Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Try another dealer? (Nothin' like a completely new engine to uncover glitches in the supply line...)
  • Options
    weap1weap1 Member Posts: 8
    I ordered my Australian Sonata Elite on 4th Aug and im told I probably wont get it before 4th Oct due to the extremely limited number of V6 Elites in the country and the difficulty getting enough supply out of the Korean factory, i have rung many many dealers around australia in the vain hope someone would have one on a showroom floor somewhere but it seems they really are as rare as hens teeth.
    Im waiting on the blue V6 Elite which sounds just like yours but im wondering if the tinting is necessary or if the factory tint is sufficient? Glad to hear everyone on here seems to love their car, i just wish i could get a hold of one..grrrrrr
    anyway, i guess its a good thing to have a car that will stand out in a crowd when i get it..lol
  • Options
    dan19dan19 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought an LX, aquamarine exterior with beige interior. When I attempt to adjust the slope of the driver's seat, it does not tilt back far enough to provide the support I desire under my leg. It tilts so far the other direction, though, that I can't imagine that postion being comfortable for anyone. I sat in another LX and the seat positioning appears to be the same. Anyone else have this issue?
  • Options
    ausboyausboy Member Posts: 15
    I can appreciate your situation. I ordered a Black Elite V6. The Southport ( Gold Coast) dealership said that they rang other Qld dealerships to check availability , as there was a 6 week wait.

The first dealership I rang (Brisbane) said we have one. Their stock guy said he would consider a swap of colours if Southport requested it. I rang the Southport Manager and he organized it.

I found that if you want it to happen, you need to do it yourself. Keep ringing around.

I drove the blue V6 elite on a test drive. The salesman received a call whilst on the drive and told me that car was sold. Blue is a popular colour.
  • Options
    gregb6gregb6 Member Posts: 11
    I would like to purchase a rear spoiler but the dealer (in Canada) is asking CDN $500.00 (painted, installed and taxes)--- expensive for a wee little spoiler . I note from the sites you referenced (Hyundaiparts), that they are selling a painted spoiler for approx. US. $149. Unfortunately, it appears as if the Canadian "crystal silver" (with a distinctive light blue colour when under artificial light or in the shade) is in fact different to the US "bright silver" and they can only do the bright silver. It appears from the Korean Hyundai website that they have both of these colours available. Are you, or is anyone else familiar with another site/merchant selling spoilers for the 2006 Sonata.

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your car showing the tinted windows?

Fuel Consumption (does anyone know how to convert Km/h to Mpg ?)

First Tank - average fuel consumption 10.3 l/100km (24.28 miles/gallon-conversion??? ). 70% Highway/ 30% City- using air conditioner all the way

Second Tank - average fuel consumption 12.0 litres/100km- 90% city. Average speed 34 km/h.

Other than an occasional rattle from the rear (I believe), I am finding this car smooth, powerful and just plain fun to drive.
  • Options
    dannnsdannns Member Posts: 6
    To convert fuel consumption units, you can just use Google. Follow this link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=10.3+l%2F100+km+in+miles+per+gallon&btnG=Search

Or just type the following in a Google search:
    "10.3 l/100 km in miles per gallon"
  • Options
    jojoejojoe Member Posts: 81
    I will take some pictures and post them sometime tomorrow.The tinted glass looks very nice.On the Crystal Silver it really makes the car.I ordered from the Korean site and am getting my order shortly.They are very good to work with.
  • Options
    bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    I took the car to the Hyundai dealer and of course they could not duplicate the noise. As I experience the problem more, I am finding that this noise only occurs when the car is cold, and it appears to be originating under the hood somewhere on the left side under the steering column area. This may indeed not be a transmission issue after all. The clicking just happened to occur when the car shifted from 1 - 2 when I first noticed it. As a test, I started the car out in 2 using the manual mode and the clicking happens regardless of whether the car is shifting. This is so odd!
  • Options
    enricongenricong Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 2006 sonata GL model with about 3500mi on it.
    I would say about 90% use is the commute to and from work, all highway, 20mi each way about 70mph average.
    my MPG is averaging to only 25
    the sticker says 24city/34highway

