Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    I took the C43 in for its Service B (oil change and brake fluid change) a month early as I also wanted it looked over before I take it on a couple of longer trips. It received a clean bill of health with the exception of the front tires. I wasn't surprised as they were close to the wear bars, but I was surprised that the OEM Continentals runflats only lasted 14,000 miles. Methinks I'm going to buy a set of 18" BBS wheels and wrap them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S rubber and just buy a M-B Tirefit sealnt/inflator.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    must be getting close to my 1 year anniversary with the Maverick. Went out tonight, and it had a message on the dash that an oil change is due soon. Hitting 12 months before any miles limit (still at about 4900 miles, and will be 1 YO in about 2 weeks)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,294
    This should be a no punch year for me (famous last words).

I took the Maverick to Omaha for the annual Warren Buffett "concert" (tomorrow). It's been great, and the power tailgate lock is very convenient. It has almost 20k and will be due for another oil change soon after I get back. It will probably need tires before winter. I'm hoping I can wait long enough to score a Black Friday deal.

Here are some photos from the Museum of American Speed in Lincoln:
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 7,008
    corvette said:

I’ve always been impressed and intrigued by the Tucker. Had they been given a chance who knows how they would have influenced the auto industry.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    corvette said:

I love the Predicta.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    I'd never heard of the Predicta, it was really neat.

I love Tuckers. I think this is the sixth one I've seen in person. They were extremely innovative.
  • Options
    I built the Monogram kit when I was a kid; it's been reissued so I might build another one.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,754
    stickguy said:

Buy it anyway. You got room. But I think what you got is a much nicer truck.

Don’t think i haven’t thought about that. Yeah, what i got is better by all standards. Price wise definitely better, an older Ranger with even close to the same miles was actually MORE expensive. I guess low mile, rust-free examples are getting scarce.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,293

@sda said:
    Any word on the Audi?

Last Friday, they said it would be ready this past week. Crickets chirping all this week and we are still in the Forester for the third week.

• Options

I took the C43 in for its Service B (oil change and brake fluid change) a month early as I also wanted it looked over before I take it on a couple of longer trips. It received a clean bill of health with the exception of the front tires. I wasn't surprised as they were close to the wear bars, but I was surprised that the OEM Continentals runflats only lasted 14,000 miles. Methinks I'm going to buy a set of 18" BBS wheels and wrap them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S rubber and just buy a M-B Tirefit sealnt/inflator.

Could your participation in the stop light Grand Prix have anything to do with the poor tire wear?😇

the Pilot Sport A/S are all-seasons, right? Can’t you use the summer versions where you’re at? I had to settle for the A/S, and they’re great but I always wondered if the summer tires would have been better on a car that gets put away for winter.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguy said:

must be getting close to my 1 year anniversary with the Maverick. Went out tonight, and it had a message on the dash that an oil change is due soon. Hitting 12 months before any miles limit (still at about 4900 miles, and will be 1 YO in about 2 weeks)

So where do you stand on the annual oil changes regardless of mileage?

• Options
    my son up here had summers on his Audi S4. the tricky part was figuring out when to swap them. He had a few sketchy drives by guessing wrong and getting caught below freezing in the wet.

I actually had summer tires (Yokohama A008s, basically showroom stock racing tires with next to no tread) back in the 80s on my first new car out of college (and back then it was rare). Down in N. Jersey. And I used them year round. That was scary when it snowed. I remember once wiping out on the Palisades parkway and going right off the road, stopping just short of hitting a sign.

would have changed the tires eventually but sold the car 1st.

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,757
    Congrats on the new truck, JS. As noted, beautiful interior.

After 3 years in a row buying, 2024 shall likely be a year of rest. The A7 and M240 both went in for annual services, all came back Ok.

Of course, with the A7 having a couple of electronic gremlins in March (one a flat-bed ride to the dealer and a 15 minute computer fix), the 3/2025 expiring warranty has me contemplating a replacement. I kept the Jag XF out of warranty for 3+ years with no hits but was pretty sure it was just a matter of (short) time. Even my XK was a no out of warranty issue car.

May be hard to give up the 0% note on the A7, not to mention it is just a fabulous ride. And, not sure what would replace it, if I absolutely had to right now, I'd likely be looking at a Porsche Macan or Panamera (used), maybe a Lucid Air Touring (hey, I owned British for almost 10 years, I take chances!). I'd look at a Lyriq, too, which I can't believe I'm even considering. But every time I drive the wife's X3 it reminds me I just don't like being a bus driver. YMMV.

