Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695
    BMW--can't think of a reason not to buy it. How does that price jive with Edmunds values? A vert like that would be my dream summer cruiser.

TC--price is low enough to take a flyer but I don't like it when they are stingy telling milage. As to never seeing another I've seen two for sale near me in the last year plus this one where I vacation: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/3435119422.html

VW wagon--you guys have scared me off ever owning a VW but that's pretty cheap for a 2007. What am I missing?

BMW--I was dialing the number until I read down and saw about the transmission and brakes. What's that, about $10,000 in required repairs? Nice looking though and I'd love to own a nice luxury car like that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,580
    Yes, my life is that exciting.

One for TJC who said he wanted an old car again. Should be big and soft enough for him. Cheap too!

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3504538082.html

Hmm, cheap for an '08. and a fully loaded stick. Something hinky, or are the 77K on it enough to nail the price? Supposedly still CPO too.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3472773002.html

sounds like the kind of OCD BMW owner you want to buy from, but a few things strike me wrong on the pics.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3513490464.html

"only serious peoples" should apply to the seller too (wheels and price)

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3513422323.html

not bad looking for the price. and love the choice of picture.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3513353255.html

no one is this brave.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3467876227.html

grow my mullet back out?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3499001606.html

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Lincoln--depending on the milage, I'd buy it.

BMW--nice. Is it worth the price?

BMW 5--kind of rare to have a stick in a 5, isn't it? And clayed twice a year. OCD indeed.

Toyota--I wonder if those cars will ever have the value of a Detroit muscle car. That seller certainly thinks so.

BMW3--that is my favorite 3er style. Not a bad price.

Land Rover--from the stories I've heard it probably wouldn't even start.

Camaro--might be nice to slap some antique plates on it and cruise the weekend round-ups.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2013
    That poor Toyota, someone rescue it from that owner.

I always liked the Defender but I'd only get one if my roommate was a mechanic.
  • Options
    But that's why I like 'em. No one else is bidding against me. The fact that this one isn't all rotted to heck makes it attractive to me too. If it was a BMW I'd like it better but then I'd be afraid someone would pinch me and I'd wake up.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3513629714.html

Speaking of dreams, last night I had a wonderful dream that I was in Florida buying super cheap real estate and rust free cars. Oh and of course, I could fly! :)

• Options
    What engine does it have?
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,275
    edited January 2013
    328xi: Photos look good, but it's too cheap for a clean car. It's probably had body work and/or flood damage even if the Carfax is clean. I was browsing used BMWs on Carmax's website, and they had one where the Autocheck report showed not one but two prior accidents. It was priced maybe $500 less than a car with a clean report! You know you'll get nailed for more than $500 when you trade the car in a few years later.

323i: Looks nice, but not enough pictures or maintenance history or even a description of the car's options. At over 10 years old and 126,000 miles, this is the time when various parts of the cooling system begin to leak.

Land Rover: An old British LR with 180,000 miles? Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Camaro IROC-Z: It's not my kind of car, but it does appear to be in excellent shape for its age. Might as well go for the full mullet and get one with t-tops, though.
  • Options
    "...what engine?..."

Probably a 3.1L V-6 (good) or a 2.2L 4cyl. (not so good). I'm betting the 6 because the 4s didn't last as long.

Unless you're referring to the car in my dreams in which case in was a Dodge turbo that turned into an ambulance. :confuse:

• Options
    My FIL had the Olds version of that car, from about the same vintage, which then got passed down to my nephew. Low miles originally and garaged until he took it to Buffalo and New Hampshire (school), and overall looked OK but got junked because the undercarraige rotted out (as is typical in upstate NY).

• Options
    edited January 2013
    "...as is typical in upstate NY..."

Yep, it's where cars go to die. I had a 1991 Olds 88 which withstood all the abuse and crashes two teen boys could put it through but at 127,000 it died from rot. The 3800 motor was running like a top when it drove to the crusher.

• Options
    That engine was bomb proof. I was wondering if that Buick came with that.
  • Options
    I already have one of these but this one is nicer and has about 60k less miles. Oh to live the dream!

