Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool.

DC area hasn't had REAL snow for a couple of years now.
  • Options
    Got an offer out of the blue, what kind of cars do they have available in South Africa?

Doubt I'll take it, but it's fun to imagine what it would be like.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited February 2013
    Speaking of that, one of the C-class on the MB lot yesterday was built in South Africa. I didn't know we were getting those.

They get pretty much everything seen in Europe, I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Peugeot 308 has a nice pano roof. Not that I'd buy a French car. One in our family was enough. :D

Edit: 308 not 306.
  • Options
    I know they have Alfas there -probably some weirdo Japanese stuff too. Also, old cars age very well there - big old car scene. Might be a fun move.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I have to think the weather would be great. Time to price 20 ft containers for shipping the Miata.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't kick that 159 out of my garage. Probably wouldn't want it out of warranty either.
  • Options
    Not as much character as older Alfas, like the Milano. Probably easier to live with, though.
  • Options
    A Milano had character alright. There's a 164 that lives a few blocks from me, parks on the street, seems to move under its own power.
  • Options
    Didn't those share a platform with the Saab 9000?

The cool thing about that older Saab at the auction was that it was a Saab through-and-through. Porsche used VW parts, Ferraris had Fiat door handles, but back then, Saabs were Saabs.

I'm sure that's boosting its value.
  • Options
    Yep, 164 and Lancia Thema are related to the Saab 9000.

Saab was in a bad spot for a long time, but GM taking the Saab out of Saab certainly sealed its fate.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    The 164 in L trim was a great looking car. The S with the tacked on skirts, not so much.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    9000 FWD turbo combined severe turbo lag and torque steer and ended up being a car that repeatedly tried to kills its owner.

Oddly, that's kinda cool. :D
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I saw an '06 E90 325xi w/ Xenons & some other goodies. 42K miles. Asking price $16,499. Not too shabby!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited February 2013
    Remember those kind of days as a kid when the city came to plow the streets out. Our driveway was a straight incline down with the 2 car garage on the right...eventually we had it widened out on the left side so the folks didn't have to back out onto any grass, why the builder didn't do this is a mystery. We had a gardener who also plowed us out during the winter as my dad had to travel into either New York City or Ridgefield New Jersey. That driveway was a bear and if it was iced just right...no one was getting up it. The folks finally drove a Toronado and an Eldorado for the front wheel drive capabilities. My mother was a particularly good driver and snow never bothered her...she could get anywhere...and I mean anywhere!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    All that weight right on the drive wheels...
  • Options
    Obviously it wasn't a slush box but not a bad price from what I'm seeing in the papers down here. To quell my desire for a nicer car, went and checked out a new smart phone today as the gps would really help me not to get lost in the future. Found just what I wanted that would be good for the technology challenged like myself. Don't want an iphone or a Windows one so I'm thinking of going with an Android. Looks pretty basic and it will allow me to vocally send texts and directions on the gps app...sounds perfect for me!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Is now listed at $15,889.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    No, the 2006 325xi IS a slushbox. The 2007 X3 I saw last night is a 6-speed stick.

I think an iPhone is the way to go. My Mom who is a COMPLETE technophobe has relatively few problems figuring out her iPhone. She even paired it with her Cayenne almost instantly.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    edited February 2013
    20 MPH average over what distance, AJ? If it makes you feel any better, my car's computer says my average speed (since I purchased it in August) is 30, and I really don't spend any time stuck in traffic.

So, even with those prolonged stints of highway driving at 60+, idling and city driving really drags the average down.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    13 mile commute, each way. Speed limits vary from 25 to 55 on my route.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The Nissan Maxima has a pano-roof option. Msrp is high but there are hefty discounts.
  • Options
    The city driving is really what KILLS your average fuel economy. I've gotten gas in the morning, and literally jumped right onto I-95, set my cruise at 70 - 75. By the time I hit The Bronx 30 miles later, the trip computer tells me I'm averaging 27 mpg. By the time I get to work which is 1.5 miles off the highway, my average mpg is down to 22.

• Options
    Free AMGs, they just impounded 6 of them:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/spanish-police-impound-fleet-mercedes-amg- s-media-test-141945127.html

I bet M-B doesn't host another event there for a decade or more.
  • Options
    My best buddy's wife works for Nissan, I should ask if they have some sort of discount plan. She offered me one back when she worked for Ford.
  • Options
    Maybe what happens when you don't bribe a police force in second world Europe?
  • Options
    I think they're being held for ransom, so that Germany bails them out.
  • Options
    Yeah, Germany hasn't paid enough yet :shades:
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    Msrp is high but there are hefty discounts.

