Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC Problems and Solutions

Comments

• carguy79carguy79 Member Posts: 23
    This A/C thing baffles me. I lives in South Alabama and have to run the A/C 9 months out of the year. Mine is not idling rough, it is slightly higher, which is to be expected, but there is not great loss of any power. My only problem so far has been the creaking roof and some wind noise that is easily drowned out by the radio. It was hard to part with my 03 Tacoma, but this car was better than any other choise that I had.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A new Scion Owners Club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
  • jpeggerjpegger Member Posts: 3
    I've had my TC for just under two months now and have put over 3400 miles on it. I love the car and think its just about the best offering for under 20K. There is one major flaw however... The automatic transmission is never consistent with its shifts. Sometimes the car shifts perfectly and life is great! Then... without warning, it shifts like a piece of scheisse!

Scheisse shifting is:

Lagging shifts - shifts that take a long time to complete. this usually happens during moderate acceleration between first and second gear. while this is occurring, the RPM increases almost as if the tran is slipping(usually happens when after a complete stop after being on the freeway).
    Very frustrating!

Reluctance to engage in gear - This is the most frustrating characteristic because it is the most frequent. When performing city driving you're always coming to quasi-stops, such as a light that has turned green before you've fully stopped, taking a turn, pulling out around a turning car, or a myriad of other driving situations that have now become absolutly dreadful for me. When any of the above situations occur, my TC has very slow throttle responce (almost a full second!!!) before it engages in an apropriate gear for accelleration. Whats happening???? I feel this is somewhat connected to the VVT-i issues that have been plagueing you fellow manual drivers. Toyota... what is going on? Please help us! I love the TC, but this Reeeealy sucks!

Besides these problems, the Tran does other very bazzar things that i know are weird, but i don't know how to classify them.

I brought it in to the dealer... and of course she behaved like a lexus! After they wiped the egg of my face, they said "It must have been learning how i drive, but if it continues we can reset the computer". Should i let them do this? Has anyone else experienced any problems with their automatic TC?

Please help!

-Z
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    welcome to the world of fully electronically controlled cars (trans/engine/throttle). basically it is trying to figure out what it should do based on the parameters programmed in, and sometimes it gets confused for a while.

Part throttle and slow speed situations are the worst, because the ECU is trying to maximize mileage most of the time, which can keep you up a gear, and tries to avoid hard downshifts that can upset the balance in a turn.

The software is supposed to learn your style, and they can reset it to re-learn if it developed bad habits. One problem with the adaptable logic is if you normally drive one way, it gets confused when you do something different.

All just another reason to drive a stick shift!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Thanks...

Yeah... I'm wishing I got a stick, but they said it would be a two month wait! Since I needed a car ASAP, I went with the AT option. Should I have them reset the computer?

I think I confused the CPU because I drive like a Jack-[non-permissible content removed]! But, so don't most people who own this car:)

Toyota should have foreseen this!
    Have any of you seen any OEM sytle after market spoliers for the tC yet?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Genee, I had a chance to sit in a tC today (one of three that arrived and wasn't pre-sold)for a good while and played with the radio cover. I can see how you could get frustrated with it. I had to use a good "like you mean it" push on the door to open it. I tried this for about 10 minutes and when I did it softly or gently it would not open. I wouldn't see this as a "defect" per se. It just requires a constant pressure to open it up. But that's me. The car sold fifteen minutes after I got out of it.
                      : )
                     Mackabee
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    We - and the service manager - have tried gentle, hard, quick, slow, etc. Just about the time you THINK you have it figured out .. it doesn't work. Char says her long talons work ... My daughter just pushes the top in .. I just want to see if they can give me one that works 98% of the time. Now I am waiting to get the trim piece for the driver's side windshield column replaced. Mine falls off with the slightest touch.
  • axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    I picked up my tC last week. I do notice that the radio lid requires a certain touch. But, I don't believe mine needs fixing. It works pretty well now that I'm familiar with it.
  • sayawsayaw Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm going to be getting my scion tC in a month and a half or so. Thanks for all the info on possible problems with the car.

Genee, could you send me pictures of your leather interior. I made my email public so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Anyone else with a weird auto transmission? Can somebody send me photos of the leather interior?

zheathwaite@hotmail.com

-Z
    Next Tuesday will be the second attempt to have the radio lid replaced. I was told the first one was worse than the original. Today they "fessed up" that it fell apart when they opened the package and they couldn't get it back together right.
  • weav727weav727 Member Posts: 15
    I just got my silver 5 speed tC yesterday, and it is awesome. One small problem- sometimes I can't get the trunk to open! I'll push the little button or whatever it is, and it will not open. THen I'll go back 5 minutes later and it opens right up. Anyone else experience this? I think it could have something to do with trying to open it with only the driver's door unlocked, but I'm not sure. It will continue once I unlock all the doors, and then finally decide to open.
    you have to have all the doors open (2 pushes on the fob) for the trunk to unlock. If it is unlocked and you are still having issues, it's possible your button is not adjusted properly. I don't have any problems with mine.

