Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    dfochtdfocht Member Posts: 6
    :) If you don't want those water spots, do what I do. Use the Mr. Clean no dry car wash system. This thing really works great. Not one single water spot on any part of my 2006 Sonata. None on the glass, none on the black trim and none on the paint or chrome. I think you will find that it takes care of the problem :D
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    Boltman, this may sound funny but you can try a small dab of gas on a rag to try to remove the water spots. Be sure to have a bucket of water and dishwashing soap on hand to remove the gas residue. Than wax that area.

As for your swirls, try Meguiars number 7 show car wax and this may help with your swirls. It will also make your car look like the paint is sitting behind a glass covering.

Now in regards to the service manager, I just had to laugh at his comment. How does he know the mineral content of the water used to wash the cars. I find it hard to believe that a dealer uses distilled water to clean their cars being that cars just sitting on a car lot gets dirty which would require them to be cleaned often thus resulting in a huge water filtration bill. In addition to there being something called weather which changes by the minute and can result in various mineral contents being distributed over a vehicles exterior and interior. The price you got on your car was great but I would be very cautious about the service department.
  • Options
    skyler01skyler01 Member Posts: 11
    Boltman,
    I have had my Sonata since May 30, now with about 4500 mi. I did not pay much attention to early gas mileage, but over the last two tanks I have gotten about 24.5. That is with a good bit of highway driving, but also with high A/C usage. I will be driving from NJ to Ohio this weekend, so I will see what pure highway driving will do.

I too love the MP3 feature. I have no problem with artist and title showing up. These items come from the MP3 "tags" embedded within the file, and not from the directory or file names. When I rip from CD to MP3, I use Exact Audio Copy and Lame. EAC does the ripping, and also does a database lookup to get Artist, Title, Year, etc. It uses Lame to encode to MP3 and also sets the tags. Alternately, you can edit the tags manually using MP3 Tag Studio. Here is a good guide to MP3 encoding: http://mp3.radified.com/. MP3 Tag studio is here: http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/.
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    "A bunch of scratches showing up under the lights if you look just right."

Most darker colored cars are like that and you will never 100% eliminate all of those little fine scratches. That is why many people don't favor the darker colors because they show almost every flaw in the paint surface under the lights. I would NOT let the dealer buff the car... that might be a huge mistake if the person doing the work doesn't know what they're doing. You could end up with more scratches and swirls than you started with. Just turn the lights out in the garage and you'll be fine! :)
  • Options
    boltmanboltman Member Posts: 85
    Bob,

I am a big fan of touchless car washes and in the past used them on all my cars. Actually I was rather lazy with car washings on my past two vehicles. Maybe once a month on the Windstar and evert three months or so on the Contour. Yes "wash me" was a pretty common sight on my cars. Kinda surprises me how much I've changed my thinking now owning a dark car.

When I drove home my new Black LX I knew from the start that I would have to take on the job of cleaning it. I don't trust the touchless guys on a Dark car becuase there is NO WAY they can be as careful as you would be yourself if you take the time.

I love the way my car looks when clean and plan to keep it at least 10 years. I did as much research as I could on the internet so helpfully it pays off in long term care for the finish.

I have come to the realization that micro scratches are inevitable on Black and that I'll never get them all so I'm not worried... like I said just standing there without a flashlight you cannot see them!
  • Options
    gmctruck...

Thanks for all the great tips!
  • Options
    dcibrando...

Isn't it crazy! I mean spending 24K and already having scratches (under certain lighting). Like you said they probably were ther from the dealer to begin with!

Guess we are just joining the club of dark car owners!

But you have to admit they look AWESOME when washed and polished!!!

Love the Deepwater Blue!!! That was my second overall choice next to Silver originally (first in looks, silver easier). But now tht I have BLACK it is my favorite! The Black and the chrome... priceless.

BTW what interior did you get?
  • Options
    dfocht...

Thanks for your tip! Well after buying NXT and Zaino I think I'll stick with what I've got and just make sure to pay extra attention to the "sensitive" areas. Thanks.
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    haha actually my first choice was silver until I saw the deepwater blue and how much the chrome and shine comes out on that one (and black) compared to the silver. Silver is a lil more dull when light hits it and it doesn't stand out as much. The black and deepwater blue ones just take your breath away when they shine!