Maxima usually leases out well too. My cousin got one for his wife and while I can't remember the details I do remember it was a good deal for a car with a sticker near 40K.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    E-mailed my friend to find out if they even have a friends/family discount program.

I sat in a new Altima at the auto show - they are HUGE! I'm also used to small cars.

Heck, the new Sentra seemed big.

Do those get a panoramic roof option?
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    How do buyers know how mechanically these vehicles are? From what I saw at the Lauderdale auction last week, they have all these cars lined up to go through the lines, so how can one look over the interior, start the engine, etc. in order to know what or what not to buy.

The local auction here has preview times/days where you can sit in the car start it up, shift it, look underneath, etc... all except drive it. I suspect it's like that everywhere. Plus some late models are offered with $100 Buyer Protection where the auction mechanics inspect it and report on any defects. If defects are found then the sale can be cancelled or price adjusted.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Does the seller mean Integra Type R? $16k is a tad steep for an old Integra :confuse:

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    The bidders at the auctions are very experienced and knowledgeable when checking on potential inventory. That said, even they make mistakes but it's just part of doing business. As long as you win way more than you lose, you make money.
  • Options
    Seriously? The last time I was in Westport the I was like a parking lot, stop...move a bit...stop again...terribly annoying to say the least! No matter if I was going into Westchester or over to Staten Island...that stop and go in the I just killed me. But it's similar to the stretch between Lauderdale and South Miami when there is an accident. I just hate it and now that I'm going into Miami more than I ever thought possible, I just dislike it more and more. Not sure why folks don't concentrate on their driving anymore but it's no longer safe out there. And all the continued construction on I-595 is no better... I missed the turnpike sign the other night while driving home. Between the traffic and horrible signage, I was way past where I needed to be and had to come home the back way spending extra and losing more time. I hate interstate construction so much!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    They make BMWs in South Africa...

But, my co-worker's son just married a South African (who he met in Korea, teaching English). He spent a couple of months in Johannesburg, last Spring... and, the security issues would keep me from there... Walled compounds with broken glass atop....

No way I'd take a family there.. His wife was amazed at the ability to just go anywhere with no thought to your safety in the US.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Something we've been following "while you were out" boomcheck. It is a black/black 2001 Integra GSR with only 13,000 miles for sale at a dealer in NJ that we saw while stickguy was looking for his current ride. This GSR was out of his price range, but back in December the dealer was asking almost $19K.

• Options
    There are many times a day that 95 here in CT is a parking lot. I leave my house between 6:20 & 6:30 every morning. I jump on at exit 6 (3.5 miles from my house) and have no problem moving with the flow. Traffic is very light. I usually take The Hutch to The Merritt at night.

• Options
    Just saw an ad on TV that has VW offering 0% financing for 36 months on Jetta TDis.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    "Do those get a panoramic roof option?"

No, on the Altima and Sentra. Regular glass sunroof only.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    Well, the TDI is the second-best engine option on that car--the first being the 2.0T in the GLI. The 2.5 liter five cylinder is only okay, and the 115 hp 2.0 model should be taken out to pasture and shot.

I loved the 2.0T in the Audi A4 I leased.
  • Options
    You must be in the Stamford area then. I still have vivid memories of getting on the Conn. pike and getting off at summer camp at Exit 63, Clinton. Though it was only about 2 hours from our home in New York, it seemed like an eternity to a kid. When I was back there in '06, I sampled some of that I-95 parking light every time I went into New York and I just wondered how folks did this daily when it snowed. Leaving as early as you do probably cuts out a lot of the traffic as most folks seem to leave closer to 7, at least down south here. I don't take 95 in the morning as the turnpike is closer to our home out west here and we have something called the Sawgrass Expressway which has an entrance/exit right outside our door. Hop on that and in less than 5 minutes I'm already on the turnpike but I do pay for the easy access. In the evening/night I'll take 95 the whole way and deal with the less traffic but more lights to get out west. The mileage works out almost the same and now the wife tells me that I can't take the mileage from home to work, only when I go from the meeting place anywhere else which will never happen. Oh well, the tax break would've been nice!

