Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@corvette said:
    @mjfloyd1 - did your carrier ever make the settlement on the total loss "right' to reflect current used vehicle pricing?

Yes. I got $53300 plus tax

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

@roadburner said:
    I don't mind it on a dark colored car so much. I think Munich is getting some pushback; as noted, the new G42 2er lacks a giant grille, and the LCI(facelifted) G30 5 Series doesn't wear a a gaping maw either.

It’s tolerable on the Black car. Any other color, including that dark green launch color, I think it’s hideous.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    just remembered the other oddity about the Frontier. It has very high effort steering. Must have been a while since I drove something with hydraulic, instead of electric, PS. But that truck had a big wheel, and some seriously heavy feel.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Michaell said:

1. She complains if she picks the wrong vehicle?
    2. You bought the T&C new in 2014?
    3. :laughing:

Yes to all.
    I think the T&C may be the only vehicle she never complained about.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    @stickguy - the steering on my Mustang GT felt artificially heavy.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927

My wife never drove the XC before we got it.

She now says she still likes it, but preferred the way the Enclave drove.

From now on she will drive any vehicle before I buy it!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    Now thinking about it, my wife didn’t drive either the 06 or 10 Pilot before I signed the dotted line. She just knew she wanted them. Thankfully she wasn’t disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed both. When considering the Q5 I did have her drive it and got two thumbs up.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

No chance we ever buy a car for my wife again without her driving and deciding. Even if she doesn’t pick what I would. Good thing she’s keeping her Acura for another decade!

For my car, she doesn’t care about driving it but would like to at least ride in it, but not essential.

• Options

Review embargo lifted at 6:00 AM. Sounds like an unproductive morning from work.

Hopefully a few actually tested the FWD version. I’m expecting most to be loaded AWD versions.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    I just posted a link to a review of both hybrid and turbo Maverick's on the new car thread.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    corvette said:

@stickguy - the steering on my Mustang GT felt artificially heavy.

What year was it? Mine has 3 effort levels from comfort to track.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    benjaminh said:
    That is a cautiously positive review. If I were buying it did sway me to upgrade to the 2.0 based on its overall powertrain refinement and not necessarily extra power.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    sda said:

Now thinking about it, my wife didn’t drive either the 06 or 10 Pilot before I signed the dotted line. She just knew she wanted them. Thankfully she wasn’t disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed both. When considering the Q5 I did have her drive it and got two thumbs up.

You got me thinking, when we bought the PT Crusier for her in 2009 I had to cajole her into test driving it. Prior to that cars we bought were either solely for my use or way, way back were hand me downs because we were too poor to afford what we wanted so neither one of us test drove.

By the time I bought the Kia she was too infirmed to drive at all and only sat in it at the dealership to see if the ergonomics worked.

On all purchases she had strong opinions on colors, such as “a sports car like that should be red” or “blue is cute”.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I did that upgrade after watching some escape hybrid reviews.

• Options
    @oldfarmer50 - Mine was a 2011. It didn't have an adjustment to vary the effort.
  • Options
    C&D review notes "massive, anti-social levels of wheelspin, even from a rolling start with the front-drive 2.0T. We'd recommend opting for all-wheel drive ($2220) with the more powerful engine."
  • Options
    Thanks. Been watching different videos and so far, as expected, all driving FWD hybrid and AWD 2.0t.

I Always consider the source though with C&D. I figured it wouldn’t be much different than a Minivan or maybe something like a turbo Sonata or 2.0t Accord.

• Options
    Did find a new record absurd lease on rodo. A 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E. MSRP $40,300

36/10, 1st payment doing at signing.

$1,003/month.

• Options
    Is the residual $4,000? Because that's the only way that makes sense to me.
  • Options
    $27,200. And MF .0018. So, normal terms.

That must have one heck of an ADM.

• Options
    So far, all the Maverick drive reviews are what I expected. Sounds like a good design. But I really wish I could drive one before the day I have to decide yes or no! How well the FWD handled power in normal driving was more one concern when I decided to order that. But, worst case, love the truck and hate the FWD, so I just order another one in a different configuration!

