Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura RDX

Comments

• Options
    bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    Yes, there's always the option to add lower stump pulling gearing.

But if you start with a really low gear, and end in a tall gear, you can't simultaneously have the ratios be closely spaced without increasing the total number of speeds in the transmission.

For example:
    5 closely spaced gears for normal driving up to but not including highway cruising
    + 1 speed for the tall highway gearing
    + 1 more speed for the extra low stump puller
    = 7 speed AT.

Bruce
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "...and the LR2 got second."

Well, there you go. That'll teach you to read MT! :P ;)
  • Options
    "...7 speed AT."

Yeah, that's ok too! ;)
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I will take 2nd place thank you very much. Depending on your driving style and your needs I can see the RDX or the X3 beating the LR2 it is just personal opinion at that point. I think the ride in both the RDX and the X3 is way too stiff for a SUV but that is just me.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It's all just personal opinion.

There are many different methods for ranking vehicles. Sometimes they lead to odd results.

In this case, I suspect MT decided that factors A, B, and C reflect the most popular attributes for the class. This becomes the "standard" for evaluation. Then they ranked the vehicles according to that standard and the RDX came out on top.

However, they recognize that not all buyers/readers fit the standard. So, instead of 2nd place going to the vehicle which finishes a notch lower in the standings, the #2 slot goes to the vehicle which meets an alternative standard based on E, F, and G.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I love the idea of 7 speeds, now let's work on getting the costs down to a reasonable amount. ;)
  • Options
    dexterhavendexterhaven Member Posts: 9
    My local dealer informed me that all 2007 RDXs on their lot have been sold and that they do not plan to see any 2007s at this point. Apparently 2008s are on their way in August? I thought Acura was having a tough time selling the 2007s?
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    They cut back on production to better match demand. I believe 07 production stopped in March.
  • Options
    Got my copy of MT last night.

There's not a great of editorial in the article, but the bottom line is that the RDX won based on it being the sportiest and the least expensive (without feeling cheap). They simply felt it was the most fun.

The LR2 placed second because it has lots of Rover-style panache and it did everything else well enough to avoid stinking.

The X3 (non sport) placed third despite putting up numbers that were competitive with the Acura. Apparently its $47K+ price tag made the editors gag. I believe their advice involved an X5 for similar money.

They had nothing significantly positive to write about the MKX from Lincoln.
  • Options
    johnny98johnny98 Member Posts: 88
    fyi - the IIHS has a new test for head restraint safety. The RDX is one of the safest SUVs in this test. The X3 is one of the worst.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070703/ap_on_re_us/crash_tests
  • Options
    Personally, I prefer the BMW panache, over the Rover-style panache. BMW has better pedigree, IMO.
  • Options
    And they expect you to pay for it too. 7,000-10,000 USD more for a comparably equipped X3 compared to a loaded LR2.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    And yet... the BMW is cheaper to lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yup there is 7,000-9,000 dollars of lease support behind the X3 mainly in the form of inflated residuals.

You should never buy a BMW anyway at least not new. They put too much lease support behind their bread and butter models. I can see buying a M edition car but that is it.
  • Options
    Right on!
  • Options
    True. A BMW is an excellent rental option. However, you'd have to fit the model for leasing if that's going to make sense. For example, I put way too many miles on my cars. Where's the sense in owning "the ultimate driving machine" when you have ask permission from the odo before leaving the garage?
  • Options
    The test is accurate, but not necessarily a valid measure for safety.

In the IIHS test, they remove the seats from the vehicle and place them on a crash sled. This eliminates any protection that might've been engineered into body of the vehicle. It also does not take into account whether or not an occupant's head might contact the B pillar either directly or on the rebound.

It's nice to see which vehicles score well and which ones score poorly, but I take this particular test with a fist-sized chunk of salt.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    That's true... if you aren't a good candidate for leasing, then a good lease price means nothing..

In the $30K-$50K price range, especially with imports, I'd say leasing captures nearly 50% of the market.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    That is about right although it of course varies when you throw other demographics in.
  • Options
    Interesting, because in their other tests they mention when the head comes in contact with the glass and pillars, in fact they put a lot of emphasis on those very things!
  • Options
    Correct. In their other tests, the IIHS sacrifices a whole vehicle to get their results. Not so with the rear impact.
  • Options
    schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    Does anyone know if the RDX turbo 2.3 engine has a timing chain or a timing belt. I consider this a key factor in determing what vehicle to buy - I am hoping it is a chain. Thanks.
  • Options
    Chain. Even the CR-V uses a timing chain.

Can you verify, varmint?
  • Options
    Thanks - I hope this can be confirmed. I know the CRV has a chain (same engine as the Accord 4, whereas Accord V6 is belt). Since the CRV is (I believe) 2.4 liter I wasn't sure the 2.3 turbo was the same basic engine. Hope varmint can confirm, not that I have any reason to doubt you - a second opinion is always comforting. lol!!
  • Options
    I think honda went to timing chains for all their 4 cylinder motors a few years ago.
  • Options
    Details here.

They tend to be noisier, but they last longer.

The RDX's engine is a variant on the K series, which is the four cylinder used in the CR-V, TSX, RSX, and others.
  • Options
    Varmint-
    Thanks - great link. I am happy it is a chain - noise seldom bothers me and I've had them - my 02 Altima for example. I am driving a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro with the 6 spd automatic. Lease is up 9/30 so I test drove an RDX (twice) and was blown away by how much smoother the engine and transmission are! When I got back in my A4 the "normal" engine vibration at idle and the lurching and hesitation on launch seemed even worse. I am now 90% certain it will be 2008 RDX. :-)
  • Options
    brizeybrizey Member Posts: 48
    Bought a 2007 tech a month ago. Love it so far.