Hyundai really did an awesome job on the paint with these cars. Very smooth and shiney surface!

I got the grey leather interior w/ the metalgrain look trim
  • Options
    Fezzy...

The gas tip didn't work for me. I may try the Meguires after I've played with Zaino for a while. Thanks
  • Options
    skyler...

Hopefully I'll be around your MPG later on. Thanks for the MP3 tips I'll check them out.
    Do I have to re-rip all the CD's ???
  • Options
    rrcrrc Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for all the information, but are you guys married or employed?:) I hate to think what is going to happen when you get that first ding. Glad you like the looks - they are growing on me - I'm very happy with my 02 but the power and handling improvements have my attention. We also have a black MB - it gets dirty and then I wash it, but I'm well past the microscratch stage.
  • Options
    The MP3 music listings use the MP3 tag for the information. If you are looking for a good free converter use itunes or Media Monkey. If you want to spend a little money you can also use Nero. I find that these are pretty good when it comes to converting music to MP3's. It's not the fact that the CD's are home made because it is rare to almost impossible to go to the store and purchase an MP3. The main place that you can obtain MP3's online are from other people that have converted them.

Bolt please keep us updated on the MPG. I am looking at the V6 for the gas mileage and power. My current 15.5 highway isn't that great.
  • Options
    " I hate to think what is going to happen when you get that first ding."

It's called "selective parking"! :D Us anti-scratch/anti-ding Zaino freaks know where to park and like to walk alot! Just think of the health benefits of walking and all that arm action we get washing and putting more coats of Zaino on our ride. :shades: Who needs a treadmill?
  • Options
    rcc..

Married and employed... It's just a phase I go through. My wife tolerates it as she is usually asleep or gone when I post. Plus she knows what great deals I get by doing it. The internet is great.

My other forum vices... Chargers, LG washer/dryers, RCCL cruises, synthetic oil, Prius or now the Sonata... I seem to get hung up for a while. Then I get better! Except for the Chargers (happens every year been posting since 1994).

Anyway what a great way to get information on a product, I always enjoy reading the posts with minute details because I gain a lot of knowlege through them. So i try to do the same.

As for the first DING already happened... I was up in LA and parrellel parking in a fairly tight spot. Had my wife get out to guide me in. After about a 10 point turn I was parked great. However I must have barely touched the cars (behind me) license plate screw three times becase there are three (minor) half moon cresents in my bumper. OMG was I mad at my wife! She was looking front end but not back. Oh well... I got over that one. At least my car has been branded if I need to pick it out in a parking lot!

The cresents don't bug me as you have to really look for them to see them!

Just FYI... This car is hard to judge the rear when parking. It just dissapears from all mirror views. So be careful. I think a rear backup sensor would have helped a lot. We love this feature in our Windstar.
  • Options
    I am thinking the same thing about the dings...

I know two people that used to park their car out in the open area of the parking lots away from other cars in order not to the get dings. This only lead to bigger dings.. Really big dings.. Result of someone cutting across the parking lot not paying attention and hitting their cars...

I'd settle for a little door ding before a smashed front end...
  • Options
    At least the non-metallic black paint should be easier to cover up the dings with touch-up paint when needed. I don't mind walking either for a larger spot but I won't park in the boonies. To many run away grocery type carts out there (see it happen all the time).
    Ouch!
  • Options
    That's why you park close to the light poles or other permanent barriers like the cement parking dividers or sidewalks away from the building. It's true that you can't prevent everything. I do look for "stray" shopping carts and will push them to their designated area in the parking lot if necessary. Those things can really move fast with a strong enough wind. But there are always people around who are lazy and could care less if they cause damage your car due to their careless actions.
  • Options
    chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    great that you like the car. I really wanted one but now am going towards the camry LE cause the gas mileage in the sonata just doesn't seem like the window says. The engine tach is 20% higher than the accord/camry and I just don't see the 4 cyl getting anything near 33 on the highway. My accord (4 cyl, exl, 2004), just got 40-41 on the highway and some city dropped the trip to 36 overall for 1300 miles. I think hyundai improved significantly but needs to bring it up another notch or two. The V6's sound like it just isn't getting good mileage. Gas prices going up and such. It's crazy cause I spend $200 a month on the lottery but don't want to spend $20 a month more in gas for the sonata vs. the camry. I know, like my wife said, I need professional help. Also, the one dealer came down 300 off of MSRP but won't come anymore. I say keep it then and I'll get a camry. Still sitting in the middle but will decide soon.
  • Options
    I agree with you on parking next to something that may act as a barrier but personally I like to take my chance with the door dings. I say this because one day I was waiting on a friend for lunch and this guy was driving in the parking lot on the phone and slammed into the light poll (mid-day) in the parking lot. The pole was not damage because from the ground to about 3-4 ft. high it was surrounded by cement but the navigator did need a new fender, bumper and hood work.