• hc72hc72 Member Posts: 20
    I got an automatic as well. It is fine, the response is a little off sometime but I got use to it. Each car maker programs their system slightly differently, it is just matter of getting to know your car. I did notice that the pedal is very touchy. It revs up quite a bit with slight touch.

Transmission is a direct drop in from Camry, but it feels like they are programed differently. But I have not drove much. Got the car for over 2 months now, but only 140 miles. Is this some kind of record? My work is just 5 minutes down the street, and I take MAX (Portland version of above ground subway) when going downtown. I am not in a hurry. Plan to keep the car for 10 years.

Have not had vibration with AC on. However, I had my freon refilled. 1 week after getting the car. I noticed that my AC was working hard but not getting sufficiently cold. Dealer found that there is only 6 lbs of freon instead of 9 lbs. Not sure whether this could cause your problem.

Also found the shift cover trim lifted by 1/4" and had it fixed. My spoiler was off center by 1/4" as well. Other than that everything is good so far. Since I do not drive much, I made sure I checked everything (I mean everything, every button, panel gap, engine bay, fluid, trunk, spare tire, etc) and bring the car in right away for repair. The dealer fixed all the problem right away and free. That was real nice.
  • snowstopsnowstop Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have a good recommendation for winter tires for the tC? I live in Maine on a steep hill and need really good snow traction for about 4 months out of the year.

Also, should I purchase a separate set of wheels to make switch over easier as Consumer Reports recommends? If so - should I buy from the Scion dealer or someplace like VIP?

Thanks!! Snowstop.
  • markg4markg4 Member Posts: 44
    i have conti extreme contacts on my 2000 si and am very happy with their wet & snow performance. if you dont want the hassle & expense of switching 2x a year, a good all season is the way to go. check out the reviews on tirerack as i did when i chose to purchase them.

good luck!
  • tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    I too have expressed concern with wet/winter driving (Michigan). The reviews and ratings I've seen on the Potenza's are not encouraging.

TireRack recommended the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. Ratings and reviews are far better than the Potenza RE92's for wet, dry, snow, wear, and ride.

Still waiting for my tC to come in. In the mean time I am canvassing tire dealers to see what kind of 'trade' deal I can make to get the Pirelli's on the day of delivery. Right now it looks like I will take quite a hit on the cost even though the Potenza is priced higher. They are all telling me that they have to treat the tires on the car as used. Sound right?

Flipping a coin now to determine if I should use the money on a couple more accessories and worry about the tires later (take a chance on their winter performance).
    If you live in serious snow country, you should seriously consider snows on dedicated wheels. You will be limited to an all-season tire on the stock wheels, and no 45 series tire is going to do very well in snow. THe OEMs are not known for snow traction either. You also run the risk of trashing the nice alloys in the winter.

Check out tirerack.com for advice. They do a huge business with snow tire packages, and know what fits. There is also a thread on Edumnds for them (ask Connor).

Most people get the snows on steel wheels w/hubcaps. You can also do a -1 and get 16" wheels/tires with a taller sidewall (aka higher profile), which will work better in snow and be lots cheaper.

Michigan winters can be a bear but living in the Detroit (Urban/suburban) area roads are cleared rather quickly and the realistic problem (for the most part) in this context is wet/slushy roads rather than deep snow-covered ones.

Even with that considered, I have yet to find anyone say anything positive about the OEM tires in this regard. All-seasons would realistically serve the purpose for me.

I guess I'm looking for someone to legitimately come to the defense of the Potenza's in which case I may leave them on and take my chances or flat out deride them and push me over the edge to replace them immediately despite the cost.

There is nothing available on the performance of the tC in winter conditions - car, tires or otherwise. I suppose we early owners will be the test market.