For the record, I think the turbo engine is great. I have never been impressed with the current crop of high specific output V6's. Lot's of gaudy horsepower numbers with mediocre real-world performance. They all lack low end torque, which the RDX has in spades.
  • Options
    bmulberrybmulberry Member Posts: 29
    The RDX is near the top of my list for replacement of a lease expiration this month. I was holding out for attractive lease pricing, but July didn't bring them :cry: . Now I need to decide to buy it or move on to another choice of cars (can't engage in a lousy lease).

So the question...does it make sense to buy an 07 now? And are current owners happy specifically with noise issues I've heard of and gas mileage. Will the 07 be worth significantly less in 5 years than the 08s? So used to leasing that I feel I need to think of future value when buying.
  • Options
    robo84robo84 Member Posts: 3
    I think you may want to check with your Acura dealer, but I saw a lease special on the 2008 RDX base model ($399 month).

The 2008 also has some more features standard now from the 2007 model.

Just thought you should know...
  • Options
    They already have information, and a lease special, on the '08's? :surprise:
  • Options
    I got quoted yesterday an MF of .00206 and residual of 58% for an 08 Tech 36 months 15k miles.
  • Options
    sharkbitesharkbite Member Posts: 4
    Could you let me know the details of your quote? Thanks
  • Options
    tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    Can someone outline all the changes for the 2008 RDX versus the 2007 model? Thanks!
  • Options
    I didn't have him translate to a payment because I knew that I would do myself. Use the lease caluclation and those numbers.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    08 specs are on the Acura website, have a look for yourself.
  • Options
    Looks like the major addition is memory function for the driver seat. It appears still no power passenger seat.
  • Options
    frog22frog22 Member Posts: 24
    The 2008 RDX has arrived...my dealer just got 3!
  • Options
    kaefkaef Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone knows the sizes of the all season mats? Can they acutually cover the area under the gas pedal?
    The original mat is way too skimpy.

Thanks.
  • Options
    No, the all season mats do not cover the area under the gas pedal. Maybe there is a safety issue with the mat slipping and interfering with the gas pedal.
  • Options
    carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    In two separate vehicles I've had (one '93 Civic, one '97 F150) the accelerator pedal got caught in the mat. (Yes, I admit I have been known to floor the pedal a little. Okay, a lot. :blush:) The Honda was a stick, so it was instinctive to push in the clutch pedal while the engine banged on its 7200-rpm redline and I fixed the mat. Calming down the pickup was more, uh, interesting...

Anyway, just thought I would share my experiences since they might be similar to the reasons for the mat design.

-c92
  • Options
    casolorzcasolorz Member Posts: 88
    how much have you guys towed with your RDX? I know its rated 1500 lbs but I am wondering if anyone has towed anything past that?
  • Options
    happyephappyep Member Posts: 2
    I just have my new RDX Tech for a month. It is fine. MPG is around 21-22 with 70% highway. But at the high speed, saying more than 65mph, I could here the windy whining noise from driver's door, just like it is not sealing well. But I drove in the rain one day, no problem. Anyone has the similar experience. So what's the problem it may be?
  • Options
    Maybe some wires loose inside your mirror?
  • Options
    happyephappyep Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Looks like I need to bring the car to the dealership sometime. Actually on the passenger side, there is similar noise, just less annoying. I was thinking it might go away later. But seems not.
  • Options
    afifafif Member Posts: 10
    Has Acura improved the road noise on the 2008 RDX compared to 2007?

Thanks in advance-Afif
  • Options
    I bought the 2008 in the beginning of August.. both my daughter and I agree that the road noise is less in the 2008....we test drove an '07 and that had quite a bit more road noise.....however, it is not as quiet as a big old Cadillac!
  • Options
    Just drove my '08 RDX from White Plains, NY to Albany,NY, 340 miles rt and mostly on the thruway and according to the mpg reading I was getting between 23-25mpg...I thought that was impressive!
  • Options
    kojunekojune Member Posts: 8
    Attention: Atlanta Buyers,
    I found Nalley Acura to be very unprofessional and a liar. First, they tried to sale me the car above MSRP and then tried to add $1000.00 for “protection package.” Do not I repeat do not buy from Nalley Acura in Atlanta. I purchase my 2008 RDX W/TECH (Black on Taupe) from Baranco Acura for 34,400.00 price included the $670 destination and “protection package.” I would definitely recommend anyone buying an Acura to go there. My sales representative was awesome and he was very, very professional. Contact me and I give you his info. I did not purchase a car from Sutton Acura, but they had similar deals. They to were extremely professional. The only reason I did not purchase from them is because they are located in Macon. Ed Voyles Acura were not very professional either. They also tried to over price and told me I have to pay for a protection package
  • Options
    kojunekojune Member Posts: 8
    I got my 2008 Acura RDX with TECH (Black on Taoupe.) From Sons Acura 10/04/07 for a price of $34,400 + tax, reg. It was a smooth purchase transaction and a great deal. Topp Phipps was awesome he made the process smooth, unlike Nalley or Ed Voyles Acura. My hubby and I are loving and enjoying the car! Claire in Atlanta.