And I don't know if I've ever been "taken" by a dealer. I'm sure I've left $ on the table (I'm sure at least $1k, maybe 2 on the A7) but I've left with the car I wanted and still can afford the Costco food court for a nice night out.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,232

I always ran PSs on my old E55 - that era AMG had a spare though, and was not engineered for runflats.

When the wagon's tires wear out, I am undecided if I will risk it or just stick with runflats. Apparently the tech gets better with time, but there's still a little harshness to them.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,978
    edited May 4
    The tint on the Golf is bubbling in some places and it's taken on a purplish tint. Got some quotes to have it removed and they ranged from $100 to $150, give or take. Now that our heat is back full time, just not sure removing it and not replacing it is the right move. Those three days a week it sits at work, gets it pretty hot when I return to go home and that's with the current tint. Having no tint on it might make it unbearable. Have always had tint since my 1979 Datsun B-210 so not sure I'd be happy without it. My thinking right now is to just have it all removed and see how bad it really gets. If I decide later on it's just too hot, can always have it put on again. As of now, the new Kona has only the tint that came from the factory and there are no current plans to replace it.

So, have to think about this some more. Luckily, I can have it done right here in my garage like we did last time.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,826
    sda said:

Unless the TL needs something significant, no punch for me either this year. So far so good with the two recent repairs. My daughter says she loves the TL and doesn’t want something newer.

Sounds like the car and the kid are both keepers! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,150
    fintail said:

When the wagon's tires wear out, I am undecided if I will risk it or just stick with runflats. Apparently the tech gets better with time, but there's still a little harshness to them.

I got rid of the Bridgestone run flats that came standard on the ATS because I absolutely hated them. Noisy, rough riding and very darty. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons that are much better. Not run-flats, but I have a AAA membership. Hopefully I’ll never have to use it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

Sandy, in Florida, I’d get new tint put on.

• Options
    corvette said:

Sandy, in Florida, I’d get new tint put on.

I might suggest getting quotes for *replacement* of the tint that would of course require the old stuff to be removed first. I can’t imagine that would take those folks very long.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,646
    stickguy said:

my son up here had summers on his Audi S4. the tricky part was figuring out when to swap them. He had a few sketchy drives by guessing wrong and getting caught below freezing in the wet.

I actually had summer tires (Yokohama A008s, basically showroom stock racing tires with next to no tread) back in the 80s on my first new car out of college (and back then it was rare). Down in N. Jersey. And I used them year round. That was scary when it snowed. I remember once wiping out on the Palisades parkway and going right off the road, stopping just short of hitting a sign.

would have changed the tires eventually but sold the car 1st.

————————————————-
    I’ve heard it said if you don’t change your tires in the Winter, be prepared to change your skivvies. I guess you learned that lesson the hard way. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

When the wagon's tires wear out, I am undecided if I will risk it or just stick with runflats. Apparently the tech gets better with time, but there's still a little harshness to them. will get a new car.

Looks like your post has been edited by CCBA-correct. It is a new premium feature that edmunds has installed to more closely monitor your content.

Back in my leasing days I wouldn't even get close to having tire wear warranting replacement - not sure if those days will ever repeat due to costs and maybe features. I am still very happy with my car, maybe in a sweet spot as it is likely the last style of non-cladded traditional grille wagon that will be sold in this market, and doesn't rely on touchscreens. Fingers crossed it continues to be excellent, I was never a huge CCB but might really not be one now.
  • Options
    ab348 said:

fintail said:

I got rid of the Bridgestone run flats that came standard on the ATS because I absolutely hated them. Noisy, rough riding and very darty. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport all-seasons that are much better. Not run-flats, but I have a AAA membership. Hopefully I’ll never have to use it.
    It's something to think about. I've been driving for over 30 years and think I have had 3 flats over that time.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,757
    The M240 has plenty of life left on the runflats. If/when the time comes, I'm thinking of the Pilot 4s or Conti DWS06 to replace. I've got a fix a flat kit in the A7, it has go flats but no spare. If I do sell/trade the A7, maybe I'll keep the fix a flat kit.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,409

@laurasdada said:
    The M240 has plenty of life left on the runflats. If/when the time comes, I'm thinking of the Pilot 4s or Conti DWS06 to replace. I've got a fix a flat kit in the A7, it has go flats but no spare. If I do sell/trade the A7, maybe I'll keep the fix a flat kit.