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3492168598.html

• Options
    My FIL had one of those when he passed away. Might have been a bit newer than that one, but was a lot of car.

frankly, if that one is as clean as represented, for that price I would have snapped it up instead of my Integra. Skip the Lexus, go completely to old fartdom.

• Options
    We must be twins, my wife's father had a light blue one and also passed. His was beat up.
  • Options
    "...go completely to old fartdom..."

You've got that right. My 93 Deville is like riding an overstuffed couch down the road. The 4.9L has a lot of torque so it can really move out if you don't mind 3 mpg. The next generation Northstar motor was superior in every respect except for the habit of blowing head gaskets. My 4.9L has about 90k miles and I'm sure it will still be running when all the 1994 Devilles with the 4.6L Northstars will be scrap.

After 93 I wouldn't buy a Caddy until the early 2000 models.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    That Mark doesn't look too bad for the price! I wonder if it has the HO motor or not. Hmmm.....

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,806
    Speaking of 3 mpg, I drove my plow truck about 15 miles to a friend's house to plow out his driveway on Sunday. That was the first time I had it on the road in a year (typically just use it to plow my local subdivision), and I was shocked at its voracious appetite. I filled it up about a mile from my house, drove it fifteen to his house, plowed, then drove home, filling up again at that same station, and it took a whopping 7 gallons! Estimating two gallons for the plowing time, that still leaves me at a miserable 6 mpg. :surprise:

And, that's why I only use it for my subdivision. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,185
    Renntech C63...hmm, that might be more rare than my E55...need to buy a bike soon before I do something dumber.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    I reckon that would be pretty fun to drive! I would probably loose my license!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    IIRC, that car puts out like 540hp - not cheap, but maybe a lot of performance for the money. I do worry about maintenance on a modified car. Probably sounds amazing, too.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Wish I was shopping for a bike. Sat on a Sportster a few weeks ago and discovered my riding days are over. I remember fondly driving my 84 V 30 Honda Magna 25 miles to work on a nice day. Some interstate and some rural roads with sweeping turns. Some neighbors would ay that I was crazy -- it was dangerous. They were right but being dangerous wasn't the problem---being dangerous was the fun !!!
  • Options
    I've been telling myself for awhile that I should have a toy while I can still enjoy it - but have put it off. I went out and got my endorsement, but still lack a bike. It would just be a sunny day thing for me.

I tell myself that I should limit it to about 5K - I was thinking of starting with a used SV650 or maybe the new style CBR500 or Ninja 300 (I want FI and ABS), But then I see this, and want it
  • Options
    For less than 4k you can get a brand new Honda Rebel 250 cc. It's the perfect starter bike -- lots of fun on a nice day. You won't lose much when you trade or sell it in a year --- who knows, you might find it's cool for a few years. I started on an 82 Honda 200 cc Twinstar. It was great -- cruising through the neighborhood -- winding it up to redline and speed shifting while still staying under 40 mph. It was a butt buzzer but got 80 mpg. Not trying to tell you what to do -- just figure it's worth considering.
  • Options

• Options
    "...C63..."

If you have $50k to throw at that car, gas milage shouldn't be a concern. 12mpg in the city ain't THAT bad.

• Options
    "...reliable daily driver. "

That bit made me LOL. I assume this was a grey market import. Those are usually bad news from a standpoint of parts availability. The paint looks beautiful but it looks like some rust bubbles are starting to form towards the front of the "rust free" passenger door skin.
  • Options
    I noticed that flaw on the bottom of the door, too. Common rust area for these, and they can really rust. I would want the whole car examined with a microscope.

It's a real Euro car, which can be good and bad. I love the period colors and how it generally looks, and those are such a nice design - look how tall the glass is compared to the body, how open and airy it is. Very sound design.
  • Options
    I average around 15mpg in the city with my current daily driver, so that's not a big plunge. It's mechanical maintenance that worries me - the car is not stock, and might have some quirky add-ons. Cool though, and super rare, I am sure less than 100 were sold in the US that year.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I remember we had those in the MSF class. I generally don't care for cruiser style bikes, and those were a little too short for me - I found it easier to balance well in slow speed maneuvers on a taller standard bike, or even a scooter. I am a little over 6' and I like something with a little seat height. I suppose the Ninja 300 might be the sportier equivalent to the small engined Rebel. I also am fairly set on ABS and FI, and some cheaper bikes even have a slipper clutch. I know better than to start with a huge engined superbike - although if I take up the activity in earnest, I would like to eventually have something more insane.
  • Options
    ABS is a definite plus -- locking your brakes on a 2 wheeler is not for the faint of heart. With a 5k or less budget, you should find something fits.
  • Options
    ABS and FI would really make things easier for me (leaky rough carbs really bug me), and a good clutch is a must as the bikes I have ridden so far were old and neglected with horrible clutches. I will try to be disciplined and keep it around 5K, and ignore the siren song of those Ducatis :shades:
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    FI would really make things easier for me (leaky rough carbs really bug me),