The guy jumped out looked at his truck cursing and drove off. I would have hate for this to be someone's car that he slammed into, especially mines.
  • Options
    rick1rick1 Member Posts: 12
    How about the quality of the sound system? We have a Bose in our MB, and it is awesome. The stereo in my 02 Sonata is adequate, but only that. How good does the option 3 system w/ subwoofer sound from you owners driving around with one as opposed to a test drive? thanks
  • Options
    skyler01skyler01 Member Posts: 11
    Boltman,

You do not have to re-rip all your CD's. You can use MP3 Tag Studio to add the information to existing MP3's.
  • Options
    I think it sounds pretty good! It is a lot better than I am used to having and the subwoofer definately increases the thump. I think they limit the volume to the level the speakers can take without distortion. Plenty loud for me but I'm sure not a loud as some of the premier sound systems out there. This combined with a quiet car is pretty nice!

Just finished using Nero to record 5 CDR's of my I Tunes library. Kinda wish I didn't sell my entire collection (minus the Pink Floyd) of CD's (about 150 of them) to my neighbor for $50 a few years back!! Up until now it's been AM talk radio for me... but with the capabilities of this new MP3 system I am rediscovering the joy of music on a good sound system. Maybe I can try to borrow back (and rip) my old CD collection.

Using podcasting has been neat... so much out there to download! Updates daily.
    Sufice it to say i'm very happy with the sound system.
  • Options
    Cool thanks I'll try it.
  • Options
    Here's an UPDATE on Tank #3 (7/20/05)
    (Note: Tank #2 is the link at the top of this message)

Second full tank readings (with resets)...

Mostly city (10 mile commutes one way to work 1/2 city 1/2 highway, local trips, one longer highway trip of 70 miles wth some traffic )

Miles driven 285.7
    Gallons 16.072 (Drove about 12 miles after the light came on)
    MPG (actual) 17.776
    MPG (trip computer) 17.6
    Price $2.499 per gallon regular ($40.16 total)
    So. California prices and this is a consistent lower price 76 station in San Diego county

So actually I did slightly better in reality vs. using the car's computer estimate.

Keeping my fingers crossed that after break in it'll get better MPG. Have about 900 miles so far on the car. Maybe in the near future Mobil 1 will improve it I'll be doing the synthetic switch very soon. I'll Keep you updated.
  • Options
    Skyler... thanks for the MP3 Tag Studio tip! It helped a lot.

Now I get Track then Artist and Album then Song. I can use the text button (first two clicks) to get all the same info in conjunction with the right dial. Still can't get Album or Artist to show up by toggling through the text button (just blank entries). Oh well I'm happy with what I've got... thanks
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just got back from the Sonata Preview at my local Hyundai dealer. Since I received two invitations, I got two gift certificates (and two entries for the wide-screen LCD TV drawing). There were lots of Sonatas there--three on the small showfloor, and a long row in the back, plus a few up front gassed up and ready to drive. I drove a Dark Cinnamon LX, since I hadn't driven the V6 before.

One word: Wow! What a smooth car. Effortless acceleration (and I was taking it easy with the salesman in the car). Flat, surefooted cornering. Well-controlled ride, although you do feel big bumps moreso than with the 16" wheels. Powerful AC (90 F and humid, had AC on low fan and was comfortable, but sun was almost down). Smooth controls. (I don't know what the reviewers who say the HVAC controls are cheap are thinking--they were all damped.) Durable-feeling leather, if not the softest around. Very roomy back seat (with driver's seat set for my 5'10", I could stretch way out or even cross my legs back there. But I wouldn't want to ride in the middle--seat bottom is too hard and convex.) Beautiful paint (if you like reddish-brown metallic). Even, tight seams, solid thunk on the doors. Nice alloys.