Thanks for the insight
    I agree that you are NOT going to get a great winter tire in a 45-profile. Think about another set of wheels - 16 inch - and put winter or (depending on your budget) Michelin HydroEdge on - 88K treadwear, extremely high ratings for water and snow! (Your 215/55 R16 will have almost the same diameter as the stock package.)
  • snowstopsnowstop Member Posts: 3
    Thanks guys! Really helpful responses. So, lets say I buy dedicated wheels w/covers for the winter (or all-season) replacement tires. Genee recommends 215/55r16 as the winter package. How's this sound to everyone/anyone else. I don't know what's appropriate for the tC if I'm not replacing with exactly the same size tire as it comes with.
  • ladner1ladner1 Member Posts: 1
    I've also had my tc for about a week. I put about 105 miles on it before I discovered the same problems with third gear. It makes me sick. But on the brighter side of things they're going to replace my transmision. I also hear a whining noise coming from the engine when I accelerate higher RPM's, especially in second gear. Does anyone else have these problems?
  • taxexempttaxexempt Member Posts: 1
    Ss long as the overall circumference of the wheel and tire is very close to or the same as stock you will have no problems. I.E. going from a 215/45/17 to a 215/55/16. tire manufacturers have tire circumferences listed on thier websites.
  • sdotsdot Member Posts: 1
    I dont have the problem of popping out of 3rd gear and i have about 2200 miles on my car. However i do have that problem of that whining or whistling noise. It happens to me with almost every shift (short chirp), and then when i am in 5th and depress the gas to a certain level it will maintain the whine until i release the gas or push it in more. The whine in 5th recently started happening, but the quick chirp in between shifts has almost always been there. Has anyone else heard this noise?
    Not that I know of, but it's entirely possible that my car does it but I don't recognize it.

The only issue I had (which seems to be much less noticeable lately) with shifting was the holding of revs when upshifting. I'm thinking that is either was related to the hot temperature i nthe summer, or maybe there really is a learning curve to the software.

Oh, it continues. New install is no better, but - thankfully - no worse. That makes number three if we count the original. It would be nice if Toyota/Scion would just admit it is a bad design rather than pretend it will go away if they ignore it. I will say the auto-dimming mirror is poorly designed. The HomeLink buttons wrap around the bottom of the mirror so you hit them while adjusting the mirror. Not good if you are in the garage backing out. I guess I am a slow learner ... have had the door come down on me twice. Fifty years of bad habit is hard to break.
  • shiftershifter Member Posts: 10
    Sorry to hear that you have experienced the same problem. I got my replacement transmission last week which is supposed to be an updated transmission. I have had no problems with the new transmission (after 200 miles) and it appears to be rock solid in 3rd gear.

Our 1st transmission made a rattling noise in 3rd gear. No such problem with the new transmission. Lets hope these new transmission are solid. Good Luck
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Scion has discovered that most complaints are due to a loose nut behind the wheel of the tC!
                             ; )
                             Mackabee
  • asolomiasolomi Member Posts: 4
    After 7 weeks and 1 day my Flint Mica tC (auto, very few options) has arrived! The dealer says he has to send out for tinting. Hw says the tinting will be on the outside of the glass. I thought tinting was on the inside????? Anybody know anything about this? Thanks in advance for any responses. David
    I have had two sets of windows tinted recently. Both were with film on the INSIDE of the glass. I made sure that I was dealing with a long time installer and the film was guaranteed not to scratch or peel. Outside of the glass tinting is a spray.
  • lbrookslbrooks Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am planning on purchasing a tc very soon. Is there anything I should particularly ask the dealer or point out? Any problems, concerns or recalls i should know or ask about in order to get the most? Please help me let me know anything I should know.. and as far as leather could someone please send me a pic of a leathered tc??? Thanks guys!
    =)
    I had black katzkin leather installed. It was worth every penny. Here's a link to the pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/700789
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    leather job on your tC? It makes it look so comfortable in your interior. Very cushy looking. If it was affordable to have done it might be worth it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I paid $1095. It is very comfortable and I'm glad I did it. The dealer wanted $1500. I by-passed them and went straight to their installer. By cutting out the dealer I saved $400.

Try www.katzkin.com or www.classicsofttrim.com and search for installers in your area.

Another owner, Genee, had an opal color installed to match the headliner. That color was real sharp too!
    My Classic Soft Trim leather was $400 under what the dealer(s) wanted for the package and the "bun warmers" were $200 less. When I tried katzkin they would not talk to me because the car was new. I didn't think about getting their installer's name and address and trying anyhoo. It appears that you are DEFINITELY going to be WAY ahead by going to the installer directly.
    Having vast experience in window tinting and the auto accessory business. There is not a window film that is applied on the outside. Would be impossible to have the quality needed as well hiding the cuts. Your tint will be on the inside of the vehicle. Also an experienced installer should be able to do your back window in 1 piece vs seaming it together along the defroster lines.
    You can view the interior at
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/704924

The line on the right front seat is a reflection from somewhere. It is NOT a seam!!
    Recalls? Your buying a Scion not a FORD !!!

As you scan the tC sites you will see a few 'problems' mentioned. The most serious that I have read about is 3rd gear on the sticks, otherwise nothing major, most deal with personal preference and tolernce levels. For instance, I have read a lot about the roof popping and the radio cover - I have no problem with either.

