Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,679
    on the Maverick I saw a couple of videos where the reviewers said they had plenty of room. But YMMV.

for the orders, dealers have to set that when you do the reservation. There are plenty taking orders at MSRP, no ADM. a few even discounting from reports.

just find a dealer that is doing orders at MSRP and refundable deposits. worst case, your truck comes in, you go look at it and test drive, and if you hate it just say no. They will throw it our on their lot and sell it quickly.

from looking at the equipment, seems like a slam dunk to at least get the XLT unless you just want cheap for cheaps sake. And the Luxury package seems like a great deal and IMO pretty much the minimum required spec.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2021
    As we know, the selection is getting thin at almost all dealerships across the country. One of my local Honda dealers has a few of each vehicle, but three or four months ago they had more than 60 CR-Vs, more than 50 Odysseys, about the same number of Pilots, etc. And now....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    xwesx
    "...the funeral in Anchorage"
    Catching up here - so sorry for your loss.
    And this sort of aggravation on top...
    - Ray

2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,407
    edited July 2021

The Jeep dealers near me have very few Grand Cherokees, Gladiators, and Wranglers- the only Jeeps I'd consider...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,289

@roadburner said:
    The Jeep dealers near me have very few Grand Cherokees, Gladiators, and Wranglers- the only Jeeps I'd consider...

You could order from Gupton. Nashville isn’t that far??

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,290

I was super impressed with the driving experience of the loaded up Cherokee I had as a rental in Utah. It was the 3.2 liter "mini Pentastar" V6. I thought it was a little down on power, but part of that may have been the altitude. Also, I'm sure the new 2.0T is a bit quicker. It's smaller than I would prefer, but it may still end up on the short list for when the Tundra lease is up.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

from looking at the equipment, seems like a slam dunk to at least get the XLT unless you just want cheap for cheaps sake. And the Luxury package seems like a great deal and IMO pretty much the minimum required spec.

I built an XLT and it came to $29k and change for the 2.0T AWD. I selected the 4k tow package (they say it provides an upgraded drive ratio, which I assume will make it quicker), Ford CoPilot 360, and a spray in bed liner. The Luxury package offers a nice level of equipment, but there are a lot of things included in the $2,000 that don't add much value for me. I'd probably want to add a cellular remote start system.

Is a compact spare standard, or is it a question of paying for a full size spare, or having none?

One thing I don't get about Ford: The Pro Trailer Backup Assist is their "killer app" on the full size trucks. Why not offer it on their other trucks and SUVs? The smaller ones are more likely to be towing shorter trailers, which are generally more difficult to back up.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    edited July 2021

I’m really hoping to talk my wife into a Grand Cherokee 4xE when it comes out. Should time nicely with the end of her Outback lease. Yes, I’m that impressed with the Wrangler (and so is she).

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611
    Belated condolences to @xwesx - hope you are doing well.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    This car is pretty darn similar to mine. I paid $18K for it last year for a 2011 with 24K miles, now 27K.

Now I have to get an updated buy number.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,222
    Rent a van and sleep in it :)

xwesx said:

fintail said:

First two gens don't, I think.

Uncle also wanted a timing chain vs timing belt, surprisingly (to me), the car is a timing chain engine.

Funny to me that a 70 year old guy who has driven only American cars for nearly the past 40 years made such a choice, but I am sure the car will be fine. Also fun that a 9 year old small car sold for probably 2/3 of its original MSRP, but 10K is the new 7K at least.

Well, considering the pricing on everything these days, you're likely correct there.

In trying to get things set up for the funeral in Anchorage, I was looking at both hotels and rental cars. Hotels are demanding ~300 per night, and rental cars are even higher (daily -- if you can even find one!). It's completely nuts.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    edited July 2021

@tifighter said:
    This car is pretty darn similar to mine. I paid $18K for it last year for a 2011 with 24K miles, now 27K.

Isn’t yours a 35i? I still have someone who may be interested…

To be clear: not me.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Good to know. Ages ago my brother had an early 90s Accord, it became a Subaru in short order, via that issue.
    corvette said:

fintail said:

Uncle also wanted a timing chain vs timing belt, surprisingly (to me), the car is a timing chain engine.

All of Honda's four bangers have had a timing chain for quite some time. I want to say early 2000s, at the latest. They still use a belt on the V6.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,468

@28firefighter said:

@tifighter said:

A “friend?”

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    tifighter said:

Belated condolences to @xwesx - hope you are doing well.

Yes, I am doing fine.

