended building a shield to protect it. I only carry Civics and GX's now. Never had a problem with a used GX and the regulator for a cavalier is only $280 (compuvalve)
  • Options
    Both of my 2000 Contours have factory installed heavy plate metal cover shields over the computvalve, regulator, and filter, etc. I unbolted one shield to examine the components some time ago, and they appeared quite clean and protected there. Granted that does not appear to be a choice location...

If I can find a GM dealer with a CNG tech for the Bi-Fuel Cavalier, I may try for a 2003 at upcoming GSA auctions. My only dislike is the lack of safety/convenience options on those Cavaliers: PW, PDL, PM.
  • Options
    marty2611marty2611 Member Posts: 8
    That is great news. Can you tell me how to get the Helm Tech Bulletin? Thanks again
  • Options
    Sorry that I have taken so long to give an update on how things went at the Board of Directors' Meeting for the Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA) on Thursday, November 16, 2006.

Fuelmaker didn't have a representative available, so they made arrangements for the representative from American Honda to speak on behalf of both American Honda and Fuelmaker. In addition to the representative from American Honda and myself, Brian from Irvine spoke to Board of Directors.

I spoke about the benefits of CNG cars and the home refueling appliance and I mentioned that as a public agency, the OCFA should be encouraging their use rather than charging a fee of $615.00, which is a substantial disincentive. I urged the Board of Directors to waive the plan check and inspection fee for the installation of a home refueling appliance, and also to consider refunding the fee to the three residents who have already paid it.

The representative from American Honda spoke about the safety of CNG vehicles and the need to encourage cleaner air transportation. She mentioned some of the safety features of the Phill appliance and that the manufacturer requires that a certified installer must be used. Also, she made an offer to the Orange County Fire Authority. Honda has on staff a technician who is thoroughly familiar with Phill and its proper installation. This technician trains municipalities and others about refueling devices. If the OCFA would authorize it, Honda would make this technician available to do the inspection of Phill installations within the area served by the OCFA. This technician would do the inspection instead of an OCFA inspector, the Honda technician would file the necessary documentation, Honda would pay his salary, and there would be no cost to the OCFA or the consumer.

Brian from Irvine spoke of his personal experiences with CNG vehicles. He lived in Canada in the late 1980s, drove a CNG vehicle, and refueled it at home with a refueling device made by Fuelmaker (not a Phill, but a different Fuelmaker product). He talked about the convenience and reliability of CNG and that it is not really new technology. Brian currently drives a CNG vehicle, but is satisfied using public stations, and is not interested in purchasing a Phill. Brian told the Board of Directors that installing a Phill is no more complicated that installing a water heater, and that in some ways a Phill is safer than a water heater, because a Phill has a methane detector, and a water heater doesn't. Thank you, Brian for taking the time to come to the meeting and for speaking to the Board of Directors.

A Deputy Fire Marshall had prepared a staff report on the issue of home refueling appliances for the Board of Directors. The staff report mentioned that the OCFA is currently in the process of a Fee Review, and that this is one of the fees being looked at for possible adjustment. The staff report mentioned that recently the fee has been $615.00, and that after the Fee Review is completed, the fee is expected to be between $400.00 and $450.00 dollars. The Fee Review should be complete in March or April, 2007. The staff report recommended that the Board of Directors authorize the staff to charge a flat rate of $145.00 per hour for time and materials until a new fee for this service is approved.

The Orange County Fire Authority is funded differently than many fire agencies. The cities that OCFA services pay for fire protection, but there is no budget for inspections. Thus when the OCFA does an inspection, they directly charge the one who is receiving the inspection. Many cities that have their own fire departments cover these costs within the city budget.

