Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Because it relevant to US auto data. Canada used Imperial gallons way back when yes, they still put them in brochures yes, but I don't find them useful to compare to anything relevant anymore. Older people like them and dealers use them sometimes to make mileage sound better than it is.
  • frankf3frankf3 Posts: 96
    I had a great ride today!! While on vacation in York, Pennsylvania with my family my 2001 Impala LS started to give me problems. Whenever I wanted to accelerate on the interstate the gas pedal would feel spongy and there would be nothing there. Not good when you pull out to pass someone. It got so bad that I started to hear ratchet wrench type noises from under the hood. I pulled into a larger Chevy dealer in York PA (Apple Chevrolet) to get it checked out. I was amazed at their efficiency. They found that the catalytic convertor had failed and was preventing the engine from reving up. It was so bad that the engine would not allow the transmission to downshift to pass.
    While I was there getting the car repaired, I noticed they had a Black 2006 Chevy Impala SS with the 5.3L V8. The salesman asked if I wanted to take it for a drive - I told him I would love to. I think the salesman was itching to take it out also. As they put a plate on it and my family packed in, the salesman asked where we were going on sight seeing. We told him and he drove us out about 20 minutes away to find our next stop. We then switched and I got to drive it the 20 minute trip back. WHAT A SWEET RIDE!! As you accelerate you can hear the mellow rumble of exhaust. The engine is as sooth as silk. There is no perceptible difference in the number of cylinders being used as part of the "Displacement on Demand" system as it switches from 8 to 6 to 4 cylinders. As we just idled along the back roads, we could not tell it was running in 4 cylinder mode. The window sticker listed I think 24 - 28 mpg for mileage.
    Reality set in when we finished the trip. The dealer gave us a quote for our 2001 Impala LS with 54000 on the clock. They offered us 7000 for our Impala and took that off of the window sticker of the 2006 Impala SS. They said we would be one of the first people to own one on the Eastern seaboard. Although it had lots of options, 8 speaker BOSE sound system, sunroof, leather seats, heated seats, XM radio and of course the 5.3 L V8, I could not go for the deal. Maybe another one will come my way.
    The emissions warranty took care of the catalytic problem and I was on my way free of charge after just 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the dealer!
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Over the years I have owned 6 Impalas......1 almost from every generation. I have seen the transformation of this car from the getgo. I plan on buying a 2006 Impala SS in January or February. I am not concerned about the price of gas, even if it keeps going up! my 64 SS 327 (5.3 V8) gets terrible gas mileage, about 12 miles per US gallon, or 14 1/2 miles per Canadian Imperial gallon. Don't care. Not an issue.

Vanmann, for months you have posted about this 2006 Impala. You have never owned an Impala, but indicated you were looking at purchasing an LTZ or SS.......OOPS!! sorry!......but if gas prices go any higher I will now be looking at a 4 banger or Pontiac G6 your post #502. I guess if you are on a tight budget, I do understand.

Reminds me though, of someone who is an expert on a certain baseball team. Knows all the statistics, knows all the players, the wins/losses but never played, or been to a game. Never owned an Impala. Are you planning on buying a 2006 Impala? A couple hundred $$ a year difference in gas on a $30,000 car.....not an issue. The Impala has a lot more going for it (even you have stated that) then any 4 banger or Pontiac G6.

I guess you also refer to pricing always in US funds, Canadian funds are for older people. It makes it look like we are getting a better deal.

I am curious, are you in or out on purchasing a 2006 Impala?
    Although I don't think I need to be buying or own an Impala to be in this forum (or any other) as you seem to imply.. I am in fact looking at it for a replacement for my Intrigue in about 2-3 years.

My comment about the 4 banger G6 was a bit of a joke. You know.. if gas prices keeping up I may have to cut back. Haha.

I'm sorry you have taken a dislike to me for what ever reason. :confuse: I think we are both interested in the 2006 Impala and rather than critiquing my use of gallons and dollars, maybe we can discuss the car.
    Sounds like you enjoyed the car. I am looking forward to some road tests and comparos from some of the big car mags. :)
  • Showed up at Avis yesterday and there was a new '06 Impala LT in my space with 1,256 miles on it.

My first impression is that it was well put together, rode fairly smoothly and was very quiet.

Performance was O.K, brakes seemed a little grabby, the A/C and radio controls seemed unnecessarily fussy to operate. The cloth interior felt nice, but the beige color was very light shade and looked like it would show dirt fairly well over time. The glove box latch is in the middle of the glove box door door and hard to reach. One thing that bugged me was the steering wheel felt cheap - just a big circle of plastic. Would go for the leather-wrapped version myself.

When I returned it back to Avis, I pulled up right next to an '05. Seeing them side-by-side, the '06 has a much more "natural" flow to it's design than the '05. The '05 just plain looked "old" by comparison.

Anyway, I drive a Ford Five Hunderd as a company car (I'm not a huge Ford fan - I just drive it cause it's free ), and I'd say I prefer the Ford. Performance seems about the same, but the controls, layout and interior materials look and feel beter, the driving position is better and seats are more comfortable. Sound system is better in the Ford, and the overall platform feels more solid and rigid than the Chevy - I was told it's based on the Volvo, so I guess that would explain why.