Thanks for all the condolences; I really wasn't trying to mooch sympathy off you guys. I was driving down memory lane for a while on Saturday evening and I thought I would share some of the car-related stuff. My family often thinks there's something broken in me, but I don't get all weepy and grief-stricken when deaths like this occur (tragic deaths might be different, but not natural stuff like aging). I do my best to enjoy the time I get to spend with folks, and I choose to take fond memories forward with me rather than dwell on what is lost.

At this point, we are moving heavily into sorting through things, finding out what bills are out there and dealing with that, arranging the funeral, etc., so there's little time to dwell anyway!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    fintail said:

Rent a van and sleep in it :)

Oh, if only I could find one! And, this is mostly for family members rather than me. Shoot, I have all of our basic camping stuff already loaded on the Q7 (just waiting, someday, for the drive out to Ohio), so I could just find me a homeless camp somewhere in Anchorage and join the fray for a few days. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options

@tifighter said:

Mine is a 30i. Last year of the N52.

• Options
    the white whale rental Transit van would have been great for camping. I could stand upright without banging my head, and plenty of length for blow up mattresses.

On the Maverick, spare tire seemed to cause confusion. I think every version gets one, just some trim/engine/drivetrain combos get full sized and others get compact spare, but certain packages (like Copilot 360) also add the full sized spare (if that model did not already have one). Would be nice I guess to have a FS wheel, but as long as it has a donut I am OK with it.

• Options
    I think my wife has been around me too long. we were out earlier and I mentioned something along the lines of it being easier to pick something if I knew what our actual moving plans were (seemed logical to me!) Her response was "just get something, and if you decide later you need something different just deal with it then" Radical thinking there.

• Options

The Honda V6 is a great motor. Our local Honda dealer will do timing belt, water pump and coolant change for $750 and you are good for another 105k miles. Now keep in mind, I renewed all that on a MDX and traded it for a tdi Passat, so there is that :)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,207
    corvette said:

I was super impressed with the driving experience of the loaded up Cherokee I had as a rental in Utah. It was the 3.2 liter "mini Pentastar" V6. I thought it was a little down on power, but part of that may have been the altitude. Also, I'm sure the new 2.0T is a bit quicker. It's smaller than I would prefer, but it may still end up on the short list for when the Tundra lease is up.
    I test drove a Cherokee Trailhawk a year or two back, and was mightily impressed. It, too had the 3.2 V6 and I found it more than adequate, even at altitude. The ride was nice for being the "off-roady" version. Something I could live with, if not for the supposed reliability issues.

Since I have the day off (and the girls were at the studio for another week of camp), I thought I'd call up my buddy @breld and meet up for lunch and a quick lot walk.

I found a blue over oyster 2018 320i (I know, many of you would call me a poseur for even entertaining it), with 32,000 miles on it for $25K. Pretty well loaded - blind spot, active cruise, heated steering wheel.

Turns out the dealer was closed today, so I didn't get to drive it. Maybe another day later this week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

@mjfloyd1 said:
    The Honda V6 is a great motor. Our local Honda dealer will do timing belt, water pump and coolant change for $750 and you are good for another 105k miles. Now keep in mind, I renewed all that on a MDX and traded it for a tdi Passat, so there is that :)

That’s cheap! I’ve bought about $500+ in parts alone for my Prelude. Unless the service is much less labor intensive in the V6 Pilot/MDX.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    I am proving to be just the opposite of many of you fellows here. Bear with me for a minute to let me tell a story...

My health has been a challenge for a number of years with multiple problems that have not gotten any better. One result of all that is that I have used my '68 Cutlass less and less each year. Last year I had to make an effort in early fall to drive it enough just to use up the last of the fuel I filled it with a year earlier. The health issues make it challenging on many levels, from simply enjoying taking it for a drive (since I would now be unable to do anything other than phone for help if something happened), to updating and improving it, to even just keeping it clean.

Three or four years ago I had a solid unsolicited cash offer for it and turned it down, a mistake in retrospect. Over the winter my health got worse and I decided this was going to be the time to pursue a sale. I recently sat down and wrote an ad, and compiled a bunch of existing pictures. Yet I cannot pull the trigger on placing the ad. I don't know why that is exactly, part of it being just the whole process of selling anything like that and dealing with all of the messages, etc; part of it being the likely lowball offers it would attract in this local market, with people picking it apart and looking for flaws, and a big part being simply making the decision to part with it after 28 years of it being a part of my life. I'm also grappling with how much to ask for it since I truly have no idea what these go for. It would be easier if it was a 4-4-2 since there is a robust trade in those online, but 350 Cutlasses with column shift automatics are all over the map price-wise.