I’d throw in a plug for the Bridgestone Potenza all seasons. I have them on mine and they’re shockingly very very good.

2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

Could your participation in the stop light Grand Prix have anything to do with the poor tire wear?😇

the Pilot Sport A/S are all-seasons, right? Can’t you use the summer versions where you’re at? I had to settle for the A/S, and they’re great but I always wondered if the summer tires would have been better on a car that gets put away for winter.
    The rears are fine, and the fronts only get 31% of the power anyway. I do take corners "briskly" but I have yet to hear any tire squeal. My long term plan is to put serious summer rubber on the 19" wheels. The problem with the really good summer tires is that many can't be driven in freezing temps because it will actually damage the tire.

• Options
    what is the lighter beer? I like the color. Looks like a Pilsner.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,860
    stickguy said:

what is the lighter beer? I like the color. Looks like a Pilsner.

Italian Pilsner. It is excellent.

The other one is a Cerveza Negra. Also good.

Not shown: Dry Irish Stout. Super good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

I just hate when two beers follow me. No choice but to empty them.

We all have our burdens in life. I try not to complain about them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,480

@kyfdx - you are driving the Porsche more than the GTI

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,575

Hey I know that place! Never saw the jerk with the car though.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    edited May 5
    Up here the govt has announced that all traffic stops for whatever reason this month will include a free breathalyzer test for the driver regardless of not having any cause to do so. If that Porsche was up here you’d probably need to paint a target on the decklid.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Up here the govt has announced that all traffic stops for whatever reason this month will include a free breathalyzer test for the driver regardless of not having any cause to do so. If that Porsche was up here you’d probably need to paint a target on the decklid.

I guarantee I'm under the limit... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@kyfdx - you are driving the Porsche more than the GTI

I try to..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Had you been at MadTree I might have had a request. My stock is running low.

1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

Had you been at MadTree I might have had a request. My stock is running low.

West Side is really good. The pizza place that used to be at MadTree closed up there, but they’ve just opened at West Side. (Catch a Fire) I think it’s improved, though this was my first one in a few years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

If memory serves I was there in 2019.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

The beer quality is really top-notch, there. Definitely improved over time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348 said:

Down here the government is going to mandate that cars check you for drinking and rat you out to the cops. No test required.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

The beer quality is really top-notch, there. Definitely improved over time.
    Improvement over time is usually a good sign. There's a place near us where the beer was so-so when they started out. The food was above average though and gradually the beer caught and surpassed the food.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,997

I’m down in myrtle this weekend. Suzuki is just fine after all these months. The cover didn’t do a whole lot, though. Plenty of dirt under there. Even filthy, it gets a lot of attention.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348 said:

Probable cause? We don't need no stinkin probable cause!

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,646

ab348 said:

Probable cause? We don't need no stinkin probable cause!
    ————————————————
    That sounds like a kangaroo-court will be in session shortly.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    @stickguy - how’s your son liking the Telluride, after moving on from the S4?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,712
    Punches for the @breld family will be light this year, if not a complete break.

As @michaell mentioned, our two EVs are leased, with both maturing in 2025. I’m not gonna let that Corvette go yet. We’ll see how Mrs. Breld feels once the X5 returns from the body shop. On that note, the preliminary estimate on that damage was in the $3k range, which we knew was laughable. Apparently we were right…now that the SUV is at the shop, the estimate has ballooned to five figures. I imagine the young woman who was reading her texts instead of looking ahead at the stopped traffic may have trouble renewing her insurance.

We’re also into phase II of working with an interior designer on the house…who knew that a brand new home needed so much work? We could buy another Bronco for what we’re putting into the basement…and keep in mind the basement was already finished. :o

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,529

@breld said:
    Punches for the @breld family will be light this year, if not a complete break.

As @michaell mentioned, our two EVs are leased, with both maturing in 2025. I’m not gonna let that Corvette go yet. We’ll see how Mrs. Breld feels once the X5 returns from the body shop. On that note, the preliminary estimate on that damage was in the $3k range, which we knew was laughable. Apparently we were right…now that the SUV is at the shop, the estimate has ballooned to five figures. I imagine the young woman who was reading her texts instead of looking ahead at the stopped traffic may have trouble renewing her insurance.

We’re also into phase II of working with an interior designer on the house…who knew that a brand new home needed so much work? We could buy another Bronco for what we’re putting into the basement…and keep in mind the basement was already finished. :o

What are you doing down there? I didn’t think it needed much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4