You have a point there. Carbs, ethanol laced fuel, and occasional use, spells potential performance issues.
  • Options
    "...super rare..."

If it's that rare you could just park it in the garage for a few decades and watch the value grow. Then gas milage is unimportant. ;)

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Rare, but not in a way that will ever really appreciate. Few modern cars will become collectible enough to justify such storage. Drive them and enjoy them. My E55 is a rare car, and in its color, one of less than 100 sold in the US over 4 model years - but that doesn't give it any special value, just curiosity.
  • Options
    Leaks, sludge, adjustments, I don't want to deal with it. And even if I did, I don't have a proper space to perform the work. Modern technology can be embraced.
  • Options
    I got a laugh (if you could call it that) out of my wife earlier. I IM'd her that I had an epiphany, and realized I am too damned old/chubby/creaky at this point for a low slung sporty car. Basically, I need to embrace my oldfartdom, and get something that I can actually get in and out of! Ride though does not bother me, so no need for pillow cushy. But comfort and features (you get used to being spoiled!) are good.

of course, my wife being wise after the fact, said "why didn't you figure this out before you bought a car?" though she did push me to get this one!

Might have to bide time until spring and hope my son gets a job, so I can repo the TL. Or as she said (not that I had not thought of it on my own), "trade them both in on a new one"!

but, I am keeping my eyes open. if I stumble upon the luxo car of my dreams, I will just have to buy it, and figure out what to do with the extras after the fact.

• Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I've been complaining loudly to friends and family that The General had forsaken me.. used to be, us holders of the old, "blue" GM Card would get love letters near Christmas; here's your "topped off" earnings, take the $2, $3, or $5k and buy something shiny with it.

One reason I stopped using their silly credit card is that my rebate points became irrelevant, since they'd fill up to a certain limit rather than add a fixed amount, so what was the point... I've got a Subaru card now, but that's for a future purchase...

Anyway, one fondly remembers the $5k offered on the Pontiac GTO back in '07 or whenever -- I coulda had a stick for $20 + tax. That car would be worth $12-$15 today. Try finding one. Unfortunately, I remembered in time that I neither needed nor wanted a GTO.

I did buy a fullsize work truck with air/cruise/radio and automatic for $14k OTD, that was pretty sweet.

The last coupla years, nuthin'. I guess that's what a bankruptcy will do, or should do.

Imagine my surprise when I find, a couple days ago, a card in the mail from my friends at The GM Card (tm), where I have been once again "topped off" to $2k, plus they are pleased to extend an "additional $1,000 private offer" which, near as I can tell, is just more of the same thing. The rebate department at General is run by the same demented individual that sets the pricing schemes of the German railway system... that is my only explanation for this nonsense.
    The rebates are good on any GM vehicle except the Corvette ZL1 and the Chevrolet Spark. You can't make this stuff up.

Went to the Chevy dealer, and it looks like I'll be replacing my 18-year-old Camry beater with a leased Cruze. The advertised deal is $149/month with $2k down, the numbers work out to DOC & registration at inception + 23 payments of $125, including tax. I'm commitment-phobic, so 24 months is my limit.

I thought this wold be the place to share this; if anyone has a better idea, I'm flexible so long as it's cheap.

Between GM being up to their old shenanigans and credit-card companies tripping over themselves to offer no-fee, interest-free loans, it's starting to feel a lot like 2006 again. Very creepy.

