Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to learn more!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,687
    xwesx said:

-46F here this morning, though it has warmed up a *little* bit since then. I don't usually have this problem, but all of my cars are pissed off today and failing to start. I skipped pickleball because it was just more effort to get the car running than it's worth. /sigh

————————————————-
    -46F !!!!!! I thought life ceased at -40F. :'( I don’t know how you folks can put up with that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    I've done it in my younger years in Edmonton, but not prepared to deal with it these days.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,186
    xwesx said:

-46F here this morning, though it has warmed up a *little* bit since then. I don't usually have this problem, but all of my cars are pissed off today and failing to start. I skipped pickleball because it was just more effort to get the car running than it's worth. /sigh

A -46F temperature might make your pickle a little brittle. B)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,278
    xwesx said:

We're like 10F above normal again today, which aside from the cold snap a couple weeks ago, is normal in this La Nina winter. Unfortunately, we don't have the dryness associated with that weather pattern. We had around 6" of snow maybe 9 days ago, and it is 90% gone now.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,320
    edited January 27
    I can see the decal now: Life begins at -40F! #saltlife
    (There's a thing that my friends and I call the awfully-kerned "salt life" decals, which I can't post here, but I'm sure everyone can imagine...)
  • Options
    ab348 said:

xwesx said:

A -46F temperature might make your pickle a little brittle. B)

————————————————
    Whatever made you think of that? Have to wonder if that’s in @driver100’s range.?

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,842
    -26 F in 1977 in Cincinnati. Brutal. Nearly as cold in ‘78. But, even more snow.

I hope to never see that again.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 533
    edited January 28
    That's got to be way below normal even for Alaska

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,800
    mjfloyd1 said:

@roadburner said:

I had a tire shop do that fixing a flat on the Mini; I noticed it the next day and the shop corrected it with no issues. The manager had the guy who originally mounted the tire re do it which I thought was a good way to teach the tech to check for that situation in the future.

At BMW we had a 3 Series come in with a staggered set of wheels and a clueless tire shop had rotated them front to rear.

I had that exact same thing happen when I had the 335 convertible. I took it back the next day and was accused of rotating them myself but they finally did swap them back.

So they accused you of sabotaging your own car? To what end? I’d be pretty livid if that was a response to THEIR error.

That reminds me of when I had a brake job done at a national chain and they left the lug nuts untightened to the point where the wheel was coming off. I pulled over in the dark and hand tightened them enough to drive back. When I showed them, the manager flippantly said “oh they weren’t that loose”. Fortunately, I had better self control back then.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Happened to drop a bought ex-rental at Miami Lakes Auto Mall today and that dark gray Bolt EUV was still there. Still love the size and the alloys but hate that it doesn't have the Bose audio system and the plug looked really big. Not sure I'm going to want to deal with this on a weekly basis. Still need to find out if the charges at my home office accept Bolt's on their system but since I did see one using it many months ago, assuming they do fit.

Just for sh-ts and grins, did a local search for 2023 Hyundai Kona Limited models in the 50 mile radius of home and did find quite a few still in stock for sale, mostly down in Miami. Guessing that would be a bit too weird to have the same vehicle but in a different color. I know it'll fit on my side and do lie the way they look. At 166", very doable. Got to ride in a Kia Seltos yesterday in Miami for a few minutes and even though bigger, think it could work also. And that comes in at 172" plus so do have options going forward. And there is about a $7K price difference, give or take, between the 2023 and 2024 models. But since I haven't driven a 2024 model yet, hard to make a valid comparison between both models. So, thinking a "garage test" is needed to decide which way to go here. Just have to really decide if two of the same vehicles for the next 9 or so years is doable!

My BIL was out car shopping the other day in St. Cloud. Are the dealers near you still pulling the thousands in add ons and junk fees that they were until recently? I want to tell him not to pay $500 for Nitrogen in the tires and $900 for Scotch Guard on the seats.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

I've done it in my younger years in Edmonton, but not prepared to deal with it these days.

Back in the early 2000s the school would bring a bunch of us drivers in at 4:00 am to start the diesels so they would be ready to run at 6:00. There were a few mornings when it was -20 or worse. I have never been more bone chilled in my life. I don’t think I stopped shivering until July.

