Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    dan42dan42 Member Posts: 32
    I test drove the new 06 GLS Sonata today and was very impressed. Alot of car for the money, in my opinion. Really like the shiftronic, especially driving in the mountains. Went to three dealerships and finally found a GLS 4Cyl automatic. One thing I noticed was that the dealerships are a step behind Honda and Toyota as far as showroom. Felt more like entering a used car dealership. Hopefully Hyundai in the near future will continue to improve there display. (Obviously not every dealer is under par). Is the 100,000 drive train warranty only good if you take the car into the dealer to get oil changes done. I prefer to do my own oil changes.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Anyone can change the oil and do other servicing on the car, assuming they have the skills. Just make sure you use oil and oil filters that are OEM spec (safest to get the Hyundai filters).

Personally I take my two Hyundais to the dealer for oil changes. It usually costs less than $20 with a coupon. And if anything goes wrong, e.g. stripped threads on the oil pan or loose oil filter or whatever, we all know exactly who is at fault. And they wash the car for me if I want them to. :)
  • Options
    weap1weap1 Member Posts: 8
    I notice in the online TSBs that the Sonata has a low tire pressure monitoring system. I dont have my car yet (still waiting for delivery-nearly 4 months now) and I dont know if this is in the owners manula, but can I ask if anyone knows what this low tire pressure monitoring system is checking...is it the pressure in the spare wheel or has hyundai managed to devise a system to monitor the wheels while on the car? What is the output for this system? a red light on the dash telling you your tire (spare or whatever) is low?
    cheers
  • Options
    bobembbobemb Member Posts: 4
    I am very interested in the Sonata, but have a 38 mile commute to work over highways, and put on 20,000+ miles per year. I like the idea of getting every bit of MPG possible, but I also like to have a spirited ride. All the reviews that I have read indicate that the V6 is heavenly to drive, while the I4 is also good. Should I sacrifice 3 or 4 MPG for the V6?

What are peoples real life experiences with MPG's? I would be satisified with 30 MPG consistantly over the highway.
  • Options
    gregg4gregg4 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Sonata V6 loaded and have about 1,500 miles. I now have the following issues.

1. When backing out in reverse and then going into drive after about 2 seconds the vehicle makes a small clunking sound that can be felt in the gas pedal and barely heard. You have to have the radio off and it has to be quit but it is defintely there. Anyone have this?

2. I have the grey interior and now the hard grey plastic on the doors are showing weird light spots. I have one large one on the door and then you can see a bunch of small ones through out the doors. I've never even put anything on the doors, armor all, etc. Is this something the dealership should take care of?

If anyone has some input I would appreciate. Thanks.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    My '05 Sonata 2.7L is rated at 27 Highway/19 City. I averaged 29 on the highway when the car was brand new driving from FL to CT. While a larger engine, I think the '06 has higher rated highway MPG.

If you drive 20K per year and average 30 MPG, that's 666 gallons; 34 MPG would be 590 gallons. If you assume $3/ gallon (hopefully that's high), the 6 cyl would cost $228 more per year for gas.
  • Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "Is the 100,000 drive train warranty only good if you take the car into the dealer to get oil changes done. I prefer to do my own oil changes."

