Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    Did you try Prestige?

Also I’d reach out to some of the brokers from leasehackr.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    What an awful business that is! Is there another dealer nearby? Twice when Imade driving appointments back when I was looking the dealers acted like I was a walk-in. So frustrating. The first time I drove the Volt they hadn’t even bothered to charge it so it was in gas mode the whole time. Oddly when I went back a few months later, I had a totally different experience.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    I'd consider another dealer altogether, that's pretty inexcusable. And I cannot stand it when sales people from any walk of life who trash their competitors rather than sell me on why their offering is superior.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,938

Did you try Prestige?

Also I’d reach out to some of the brokers from leasehackr.

They don’t have any Inscriptions under 50k

I thought about it, but I am so close that the $500 fee would almost make it even. I’m only 800-900 from my target.

The broker deals sit at 20% discount. The one I talked to today was a touch better discount but with a bumped MF.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    Try Stadel motors in PA. Near Lancaster.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28, was this at the BMW dealer driving a 440?

• Options
    stickguy said:

28, was this at the BMW dealer driving a 440?

No. This was the TLX. Sorry, I should have clarified.
  • Options
    surprised an Acura dealer was that nasty with someone looking at a sedan.

if you didn't hate the car, worth going to another dealer to get a better look.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @28firefighter - beyond frustrating.

@tjc78 - sounds like you’ll get there at some point on the S60. Exciting!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,568

@ James Monroe, I see how it is you’re at Norred my comment not cool lol

I'm not ignoring you. If you like to push cars fine but I ain't helping you. I don't have enough HP to do that. Maybe it should but MPG has never entered into the decision process when I buy cars.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Nothing with spec I want.

@breld
    Yes, getting close. May call it quits this week and resume next week.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

They can do a dealer trade, assuming plentiful inventory, if they are desperate enough to make a sale.

@28firefighter, that sounds like my experience trying to buy a used G37x from my local Lexus dealer. I posted a horrible review online, which they didn't bother to respond to. I will never darken their door again.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367

Well. The test drive experience was a total dud. Absolutely awful experience.

I made this appointment well in advance in the middle of the week. They confirmed 4 times. On arrival, it was my sales guy’s day off. They gave me to someone else. He was with a customer. So they bounced me to some new guy who was furious the entire time that I was dumped on him. Knew nothing about the car and had no interest in sharing any details. Was only interested in if I was buying today, which I was not.

The test drive loop was all of 1 mile in a perfect square. No mix of roads, no highway. When he asked if he could earn my business, I genuinely said that after a one mile test drive, absolutely not. He said it was all he was authorized to do.

The sales manager came out and asked me what else I was looking at. I told him. He proceeded to trash every one of them and told me I was crazy for considering them. I asked him if he was buying the car for me, or if it was my money.

In hindsight they absolutely judged me as a stroke. I was in jeans and a polo and driving the Viggen. Even though I told them I had an X1 lease ending and was looking at a BMW 440 among other cars.

I’ll share my limited thoughts on the car later. I’m so beyond frustrated.

How unprofessional. When I was working at BMW if someone asked me how BMW compared to a competitor I'd always say that there were no bad cars in that market segment, but each manufacturer emphasized different things, and then I'd go on to say what I thought BMWs did well without trashing other brands.

I also never qualified a customer by the way that they dressed. Some wealthy people deliberately dress down to see how they will be treated. And anyway, why not be gracious to everyone? Even f they can't afford a new or used BMW today they may well be able to in the future.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    did it have the leather seats or the alcantara surface ones?

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    interesting mix of oddballs. you are definitely braver than I am.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Alcantara. Big fan.
  • Options
    I like that last Challenger - the blue one. Sharp’

• Options
    corvette said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

They can do a dealer trade, assuming plentiful inventory, if they are desperate enough to make a sale.

@28firefighter, that sounds like my experience trying to buy a used G37x from my local Lexus dealer. I posted a horrible review online, which they didn't bother to respond to. I will never darken their door again.
    I’m shooting for a 20% off looser deal, no dealer is playing ball with a trade.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019

stickguy said:

Alcantara. Big fan.
    Was this Acura of Seattle or a different place? Since your test drive was so short maybe it's worth it to find a different dealer that'll let you really drive it?