• Options

I remember back in the late '90s being sent to Regina, SK in January on a business trip for a few days. It was really cold, -25 during the day, -35 or -40 overnight. The hotel was near a large public parking lot across the street. Some people would set up Coleman stove-type things under their engine compartment a few hours before they had to try to start it after sitting all day.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,511
    ab348 said:

I remember back in the late '90s being sent to Regina, SK in January on a business trip for a few days. It was really cold, -25 during the day, -35 or -40 overnight. The hotel was near a large public parking lot across the street. Some people would set up Coleman stove-type things under their engine compartment a few hours before they had to try to start it after sitting all day.

Everyone in the Prairies had (probably still do) block heaters and sometimes battery blankets as well. Many outdoor parking lots were equipped with an AC outlet for each space so the car would start at the end of the day. Youth hockey practice took place most afternoons unless it got colder than -20 F (this was before Canada abandoned the Imperial system), which happened pretty regularly in mid-winter.

Good times.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,983
    OF, our oldest & her husband live in St. Cloud and really love it there, except for the traffic. They can get off the turnpike real close to their development, my daughter works in downtown Orlando temporarily, but to get on going north, they have to go back out to the entrance on 192, which takes a bit. Their development is at the end of basic civilization so to speak, but I saw recently that there was a load of new builds on 192, east of town.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    If you snooze you lose! That Chevy Bolt LT in dark gray sold, it was gone when I got there on Friday to drop off a sold vehicle. But truthfully, wasn't that upset about it...just not the vehicle for me I guess. Just not ready to do anything I guess but, will only keep a 1/2 tank of petrol just in case something pops up that I decide to go for. Will still check out the Kona's, 2023 & 2024 models, as I do like their great warranty. But no AWD if I can help it. The wife has AWD on hers but she's fine with it and really had no idea before I clued her in!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Ha! I always try to bring in a trade-in or return a leased car with a quarter tank or less, whenever possible.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,791
    a lease return is the only time one of my cars will ever have the low fuel light on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    @stickguy - just so you know, the Maverick gives a warning at 50 miles of range and a second warning at 25 miles of range. I think the low fuel light may not illuminate until the 25 mile warning, though.
  • Options

Thanks. Only way I would likely ever have known!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,007

Took a 200 mile round trip in the Benz this weekend. It yelled at me this morning at 30 miles to go on the way to the charger.

I charged it to 95% and it read 245 miles. Drove it at least 200 so the computer is pretty accurate. It was a straight highway run at 75 the whole way.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @tjc78 - have you been able to take advantage of the free 30 minute charging sessions at EA chargers? That seems like it would be enough to get many vehicles from about 20% to 80% SOC, if charging occurs at the highest speeds the vehicles support.
  • Options
    edited January 29

My rental while the Maverick is being repaired. I thought Nissan had switched to a four cylinder turbo in these, but it has a lumpy V6. It’s sparsely equipped. No BSM, manual climate, keyless ignition but it looks like you have to press the remote to lock/unlock. I think I’ll be glad to have the Maverick back.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 16,007

@corvette said:
    @tjc78 - have you been able to take advantage of the free 30 minute charging sessions at EA chargers? That seems like it would be enough to get many vehicles from about 20% to 80% SOC, if charging occurs at the highest speeds the vehicles support.

Yep I’ve paid less than $20 in charging fees since we’ve owned it.

The thirty minute thing is hit or miss. Sometimes it charges you and other times it doesn’t. Maybe something about peak times?

As soon as I can see light of day from all the other projects I have a home charger is on the list. Just too convenient not to have

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,785
    After a weekend in Boston (took the train in), had lunch at a local casual fave (after the cost of the Boston steakhouse lunch, a relief to have a total bill less than the cost of my sirloin alone!) where they offer two hours of free Chargepoint charging. Hooked up for 1:39, went from empty to 7/8 tank (read 19 miles of range). Free electricity remains a nice perk.
    Filled up at BJs to keep petrol tank above half, since the last fill-up 300 miles at 41.7mpg and (IIRC) 9.9 miles/kwh.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,839
    9.9/kwh?! That would be incredible. I think most electrics tend to be around 4; the pickups are like 2.5.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,785
    Yes, but as a PHEV, I'll believe the kwh is enhanced by running as a hybrid. A little bit of gas, a little bit of electric...
    In pure EV, I get 1.5-2mi/kwh.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,839
    Ah, okay. At first I thought 'typo', but who knows.... maybe the industry's best kept secret!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,766
    I'm sure I'm late to the ballgame here, but I knew their algorithm's were complete garbage:

https://www.vroom.com/sell/sitemsg

Still surprised Carvana keeps on ticking while others go into the Circuit City trash heap.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,038

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:
    ————————————————
    I think you’re right. Half it’s life on a hook and the other half on a rack. :'( But the price ain’t bad.

jmonroe
  • Options

Cheap to buy in. Then it probably will eat you alive if your aren’t able to do all the work yourself.