I know I shouldnt expect my mpg to be that high, but 25 seems to be on the low side for 90% highway driving, even at 70mph average.

should I take it to the dealer and complain? maybe a tune up is required.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Buy yourself one of those orthopedic botton cushions that are "slanted". This will cure your problem. I, also, use one and have had great success. I believe i paid about $15.00(U.S.) for same. narrow end goes underneath your rear, full end under your legs and presto, problem solved.
  • Options
    johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    I find the air bag warning labels on the sun visors in the 2006 Sonata to be very unsightly. I tried, without success, to peel them off the visors, but they are really stuck on tight. Has anyone had success in removing these labels, and how did you do it?
    John
  • Options
    keyser2keyser2 Member Posts: 25
    I live in Central Ohio and have seen only 2 new Sonatas. Our largest dealership claims to have over 60 in stock. I go past that dealership about once a week, and have seen the same Sonatas in the same place for over a month. I don't know if it's a national trend, but these new Sonatas are not selling well here. The last generation of Sonata sold extremely well in this area.

There has got to be a problem with the way Hyundai is pricing them or something............
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It could be one of those dealerships that has decided to hold firm on prices on the new Sonata, even adding an "additional dealer markup." Not a good way to move cars in the ultra-competitive midsize market.
  • Options
    gandamegandame Member Posts: 12
    from other post that I read, the rattle might be from the rear license plate. If so, a couple of screws might take care of the rattle noise. Good luck with your spoiler!
  • Options
    audioiaudioi Member Posts: 7
    I think in todays market it's easy to see a bit of one car in another. You will see a lot of many cars in the Sonata and I dont think its all that bad. It would be nice if they can gain enough strength to have a look all of there own but maybe we are not ready for that just yet.
    I have posted pictures of my 2006 here http://www.mikesastra.com/SONATA.php for fun.
    Audioi
  • Options
    lawrence45lawrence45 Member Posts: 44
    I have seen lots of Sonatas and Elantras here in Brooklyn but just a handfull of them are 2006 Sonatas. As for Manhattan, saw my first on Friday night. It was a deepwater blue car with a few people around it admiring its classy look. I have no idea how they are selling. If they start offering rebates then we will know.
  • Options
    greupergreuper Member Posts: 5
    We have an Roady 2 XM radio that can be moved from car to home and back again. Our '06 Sonata GLS is supposed to be "XM Radio ready." Has anyone had any experience with the Roady2 in a new Sonata? It is difficult to install the antenna, etc.? We really like the XM radio, and we really like the GLS, too.
    Greuper
  • Options
    Here is one pic,I have more but must transfer them and I have to go out.I will post more sometime this week.
    http://www.pbase.com/obe1010/image/49805192/medium
  • Options
    teasheateashea Member Posts: 18
    I was not able to remove mine either. I covered them with pieces of silver carbon fiber sheeting.

TEAShea
  • Options
    mrdisco1mrdisco1 Member Posts: 9
    From the Korean Sonata brought over to the n.a version:
    -the side marker lights (gives it a very euro styling detail)
    -the blue light instrument cluster
    -the black interior with black steering wheel and the red stitching on the carpets
    -rear sunshade (i dont think we get that)

