Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,710

Getting ready to car shop soon. Once we stop spending on nonsense like upgrade toilet paper holders.

I priced out a garage to put it in.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

Anyone know what a 14x26 garage slab should reasonably cost these days?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,005
    tifighter said:

This is a great car-

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-325ix-30

And will be a great barometer of Covid vs post-Covid BaT.

Very small subset of E30 buyers would consider an AWD model.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,488
    @venture

Congrats & Best of luck to you with the new Legacy! Not too often you get to hit the reset button with the same car/color combination. How are you feeling? A punch is a punch!

Speaking of, our president & CEO @breld has been unusually quiet as of late.

@corvette

What is the 2024 Punch Count so far?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,614

@kyfdx said:

Yes. But I think an E30 coupe iX manual is always an exception. Low volume when new, few remain, very few without 200k miles.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,157
    stickguy said:

Geez, you're the guy getting a house built. I figured you'd have 3 quotes for that already in hand so it would be ready on move-in day. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,005
    stickguy said:

Mine was 24x40 and they priced it at $7200, not including the base stone. I can't find the receipt for that, but it wasn't expensive. I want to say maybe $600-$800?

Description of slab was: 4" concrete floor, expansion joints, fiber mesh, 3500 PSI. Customer supplies 4" stone base. Concrete crew spreads stone. Extra concrete or extra grading is extra charge.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

So looks like a tick over $8/sf. At my size looks to be about $3k. I was guesstimating $2,500 for a little bit smaller footprint so this feels right.

The one place I am using to get a reality check estimate includes everything other than the slab and I assume electric.

I need to find a few local builder types to quote on it once the house is done.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,652
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Mine was 24x40 and they priced it at $7200, not including the base stone. I can't find the receipt for that, but it wasn't expensive. I want to say maybe $600-$800?

Description of slab was: 4" concrete floor, expansion joints, fiber mesh, 3500 PSI. Customer supplies 4" stone base. Concrete crew spreads stone. Extra concrete or extra grading is extra charge.
    ————————————————
    I’m surprised your concrete strength is only 3500 psi. I always heard 4000 psi concrete is recommended for commercial applications, especially when you’re bolting a car lift to the floor.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    I’m surprised your concrete strength is only 3500 psi. I always heard 4000 psi concrete is recommended for commercial applications, especially when you’re bolting a car lift to the floor.

jmonroe

I didn’t put one into the new garage. We discussed the possibility and it was suggested it would be easier to reinforce just where the pillars would go. By the time we got to that point, money was tight and I just couldn’t be bothered to figure it out. If/when the time comes, I figure it ain’t a big deal to cut out some bits and redo them.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,828
    venture said:

tjc78 said:

Mine was cheap. I think it was under $200. You certainly could not walk on it.

Yours is very nice looking.
    My father's truck as a similar unit... about ten years old at this point, and it is looking very tired. Probably still worth the price and effort of install, though.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,761
    stickguy said:

Are the footings already laid? That’s what’s going to cost you. I built a 16’x24’ pole barn using a post hole digger to put in a bunch of concrete piers to 42”. It was pretty cheap.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited April 30
    Slab-on-grade is a thing these days, so I'm not sure a garage would even need footings (depends on jurisdiction); some slab-on-grade codes require monolithic pours that include a shallow footing.

Either way, I don't know that I would price a smaller size at scale with what Q noted for his slab, as it isn't typically a straight line. The company's costs are weighted heavily toward the front, so maybe $7,500 for 24x40, but likely still $4-5K for 14x26. I'd be really surprised if you can get a $2,500-3K quote and, frankly, I'd be a bit leery of the quality of work you can expect.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited April 30
    venture said:

This looks familiar.

Very much like the one the guy smashed up. Only minor option differences.

Nice, @venture ! Did you name it Rudolf?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,407
    @xwesx,
    After your comment, I came up with Lazareth. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,917
    nyccarguy said:

@venture

Congrats & Best of luck to you with the new Legacy! Not too often you get to hit the reset button with the same car/color combination. How are you feeling? A punch is a punch!

Speaking of, our president & CEO @breld has been unusually quiet as of late.

@corvette

What is the 2024 Punch Count so far?

I'm getting over a few bumps. nothing major.

I was surprised they had it sitting on their lot. Getting in and driving it felt better than I thought it would. The 2.4 turbo doesn't hurt!

After driving the Outback for a week, it confirmed that I'm not a SUV guy. As much as I tried to like it, I just couldn't.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    xwesx said:

venture said:

This looks familiar.

I don't think I have ever named a car, but I get it. :)

• Options
    I sometimes watched the Ken's Karpentry youtube channel. He built garages in Vermont. They always just did a slab on the grade without footings.

• Options

stickguy said:

Are the footings already laid? That’s what’s going to cost you. I built a 16’x24’ pole barn using a post hole digger to put in a bunch of concrete piers to 42”. It was pretty cheap.
    I seriously don't know what that means. I think the post below yours sounds right. They just leveled the area, put boards all around the outside, leveled out blue stone, then poured concrete on top.

• Options
    xwesx said:

Slab-on-grade is a thing these days, so I'm not sure a garage would even need footings (depends on jurisdiction); some slab-on-grade codes require monolithic pours that include a shallow footing.