• Options
    I used to have this dream of buying a 993 Porsche. I remember about 2012 talking to a guy at Cars n Coffee about the one he just bought. I was nosy and asked him how much. $55K. He said: If you want one, better get it now, they just keep going up.

On BaT now, most are going for $100K+. :#

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,440
    @kyfdx,
    Really good 993's are going for around 200K. One of my friends has one with less than 20K on it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    not like they are going to make more air cooled models.

• Options

@kyfdx,
    Really good 993's are going for around 200K. One of my friends has one with less than 20K on it.

$120K on the unit, today

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I should have kept my ‘84 Targa. Even those are bringing $50K-$75K

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,440
    The 993 that sold today has a lot of question marks including a non functioning odometer, as some point.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    qbrozen said:
    Beginning the day you bring it home on a flatbed. I'm surprised no warning lights are on. I wonder how many different fluids are leaking. Carfax says a dealer in NJ took it in in late August, then the Mitsubishi dealer bought it in October. I'm surprised it hasn't been punted to the auction by now.
  • Options
    Saw and drove some interesting iron these past couple of days at work. Got to drive an electric Volvo XC40 today and not sure it's something I'd want to do every day. Must say though, the power delivery was intoxicating to say the least...something I'd probably really enjoy! It was easy to modulate the accelerator without using the brakes much but think the range anxiety would drive me nuts! At least with a gasser, one knows exactly when it'll be time to pull into a station & fill up or put just a small amount in. Would think with an EV, one would need a level 2 charger at home in the garage so they could top it off nightly. And in my case, having one of those in my garage, my range anxiety would totally disappear. The only issue would be with an extended power outage of days or weeks making every EV a brick! So think that having that Bolt being sold last week was a sign from above.

Got to drive a Porsche Panamerica this afternoon and it was fun. Nice power delivery but a little too low to the ground. Certainly nothing I'd ever want to own.

Saw a Deloreon yesterday and got to sit in it also. Was delivering a Chevy Silverado that this upscale dealership bought us in Ft. Lauderdale. Was definitely a very cool vehicle to say the least. Did like the MB convertible, a 209 model with 2156 miles on it, which also had Maclaren badging on it. Had doors that went up which was also very cool, asking price was $469K!

• Options

qbrozen said:
    A BMW serviced at Pep Boys and Walmart- just what I always wanted.
    haha. yeah, I noticed that. And that it had to go back to walmart almost immediately (shocker) and then to pep boys very shortly after that. Guess the owner didn't learn enough of a lesson with one cut-rate place.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    An interesting one came up at auction today. A 2004 Bravada 4.2 AWD. 89k miles and the obligatory forest green. I was vaguely interested but turns out the dealer has a $5k asking price. Smoke crack much?

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,620

Isn’t anything that’s AWD with under 100k miles $5k and up now? I’m not saying I like it, but it doesn’t feel like the old days are coming back anytime soon.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options

$5k is the new $2500?

• Options
    stickguy said:

$5k is the new $2500?

Yeah, i believe so.

• Options
    tifighter said:

Isn’t anything that’s AWD with under 100k miles $5k and up now? I’m not saying I like it, but it doesn’t feel like the old days are coming back anytime soon.

not at dealer auction

• Options
    Need some opinions on this interesting one.

2006 X3 3.0 with 98k miles. Clean appearance. Issues: 4x4 light is illuminated and OBDII code P0128. Those 2 are unrelated, as far as I can tell. I'm sure they didn't use a scanner that can even read 4x4 codes. Milk shows on the oil filler cap but not the dipstick. It would make sense the P0128 and condensation are related. I'd guess bad thermostat not allowing the engine to get up to full temp in the cold weather. The 4x4 light is a complete mystery without digging into it. I've read about bad actuators, which isn't a terrible job, but that usually produces more than just a 4x4 light.

With fees and shipping, it looks like I could get it for $3k total.

Good? Bad? Do I really need another project? Not really.