There is just one major problem with the Sonata LX: it's too darn powerful, for my needs anyway. I was going 70 down the highway with a feather-touch on the accelerator, on level ground. Imagine if I floored it! I only used 1/3 throttle on the freeway on ramp and that was plenty. I can't imagine using all that power. Well, OK, I can imagine it. :) I can also imagine my teen-aged children using it. :( So, it's a great car, but the GLS 4-banger is plenty peppy for me--and my kids. I don't like leather that much anyway.

P.S. I reset the mpg meter (forgot to do it until I exited the freeway) and during the suburban driving part of my drive got just over 25 mpg, with 35-40 speeds and a few stoplights and stopsigns. And this was on a brand-new engine. So I am confident I could get over 25 mpg around town with the I4. That's as good as my much smaller Elantra automatic.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Boltman, I think your milage will improve somewhat. In my '05 with 2.7L engine I've been getting a bit better than 18 MPG for strictly local driving. It's 3.5 miles to work and on wekends I go to the golf course 2 miles away. Bought my car on 4/13 in Naples, FL. Return trip was 1365 miles (averaged better than 27 MPG, which is the EPA highway rating). I now have just over 2900 miles: approx 1600 miles in 3 months since the trip. Probably less than 100 highway miles and those highway miles are less than 6 mile trips.

Anyway, my city MPG approaches the EPA rating with real short trips and my highway MPG exceeded EPA ratings when the car had less than 1400 miles on it.

I know your engine is larger, but the point is if I'm near EPA with shorter driving than you, you'll probably average near the EPA for your car also. Most cars don't do that.

Where I live in CT, it's quite hilly and a lot of curves in the roads. Tire life over 3 previous cars and 27 years is only about 30,000...Michelin, Goodyear, Toyo made no difference. And I do not have a heavy foot on the gas or brakes

I checked my records today regarding MPG driving back from FL. Bought gas 4 times (last one not necessary but wanted less expensive NJ v CT gas). Paid betweet $2.109 and $2.349 in April. I didn't weight the average cost per gallon, but did calculate that my area's $2.469 at today's price would have cost $121 v the $109 paid then. INobody likes high gas prices but $12 for over 1300 miles ain't that bad.

Enjoy your MP3, but don't forget to listen to El Rushbo, or check his web site. :)
  • Options
    pastor_johnpastor_john Member Posts: 3
    Would you please tell me the dealership that setup your auto locks. My dealership for my 2006 V6 GLS had no idea and was checking but did not call me back. Thanks in advance. BTW, if you have their number that would be great. :)
  • Options
    Please tell me that you're joking... I think I will rethink getting the Hyundai if that's the kind of Mileage you're getting.. That's about the same as my 318 with posi-trac and no regards for a gas station.
  • Options
    The TSB is issue # 05-90-006 for the auto lock enable. Its on their hmaservice website.

The dealer who set up my locks was Frank Hyundai in National City, CA it is
    the same place I bought the car.

I don't think they let us post phone #'s.

BTW when the back doors lock the kids can't open them without either manually switching their lock switch or using the unlock button in the front or key fob.

Hope that is of help.
  • Options
    No joke... but I would take a wait and see attitude. Others have reported MPG gains as the car breaks in.

Unknown on original tank (dealer filled)
    Unknown at first fill-up (didn't know exact miles at start)
    20.5 first tank tracked
    17.8 second tank tracked

I think(hope) my gas mileage will improve over time, seems there are others getting mid-twenties on their several month old 2006 LX's.

Just racked up the first 1000 miles only 200 more of "break-in" miles. Maybe the car gets better MPG above 4000 RPM's ;)
  • Options
    Just discovered another feature of the 2006 LX. It seems to have auto lights off. I took the kids to dinner and when I came out and fired up the car. Bam... the lights came on! I don't think I turned them off when we arrived at the restaurant. Pretty cool saves on dead batteries. The car also has an auto light selection where they come on based on the ambient light level, haven't used that yet.

Also tried the auto window reverse feature today, I can get it to work no problem on my side. Had the kids try it and they couldn't get the window to reverse by holding it plus they were a bit leary. My feeling is once their arm or whatever contacted the top the window would likely reverse causing little actual damage to them. It takes a bit of force to get it to go in reverse. Nice safety feature.
  • Options
    chevy malibu...