There was quite a bit of discussion amongst the Board of Directors. One Director said that as a public agency, the fee should be waived as a way to encourage use of CNG vehicles. Another Director said that he was not aware of any OCFA fee being waived in the past, and that he was uncomfortable with starting that now. One Director thought that a city building inspector should do this type of inspection and that it was unfair to the public to charge another inspection fee in addition the normal building inspection fee. The Deputy Fire Marshall felt strongly that the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) code directs fire agencies to take responsibility with inspecting this type of installation. There was some interest in the idea of the Honda technician performing the inspections, and there was some talk that the OCFA should do this themselves. Someone mentioned that it might be a good idea to have the installer certify that the installation is done correctly, and someone suggested that if American Honda is willing to send their own technician, that perhaps American Honda would be willing to subsidize OCFA's plan and inspection fee. There seemed to be a strong consensus that $615.00 was too high of a fee.

It is interesting to note that the OCFA's legal counsel had not apparently even looked at this issue. He was completely silent until spoken to directly by one of the Directors.

The Board of Directors voted to direct staff to investigate the possibility of using the Honda technician, direct staff to charge the time and material rate of $145.00 per hour for now, and to hold the item over until the next Board Meeting. One of the Directors also asked the legal counsel to check to see if it is even legal for the OCFA to delegate this inspection responsibility (i.e., can they legally let the Honda technician do the inspections?). The legal counsel responded by saying that he would definitely check into this issue.

I called and talked to the Deputy Fire Marshall this week. He told me that, based on the action of the Board of Directors, the current plan and inspection fee will be three hours at $145.00 per hour, for a total of $435.00. He also said that he has a meeting scheduled to talk with the American Honda representative next week.

I am interested to see what the legal counsel has determined. Also, with all due respect to the staff at OCFA, I would like to know if he interprets the fire agency's responsibility to perform the inspection the same way as the Deputy Fire Marshall does.

So far, I have been unable to find a copy of the 2006 NFPA 52 code, which deals with vehicle refueling. It is not a public document, so it is not online. I can pay $35.00 and buy one, but I'd just like to look at the few pages that deal directly with our specific issues. The public libraries don't seem to carry this item. Perhaps Fuelmaker or Honda could assist me with this.

I must say that everyone on the staff of the OCFA with whom I have dealt has treated me in a very professional manner. They are all courteous and helpful. When I have a concern, I am directed to the right person, and my questions and messages receive a quick and clear response. I cannot say enough good things about my interactions with the st
  • Options
    Looks like I exceeded the maximum size of a post. Here's the rest.

I must say that everyone on the staff of the OCFA with whom I have dealt has treated me in a very professional manner. They are all courteous and helpful. When I have a concern, I am directed to the right person, and my questions and messages receive a quick and clear response. I cannot say enough good things about my interactions with the staff.

The Orange County Fire Authority Board of Directors will take up this matter again at their next meeting, which is scheduled for 6:30 P.M. on Thursday, January 25, 2007 in Irvine.
  • Options
    You should become familiar with www.Helminc.com which markets all US vehicle manufacturer shop manuals, tech bulletins, etc. Poke around to Ford, Contour, and the year, etc. I ordered $150 + of the shop manuals & bulletins, only to find they only tell how to remove/replace CNG components and not diagnose them. (And no wiring diagrams...they must be even more $$). The Tech Bulletins you can select by descriptions relating to CNG, and they have some diagnosis info which indicated the compuvalve no-start problem I had.
    Still, I would not advise attempting to service these CNG components on your own. It should be a certified tech - especially if something may still be under warranty. They can tell you what parts are still covered.
  • Options
    reomcsereomcse Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know a better solution for fixing the leaking filling nozzle on the Cavalier CNG's. Mine has had a slow leak for a while, but I guess this cold weather took its toll, and now my daughter says it leaks bad enough that its not safe, and the gas leaks out overnight. The dealer says $500 for the nozzle dealer price, $600+ retail. There is a place here in SLC UT that will replace it with a conversion for $250, but that still pretty steep to me for a small metal part the size of a roll of quarters.

BTW, filling with NG here in UT is $.74 :P WOO HOO :shades:
  • Options
    reomcsereomcse Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know a better solution for fixing the leaking filling nozzle on the Cavalier CNG's. Mine has had a slow leak for a while, but I guess this cold weather took its toll, and now my daughter says it leaks bad enough that its not safe, and the gas leaks out overnight. The dealer says $500 for the nozzle dealer price, $600+ retail. There is a place here in SLC UT that will replace it with a conversion for $250, but that still pretty steep to me for a small metal part the size of a roll of quarters.