-the Korean website (Hyundai of Canada's website quite frankly sucks. it does little to show off the features of this great car)
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    The EPA sets the testing standards for fuel economy and they are very outdated. The gas mileage estimated on the sticker is usually not close to what a car really gets. This is not the fault of the vehicle manufacturer. Most cars achieve maximum fuel efficiency around the 55 mph mark and it declines sharply from there. At 70 mph the stated 25 mpg seems very reasonable. A "tune up" on a 2006 Sonata, or most any new car, will not be needed for quite some time; the 100,000 mile mark or so.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I concur...the EPA tests were constructed in 1975 and almost from the beginning were inaccurate and did not reflect the way Americans drive. Further, did you know that auto makers, all of them, can and do submit "one off" or specially constructed versions each vehicle to be tested tweeked for optimum fuel economy. These ARE versions of cars you and I can buy but tuned and tweeked to deliver mileage we, the normal buying public, will almost assuredly never get. So, couple specially built cars submitted for testing AND a phony EPA test proceedure and it is no wonder people are complaining about not reaching EPA estimates. For some eye opening reading about real world gas mileage see the Oct. issue of "Consumer Reports".
  • Options
    skyler01skyler01 Member Posts: 11
    I have a Roady 2 in my Sonata. Search back to message 1848 for details. The current Sonata is not XM ready. Perhaps later in the model year, Sonata's will have XM factory installed, as will the rest of the Hyundai line. BTW, when I see "XM ready" I think of the cars that may have some wiring installed, or a port on the radio for a satellite radio connection. But you still have to install the tuner and antenna. I believe Hyundai will factory install the tuner and antenna; all you would have to do is register the tuner serial number with XM.
  • Options
    mtimti Member Posts: 17
    Does this noise happen at every 1-2 shift or just the first one after you start the engine? If the latter, it's probably the ABS hydraulic pump performing its self-check, although this usually happens at 8 mph and not 1500 rpm.
  • Options
    owen3439owen3439 Member Posts: 7
    Finally decided that Hyundai may never procure a PIP LX. Took delivery of a Deepwater Blue LX, no option 3, this morning and after 35 mile trip home am happy. I wanted to take advantage of the current rebates and fter 4 months of waiting for a PWP I decided to change color. Great OTD price of $21,347, after rebates, etc. Will update the form as time progress with my MPG and experiences :)
  • Options
    My OTD price for the 2006 Sonata LX with Package 3 was $21651. Does that mean, compared to owen3439's "great OTD price of $21,347", that I got the $1400 Package 3 for $341? You can't tell unless we itemize the components (sales taxes and %, trade ins, doc fees, etc.) of OTD prices. It seems to me that OTD pricing is meaningless unless you itemize.
    John
  • Options
    owen3439owen3439 Member Posts: 7
    Chech the price breakout on: Hyundai Sonata: Prices Paid & Buying Experience
    forum
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    First problem :cry: with my new Sonata LX (pack.3)
    A CD got stuck in the player and would not eject. I know that CD with adhesive labels get stuck. But this one is clean, no labels. Then the CD player would not even come into function. I mean when I press the Mode (AM/FM CD) button, it displays AM, FM1and FM2, and skips CD mode altogether.

Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • Options
    tanky1981tanky1981 Member Posts: 21
    i had a similar problem with the 5 stacker in dash one, i disconnected the battery, thereby resetting the CD, afterwhich it all worked fine and ejected the disks and i havent had a similar problem since

Tanky
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    Thanks Tanky. The next day it worked fine. I think just shutting off the car itself is enough to reset the CD sometimes. I went to the dealer, and the technician suggested the same 'battery disconnection' trick that you said. I was worried since I am planning on a semi-long trip next week and you know it stinks to drive without music.

Ok, I saw your post about the player not reading your MP3s. I had/have the same problem. But I didn't pay much attention to it, as I remember its just situational. The same CD that was unrecognizable once, was later read well by the player. I don't know how this happens. I will try to notice it properly this time. I used Windows Media Player to burn my MP3s. So, of the 7 CDs that I burnt, only one was not readable. So its just erratic. Nothing wrong with the burning process, I hope.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Has anyone seen a new Sonata with exterior trim accessories such as the chrome grill insert or the chrome trunk trim bar? if so, what was/were your opinion(s)? :D
  • Options
    These accesories are available online at sharkracing.com
  • Options
    So far, I have not had a problem with the player reading my MP3's. I created them using Roxio software
  • Options
    I have both on order from Korea,should be here soon.Will show some pics one thay are on.
  • Options
    vernoverno Member Posts: 1
    I have less than 1,000 miles on my 2006 Sonata LX with the Package 3 option and I have the same problem ejecting or even autoloading cds. This seems to be a problem with this CD player. Sure hope they figure it out. This is the only reason I purchased the 3 option. I could have done without the sunroof that also comes with that option. :cry:
  • Options
    That's a great price owen3439. I don't see, in this forum, where anyone has beat it.
    John
  • Options
    Thanks I'll be interested in seeing how they really look installed
  • Options
    goochgooch Member Posts: 13
    I have a GL with about 5K miles on it. Everything is great in this car, except I am getting a 'moan' from the front right wheel area when taking right hand turns. This doesn't occur all the time. It sounds in time with the rotation of the wheel as well. The moan sounds like rubbing, like the friction between the two parts creates a specific resonance to produce the sound (similar to rubbing your finger along the rim of a crystal wine glass, of course, it doesn't sound like the sound from the wine glass :))