Don't give up yet! Let's see if the mileage improves down the road. I'll keep you updated.
  • Options
    Might want to fully test that auto-reverse using something inanimate, like one of those styrofoam "snakes" kids use in pools or a roll of paper towels--just to be sure.
  • Options
    Bolt that's a feature listed on the LX models. Here is one feature that is not listed in the books. The LX has an outside temperature reading which you will not find talked about in any of the brochures or on Hyundai's website.

Now on to the radio. Has anyone be able to locate the external amplifier.
  • Options
    burryburry Member Posts: 37
    I saw the Deepwater Blue yesterday and it almost looked as dark as the Black in the showroom. The dealer was kind enough to move it outside in the sunlight and it still looked rather dark which I liked. Has anyone been able to compare the Deepwater Blue with the Aquamarine ? Is the Aquamarine on the dark side as well ? Does it have 2 different looks or shades depending on the light? Thanks !!.
  • Options
    dcibrandodcibrando Member Posts: 90
    no... it's definitely not as dark as the blue or black

here's a photo of someone's aquamarine
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/428481

also... just a side note... yesterday was a bright sunny day here and when I was showing my car (deepwater blue) to people outside... it had an AWESOME sparkle metalic shine to it. When the light hits it just right... it is really something
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I'm both a Hyundai owner (2000 Elantra, 2002 Santa Fe, 2003 Santa Fe) and a follower of this thread on the 06 Sonata. My intentions are to trade our 03 Santa Fe on a 2006 LX Sonata so I have been reading this info with interest. There has been too much to respond to in this my first post but some things beg response. First and foremost the gas mileage debate. To all those who expect to meet(well maybe meet) or exceed the published or window sticker EPA estimates...ain't gonna happen! You might come close IF you are constantly on an interstate with no wind, or delays, or hills, or traffic fluctuations, or the need to stop to eat or have a rest room break and the resulting acceleration back to cruising speed. The EPA estimate is a joke developed in the 1980's on static test vehicles (on a Dyno) with very, very, limited actual driving of the car in question. Even that is done under controlled conditions with regard to speed, durations of stops etc. and in no way reflects the "real world" driving everybody does. People are even complaining about the mileage on the Toyota "Prius" reporting "only" 40-45 MPG where the EPA states 55 MPG highway. The sticker is totally unrealistic. I would expect an LX V-6 driven reasonably at around 70 MPH on a strictly highway trip (tank full-to empty) to return about 26-28 MPG. On strictly stop and go city type driving 16-19, and a mix type driving 60% city, 40% highway about 22-23. I would be happy to receive these numbers. The Sante Fe which is a 4 WD 3.5 liter gets 14-15 around town as opposed to 18 EPA sticker and I did match the highway numbers at 21 MPG. This being very careful. To the person reporting 40 or more on his Camry...not!! probably 10 or so MPG too high. I would expect a 4 cylinder Sonata to exceed 30 highway by a moderate amount though. Enough about gas mileage...remember this is an estimate!!! I have many opinions including those on Sonata color...all the dark colors don't do the car justice. Light colors bring out the lines of the car better.I like Aquamarine and Steel gray. On the debate about interior noise, I have both driven an LX and read published professional road tests (Car And Driver). I find the car quiet on crummy Pa. roads. You can't fool instrumented testing for noise and C&D reports this a very quiet car...I believe it! On price and value for the money verses Camry and Accord....you cannot option either to the level of the Sonata for anywhere near the money. On quality, Camry and Accord have earned a mostly enviable reputation for that but are NOT totally trouble free....stop at your local Honda/Toyota dealer and you will find their service departments are still open for business. Hyundai has come far since our first, the 2000 Elantra, which is a very good car that my son still drives with over 120K miles and tires/brakes being the only expense... oh it needed plugs and plug wires too. Enough for now
    Targettuning
  • Options
    kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    I think the LX will hit 30 mpg on a steady drive below 70. On a recent 250 mi. trip, I averaged 27.4 with stop & go for four miles and some local driving. At one point I was up to 29 mpg; had I not run into traffic and a stop/go sitiuation I think it would have exceeded 30 mpg. Most on my driving is 70 - 75 when I can. The car only has 1000 miles on it.
  • Options
    rick1rick1 Member Posts: 12
    I think targettuning is right on target. I consistently get 27-29 mpg in my 02 gls v6, and I would expect that number to drop with a bigger engine and more hp. I wish it wouldn't, but that's reality. Deepwater blue would also be my color of choice - its a unique shade that looks good. I don't know that I can justify buying an 06 b/c the 02 has been trouble free and there is no reason to get rid of it:(
    I still wonder, though, outside of this board, what % of americans are buying this car as opposed to the others in its class. I guess I just as soon they not sell so the incentives will roll in.
  • Options
    chevymalibuchevymalibu Member Posts: 129
    Okay, I got tired of hours and weeks if not a few months of researching and test driving cars. I narrowed it down to the 2006 GL sonata 4 cyl and the LE camry. I ruled out the XLE due to price (no incentives whatsoever). I test drove the GL sonata and it was nice. The steering wheel is great, no vibration at all (the camry has a little which I don't really like but it's only at idle with the AC on). The ride was soft and the suspension was awesome. I liked the car but my wife wanted a GLS for the other options. The tires were a little loud but the camry was just about the same. The AC on the GL was great. The stereo was very good. I didn't like the spare and would have to buy one (a full spare and hope it fit inside). The coefficient of drag is 0.32 vs. 0.28 for the camry. The tach at 70MPH was 2450 and the camry 2200 at 70MPH. Overall, the sonata was slightly better.