It's just hard to accept. I had no idea I was so attached to it and that it would be this difficult.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@nyccarguy said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

That’s cheap! I’ve bought about $500+ in parts alone for my Prelude. Unless the service is much less labor intensive in the V6 Pilot/MDX.

It’s quite easy. I ended up buying OEM parts and doing it with a friend for about $300

• Options

@ab348 - my heart sank as I read your post. I know you’ve been going through a lot with your health, but this must be truly heart wrenching. It’s not going to be easy, but place the ad. You’ll have to deal with all of the low ballers, dirt bags, & people who come to measure your car’s paint thickness and body panel gaps to see if they meet factory specs. If you aren’t comfortable with someone’s offer you can always just say no. Best of luck to you.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,397

I’m really hoping to talk my wife into a Grand Cherokee 4xE when it comes out. Should time nicely with the end of her Outback lease. Yes, I’m that impressed with the Wrangler (and so is she).

I’m waiting not so patiently on mine. No updates since the VIN was assigned of course. First car in a while that all 3 of us are looking forward to.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    edited July 2021

@ab348 - change is difficult.

I’d write the ad and just not respond to low ballers. I’ve had a few cars for 10 years and struggled to get rid of them but it looks like it is time to pass it forward to someone who will use it and enjoy it just like you were able to do prior to your illness.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,207
    @ab348 - could you sell it to a buyer in the US? If you can, place an ad with Hemmings or a similar outlet that focuses on enthusiasts. Figure out shipping costs and build that into the price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    edited July 2021
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="ab348">I am proving to be just the opposite of many of you fellows here. Bear with me for a minute to let me tell a story...

My health has been a challenge for a number of years with multiple problems that have not gotten any better. One result of all that is that I have used my '68 Cutlass less and less each year. Last year I had to make an effort in early fall to drive it enough just to use up the last of the fuel I filled it with a year earlier. The health issues make it challenging on many levels, from simply enjoying taking it for a drive (since I would now be unable to do anything other than phone for help if something happened), to updating and improving it, to even just keeping it clean.

Three or four years ago I had a solid unsolicited cash offer for it and turned it down, a mistake in retrospect. Over the winter my health got worse and I decided this was going to be the time to pursue a sale. I recently sat down and wrote an ad, and compiled a bunch of existing pictures. Yet I cannot pull the trigger on placing the ad. I don't know why that is exactly, part of it being just the whole process of selling anything like that and dealing with all of the messages, etc; part of it being the likely lowball offers it would attract in this local market, with people picking it apart and looking for flaws, and a big part being simply making the decision to part with it after 28 years of it being a part of my life. I'm also grappling with how much to ask for it since I truly have no idea what these go for. It would be easier if it was a 4-4-2 since there is a robust trade in those online, but 350 Cutlasses with column shift automatics are all over the map price-wise.

It's just hard to accept. I had no idea I was so attached to it and that it would be this difficult.

I feel for you. That is such a nice Cutlass. The color is perfect. I really like the enhancements you’ve added such as the wheels and tires, rear bumper with dual trumpet exhausts. You shouldn’t have any trouble selling it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2021
    More from Edmunds on the Maverick....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6QYW0MnNE

PS @ab348 : I agree with what some others here have said. I'm so sorry that your health issues continue. But maybe it is time to run an ad. My suggestion, which I'm sure you've already thought of, is to try to write it in a way that might limit the number of low offers. I don't know what price you think would be a good one, but perhaps say something along the lines of: "$32,000 (or whatever). Firm. Serious offers only. Cashier's check required." On a positive note, those are great pix. It's a really good looking car. But it's understandable that it's a difficult process.

PPS And is there a dealer that sells classic cars anywhere near you? If so, you might give them a call. Even if they are quite a distance away they might be willing to send someone to you for a purchase. Might not get top dollar, but it might be an easier process. Or maybe they'd do it on consignment?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    I was proud of myself when I traded the 13 Accord. It was going to need the 100k service plus some odds and ends which would have been $600 or so. My typical style was to have had that done and then trade it. This time I didn’t. That will be on someone else’s dime. And thankfully the Passat was fully serviced and required nothing.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Well, the Edmunds video review of the Maverick was better than the one from KBB. He correctly identified the 110v plug, and when he was talking about the headroom he did tell us that he was 5'8". He also admitted that he hadn't driven one.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Ab, sorry to hear about your issues. But yes, it is hard to part ways. A lot of it just being the symbolism (acceptance?) of the situation.

can you use BaT? Might do well there. And I know cars sell out of Canada. Though probably a lot easier to sell it local.