BTW, filling with NG here in UT is $.74 :P WOO HOO :shades:
  • Options
    $250 isn't that bad actually. A P30 or a P36 nozzel from Parker Hanafin(sp) is around $100.
  • Options
    Are there other any Web sites dedicated to us true CNG folks that will post private party used CNG (Bi-Fuel) vehicles for sale besides NGV.ORG?
    I have one in fine condition to sell and do not want to let it go "public" to someone looking for a gasoline only car. (I plan to replace it with a Honda Civic GX).
    Located in Oregon, and do not wish to sell it thru a dealer.
    Since we are not to advertise here, need some leads.
  • Options
    exwazzuexwazzu Member Posts: 1
    As of today, hybrids only in HOV lanes. Watch out, may be coming to your area soon. Article in AZ REPUBLIC today says hybrids limited to 20,000. Then no more. Is a "pilot" program. So now what do I do with my 2001 Chev Cavalier alt-fuel? Does anybody else know if happening in other areas of country? I like CNG but home is not NG and HOV lane access was a biggy...
  • Options
    d_linkd_link Member Posts: 17
    Not so in California. We replaced our old HOV sticker for our 1998 Civic GX and had no problem with replacement. People who have purchased Toyota Prius cars are no longer able to get HOV access stickers. DMV has run out of the authorization. I don't believe that this affects CNG vehicles like the Civic GX. Hybrid stickers are yellow and CNG/EV stickers are silver.

It appears very shortsighted for AZ to dump CNG vehicles from HOV lanes when dedicated CNG is much cleaner than any hybrids on the road today. Good luck in AZ.
  • Options
    lakewood90712lakewood90712 Member Posts: 108
    Check out the feb 9 story on Grenncarcongress.com . The story has a link to the AZ gov. press release. It looks like AZ was forced by the federal gov. on the issue , or loose funding for carpool lane projects. Bifuel vehicles will still get a lic. tax break. I think dedicated cng is not changed.
  • Options
    Insights, Civic Hybrids, and Prius are issued HOV stickers in AZ under the new "PILOT" program. To displace this surge of traffic in the HOV lanes all BI-FUEL vehicles have been kicked out. Hybrid stickers are good for the first 10,000 applicants under the pilot after that who knows. Dedicated is unchanged.

Murphy
  • Options
    If you have a moment to help the Arizona folks out submit a comment directly to the governors office at this link: link title
  • Options
    az5az5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Ford Contour that is a 3000psi system but a Fulmaker that puts out 3600psi. How difficult is it to convert the Contour over to 3600psi or am I better off selling and buying another?
  • Options
    Either sell the car for a 3600 psi car if it hasn't already the Contour will start giving you problems when the miles get into the 100K or get an FM4 which is a 3000 psi model. I have one but I think I already talked to you about it. I might work out a trade with you depending on the hours of your unit and if there was some cash involved. I don't know what it will take monitarily to change it over to a 3600 psi but if anyone here tells you to shave the nozzel, don't do it it was designed to accept 3000 psi for a reason.
  • Options
    You might look for a Chevy Cavalier (Bi-Fuel) for sale on some CNG advocate web sites, or check on line for upcoming GSA auctions where some appear. They have 3600 psi systems. There are also a few sites listing Honda Civic GX's for sale. (I am ordering an '07 this week - nice cars).
    I bet it would cost more than your Ford Contour is worth to get the tank and all the high pressure components changed out and certified to 3600.
  • Options
    ngv123ngv123 Member Posts: 18
    It really does not make any sense to kick out CNG vehicles out of the HOV lane considering they are cleaner burning than hybrids. One item that I am confused about, in the article it states bi-fuel vehicles (vehicles using both gasoline and CNG for example) does that mean 100% CNG vehicles are allowed in the HOV lane in AZ? Not very clear.
  • Options
    The bi-fuel cars are the only ones getting kicked out of AZ HOV lanes.
    Here in CA, bi-fuel cars are not allowed in the HOV lanes.
  • Options
    mastercngmastercng Member Posts: 1
    What is the CNG reset trick? How do you do it? I have the same problem with my contour. I switch to CNG and the green light comes on, then turns off, even though it has a full tank of CNG. It has 82k miles so I can't do that warranty. Any solutions??
  • Options
    At one time the dealer told me to try cycling the ALT/GAS switch 5 times within 10 seconds, with the ignition on but not with the engine running. That seemed to work for a while.
    Later as the no start deteriorated, it would only start on CNG after the engine was well warmed up on gasoline.
    However, eventually it became never start, and the only option was to replace the COMPUVALVE. If you can find a CNG tech equipped dealer they might be able to do a diagnosis and estimate the fix cost, but likely it would cost you a couple of hours labor to tell you that.
    At least you can sell it as a plain old gasoline car, if you choose not to do a CNG fix or just keep it.
    I have a Contour at 68,000 Miles for sale with a fairly new compuvalve ...runs great.
  • Options
    adeaadea Member Posts: 44
    Murphy wrote: "Insights, Civic Hybrids, and Prius are issued HOV stickers in AZ under the new "PILOT" program."