Cheers, and Happy Friday,
    -Mathias
  • Options
    "I'm too old, chubby, creaky for a low slung sports car." Welcome to the club.
  • Options
    Time for a Buick. Just make it a Regal turbo.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I hear you --- I, too, was "topped off" to $2K on my card, with the additional $1K 'private offer'.

I've been eyeing the Sonic - either the LTZ or RS hatchback. $3K off from GM, and perhaps another $3K for the trade of my ION (82K) would get me into one for around $12-14K, plus TTL.

If only I had room in my budget for another (small) car payment ... and, of course, getting the go-ahead from the wifey.

Sigh.

stick - you think you could sell the Integra for what you paid on it? Seeing your story play out has me seriously reconsidering my thoughts of getting something 'sporty' as my next DD, whenever that is.
  • Options
    I do remember those cheap GTOs, may have been the last muscle bargain....ever?

There was also a time when you could get a Saab 9-2x for $19k. A WRX clone but with 2 years of free service.

2 years later they still sold for mid teens, hardly any depreciation at all.

Rare opportunities like that are sweet.

The strange thing is few cars are bought this way so it doesn't seem to affect resale values.

CCBers are gonna take this as a green light to buy even more cars LOL!
  • Options
    My law partner (who has a bad back) commented that the ride in my 540i M-sport is firm. It's even firmer now that I aired the tires up to about 40 psi (they had dropped to about 30)! It doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Reality bites. A few weeks ago I did something unknown but terrible to my lower back. Kept me down for most of a weekend. When I was semi-mobile again, had to use the SUV as there was no way I could contort myself into my low-slung GT. That hurt a lot, too!

Better now, but it does remind me that I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now. :shades:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Welcome guys to my world...58 with a bad spine! It ain't no fun anymore and though I love my '06 Civic, I really need something I can slide over into and not fall into. I always have to sit on a special cushion but it's height is such that I still fall into my car. Funny thing is that besides a minivan or Subaru, I can slide right into the drivers seat of my kids Versa hatchback...it's true and much easier for me to drive. I could live with one for my dd but plan on getting a car with a power seat next go round. At our age, we all deserve the creature comforts in our rides. Luckily I don't have to drive much anymore.

The Old Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I had a lower back sprain and my wife's Forester was ideal, just the right height plus heated seats.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Stick - I bet you could unload that Integra for close, if not the same, as what you paid for, as long as you're a bit patient for the right buyer. So, nothing lost.

On another note, I checked out the new Mazda6 last night - the dealer has a fully loaded model in the showroom just for looking. To my eyes, it's really sharp from the front head-on, or directly from the rear. But something about the side profile seems a bit off to me - perhaps a bit over-stylized like a Sonata. But 38 mpg on the highway, and a stick-shift available in all but the top model - I'll give Mazda credit for that. With no exaggeration, if they were to bring the wagon over here, I'd buy it (the wagon seems to take care of that side profile problem too :P )

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    that was my thought when I bought the Integra. Cheap enough that I should be able to get back out in 1 piece if needed. Much easier to CCB when you are fishing in the shallow end of the price pool. Just easier to have it blow up on you!

Something higher and less restrictive would be ideal. My Volvo is fine. I don't need big or cushy really.

Steine, sounds like a deal. roughly 3K to drive a new car for the next 2 years? That does not even cover depreciation, and you can blow that on a beater if you put say 20K miles on it 9factoring in drop in value, and potential maintenance). Plus new is nice!

I get interested in those loss leader leases, then discover i don't qualify for any of the conditionals, and I would have to pay a boatload more to get a model I could live with.

• Options
    "...I am too damn old/chubby/creaky..."

Aren't we all. I don't care if they have to load and unload me with a crane, when I find a car of my dreams the momentary popping and snapping of joints can't dim the fantasy. :sick:

• Options
    "...if anyone has a better idea..."

How about a Chevy Volt? I think if you buy one Barack and Michelle will have you over for dinner and if, as the ads say, you forget how to put gas in it, no one will call you senile. :P

• Options
    "...need something I can slide over into..."

My wife found the PT Cruiser to be perfect for her after her stroke. Just the right height so she didn't have to climb like the van or fall into like my sportier cars. It's pretty much the only car I don't have to fight to get her into. The resale value on them is so bad you could probably find a few that people would PAY YOU to take away. ;)