• Options
    Oh, someone needs to tell Edmunds that on the Maverick, you can get 40 MPG(ish), or tow 4,000#s. But not both in the same truck, since the max tow on the Hybrid is 2.000#.

• Options
    might need to hit the lots tomorrow (and probably should have swung the wife by the dealer today for a free hotdog and test drive!). Probably won't, but the princess is coming home next weekend for a week before our annual week at the shore vacation. Well, she apparently has many appointments and plans. And no way to get to them other than hijacking the only car in the house!

• Options
    Sorry to read about that. Maybe BaT? Especially once the borders open up again, the car has so much aesthetic appeal that I could see a couple bidders getting into it. Just take 300 pics and stress it is an old car, to weed out the idiots.

For me it would be as much a game of approving the next buyer as much as them inspecting the car.
    ab348 said:

I am proving to be just the opposite of many of you fellows here. Bear with me for a minute to let me tell a story...

• Options

Well, the target audience for Naples Is indeed geriatric sooooooooo….

And the prime times are the times that I would want to be there soooooo….

• Options
    stickguy said:

can you use BaT? Might do well there. And I know cars sell out of Canada.

I would look into this. They have CDN listings all the time, and it would take the looky-loo factor out of it. And the auctions have been strong this summer.

• Options
    I considered BaT but dismissed it for a few reasons. There is no guarantee they will accept a submission and I understand that the whole process can take some time. The nitpickers and wannabe experts can ask lots of questions that have to be answered lest you be accused of hiding something, and a video is almost a requirement lately. Selling out of Canada to a foreign buyer requires a lot of additional effort. And there is no guarantee that the winning bidder will actually complete the sale. Dealing with all of that requires more energy than I can muster at the moment. If I was looking to get top dollar it might be feasible but I’m not.

There are a couple of local dealers who might be possibilities and I do intend to see if they have any interest.

• Options
    Good luck, @ab348 , and sorry to hear of your health issues. That is a gorgeous Olds!
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,743
    ab348 said:

You answered your own question….keep it.

I had a similar dilemma when Carvana offered me basically what I paid for my 6 year old Mustang. An obscene price but I just couldn’t pull the trigger.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Buyer’s remorse?

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,983
    corvette said:

Buyer’s remorse?

Or, like so many others, taking advantage of the insane used car market.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,385
    @ab348,
    My question for you is, If you got 'all the money' for your car, what would you do with it that would make your life better?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,976
    Got my grandpa's '67 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4-door when he passed in my senior year and it took me through my last three college years in New Orleans. It sat at home across the street on a vacant lot my freshman year with the folks using it every so often to keep the gas flowing. Could fit 6 passengers in it and it held so much stuff. Finally traded it in on that awful '76 Izuzu Opel in 1977. It started out as a turquoise with a black vinyl roof. Had it painted dark blue in 1973 right before we left for New Orleans. Painted it brown during the summer of '76 as I stayed in New Orleans to work that summer and got a great price to have it done, like $99. Must admit, it looked the best it ever did with the black vinyl top over the light brown bottom. Had also found some hubcaps from a 1962 Olds Starfire at a hub cap place in Ft. Lauderdale so it looked very sharp. Only issue was that when we had a heavy rain, the back seat wheel well inside the car would get wet with water. There must've been a leak in the rear window somewhere and it left the insides musty smelling. Luckily the a/c unit still cranked out cold air which was a G-d send down here in South Florida. So I do understand your love for your Oldsmobile Cutlass as I'd love to pick up a 1969 or 1970 unit someday.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

@ab348,
    My question for you is, If you got 'all the money' for your car, what would you do with it that would make your life better?

This isn’t about the money for me, aside from not giving it away needlessly. It sits deteriorating and unused in the garage 99% of the time and it needs an owner who will give it the kind of attention I used to be able to give it and take enjoyment from doing that.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,983

These new listings tickle my fancy. I’m sure the LC will go unreasonably high, though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-toyota-land-cruiser-fj80-16/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lincoln-mark-iv-tudor-5/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@ab348 said:

I am so sad to hear about your declining health and that the time has come to part with a close and dear companion - your Oldsmobile Cutlass.

As you know, my health continues to deteriorate as well so I can certainly empathize your your situation. Most of all, I have you in my prayers ab348! 🤓

2021 Genesis G90