Any ideas of what to look for? I don't want to do the whole back and forth with the service technician where they can't reproduce the darned issue until I can pinpoint it better myself. Thanks!
  • Options
    bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    mti,
    Yes this clicking usually happens at 8 mph as you suggest only once the first time after the car is started. The clicking originates more under the left side near the steering column than the transmission. Also, it occurs regardless of whether the car is shifting and not during any particular RPM like you said. (My original thought was the tranny since the vehicle coincidentally shifted from 1-2 around this speed under extremely light acceleration, but your diagnosis seems more accurate since I have later tested this starting/holding the manu-shift in 2 and the noise still occurs even at a non-shift point). So I guess I have nothing to worry about?
  • Options
    prd3459prd3459 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem w/the stickers. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

Paul
  • Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    A box cutter will do the trick (though you probably won't like the results much). The manufacturers are required by law to attach non-removable labels about the SRS system so "Valley" soccer moms can't use the excuse they didn't know they weren't supposed to strap their seven-year old, drooling, snot-nosed spawn into the front passenger seat.
  • Options
    mtimti Member Posts: 17
    I would say you have nothing to worry about. The noise is near the steering column because that's where the ABS components are, on the engine side of the firewall of course. You can further confirm that what you're hearing is the ABS self-check by lightly resting your left foot on or against the brake pedal just before the noise usually occurs because you can feel a slight pulsation in the pedal when you hear the noise. Also, if you have enough space, you can start the engine and drive in reverse and you will hear the noise when you hit ~8 mph. Since there's only one reverse speed, you know it's not the tranny shifting.
  • Options
    goochgooch Member Posts: 13
    Another bit of information...

I live in Phoenix and we are finally cooling down (if you can call a high of 100 cooling down) and I noticed that the mysterious moan hasn't shown up in the passed 2 days or so. Maybe it is heat related, which is causing some expansion of something to cause the moan? Just grasping for straws.
  • Options
    teasheateashea Member Posts: 18
    I really enjoy driving this car. The chassis is very ridgid, the steering is excellent, the engine is exceptional (very much like a Honda). The build quality is better than any of the Mercedes, Hondas or BMW's that I have owned.

This is a landmark car.

TEAShea
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai has added a $500 general rebate to the '06 Sonata, in addition to the $1000 loyalty rebate and the $1000 HMFC rebate.
  • Options
    billmdbillmd Member Posts: 24
    There is a tech service bulletin on the rattling sunroof. There are a couple screws that need tightening.

Check out: http://hmaservice.com and review some of the bulletins - you will find it there.
  • Options
    frevalfreval Member Posts: 11
    Is this what you mean.
    link title
    link title
    link title
    I think it looks great! :)
  • Options
    fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    WOW !!! That car looks sweet!! I'm assuming that those are not the original rims? I've seen these cars quite a few times, and test drove a couple, but for some reason your car looks amazing. I've been waiting for the Azera to be available, but this car makes me wonder if it's worth the wait. Thanks for the pictures...
  • Options
    frevalfreval Member Posts: 11
    You know, the Azera looks super. Check out these shots. :P
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title
    link title