I chose the camry cause they only had 10 GLS/LX V6 cars and 3 GL 4 cyls in tan. I wanted another color and the GLS's were far away (200 miles or so, one was white, one had extra options that I didn't want and one that I wanted was 225 miles or so away). They said I can have that one for 400 off of MSRP. I could have had the color in a GL that was 30 miles away at another dealer but at 300 below MRSP. They wouldn't budge off of that.

We drove one camry and then convinced that it was a very good car, we drove the color we wanted. Then they gave us a price. I was shocked to get 4000 off of MSRP. That was what sold us. The car was right there and at a great price. I labored over this for a long time. I say congrats to Hyundai for building a great car. I think my "fun" side said go GLS but the extra gas and cost to buy was against my frugal side (I bought a loaded EXL accord 2004 last year so this was the "second" car and I wanted a deal on it).

Long story short, good luck to all sonata owners and many great miles of driving experience. I got a great deal on very good transportation. You guys have a very fun, sharp ride. Enjoy and thanks for all the discussions and help along the way.
  • Options
    kc206..

Seems your car with 1000 miles is doing better than mine with the same mileage... what gives? Well at least I see it is possible to get decent milage out of the LX.

Just curious...

What does your trip computer say right after you fill up and it starts getting readings?

Do you use the A/C?

What are your overall per tank MPG averages?

I'm just wondering how you are getting mid to high 20's when I'm getting high teens (20.5 and 17.8 last two tanks). What is the difference with the same car.

My original dealer offered to do an engine scan then I called the local dealer in town and they wanted me to monitor 8 tanks with a log. Hopefully the car breaks in and the MPG improves on it's own.
  • Options
    chevymalibu...

Congats on your Camry!
  • Options
    So are you going to change your user ID now? ;)
  • Options
    I agree that the EPA tests don't reflect real-world driving, yet it is possible to meet or exceed EPA numbers in real-world driving by simply following a few gas-saving tips. Problem is, many drivers don't know about these practices or don't want to follow them. I exceed the EPA numbers on my two Elantras in both around-town and highway driving, and based on an admittedly limited test of the V6 Sonata, I think I could exceed the EPA numbers on that car too, the way it glides along with very little throttle input needed to keep it up to speed. But drive it like most people drive, and no, it probably won't match the EPA numbers.
  • Options
    THE gas-saving tips

(BTW i practice most of these except the 60MPH one I mostly cruise 70-75 MPH on the Hwy but that is only a 15-20% hit when going that speed and I only use cruise on longer trips)

Avoid rapid acceleration. Slow and steady acceleration uses much less fuel.

Avoid stop-and-go traffic. Choose a route that allows you to move steadily and at the same speed; idling, accelerating and braking use up more gas then maintaining a steady speed.

When starting your ignition, don't warm up your vehicle by racing your engine. Let it idle for a moment or two, then pull away.

Use cruise control when on the highway. It helps you remain at the even speed that will minimize fuel consumption.