Under the Moss-Magnusen Act, you or your choice of mechanic are permitted to carry out the routine service without jeopardizing your warranty rights. (Prior to Moss-Magnusen, Ford and GM made it policy to require that their respective dealers carry out all maintenance to maintain the factory warranties. Congress in a rare display of intelligence finally stepped in and put the kabosh on that.) If you do your own maintenance (oil and filter changes, for instance) your only requirement is to keep the receipts for the materials (oil and filter), and log each service. Dated receipts and a handwritten log are considered by the courts as sufficient evidence for having actually done the required service, so unless the manufacturer can prove otherwise (fraud), you're in safe territory. (Since fraud is a crime, the burden of proof on the manufacturer would be "beyond a reasonable doubt" - jury trial, a unanimous finding by the jury; in other words the whole Perry Mason schmear that the manufacturer isn't likely to contest unless it's very confident.) Aftermarket oil filters are perfectly alright. Just stick with filters of recognized brand and reputation - Purolator, FRAM, Motorcraft, AC, WIX, Baldwin, Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc. Any motor oil of the recommended viscosity for your climate condtions and wearing the API "sunburst seal" on the front label, as well as current service spec. (API "SM" and ILSAC "GF-4") will meet Hyundai's requirements. There's nothing magic about the oil Hyundai dealers use. Hyundai oil filters are very well made and designed, but, again there's nothing magic about them. For the time being though, since Hyundai went to a new drop-in canister-type oil filter on the new Sonata 4 and 6 cylinder motors, your only source for filters will probably be Hyundai dealers until the independents ramp up production of equivalents. (Hyundai's not the only engine manufacturer going "back" to this type of filter, by the way. GM, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and others have recently or already for years used them.)

If you plan to change the transmission fluid periodically yourself, Hyundai does currently have you over a barrel. The ONLY approved ATF for Hyundai automatics is "SP III". It's a proprietary Mitsubishi fluid and only available in North America through Mitsubishi (duhhh!), Hyundai, and KIA dealerships. Mitsubishi has NOT released the forumula and additive compounding for this fluid, nor licensed its production to other than Hyundai and its assignees. (Hyundai and KIA SP III are apparently blended and bottled by ConocoPhillips, though that company is contractually prohibited from selling it through normal retail channels.) If you come across any of the aftermarket brands whose "universal" ATFs purport equivalancy to SP III, you ARE risking warranty invalidation. Those ATFs are only their respective manufacturers' best guess at equivalancy.
  • Options
    billmdbillmd Member Posts: 24
    I drove the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl GLS and felt that both offered ample power for the car. The 6 cyl offered substantially more acceleration but the 4 cyl offered better fuel economy. I opted for the 6 cyl primarily because I felt the car performed better overall. I am quite satisfied with my choice. I have been getting 25mpg in rural stop/go traffic. The 6cyl is truly a spirited luxury car (that gets real decent mileage).
  • Options
    cjlarscjlars Member Posts: 29
    I just picked up a new LX and so far have been quite impressed,as have the few people I've shown it to. The only problem I've encountered (and believe me its driving me nuts) is a rattle coming from the dash.My wife, who usually insists that all the noises I hear are between my ears, acknowledges that this is real. I haven't been able to localize the rattle though it sounds like it is coming from "inside" the dash not something superficial. Its going to the dealer tomorrow so I hope they have more luck than I have in pinpointing the location. Anyone else notice this? It happens on any road that isn't in the best shape, it doesn't have to be "offroading" type terrain.
  • Options
    johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    I have the V6 LX with Package 3. Per the car's computer I get 29.6 mpg at about 65mph on cruise control. I get less MPG at faster speeds and more at slower speeds. I haven't checked the computer for accuracy yet. I have 3300 miles on my car.
    John
  • Options
    rumansrumans Member Posts: 13
    I do not know about questions #2. Take it to the dealer...

On question #1, this sounds like the anti-lock brake self test. If you look under all the other car forums, everyone always asks about this. My 04 Accord Does it and my 03 Infiniti did it.
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    About question #2, I have a '06 LX, with Beige interior, and it does have grey plastic part on the doors which similarly have small light spots. But they are not too obvious. So I just ignored them.
  • Options
    "it does have grey plastic part on the doors which similarly have small light spots."

Has anyone tried rubbing these mystery spots out with some terrycloth wet with a mild soapy solution? These spots might be from leftover mold release compound. Just a thought...
  • Options
    gregg4gregg4 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, and nothing works. It actually looks like it's in the plastic. What is weird is that they were not there when I bought the car, at least they were not that noticeable. I mean one of the spots is now the size of a silver dollar and there are now lighter spots all over the grey plastic everywhere. This is not good for Hyundai. I new I shouldn't of bought this junk. I'm going to go to the dealer and see what they might be able to do.
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    I wouldn't call it a piece of junk because of some spots on the plastic that nobody else has experienced. The true test will be to see how the dealer addresses the issue. The new Sonata is a high-quality car that compares very favorably to the Accord and Camry. Even these benchmark vehicles have problems that crop up. Fortunately for Hyundai their dealerships have improved dramatically over the last few years so you should have no problem getting your issue taken care of.

I had a few scratches that were present upon delivery, but I did not have the time to address them until almost 2 months later. I would think some dealerships would say, "Whoa, you had this car for that long and you expect us to believe WE did this?" Not Hyundai! They took care of it no questions asked. Not the crappy touch-up pen either....they had an airbrush guy blend it in real nice. I hope you have a similar experience. Please keep us posted!
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    Don't call you car a piece of crap because of this. Take it back to the dealer and have the service manager to look at it. If they don't fix it to your liking ask them when the DM for you area will be in and meet him and have him to address your issue.

Hyundai just as you don't want a bad product out there because it could hurt their business, too many companies competing for you $$$. The ford Five hundred currently have a defective part that doesn't have a fix 2+ months later.
  • Options
    fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    I haven't going to the dealer as of yet but I need everyone's help with this one. I was looking at my rear seats and it looks like the mounting brace in the middle is cutting into the seat at the bottom when you fold the seats down. If you fold down one side and look at the other you can see the damage. I stuck my hand down to see if something was left in the car from the dealer and felt the mounting brace. The brace is somewhat sharp.

The repair looks like a quick fix by changing the brace but wanted to make sure that this wasn't an isolated problem. If this is a wide spread issue we need to make Hyundai aware. I don't want to be replacing seat covers every 10k miles.
  • Options
    ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    I, too, hear a minor rattle every now and then on my LX. I initially thought that the noise was coming from the dashboard. But when I took it to the dealer, a guy said that the sound was caused by the leather in the seats getting rubbed against each other (it took a while for the guy to even recognize the noise). My previous car had leather seats, and I never had encountered that sort of noise. He said that adjustments couldn't be made for this common issue. I later found out myself that the sound was coming from the leather rubbing against the plastic lumbar support lever. The rattling doesn't bother me much any more, but if it did bother me that much, I'd probably ask the service reps to see what they can do with the lever to prevent the noise. But the (minor) rattling noise is not constant, and when I do hear it, it isn't bothersome for me. Now I can't guarantee the rattling you're hearing is the same noise, but it might be worth looking into that lever (or whatever it's called). If they fix the problem for you, please let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    therealpotustherealpotus Member Posts: 42
    I almost forgot!

I want Hyundai to work out the acceleration delay when one steps on the gas pedal and the car doesn't respond for a few seconds. (This has been mentioned much earlier in these discussions and everyone sort of stopped mentioning it. I noticed it when I test drove the 4 cyl automatic. A few others piped in that they, too, experienced it.)

Regardless whether the accelerator is computer controlled or not, I would expect 'instantaneous' response, not delayed response.

I'm hoping Hyundai will work this out, as well as all the other things I mentioned, and also the other points the rest of you are bringing up (e.g. spots on the plastic; no lumbar or seat controls; brake issues; paint issues; rattles; etc.)

Whether the car is a $20,000 car or a $40,000 car, it's still a fair chunk of change, and for almost 25 large, one expects quality across the board. (We're not talking a $7,000 car...) At least I expect the car to be five stars on all fronts, and I don't think that's asking or expecting too much.

Are my requests too high? Must we all simply lower our expectations? Or is it reasonable to expect all these issues will be worked out (correctly) by Sept 2006?
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Nope you and others here who have "complaints" about various things MUST remember that this is mechanical thing assembled from a zillion individual parts. It is a new design assembled in a new plant, using many new employees. Even the computer controlled robotic assembler/welder/painter stations are subject to glitches. So, although I am positive that Hyundai wants this, its first U.S. effort to be as trouble free as humanly/robotically possible it still isn't going to be perfect. I just read in the latest issue of Consumer Reports that first year cars with a new design of an existing name i.e. Accord, Camry, Civic or in this case Sonata always spike an increase of faults per 100 cars(which I guess is an industry standard for statistically tracking this info.) but the more quality conscious the parent company is the fewer the increase in faults. By that I mean the last model year of the previous generation of say, Accord may have 5 faults per 100 cars whereas the new redesign may have 9/100 cars but soon after the total falls back to the previous level. All this a round-a-bout way of saying that whatever faults are detected in this, its first year, will certainly be corrected in the near future.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Replying to: iluvmysephia1 (Oct 13, 2005 12:33 am)
    I have owned several Hondas, inlcuding 2 Accords. After shopping around an comparing several cars, I purchased a 2006 Sonata LX. I am amazed by this car. Certainly, from my analysis, it is far superior to the competion on a price-dependent basis. Moreover, I actually prefer it on a price-independent basis.

The issues that impressed me:

engine: as good as a Honda - which is as good as it gets. The Sonata V6 is very refined, with good power and torque across the rev band. It has that ripping smoothness at high rmp that only the finest engines produce. It is interesting to note that this engine produces more power and torque that the 3.0 liter engine in the new BMW 325i.

exterior styling: of course this is subjective, but.... I really like it. I think that Hyundai has developed a strong lookinig car, with nice design elements that integrate well. Certainly, there are styling elements from other cars, but that is not unusual. In fact, it is difficult to find any car that does not have design elements that are similar to others. I find that the Sonata's design is more independent than many other current cars.

interior styling: I think that the interior works well and looks good. The material choices and the layout of the dash, door panels, seats and console are quite nice. I particularly like the faux carbon fiber treatment that comes with the gray interior. (I am not a fan of glossy wood on car interiors).

suspension: competent but a little soft for my tastes. The car has a complian suspension that seems better in the LX than on the other models. Part of this is the tires.

quality: the Sonata has the highest quality of any car I have owned. One example is the exterior panel gaps. These are as straight as my two Mercedes and the gap is smaller. (also better than a Camry, Accord or Infinity). The fit and finish of the interior trim is also excellent.

overall: an impressive car that puts Hyundai into the top leagues of auto manufactureres. I think that this is a breakthrough car.

TEAShea
    #229 of 460 Re: Long term test [backy] by teashea Oct 13, 2005 (1:49 pm)
  • Options
    New steel gray 06 Sonata LX owner here. My wife and I purchased it last night, and you can see the pricing details in the Prices Paid forum, if interested. We went without Package 3 because of the headroom penalty with the sunroof.

We cross shopped the Sonata with the Accord, Camry, Mazda 6, Altima, Fusion, Maxima, and Avalon. What sold us on the Sonata was safety, engine power, features, size (passenger and trunk), warranty, value, and build quality. While each of the competitors had advantages and positive qualities, the Sonata had the best mix for our needs and wants. We don't make large purchase decisions quickly or without a lot of consideration, and in the end after multiple test drives of each car, the Sonata was the best pick for us.

I'll readily admit to being a Hyundai convert. I've been a strong supporter of Honda and Toyota, having owned many vehicles from each and convinced others to do the same, but Hyundai has blown me away with the new Sonata and Santa Fe. I wouldn't have given Hyundai a second thought a year ago, and now I find myself an owner. And a happy one at that.

-Ty
  • Options
    jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    1. It's probably the ABS self-test. Does it occur for you at about 8 mph? The Sonata is not the only car that does this, btw. I just wonder why you are feeling it through the gas pedal (which is the same for my Sonata).

2. Try some WD40 on those spots. I think Hyundai has some issues with delivering a car with "clean" interior plastics, and the dealers aren't catching this like they should be (or they aren't using the right cleaner to remove it). I've had two 06 Sonatas (the first was the wrong trim level for the lease I'm in, so the dealer had me bring it back), and both had issues with the "smudge" showing up on the hard plastic door handles. WD40 helped remove the residue, and then I used some regular mild cleanser to remove the WD40. Try it and let us know if that helped fix the problem.
  • Options
    "...engine: as good as a Honda - which is as good as it gets..."

The smaller Honda V6 generates more power.
  • Options
    "The smaller Honda V6 generates more power."

I guess that depends on how you measure power. The Honda 3.0L does put out 9 more HP, but the Hyundai 3.3L puts out 15 ft-lbs more torque.

In rear-world driving, I really couldn't discern any significant performance difference between the two power plants. When they're that close in figures, then you have to start looking at HOW the power is transferred to the wheels and WHEN it's available in the RPM range. For me it was a wash between the Accord and Sonata.

I agree with tbear, I think Honda has produced some of the best I4 and V6 engines around. I'm amazed Hyundai has come so far so quickly with their power plants, and can now successfully compete in power and gas mileage with the very best. It's a tribute to both companies how good these engines actually are.
  • Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    numbers are Sonata LX vs. Accord EX V6, both 2006 models (from the Hyundai USA website)

Peak Horsepower at RPM 235@6000 244@6250

Peak Torque at RPM 226@3500 211@5000

The Sonata has not only a higher torque peak, but at a much lower rpm than the Honda. So, if both cars are being driven at that same lower rpm, the Sonata should have much more power unless the transmission downshifts.
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Good analysis! I'll take usable power over peak power any day of the week ..
  • Options
    cjlarscjlars Member Posts: 29
    Thank you for the reply. This rattle is definitely coming from the dash and seemingly deeper inside. The dealer had it on Monday and said that a couple trim pieces were tightened and the problem was "significantly reduced". Not. I took my salesman for a quick ride and he acknowledged that he could hear the rattle even after the "repair".. I'm waiting to see what they can come up with today. I drove in a 9 year old Subaru to pick up the Sonata and didn't hear as much ratting from the dash as the Sonata has. I know these things can happen and I'm not down on the car,just frustrated at this point.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    have had the oppurtunity to drive both the 2003 V6 and now the 2006 V6 both rented cars for about a week each. The 2003 didn't impress me at all, smaller car, underpowered even with the V6, and cheap looking interior.
    The 2006 (GLS I think) is a completely different car; enough power to almost run with my wife's Altima 3.5, decent mileage (26 mpg, 600 miles 85% highway), smoother ride, competent handling and reasonably quiet. A good driving car. Think that the interior needs upgrading, this one was cloth seats, moonroof, hard plastics, and some sort of glossy imitation walnut that looked something from another planet. Exterior styling on the other hand - really a good looking sedan and that trunk is large enough to swallow almost anything!

It appears that this car stickers for something a little over $22k, maybe 4 or 5 grand or so less than the Altima/Accord/Camry trio similarily equipped - a really fine value and now a really decent car - if only they could do something about that Korean car perception that keeps the resale value so low.
  • Options
    birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Has anyone out made it to 30mpg with the v6 Sonota?How does it run on regular 87 octane. ? I was so close to considering this impressive model until my neighbor told me he got a letter form hyuandai informing him that he would get better performance using 91 octane gas. Sofar the best mpg i have read was 28. Thanks
  • Options
    johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    I have the V6 LX with Package 3. Per the car's computer I get 29.6 mpg at about 65mph on cruise control. I get less MPG at faster speeds and more at slower speeds. I haven't checked the computer for accuracy yet. I have 3300 miles on my car.
    John
  • Options
    blaze3blaze3 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, does anyone know of a way to program a key FOB for an '06 Sonata, without actually taking it to a dealer? I unfortunately lost one of mine and have obtained a replacment, but my dealer wants $100 to do the programming, so obviously I'd like to avoid the charge if I can. Thanks.
  • Options
    graydudegraydude Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a new car and am intrigued by the 06 Sonata LX. I have done a lot of research via computer and all the Sonatas, the LX in particular, get high marks from the so called experts. Edmonds, Kelly. Car & Driver. etc. My wife is skeptical saying that anyone can be bought.

Therefore, I'm asking the advice of any of you who own this particular car. Certainly the price is right for all that your getting and the warranty is great. But is it as good as what I heard. I have not driven it as yet. Would appreciate any feedback.
  • Options
    Best thing todo would be to go for a test drive. But I had just driven a GLS 4 cylinder last week .. came away very impressed. The ride was very good and suprisingly quiet. With all the standard safety features, price and quality .. the Sonata can't be beat. They just increased the incentives on the V6 models too. It's a good time to buy!
  • Options
    blaze3blaze3 Member Posts: 5
    I bought the 06 Sonata LX back in July and have no regrets - love it. Great ride, quiet, quick, lots of creature comforts, outstanding warranty, all for significantly less $ than comparable vehicles. It was a no brainer for me.

No issues with the car since I took delivery - in fact, I'm going back to the dealer for the first time tomorrow - for an oil change.

If anything could be better in my mind it would be the mileage on the V6. I drive about 50 miles per day, 10 of which I'd consider city, and I'm averaging about 22-23 mpg, driving 65 mph once I hit the hwy. Not bad, but not what I'd expect given that driving mix (I think they advertise 20city 30 hwy). The good news, however, is that it seems to be improving with each fillup. Lots of discussion on this topic here if you search.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    Have owned a standard LX since the end of May, first one off of the dealers lot....no regrets. Safe, powerful, excellent handling, comfortable and plenty of room. One minor paint flaw which the dealer took care of without any hassle. If you do highway driving at 65, you'll get close to 30 mpg(29.5 highest so far). Around town mpg is between 18.5 & 22 depending how much you start/stop in traffic or short store trips.
    Love the automatic temperature contol!
  • Options
    "Good analysis! I'll take usable power over peak power any day of the week .."

Actually, a superficial analysis. Neither car is putting out much over 20 hp at legal cruising speed. The bigger Hyundai motor delivers higher torque, but the Sonata's final drive ratio is also "taller" than that of the Honda. (Consequently the Hyundai motor revs at a slightly lower speed at any given road speed than the Honda motor does.) Other than C&D's test, the 0-60 and quarter mile posted acceleration times run by other publications of the new Sonata are no better, and in some cases ever so slightly worse than the Accord with V6 power & A/T. The differences are sufficiently minor that it's pretty much a standoff, though the Accord seems to return slighly better fuel economy (32+ mpg). But, then Honda's forte has traditionally been efficiency, so no surprise there. Racing experience does improve the breed. ;)
  • Options
    graydudegraydude Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to you and the others who responded to my question. It's one thing to rely on the "experts" for advice and another to talk to someone who actually owns the car.

As far as mileage claims it's been my experience that the average driver will get no where near what themanufacturer says on any car..

My next move is a test drive and if it's all you and the others say it is, I'm buying.
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    I test drove a 2006 V6 GLS Sonata which I really liked, except for one
    problem. If you took your foot off the accelerator at 20-40 mph, there
    was a noticeable vibration in the steering wheel. I even had the salesman
    drive the car, and I felt it in the passenger seat, and he definitely felt it.
    He said he would have service department look at it. I wouldn't consider
    this car if it is not fixed, as I had a car like this once, and it drove me crazy,
    with about 20 visits to the dealer, and finally giving up.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was the explanation if fixed?
  • Options
    jojoejojoe Member Posts: 81
    No problems at all with our V6. I drive it hard and use the shiftronic only.This car handles great,no vibration anywhere.Have gone against those ugly Accords and haven't been beat yet.Maybe cause the drivers were all oldtimers... :P
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    Hi Kc206,

Could you please elaborate on the paint flaw your car had, and how the dealer took care of it. I have a Golden Beige LX, and there is a 2 inch circular patch of paint flaw above rear door handle. Its just lack of clear coat, and no paint flaw as such, but it is visible from an angle. I noticed it as soon as I bought the car, but didn't have time to take it to the dealer. Thought I will present this when I take it for the first oil change. My car is now 2 and half months, and 2500 miles old.