Either way, I don't know that I would price a smaller size at scale with what Q noted for his slab, as it isn't typically a straight line. The company's costs are weighted heavily toward the front, so maybe $7,500 for 24x40, but likely still $4-5K for 14x26. I'd be really surprised if you can get a $2,500-3K quote and, frankly, I'd be a bit leery of the quality of work you can expect.

I admit my construction experience is over 40 years old so I may not be up on things but I didn’t know you could pour on grade in a frost area. Maybe a plain slab like a patio but for a structure the chance of heaving would make that dangerous I would think.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,297
    To whomever asked, I think we've had only eight punches so far this year.
  • Options
    If I was not otherwise occupied with going broke on houses, I would be out shopping. still kicking myself for not snapping up the killer Ridgeline trailsport lease. Could have gotten a nice utility trailer to go with it.

just don't ask me why I needed one. It was really just a cash flow scheme!

• Options
    I did start 3rd base coaching this weekend with my daughter. Her Mazda lease turns 2 in June, so she will be needing something to replace it next summer. and currently has a plan afoot to move out by us next May when their lease runs out in Boston. But we shall see.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,425
    edited April 30
    tifighter said:

@kyfdx said:

Yes. But I think an E30 coupe iX manual is always an exception. Low volume when new, few remain, very few without 200k miles.

I preferred the ix to later AWD Bimmers. I was navigator in one of Satch Carlson's Dinan modded ix coupes in the Arizona 1000 Rally back in 2007. We were doing pretty good until we hit a very big rock...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    venture said:

xwesx said:

venture said:

This looks familiar.

————————————————-
    Try as I might, I still don’t get it.

jmonroe
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,614

@corvette said:
    To whomever asked, I think we've had only eight punches so far this year.

I made the Elite Eight!

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413

Me too. I feel like we’re slow this year.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,807
    @breld is locked into leases with both the e-Tron and Tesla, and, honestly, where do you go from a Corvette as your "fun" car?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,413

Wherever our heart desires? I’m sure any of us can pretty well logic our way into anything that others may perceive as trading up, down, or sideways.

In other news, my wife told me she prefers driving the Audi. Still trying to pick myself up off the floor from that comment…Guess I’ll be driving the Tesla more along with the BMW?

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

xwesx said:

venture said:

This looks familiar.

————————————————-

jmonroe
    See the red nose on the Legacy.

• Options

I’ve had at least 2, haven’t I? Even if not counting the Toyota for resale, I got the GMC and the incoming Alfa. I don’t think I’m responsible for 25% of the punches, right?

And, yeah… @breld is really slacking. How long has it been?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 239,005
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,578

Haha, I was literally just coming here to post that very same link and say that I'll be watching that with interest.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I’ve had at least 2, haven’t I? Even if not counting the Toyota for resale, I got the GMC and the incoming Alfa. I don’t think I’m responsible for 25% of the punches, right?

Are we counting used vehicle purchases?

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,403

qbrozen said:

Are we counting used vehicle purchases?

of course!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

xwesx said:

venture said:

This looks familiar.

————————————————-

jmonroe
    ————————————————
    Man, that’s really reaching.

jmonroe
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

venture said:

xwesx said:

venture said:

This looks familiar.

————————————————-

jmonroe
    ————————————————

jmonroe
    Hey! I didn't make it up. I just got the reference. :#

• Options
    stickguy said:

I did start 3rd base coaching this weekend with my daughter. Her Mazda lease turns 2 in June, so she will be needing something to replace it next summer. and currently has a plan afoot to move out by us next May when their lease runs out in Boston. But we shall see.

I hope it works out for her. Quality of life will be 1,000x better than the city.
  • Options
    venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Reaching?! Come on....! I know it isn't the right time of year, but a red nose is a red nose....
  • Options
    xwesx said:

venture said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Reaching?! Come on....! I know it isn't the right time of year, but a red nose is a red nose....
    ————————————————-
    Where I come from a red nose at anytime of the year would yield the question, “what does the other guy look like?” :|

jmonroe
  • Options

My wife keeps reminding me that I have to pack them up and take them home in 8 months, but I can't help myself...

————————————————-
    I’m pretty sure your wife could recruit a few in here but there’s no guarantee that all of them will get to their intended spot at your home. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,407
    Q should keep his eye out for one of these.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FraefP2bdaU
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,807

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,243

My wife keeps reminding me that I have to pack them up and take them home in 8 months, but I can't help myself...

Wow, you really got into MBs. I see that Matchbox fintail too.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,157
    Interesting comparison of hybrid sedans by Edmunds. It's clear that the Hyundai is subpar, but the Honda fanboys will go for the Accord, and the Toytoa fanboys can go for the Camry, both without reservation.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/honda-accord-hyundai-sonata-toyota-camry-three-way-comparison.html

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,425
    You can really see the difference the ambient temperature makes with an EV or PHEV; In winter my electric range on the 4xe is 22 to 23 miles. Now with temps in the 80s it will go 29 to 30 miles in EV mode.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

@explorerx4 said:
    Q should keep his eye out for one of these.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FraefP2bdaU

Believe me, in 2030, when they are legal for import, I will.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,403

Me too. I feel like we’re slow this year.

I’ll have one. Unless we hit the lottery, thats it for me.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha