Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    @tjc78 - what's the buyout on your Elantra when the lease is up?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited August 2019

Made an appointment to go drive a TLX V6 AWD A-Spec on Wednesday. At the pace I'm able to find time to test drive, I should have all my potential cars driven by March (2 months after my lease is up).

Part of what appeals to me about the TLX is that I really like the linear power delivery of the H6 in the Outback and I think I'll appreciate that in the TLX, even if it is not the fastest car in the segment.

Make sure you “get on it”. It’s a sweetheart of a motor that LOVES to rev....probably one of the smoothest engines I’ve experienced. You’ll feel a “kick” right around 3.5K-4K RPMs as the VTEC does its thing.

Give it some “go” coming through turns and you’ll feel the SH AWD do what it does.

Love to hear your impressions.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    If you find the right unit I think the loaner option is the best bet. Unless you want to LH it! There’s a dealer over in PA (out toward Lancaster I think) that I believe sometimes has killer prices.

I’m surprised about your experience. Usually all their salespeople are very experienced, and most have been there a long time. I was friendly with the owner at one point but I think she might have retired from active duty.

And crazy thought, but for leasing, maybe you could get a comparable deal on an S90, factoring in incentives?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    nyccarguy said:

@tjc78 - what's the buyout on your Elantra when the lease is up?

$13,500.... probably buried by a few thousand. It's only 2 payments left @ $210 so I'll just deal with it separately if I strike a deal soon.

I want to nail something down by mid-sept. October is a really crazy month for us with my daughter's birthday, anniversary and family birthdays so don't want to leave it until the end.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @stickguy
    Yes, I was pretty surprised. Everyone was nice and I just noticed I had a VM on my home phone from a different person so they are probably trying to move a unit. The salesperson was just too new I think.

The S90 doesn't have the incentives / program right now the 60 does.

Maybe I'll call them later just to see what they are offering....

I like being in a position having the time. I really want the additional discount of a loaner, but the one Inscription they had was a black interior. I really prefer a lighter color.

• Options
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559

Made an appointment to go drive a TLX V6 AWD A-Spec on Wednesday. At the pace I'm able to find time to test drive, I should have all my potential cars driven by March (2 months after my lease is up).

Part of what appeals to me about the TLX is that I really like the linear power delivery of the H6 in the Outback and I think I'll appreciate that in the TLX, even if it is not the fastest car in the segment.

Make sure you “get on it”. It’s a sweetheart of a motor that LOVES to rev....probably one of the smoothest engines I’ve experienced. You’ll feel a “kick” right around 3.5K-4K RPMs as the VTEC does its thing.

Give it some “go” coming through turns and you’ll feel the SH AWD do what it does.

Love to hear your impressions.
    Oh yes. Toss the car into a corner, hit the gas, and let the AWD figure it out. I usually end up backing off before the car loses grip.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    That’s nice. Agreed needs lighter interior. And I would much rather not have the 19s.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Volvo dealer must have Googled my phone number and somehow work email address, I didn't provide either.

At any rate....They want to make a deal today OK.

So I gave some parameters and am letting them do their thing. I'm curious as to what they come back with.

Told her to quote the Red/Black demo and a new Inscription T6 in White, Black or Red with a light interior that they want to move

I'm certainly not jumping into anything, but this is the car I want.

To be continued

• Options
    At least I have the LH deals to compare it to.

They have 46 new 2019 S60s...I'm sure they want to move some.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited August 2019
    tjc78 said:
    Nice car, but I agree with you and @stickguy about it’s black interior. It’s amusing that under “Inscription features” is Glovebox, Tailored Dashboard and Upholstery Color Matching Leather Key Fob.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    I would strongly urge you to try and for a T6. You'll appreciate the extra power.

I heard the R-Design was leasing well, too. You're also in the right part of the country to make a deal on Volvo. Only bummer is you missed the $3000 costco offer back in June.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    tjc78 said:

At least I have the LH deals to compare it to.

They have 46 new 2019 S60s...I'm sure they want to move some.

Probably 44 of them with black interiors. :(

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @tjc78 - good luck with the S60 transaction!

So what were some of the strong selling points for you on the Volvo versus other choices?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

I can’t think of any naturally aspirated 6s still in production besides Acura’s V6. The VQ lives on in the QX60.

The GM 3.6 is NA and in a lot of vehicles. 336HP in my ATS makes it move out quite smartly.
    I have the 3.6L 310 HP version in the 2018 Lacrosse and it is a gem. Smooth, plenty of power and on a recent highway trip had 41 MPG best 25 mile reading with AC on traveling 70-75MPH...and on 87 octane.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I just left some very strong feedback with BMWNA. Received a letter today on the X1 offering a "pull ahead." Problem is our X1, along with many others, are subject to this B-Pillar safety recall.

So, I asked the dealer how they were able to sell X1 if parts were unavailable and they deflected, but it sounds (to me) like BMW is fixing cars on the lot before issuing a remedy for customer cars. My only option if I wanted to avail myself of this offer would be to pay the remaining payments and return the car.

Seems like a not great message that you have a safety recall in place and are fixing the sale cars first, to move them. I'm sure there is more nuance to it, but on its face it looks non-ideal.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    No punch gentlemen.

Because I have time and the dealer kind of stalked me out I made a super aggressive offer they politely declined.

$49145 MSRP they offered 16% off yielding a $475 36/10 with $1300 OOP

I countered with an ambitious 20% discount which would have yielded a $425 payment with $1300 OOP

I didn’t think they would take it so the hunt continues. No worries I have two + months

@breld.
    I really like the looks both inside and out and it’s just a comfy cruiser that handles well and is fairly quick

• Options
    maybe they come back. seems fair at a "split the difference and meet in the middle" deal.

Heck of an upgrade over a base engine Elantra!

you should take a look at the TLX too. I bet you would like that too. Just make sure it has tech package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

I can’t think of any naturally aspirated 6s still in production besides Acura’s V6. The VQ lives on in the QX60.

The GM 3.6 is NA and in a lot of vehicles. 336HP in my ATS makes it move out quite smartly.
    I have the 3.6L 310 HP version in the 2018 Lacrosse and it is a gem. Smooth, plenty of power and on a recent highway trip had 41 MPG best 25 mile reading with AC on traveling 70-75MPH...and on 87 octane.
    Impressive. My Infiniti could only average 41 mpg if I were driving next to a Prius and we averaged our MPG together.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Yeah, but at least it's naturally aspirated -- and not listed earlier on those that are.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    nyccarguy said:

greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Impressive. My Infiniti could only average 41 mpg if I were driving next to a Prius and we averaged our MPG together.
    Or, if the Prius was pushing you...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    I noticed the Volvo had the upgraded audio, nice. A couple of days ago I was curious and looked up the Bang & Olufsen company to find out more about them. Little did I know Harman was gobbled up by Samsung. Samsung now owns many recognized audio names like Harman, Levinson, B&O, and many others. Not sure that is a good thing.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    edited August 2019
    In the early 2000s, my parents needed a new audio receiver for their home theater, and, at my recommendation, bought a Harmon Kardon. Shortly after the warranty was up, it began randomly locking up and had to have the power cable unplugged in order to reset it. They were extremely patient with it and seemed content to put up with it. I, however, was not, and even though I only experienced the problem once or twice a month when I visited, got them a new Sony receiver for a birthday / Father's Day / Mother's Day (not sure which).

I have a compact Yamaha receiver with separate speakers/subwoofer and it's been fine for several years. I'd probably just get a soundbar and ditch the speakers if I needed to replace it.
  • Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @&@TJC oh man, I was hoping to hear a story I got your new ride or you love so much hang in there, you never know they might call you back tomorrow, or the next couple of days you’ll get the car that you want, any other potential prospects they like. day
  • Options
    @ 28 firefighter, I can’t wait to hear what you think of the Acura going to test drive tomorrow Wednesday.
  • Options
    @ stick guy, glad you’re getting the wife closer and closer to getting a new ride for herself.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Next week I'll be in northern KY for a meeting. I may leave early and look at a 2019 370Z NISMO; it's a Nissan corporate vehicle. My wife really likes it but it's an automatic, which I think just doesn't suit a Z Car. Plus, I suspect it can't match a ZF 8HP. Oh well, can't hurt to look. I keep hoping an aggressively priced CPO M2 will turn up, but that's an extreme long shot.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    sda said:

I noticed the Volvo had the upgraded audio, nice. A couple of days ago I was curious and looked up the Bang & Olufsen company to find out more about them. Little did I know Harman was gobbled up by Samsung. Samsung now owns many recognized audio names like Harman, Levinson, B&O, and many others. Not sure that is a good thing.

Hmm, I did not know this. Those are some pretty impressive brand names. Depending on how far Samsung has infiltrated their design, manufacturing and R&D, it may or may not be a bad thing. But my experience with Samsung products has not been stellar. Of course, I have had even more problems with Sony products, so who knows...

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    tjc78 said:

No punch gentlemen.

Because I have time and the dealer kind of stalked me out I made a super aggressive offer they politely declined.

$49145 MSRP they offered 16% off yielding a $475 36/10 with $1300 OOP

I countered with an ambitious 20% discount which would have yielded a $425 payment with $1300 OOP

I didn’t think they would take it so the hunt continues. No worries I have two + months

@breld.
    I really like the looks both inside and out and it’s just a comfy cruiser that handles well and is fairly quick

I'm sure you haven't heard the last of them. You're realistically not that far apart, its getting late in the model year and late in the month.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    edited August 2019
    We will see. I’m honestly not worried.

For kicks I also reached out to a broker on LH to see if his deal is worth the fee

I usually wait too long and don’t have the luxury of time. It’s nice not to be rush. I’ve really researched the heck out of the cars in this class.

I’d certainly take the Q40 at the right price but the Volvo is what I like the best. I know everyone is saying TLX. It’s a nice machine. I drove my buddies, but it’s not screaming buy me.