Slow down! Driving at slower speeds conserves fuel. Actual tests indicate that driving at 70 miles per hour uses 15-20 percent more fuel than driving at 55 miles per hour.

Keep your vehicle tuned and your tires at proper pressure. Replace air and fuel filters on schedule. Rotate ties and have your wheels aligned regularly. If your business has a fleet of vehicles, establish regular maintenance schedules for each vehicle.

If you have a manual transmission, shift up to higher gears as quickly as possible when accelerating.

Reducing air conditioning while driving at lower speeds will use up less fuel. However, studies have shown that at higher speeds (40-50 miles per hour and more), air conditioning uses less fuel than driving with windows open, which greatly increases air drag on the vehicle. Also, set your air conditioning to "recirculate" when possible. Continually cooling hot outside air will make your air conditioner work harder and use more fuel.

If your average miles-per-gallon begins to fall, have your engine checked for possible causes.

Use regular unleaded gas when possible. Some models suggest medium- or premium-grade gasoline but may function perfectly well with regular.

When buying a new or used car, consider a small lightweight car, a hybrid or a car with a 4-cylinder engine. Speaking generally, every 10 percent increase in body weight increases fuel consumption 5 percent. Don't worry -- when you buy a small car or a 4-cylinder engine, you probably won't have to give up too much power. Some 4-cylinder models have little noticeable difference in acceleration from 6-cylinder models. Within the next few years, many new and larger hybrid models will be available (including SUVs and trucks). Not only will these provide better gas mileage than regular vehicles, they'll offer attractive tax incentives to buyers.
  • Options
    Good list, but you didn't mention a couple of my favorites:

* Keep your foot off the accelerator as much as possible. For example, when driving on level ground, use a "pulse and coast" technique to maintain speed while keeping rpms to a minimum. And...

* When your foot is on the accelerator, pretend there is a raw egg between it and your foot.

Another good one, implied by one of your points, is to anticipate stops as much as possible. For example, if you did not see a light turn green, it's likely it will turn red before you get to it. Also, if a light ahead of you is red, take your foot off the gas and coast up to the light--no extra points earned for getting to the light faster and sitting there (however, don't do that if you might block someone behind you who might need to get into the left or right turn lane.)

I keep my cars' tires inflated a few psi over the recommended setting. That helps fuel economy and handling and also tire wear. Too much though and ride can suffer.

As for startup, that is good advice in warm weather, but when it's winter in the North (below zero territory), you'll want to let the car warm up for at least 30 seconds to make sure the fluids are flowing before getting underway, if the engine is cold. Yes, it wastes some gas, but a little gas costs less than an engine rebuild.
  • Options
    johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    At my work place we have three members of our nursing staff have 3 sonatas v6.Since we live in rural Appalachia no real highways and they live about 60 miles plus from the hospital.
    Average mileage after 2000 miles driving at 50 mph (2 lane road) is about 26-27 miles.
    On a real 4 lane highway driving at 70 mph it drops down to 23- 24.
    Since we have few traffic lights here, no comparable city driving.
    But guess the mileage may improve a little in another month after the first oil change.
    The only complaints are
    The dark paints gets dirty easily. With parking lot dings it may be difficult to match some colors such as dark cinnamon.
    The wide body makes parking to the hospital entrance with tight parking spaces difficult.
    The leather can be little softer and gets too hot in summer. No vents for the rear seat passenger.Little more soft cushioning may be better
    Driving comfort, feel good factor better than Camry.
    Since gas prices are high some of us are awaiting for the 06 elantra or Honda civic.Do not like Sonata with 4 cylinders.
    We are all facing the pinch of gas prices.
  • Options
    jojo6jojo6 Member Posts: 20
    I'm around 30-60 days from purchase, and still leaning to a Sonata - but worried about some of the MPG reports! No, I don't expect to get EPA, but my experience has been to get within 3-4 MPG on the highway figure, even when the car is fairly new, i.e. I would have no problem with 26 or 27 with the V-6, but with the price of gas I can't handle 18-20.
    So, please keep posting those MPG reports - and let us know engine, tranny, miles on car and type of driving. Thanks!

Just a comment on the Deepwater Blue - I just don't get it! When you have to look at the window sticker to decide if its blue or black its too dark. Doesn't matter anyway, I've had it with trying to keep dark cars clean, I'm going with light next time.