• Options
    Stopped by there today to get an aux cable so I can use the Ipod through the cars aux input. The salesguy assured me it will work in any car equipped thusly so we shall see. Also checked out phones and zeroed in on a Android unit from HTC. Does everything I want but I am holding off until my tech savy daughter can put it through it's paces. Something just made me put the brakes on the purchase, just can't explain it as this is exactly what I want. Guess it's that frugal side of my brain that kicked in. I even went to two different Radio Shack's just to get the feedback from the phone employees as they know which phones sell, which they really like and which one's should be somewhat easy. It definitely helped me decide on what I want and I figured another week or two won't make any difference anyways. Luckily the phone is free with the upgrade and signing a new two year contract, something I'm prepared to do. Many of my co-workers got their smart phones at MetroPCS, a company we have down south and after the rebate, paid $50 for the phone and $50/mth for unlimited minutes, texts and data...a pretty good deal. But since we already have 5 cells through ATT with a set amount of minutes, unlimited texts and almost 7500 rollover minutes, seems silly to change. Sure the data plan is less of an amount for the additional $20/mth, but my phone is only $9.99/mth as the wife's is the lead phone in the group at $80/mth. Luckily we do get a postal discount of 25% that basically pays all the taxes. So it really pays for me to stay.

Sometimes, I think I over think things to death and this is probably one of those times. My kid said to just "go do it" but guess what...I pay her whole bill also for her Iphone5 as I do for all the kids and wife. trying to be a good dad here as I know how tough it is out there when you are living on your 1st jobs salary.

• Options
    Yup. Ding ding ding. I live in Stamford. 3.5 miles from I95 & 1.5 miles from The Merritt.

• Options
    Figured as much from your description. Truth be told, I still miss that area and would move back if it were more affordable on my pension but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The winter cold would probably kill me and I know the traffic definitely would. I do hope to visit again one more time before I get called home so since I didn't make the 40th last year, I'll just have to shoot for the 45th or 50th.

Man, the insomnia is pretty bad again tonight and I just do not want to take my sleeping aid...am weaning myself off of it but I'm not making good progress as of late!

• Options
    Thanks for the clarification. Sounds nice but really, you need a hard core Honda fan to fork out that much for it.

I can see spending upwards of $20k on an unmolested original white Type R with low mileage and no accidents but GSR is more run of the mill and I don't think is worth that.

• Options
    I agree they were asking crazy money for it when it was 1st listed in December. I still think their asking price is sky high for what amounts to a 12 year old, used Acura that had an original MSRP of what, $23K?

Their target market is definitely a hard core Honda fan like you said. Even if they lower the price to $14K & someone ends up buying it for $12K. Where else are you going to find an old school Honda (double wishbones all around, 2600 lb, high revving VTEC motor) that you'll be able to drive for the next 10 years without issue. Just change the oil, timing belt, h20 pump...?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    So I got the info on the Nissan VPP program - basically you pay $150 under invoice for a Sentra, Altima, or Maxima.

I was able to find some better prices at Fitz, so not much reason to use the VPP deal. Too bad.

Fully loaded 4 banger Altimas are (edit) mid $24k range. The Optima has heated rear seats and the pano roof, for low $26s. A similar Accord is over $28k.
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    "and, the security issues would keep me from there... Walled compounds with broken glass atop...."

I was there in '98 for work.

VERY SCARY place...life is cheap...
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    I grew up in Westport, worked for a time in Stamford. I gave up my 12 mile each way drive (~45 minutes), mostly on I95, and started taking Metro North to Stamford, walking the 1/2 mile to the office. I used to enjoy looking out the train window at the parking lot we call I95. I'm sure that added a couple of years to my life.

But, pick your metropolitan area and you will have similar traffic nightmares. Boston, 128 (aka 3, aka 93) isn't much better. Except, unlike my previous life in FFld Cty, I have no train option.

One of my favorite (brief) car conversations I overheard on the train to work one Monday morning (circa 1986, Let's Go Mets!):

Well dressed Businessman #1: How was your weekend?
    Well dressed Businessman #2: Great! How's your new Jaguar?
    Well dressed Businessman #1: I love it! I found the best mechanic!

~30" of snow here south of Boston. My Jag didn't see daylight until this morning, dug out daughter's car, cleared driveway behind wife's car, then cleared mine. But needed snow/ice to melt in driveway before I even tried to drive on the wide, low profile, summer tires. Yeah, life-long New Englander/skier and I buy a British Mustang as my daily driver. Mid-life crisis rules!!! :shades:

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)