If only I had a crystal ball to see what the Sept programs are. If I don’t pull the trigger by 8/30 it may be worth a shot to get a Costco membership if they bring that back for Sept.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    A basic Costco membership is $60. If they bring back that program, you can't beat the ROI.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    I thought you needed the membership for some period of time first? Like before the program gets announced?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Pretty sure as long as you have it the previous month it is good

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Edit. I think it’s two months based on some research. So for Sept it would need to be 7/31

• Options
    tjc78 said:

If I don’t pull the trigger by 8/30 it may be worth a shot to get a Costco membership if they bring that back for Sept.

Even if not you can't beat the deals on boxcar-sized packages of toilet paper!! :laughing:

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I don’t think so. We had just got our Costco membership when we leased the Volt. What a great program!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

If I don’t pull the trigger by 8/30 it may be worth a shot to get a Costco membership if they bring that back for Sept.

Even if not you can't beat the deals on boxcar-sized packages of toilet paper!! :laughing:
    LOL, we already have BJ's membership. Nearest Costco is just too far.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,568
    nyccarguy said:

greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

I've said this before but since we're talking gas mileage again, neither my '15 Genny V8 or Mrs. j's new Legacy with the H6 engine could get 41MPG if they were being towed...down hill...with the wind.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Same here. Though my wife now works just down the road from it, not convenient for our regular use.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Wow, pretty impressive. I didn’t get anything even close with my little Buick Encore.

• Options
    @ Jay Monroe, in the future me and you have to just push the cars then Ha ha ha you been causing good trouble just like me, I know you haven’t been behaving.
  • Options
    @TJC if the Volvo is the car you really like really pursued that one then.
  • Options
    Sounds good, yes we are away next week why not go and give 2019 370 Z a look, even though you’re not crazy about an automatic one looking so much fun.
  • Options
    greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Wow, my 2012 LaCrosse with the 3.6 wouldn’t break 30 ever.

My 2015 and now 2017 Enclaves with the 3.6 I would jump for joy at 25

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,568
    tjc78 said:

greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Wow, my 2012 LaCrosse with the 3.6 wouldn’t break 30 ever.

My 2015 and now 2017 Enclaves with the 3.6 I would jump for joy at 25
    Maybe he meant 14. :o

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    @ James Monroe, I see how it is you’re at Norred my comment not cool lol
  • Options
    Everyone just busting chops don’t mean any harm at all he knows that. I could just be sarcastic when I get along with somebody and they know that I’m joking. Lotta times comes across to people being nasty further from the truth ha ha. I always get myself into trouble like that on Facebook ha ha Ha
  • Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    carnaught said:

greg128 said:

ab348 said:

nyccarguy said:

Wow, pretty impressive. I didn’t get anything even close with my little Buick Encore.

That figure is according to the onboard trip computer...it might not be accurate, In thew computer memory the best 25 mile MPG reading was 43 ( I bought it used). It is probably off but the cart does seem to get really great mileage even around town. The 3.6L LGX motor has stop-start and cylinder deactivation. I will be going on a trip at the end of the month and will compute the actual MPG. If it is getting anywhere near that reading I would still be very happy. Overall very impressed with the Lacrosse. It took me a week after getting it to ensure that all features on the car actually work. I had to do research to find that it does not have front parking sensors...only rear. They are not standard even on the premium model and only availble with the driver confidence package 2 along with auto parking and adaptive cruise, which I found hard to believe as our previous Malibu premier had front sensors.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Well. The test drive experience was a total dud. Absolutely awful experience.

I made this appointment well in advance in the middle of the week. They confirmed 4 times. On arrival, it was my sales guy’s day off. They gave me to someone else. He was with a customer. So they bounced me to some new guy who was furious the entire time that I was dumped on him. Knew nothing about the car and had no interest in sharing any details. Was only interested in if I was buying today, which I was not.

The test drive loop was all of 1 mile in a perfect square. No mix of roads, no highway. When he asked if he could earn my business, I genuinely said that after a one mile test drive, absolutely not. He said it was all he was authorized to do.

The sales manager came out and asked me what else I was looking at. I told him. He proceeded to trash every one of them and told me I was crazy for considering them. I asked him if he was buying the car for me, or if it was my money.

In hindsight they absolutely judged me as a stroke. I was in jeans and a polo and driving the Viggen. Even though I told them I had an X1 lease ending and was looking at a BMW 440 among other cars.

I’ll share my limited thoughts on the car later. I’m so beyond frustrated.
  • Options
    That really stinks @28firefighter. An experience like that can really sour you on the brand.

In reality not too much different than my Volvo experience the other night.

For those of you following the Volvo quest.

I emailed some larger dealers in North Jersey. I can not get a dealer to get me to the 20% discount I need to hit 440-450 with just first payment OOP.

Best I can do right now is at a dealer that has 80 2019 S60s in stock.

MSRP 49,990 - $475 with $475 OOP 36/10. Since I’ve been crunching the numbers like crazy at this point I didn’t get a worksheet but the selling price is $40,700 or 18.6%. Buy rate MF and 57%.

Thoughts?