The 4-cylinder TLX probably isn't fast enough for you, but the Acura-built 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with unique torque-converter is a good transmission that has a nice shift quality. You should put it in "Sport" or "Sport+" if you test drive it. Here's Acura's 2-minute promo video on the 4-cylinder engine and 8-speed DCT combo from the introduction of the car c.5 years ago....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=susQPG-a7Wg
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990

I made this appointment well in advance in the middle of the week. They confirmed 4 times. On arrival, it was my sales guy’s day off. They gave me to someone else. He was with a customer. So they bounced me to some new guy who was furious the entire time that I was dumped on him. Knew nothing about the car and had no interest in sharing any details. Was only interested in if I was buying today, which I was not.

The test drive loop was all of 1 mile in a perfect square. No mix of roads, no highway. When he asked if he could earn my business, I genuinely said that after a one mile test drive, absolutely not. He said it was all he was authorized to do.

The sales manager came out and asked me what else I was looking at. I told him. He proceeded to trash every one of them and told me I was crazy for considering them. I asked him if he was buying the car for me, or if it was my money.

In hindsight they absolutely judged me as a stroke. I was in jeans and a polo and driving the Viggen. Even though I told them I had an X1 lease ending and was looking at a BMW 440 among other cars.

How unprofessional. When I was working at BMW if someone asked me how BMW compared to a competitor I'd always say that there were no bad cars in that market segment, but each manufacturer emphasized different things, and then I'd go on to say what I thought BMWs did well without trashing other brands.

I also never qualified a customer by the way that they dressed. Some wealthy people deliberately dress down to see how they will be treated. And anyway, why not be gracious to everyone? Even f they can't afford a new or used BMW today they may well be able to in the future.
    I like your approach. Had I been your customer I would not in anyway been put on the defensive and would have appreciated your insight. I admit to initially being annoyed by pushback when I called, asked for a sales manager and when finally connected, explained I wanted to bring a car home for my wife to drive and return it immediately after. He immediately started to ask questions to financially qualify me before even entertaining my request. I pushed back, explained I had already driven the car, and was a multiple repeat customer. He relented and the rest of my experience was positive. But I just about said forget it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    breld said:

I like that last Challenger - the blue one. Sharp’

+1 on the Blue Challenger

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    I never knew that Acura dumped the ZF automatic transmission in favor of a DCT. That is something I would have thought would have gotten more mention in the media.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    The V6 has the 9 speed ZF. The 4 cylinder has the 8 speed DCT
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @28FF thanks for your impressions on your test drive, hey if you don’t like it onto the next one. What a horrible experience you had with the sales people and staff at that dealer I would’ve gave them the same responses you did. I’ve done that in the past when looking at you stuff they wouldn’t tell me the price so I said stop playing games and get all nasty with them sometimes you have to do that and that’s not me ha ha.
  • Options
    @QB Nice short list you have there.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited August 2019
    @28firefighter .....that’s inexcusable for any dealer of any brand. I don’t blame you for being that upset. I wouldn’t want to do business with that dealer for any reason.

No way you could get a “feel” for any car after only driving it in a 1 mile test.

Shame, because they really are great cars.

In Sport Plus, the trans tries to mimic what a manual would feel like if you were shifting gears. Kinda hokey. I usually stay in Sport, which smooths things out significantly without giving up the performance. The V6 will run...and will pull....hard....it’s very smooth, too.

Again, a brief test drive just won’t do the car justice. I think I’d call the GM of the dealership and let him know how you were treated.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    @TJC good luck, and keep us updated will definitely get what you want to do like this one so much.
  • Options
    @ genie Monroe, oh man to tell me I’m on my own if that’s the way we have to do it sounds good I’ll be over there ha ha Ha.
  • Options
    Do you have a new name this morning see that Genie Monroe Ha ha ha. Enjoy your day man, and everyone else enjoy your day too as well and here will check back near more later.
  • Options
    Our dog is not in the TLX unless the seat cover is in place. Did that once and will never do it again.
  • Options
    I had the seat cover on. But his hair can infiltrate Fort Knox I think. At least on the black seats and carpet, it’s easy to find!

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have a lab mix. That’s why I like leather seats. We also had one “dog free” car but recently have had to relax that rule. Even with a ramp she can no longer get into the Encore.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options

@28firefighter .....that’s inexcusable for any dealer of any brand. I don’t blame you for being that upset. I wouldn’t want to do business with that dealer for any reason.

No way you could get a “feel” for any car after only driving it in a 1 mile test.

Shame, because they really are great cars.

In Sport Plus, the trans tries to mimic what a manual would feel like if you were shifting gears. Kinda hokey. I usually stay in Sport, which smooths things out significantly without giving up the performance. The V6 will run...and will pull....hard....it’s very smooth, too.