Have had mine for only a few days but it has thus far surpassed my expectations.
    I have one of the first ones in the country I believe (bought 7/6 IIRC), or at least the east coast. The only problems I have had a very minor, or stuff I don't consider to be a problem (like the radio lid, it's a "feature"). A little bit of roof pop and a small rattle is about it. Nothing functional (I have a stick and no problems with 3rd gear).

Even the little quibbles have probably been addressed at the plant by now, so it's quite possible that future owners won't have any issues to complain about.

The powertrain s/b well sorted out (pretty much right out of the Camry), and the rest of the car is really pretty simple compared to some stuff you can get now. Toyota pretty much has power windows, locks and ABS figured out by now.

• stirfriedmicestirfriedmice Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of my new Scion tC on Oct. 11 at 4:00pm. By 11:00AM Oct. 12, it was in the shop to have the transmission replaced because of the slippage from 3rd gear. The problem started at about 10:00am on the 12th.

That's...18 hours from delivery to failure. Can anyone beat that time? ;)

On the plus side, the dealer has been pretty good about this. They've provided a rental car for me and should have the transmission replaced within the next two days.

Still, bloody frustrating. A new car should last at least ONE day!
  • jcfjcf Member Posts: 35
    Amazing. My sales rep emailed me yesterday here in Thailand that my tC just came in. I was hoping that my later unit model might miss the transmission problem too, but you've blown those hopes.

It is a hassle and unacceptable. But, as long as they provide a free rental car and diligently fix the problem, we'll still hopefully be happy with the tC choice.

In San Diego, in just 1 month, I saw 2 diferent Mazda 3's being towed off the side of the road. That made me feel better after barely choosing the tC over the 3. Hope things can stay that way.
    the good (?) thing about the shift pop issue is that it seems to be a flaw from the beginning, so you notice it right away and can get it fixed. Heck, just take a longer pre-purchases shake down ride, and you may find out if your car has the problem before you buyit (or not).

Hopefully for the majority of folks with no problem, it doesn't develop over time. That is, it either has it or it doesn't.

• andypurcandypurc Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

I am from California and I have a scion tc I bought on July 3, 2004. I brought my scion back to two dealerships in the sacramento area trying to fix the sunroof problem. Does your sunroofs pop when you turn and the body or the car flexes? I just wonder if the popping is a design flaw and there is no way to fix it. It is really irritating and if no one can fix it, this will be the last toyota I will ever purchase.
  • shiftershifter Member Posts: 10
    Since I have had the new transmission installed I have had no problems (500 miles so far). In fact, I road home in traffic the other day and it was in 3rd gear most of the way without incident.

The problem seams to have affected only a few vehicles. My dealer knew of a person in Florida with the transmission problem and I know of one other person on this site who has experience the problem.

I have to agree with Stickguy, you will know if you have the problem right away. The dealers are good about fixing the transmission and the new transmission seems to work fine. Its a great car with Toyota / Lexus quality, so don't let this issue scare you off.
    mine makes what I consider to be a very slight creaking (or pop I guess) noise if it is really "twisted", such as when cutting it sharp turning out of a sloped driveway.

I believe there is a known fix (might be a TSb by now), that is at least known at the corporate level. It involves backing out the screws that hold the roof assembly, putting loctite on them, and tightening them up. Can't vouch for wether it works though.

To me, it's not a big deal, just a consequence of the nice big glass roof. It's also barely noticable to me, but YMMV.

When I take it in for the first oil change, I will have them attempt the fix, along with a couple of other minor things, none of which impact the functioning of the car.

• viper128viper128 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem about hearing the "whining" or "whisteling" noise when my car is in second and third gear. I have had my car for one week now and it makes me nervous with the Scion TC being a new product.
    My car still drives very smooth I think, but the noise is not something I would have expected.
  • buckeyecasebuckeyecase Member Posts: 8
    I'm pretty sure the TSB for the popping roof is TSB NV010-04. I still haven't heard it on mine (575 miles).
  • kabohamikabohami Member Posts: 1
    We just got our tC on Wednesday and we are very excited!

For the people who commented on the difficulty of opening the stereo cover, just to let you know our experience: I drove the car home from the dealer (and my husband got to drive the Escort, poor guy) and I had no problem opening and closing the stereo cover.

My husband drove the car later, and when he came home he asked me how to open the stereo as he couldn't get it to open. So I opened it for him, and closed it, and then he tried, and couldn't. So I showed him again, and he tried and failed. This went on for a while. Finally he got it! So, for those people who are having a tough time, it might be that you just need to have the right touch!

What a great car! Now we just have to work out who gets it each day! (Neither of us wants the Escort, imagine that)

Kabohami
    I actually closed and opened my stereo cover today. WOrked fine too. I only did it to show someone who hadn't seen the car before.

Now it will just stay open all the time again.

This discussion has been closed.