I did ask Honda dealer about civic hatch’s. They are taking orders for November delivery. Waiting on availability of the stick though. I still haven’t given up the dream! Can always do the sports/sporty car for normal driving, and search out a beater truck for bulk hauling duties.

• Options
    Something like this would be a useful spare car if in respectable shape. I just wouldn’t trust the dealer. But I like the configuration.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0aa778e2-67c4-4ca4-80b1-d9e0f415ed24/

• Options
    edited October 2021
    stickguy said:

But I really wish I could drive one before the day I have to decide yes or no!

I saw at least one or two in inventory at one of my local dealers, so you should be able to drive a Maverick, but it sounds like the 2.0T / FWD combo may be rare, so it might be tough to find one of those to drive if you want to test that specific powertrain combo.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    stickguy said:

Did find a new record absurd lease on rodo. A 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E. MSRP $40,300

36/10, 1st payment doing at signing.

$1,003/month.

Ha! Couldn’t you get one of those super low mile (7500/yr) leases on a Cayman for that kind of money?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

But I really wish I could drive one before the day I have to decide yes or no!

I saw at least one or two in inventory at one of my local dealers, so you should be able to drive a Maverick, but it sounds like the 2.0T / FWD combo may be rare, so it might be tough to find one of those to drive if you want to test that specific powertrain combo.
    There is one actual owner on Maverick truck club forum that bought one. He’s taking questions. A few people asked about reaction and so far he said didn’t notice any issues. But he was also still babying it in the break in period.

Not sure if any units have filtered into this area yet.

• Options
    Other than having some hoodlum fun how often would you floor it from standing still? I suspect 99% time the FWD 2.0 Maverick drives fine. I like it actually can spin its wheels. You can always back off the accelerator a bit if needed. Old school, sure. At least it doesn’t have an over active traction control like the Passat. The Passat will chirp its wheels, blink, blink, blink goes the traction light on the dash, the car stumbles, then accelerates. No off switch for traction control. Annoying.

• Options
    sda said:

The Passat will chirp its wheels, blink, blink, blink goes the traction light on the dash, the car stumbles, then accelerates. No off switch for traction control. Annoying.

The Prius does the same thing. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of aftermarket support for the Gen2. Apparently you can't retrofit an aftermarket remote starter (but you can on the Gen3), and there is no third party solution if you have issues with the rubber bladder fuel tank, even though I am pretty sure European Gen2 Priuses had a conventional fuel tank.
  • Options
    Wonder if you can order a 2022 new design BRZ at sticker? A premium is just under $29k. Thought it would be more.

• Options
    That Subaru BRZ looks good. Seems like a good deal!

And your FWD Maverick 2.0T should be fine as long as you don't floor it from a stop. As you say, the FWD Accord 2.0T has similar power and weight.
  • Options
    And can spin the tires! Actually, I always found that with FWD, an automatic was less of an issues with traction. A lot of power with a clutch, that could be trickier. Weight helps too. My odyssey had more HP than a Maverick.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    TTAC's review sounded like they liked the turbo with FWD:
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/10/2022-ford-maverick-first-drive-return-of-the-true-small-truck/

Edit: Typical disorganized TTAC review. "Key standard and available features include..." Maybe spell out which ones are available vs. standard? They also state a "gas XLT" starts at $21,080, when in fact that is the price of a 2.0T XL.
  • Options
    Alex on Autos has a 30 minute long video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIgNoOm_N1E
  • Options
    stickguy said:

So far, all the Maverick drive reviews are what I expected. Sounds like a good design. But I really wish I could drive one before the day I have to decide yes or no! How well the FWD handled power in normal driving was more one concern when I decided to order that. But, worst case, love the truck and hate the FWD, so I just order another one in a different configuration!

I did ask Honda dealer about civic hatch’s. They are taking orders for November delivery. Waiting on availability of the stick though. I still haven’t given up the dream! Can always do the sports/sporty car for normal driving, and search out a beater truck for bulk hauling duties.