Again, a brief test drive just won’t do the car justice. I think I’d call the GM of the dealership and let him know how you were treated.

Your point is taken. I should have known better than to go to this place - I have a friend who is an Acura fanatic and warned me they were a mess. He still goes there, but complains every time. Said he has written to the GM before and they made no effort to make things right.

The issue is, the next closest Acura dealers are going to be an hour + away with traffic. I don't mind that when I'm ready to buy, but for a test drive its a schlep. Plus, since I'd have to service at this dealer, I'm not particularly excited about needing to give them any business.

I have no doubt that it is a great car and with a longer test drive I could probably be sold on it - but the dealer has really soured the experience.
  • Options

@ genie Monroe, oh man to tell me I’m on my own if that’s the way we have to do it sounds good I’ll be over there ha ha Ha.

Yeah, we're going to have to talk about that. Over the years you've called me more names than Mrs. j has. :@

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Fly to Pittsburgh and you can drive mine from the airport to Oakland for some O fries and a stop in the bookstore. You get highway, city, and gridlock all in one test drive :p
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

Fly to Pittsburgh and you can drive mine from the airport to Oakland for some O fries and a stop in the bookstore. You get highway, city, and gridlock all in one test drive :p

Talk about things that will mess up the alcantara. O Fries is definitely one of them.

I badly need a trip back to Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    One good thing about the TLX. Assuming you don’t put a lot of miles on it, service is 1x a year, through the express oil change lane!

• Options
    I have some time scheduled to go drive an Accord 2.0T 6spd this afternoon. They have one in stock that just came in, so a sales rep I know reached out and strongly suggested I come take it for a spin.

Who can resist? Besides, the dealer experience could not possibly be any worse.
  • Options
    Mine was in for service this morning. State inspection, synthetic oil change, tire rotation, and a rear differential fluid change for $210.

I also have 6 32nds left on the tires so it's likely I'll have to do something before next September. I'm thinking of getting a used set now and remounting the original tires near less turn in.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606

Well that sucks. I'll assume Acura Lynnwood.

If only you could buy a car directly from a manufacturer...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    with the rain, traffic and hills in Seattle, I imagine stick shifts are pretty rare to have in stock.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

Mine was in for service this morning. State inspection, synthetic oil change, tire rotation, and a rear differential fluid change for $210.

I also have 6 32nds left on the tires so it's likely I'll have to do something before next September. I'm thinking of getting a used set now and remounting the original tires near less turn in.

I have some fluids due next service (60K, even though I might only be at about 57-58, so could push it) for the RDX. I think rear diff and transmission. I did center diff last time I think. Darned AWD costs more to maintain. I am pretty sure if I had gotten FWD I would not have really noticed the difference.

For the tires, unless the used ones are better quality, why bother? Use up what you got. If it doesn't pass turn in inspection next year, get the used tires then.

• Options

I have some time scheduled to go drive an Accord 2.0T 6spd this afternoon. They have one in stock that just came in, so a sales rep I know reached out and strongly suggested I come take it for a spin.

Who can resist? Besides, the dealer experience could not possibly be any worse.

Oooh! Can't wait for your impressions. That Accord has been on my mind ever since they came out.

• Options

pensfan83 said:

Talk about things that will mess up the alcantara. O Fries is definitely one of them.

Ah man, don't tell me you eat in your car. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguy said:

with the rain, traffic and hills in Seattle, I imagine stick shifts are pretty rare to have in stock.

My experience with the Accord 1.5 or 2.0 manuals are that they are rare because they're lower production volume in general. Most of the Jetta GLIs up this way are manual, actually - way more than I would have expected.

Most of my driving is against and across traffic during the week (since S only goes to school 10-15 minutes away from here) and we have the Subaru for our longer family jaunts on the weekend.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    jmonroe1 said:

pensfan83 said:

Ah man, don't tell me you eat in your car. :'(

jmonroe
    I do not - no eating or drinking. But I have learned to make an exception for Sam - but you better believe there is a seat cover and it gets vacuumed out regularly.

But, I seem to recall O Fry grease has a pretty strong staying power on your hands after you finish eating...
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    tifighter said:

....If only you could buy a car directly from a manufacturer...

Like a Tesla? ++

Hey ti, you've probably already posted this somewhere, but how do you like your Model 3? I've been thinking about those cars more lately. They seem pretty impressive.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)