My .02.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,605
    The layout that you're used to in a car affects how you perceive a different arrangement in another car. I used to have Fords and whenever I sat in GMs they didn't feel right because of a difference in their arrangements. After I owned GMs and got used to them the Fords don't feel right. I believe in both cases there are individual quirks that are not ergonomically best but are compromises.

The automakers use psychologists for their car exterior designs and I assume for their interior designs as well. I sat in an 06 Impala and it looked great and felt like things would work for me.

I like the 06 style--it does have a visual flow.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

Ford 500 MSRPs are a little more than Impala. Further, a LTZ or SS Impala would have significantly more power, 500 has no power upgrade.

You are right though, the new Impala flows much better than the 05. I'm not surprised you would find one at an Avis though, this is a high volume car. You will see them as cabs and police cars also. It's also a good thing as people can try them out. I see Camry rentals also at Enterprise and Thrifty rent a car.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    For anyone who owns or has driven the new 2006 Impala SS, is there much wind or road noise at highway speeds? How does the BOSE audio system sound?

Thanks.
  • Am I the only one who’s confused here? For the last few weeks, I’ve noticed websites/blogs list diff sets of specs for the 3500 engine. Some have said 214 @ 4000, others: 220 @ 2800. Now GM is adding to the confusion. On the US site (finally shown!), it states 214 @ 4000 and 21/31 mpg. On the Canadian site (preview only), it’s 220 @ 2800. Which is it? Do we Canadians get to have the better package? Plus, what happened to the 3500 having the Malibu’s fuel economy of 22/32 mpg? And don’t tell me it’s another metric issue between us neighbors. :)

When you click on the LTZ model on the GM site, it states 31 highway miles. On the specs section, it’s 27. I’m sick of these damn typos or are they just mind games.

Another thing I’ve noticed go awry today was when I visited the Toyota site. It appears as though the specs for ’06 Camry and Avalon’s engines have been watered down a bit. If you have time, visit their site. Incidentally, they’ve jacked up the price for the Camry LE (and no changes for 2006), #@$%. It’s either that one or Impala LS for me. If I wait too long, GM may raise the price of the base Impala as it’ll likely do well. By then the newly-designed ’07 Camry will be out. hmm….

PS. I thought the Impala would have electronic brake distribution (EBD), like on the Ford 500 and Camry; apparently not.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Especially as to the differences in Camry, this may help (I don't know if early publications for the Impala's new engine were affected by this):

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/19/A01-283759.htm
    The chevrolet.com site is probably right. Official Canadian site is not up yet for some reason. It, like other numbers were probably estimates since it's not the same 3.5L engine as you would find in the Malibu/G6. Further, you can't expect to get the same mileage as a Malibu in an Impala, the Impala is a significantly bigger car.

214hp and 21/31 sounds pretty accurate.
  • "5300 " 0-60 5.7 seconds
    these are Chevrolets numbers. I am sure when Motor trend or Carandriver test these, the numbers might vary a couple tenths one way or the other."

Thats strange because Pontiacs official numbers on the 5300 Grand Prix GXP are 5.9 seconds. Same car as Impala. Edmunds best run on the 5300 GP GXP was a SLOW 6.7 seconds. Go figure. There had to be something wrong there.
    Could be gearing to get to 5.9 but 6.7 is very slow.

GXP is nice but I think the Impala is an easier car to live with day to day. I find the new GPs to be a little cramped in side.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,964
    "Could be gearing to get to 5.9 but 6.7 is very slow."

Impala SS final drive ratio is shown as 2.93 : 1, same as the GXP.
    - Ray
    GXP driver . . .
    2016 BMW 340i
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The GXP is sportier, and certainly feels a bit smaller inside, shoulder room and seats seamed narrower, including the back seat area....not sure of the interior specs.correct me if I am wrong but the GXP tires are wider at the front then the rear?....when I took out a 2006 SS it had only 000014 on it. I did a standing start to 60 mph (100 kph) Some wheel spin and some torque steer, not too bad. It didn't seem like it came close to Chevys #'s. Nice throaty exhaust. It certainly has more grunt then my 3800 (200hp) but being brand new might be part of it. If I remember correctly before the GXP went into service didn't they originally rate it at 290 hp, then when the Impala 5.3 was announced both engines were rated at 303 hp. I could be wrong on that.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    The new Impala has side-curtain airbags but apparently no seat-mounted side torso airbags? Why not?

This is a standard and very basic safety device nowadays. Why does the car have OnStar and no side torso airbags? Because the OnStar pays a monthly fee and the airbags do not?

If this company is serious about pulling themselves out of the financial hole in which they presently find themselves, they need to get serious about really taking care of their customers.

If the new 2006 Hyundai Sonata can provide side torso and side curtain airbags (not to mention active head restraints), why not GM??
    Camry does not offer seat mounted or curtain SABs on any model except the high end XLE V6.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    GM has long had concerns about injuries to small passengers in the passenger seat resulting from side air bag deployment. See their discussion why they offer a side air bag on the driver side but not the passenger side on earlier Impalas.

This problem has been resolved for other manufacturers by "occupant classification/location" systems which can tell where a passenger is sitting, if they weigh enough, etc., and hopefully GM will catch up.

In the mean time, side curtain airbags are the most critical, although the Insurance Institute tests improved significantly when side torso airbags were added to the previously available side curtain airbags in the current generation Malibu.