Thanks,
    Kri
  • Options
    gy563gy563 Member Posts: 44
    We had similar problem for about first two weeks. We had the car two month and now it doesn't rattle, or vibrates anymore!
  • Options
    averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    I'm guessing that you miss my point entirely.
    My point is that the Sonata has its torque peak at an RPM level which is much more often the level from which normal drivers will want strong acceleration. Not many of us will be driving along at 5000 RPM and then want to accelerate strongly up to redline at 6000 or 6200. More likely, at 2500 or 3500, a driver will want to accelerate briskly and if more torque is available in one car than the other at that rpm, then that first car will feel peppier.
    That said, I agree with you that in a drag race, gas pedal to the floor, the two cars are pretty equal. But I was never arguing about drag racing. No argument either about Honda making great motors.
    Nice comparable cars. MSRP Sonata LX /Accord EX: $22,895 $27,300. Comparable, but the EPA says Sonata is large and Accord mid-sized.
    At their torque peaks, the Sonata is making 151 horsepower at 3500 RPM, the Accord 201 hp at 5000 RPM. Without seeing the torque curves relative to RPM it is hard to directly compare the motors' horsepower outputs at other RPM levels. Generally though, the Honda is a rev-happy motor which has more pull at higher rpms and less grunt at lower RPM, compared to the Hyundai which has better pull at lower rpms but runs out of breath as RPM approach redline. So it should be expected that from normal cruising speeds and/or middle of the range RPM levels, the Sonata would feel stronger so long as the transmission does not downshift while accelerating.
    The overall gear ratios of the 2 cars are different to take advantage of the efficiency and torque characteristics of each motor. And the difference in ratios is not much.
    I'm curious, what torque and rpm figures are you using to calculate the horsepower output of the motors at legal cruising speed?

Fuel economy? The EPA standards show Sonata slightly better than the Accord:
    EPA Mileage Estimate (Sonata vs. Accord)
    Fuel Economy City 20 20
    Fuel Economy Highway 30 29
    Combined Fuel Economy 24 23

Sonata LX vs. Accord EX V6, both 2006 models (from the Hyundai USA website)

Peak Horsepower at RPM: 235 6000; 244 6250

Peak Torque at RPM: 226 3500; 211 5000

The Sonata has not only a higher torque peak, but at a much lower rpm than the Honda. So, if both cars are being driven at that same lower rpm, the Sonata should have much more power unless the transmission downshifts.
  • Options
    My sediments exactly .. more usable torque is what I prefer and the Sonata has this advantage ..
  • Options
    kc206kc206 Member Posts: 32
    The paint had chipped of the trunk lid due to a paint drop and a small bubble on the trunk side fender well that was noticeable when the trunk lid was opened. The dealer sent the car to paint shop that matched the paint perfectly.
  • Options
    Nevertheless, the V6 Accord will pace the V6 Sonata up to 60 mph, and blow past it once above 60 mph. The practical aspect of this was demonstrated in the December issue of Car & Driver's midsize head-to-head in the 40-70 mph range encountered in passing and merging. If accounts over at the Accord discussion are accurate, the Accord V6 is typically returning 31-32+ mpg (A/T) at highway speeds. I haven't read any here of the Sonata V6 approaching that upper limit yet, but, refer me to one if I missed it.
  • Options
    frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Maybe one of the dealers could chime in on a any near time changes.

New paint colors, a problems fixed, ...
  • Options
    dojahodojaho Member Posts: 2
    Whether it was meant to or not it (2006) IMO does look like an Accord. JD Powers and Associates were pretty fond of of the 2002-2005 Sonata. I agree the performance enhancements are favorable for 2006. Everyone is entitled to there opinion thanks for sharing your's with me.
  • Options
    kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    I will have race with V6 Accord whenever I have chance, and post the result. Since i got the car a month ago, I have raced Many cars. Dodge ram, Civic, Accord LX, Subaru legacy, Saturn.....Never lost yet.
  • Options
    kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    By the way, I got the car back yesterday from the dealership. They have replaced 2 door panels. Third one was wrong part. I have to go back in after they get a right panel. They also did alignment. Alignment was off ( I used work on cars for five years in Korea. I can't be wrong). Now, my car drives straight, and I'm ready to race any car on the road.