There are no more beater trucks. There are only very expensive and not quite as expensive. :'(

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Roadshow weighs in. Usual very positive first review from them but the video does a good job of discussing all the variations available.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-preview/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguy said:

Something like this would be a useful spare car if in respectable shape. I just wouldn’t trust the dealer. But I like the configuration.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0aa778e2-67c4-4ca4-80b1-d9e0f415ed24/

Not bad. In another world $9k for a 15 yo truck with 120,000 miles would be high but we are in different reality.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    stickguy said:

Wonder if you can order a 2022 new design BRZ at sticker? A premium is just under $29k. Thought it would be more.

I looked at Subaru's Canadian site. Up here if you want EyeSight that means ordering the automatic transmission. I suppose that is true for all models offering those types of features and I just hadn't thought of it before.

Remember, they are very low cars. You might be like me and others here (if not now, soon) and have to roll out onto the ground and then pick yourself up to obtain egress. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    sda said:

Other than having some hoodlum fun how often would you floor it from standing still? I suspect 99% time the FWD 2.0 Maverick drives fine. I like it actually can spin its wheels. You can always back off the accelerator a bit if needed. Old school, sure. At least it doesn’t have an over active traction control like the Passat. The Passat will chirp its wheels, blink, blink, blink goes the traction light on the dash, the car stumbles, then accelerates. No off switch for traction control. Annoying.

Chrysler minivans with the 3.6L will do a one wheel spin with little provocation. You’d think in a truck that might be back end heavy when hauling would have a limited slip.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    So what is the deal in Texas? I was looking at a car listing (it happens) and here's a sample of the listed history. Do they just hand out duplicate titles at the mall or what?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    I always like Alex’s reviews. Very clear and thorough. He did mention driving the 2.0t FWD and having some torque steer. Said to get the AWD if going with the 2.0t motor. But he really seemed to like the hybrid. And phenomenal MPG. maybe I should have stuck with that like I was originally planning!

• Options
    from the TTAC review of the Maverick....

"It will surprise precisely no one when I tell you that the gas four is more engaging on-road than the hybrid, especially in FWD guise. It’s more responsive, pulls away from stoplights with more gusto (especially with an unladen bed), and is simply more fun in the stoplight-to-stoplight urban/suburban cut and thrust. It’s better at providing quick power for passing and merging.

That’s not to say the hybrid is to be avoided, but it is pokey, at least by comparison. I’d spring for the 2.0 unless fuel economy or a lower MSRP are key drivers of your Maverick purchase."
  • Options
    I am seeing more all season passenger car tires (not snow tires) available with the three-peak mountain snowflake designation, such as the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready, which seems to get excellent reviews. Something like that might be a good option for a 2WD Maverick.
  • Options
    8.5 for a hybrid with that kind of economy is not pokey to me. Certainly quicker than a Prius!

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Andre from TFL got 8.15 and 8.5 with the hybrid.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    stickguy said:

Certainly quicker than a Prius!

The second and third gen Prius are reputed to be in the low 9 second range. I haven't tested mine with an app to confirm. If it's only a second different, I think I'd consider the Maverick hybrid to be poky, as well.
  • Options
    I miss the old days, where I could just go to the dealer and just drive each configuration back to back and decide for myself. Only way I will know for sure.

But given my intent for this, when I started down the path, and after watching a bunch of videos today, I think I should have stayed with a hybrid and just waited in line. I could order one now, though likely looking at next March at least for delivery.

• Options
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

Certainly quicker than a Prius!

The second and third gen Prius are reputed to be in the low 9 second range. I haven't tested mine with an app to confirm. If it's only a second different, I think I'd consider the Maverick hybrid to be poky, as well.
    If I want to go fast I can drive the RDX. The hybrid should be more than fast enough for puttering around town, going to Lowe’s, etc. I’m not planning to take a truck canyon carving.

• Options
    Though the lower price and better mpg of the Hybrid is appealing, I do enjoy a vehicle with effortless acceleration and a conventional shifting automatic instead of a CVT.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    qbrozen said:

Thanks. Closing is done. We did that remotely on Fri.

These people seriously left EVERYTHING! Like I want their sheets and towels? Seriously?

Sounds like a bonus! It works fine for hotels, and you're place is going to be basically that, so don't over-think that one and just go with it. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250