Murphy...they aren't issued "stickers", but they get the blue AF plates, just like our dedicated Hondas or any other dedicated vehicle.
    adea
  • Options
    That's right jetboatjohnny! Someone earlier said the reason was to make room for the hybrids...not so...the reason bifuels got kicked out is that AZ was in violation (for many years!) of the federal law which banned bi-fuels in HOV lanes, and the gov wanted to be in compliance or lose some highway funds...lol.
    adea
  • Options
    Sorry the blue plates with hybrid stickers in the middle of the plate.

Murphy
  • Options
    lakewood90712lakewood90712 Member Posts: 108
    I was at the carson ca Clean Energy station today. One of the dispensers was down and the area was very wet ???? No rain in 6 weeks.

On the news, A Suppershuttle driver was killed at the station from a van cng fuel tank explosion during fueling. ( tank ruptured ,no fire). The shuttle van was rear ended a few weeks ago and just got back from the body shop according to the story.

Might be a good idea to have a good inspection of the tank and fuel system by someone other than a body shop after an accident.

Photo of the damaged van at www.cbs2.com .
  • Options
    I just read about that a few hours ago from another forum. Yeah, I absolutely agree it would be wise to have a cng inspector. I'm also going to install a methane detector on the ceiling of our garage. The cheapest one that I found so far that plugs in is around $60 (www.safehomeproducts.com). Does anyone know of any cheaper ones? Thanks.
    adea
  • Options
    Just wanted to let all of you know that since I park my GX in the garage, I just received my methane/propane detector. It was around $65. I just plugged it in on the ceiling where the garage door opener plugs in with a tri-plug extension (no cord).
    adea
  • Options
    cngazcngaz Member Posts: 10
    A Phill in the garage is a little more money, but it comes with an internal methane detector and a remote methane detector and alarm for the garage ceiling.

check the CSA Website for certified tank inspectors
    CNG Cylinders require recertification anytime the vehicle has been in a collision AND Every 36 Months.

I suspect this detail was overlooked before the van was given back to the customer. But we have not heard for sure. :confuse:
  • Options
    Looking for a source to buy a rear bumper or fender type adhesive backed label, maybe something like
    "THIS VEHICLE POWERED BY CLEAN BURNING NATURAL GAS"
    or "NATURAL GAS POWERED VEHICLE" or similar...
    You may have seen something like it on buses or trucks running on CNG. Somebody makes & sells them somewhere - any clues? [Not looking for the blue CNG diamond - already have that]. Thanks.
  • Options
    I forgot to say that the detector is for those not able to have a Phill, like me. It would cost me $14,000 to run a gas line into my garage, since there isn't any close by. It uses 15w to run.
    adea
This discussion has been closed.