Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    When we purchased our '06 Sonata GLSV6 the dealer told us we'd receive lifetime $9.99 Oilchanges. It's a combo dealer w/ Toyota/Scion, they also give the car a wash after every service (even an oil change). So Yes, I'm happy w/ our dealer (so far).
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    I just ran into another posting regarding TIMING BELT replacement for $1,000 !

http://www.hyundaiforum.com/m_2118/tm.htm
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    This may be true to a certain extent, however, manufacturers are ultimately responsible for their dealerships. Why do you think Hyundai sends out surveys to each new vehicle purchaser? The dealers reflect the company as a whole and if the manufacturer cannot control its dealerships business practices then it is an obvious weakness. We, as consumers, have certain expectations and responsibilities. Dealerships often exploit the uninformed and underinformed; this is fact and not opinion. A dealer reflects its manufacturer much like a child is a reflection of his/her parents. It is the way it is...
  • Options
    I fully agree!

"Why do you think Hyundai sends out surveys to each new vehicle purchaser?

I think Hyundai should send out surveys after a customer has been to a maintenance/service work.
    Sending out a survey to a new buyer doesn't reflect on the Service side of a dealership, which is vital for its success if a company wants to expand/thrive!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Good thing 2006 Sonatas don't have timing belts!
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Any car with a timing belt needs to have the belt replaced after a certain number of miles. Most cars, I think, call for replacement at 60,000 miles,some @ 70 or 80,000.

Some months back danf1 said a Sonata replacement belt should cost around (I think) $250-$300 installed. Usually the water pump is replaced at the same time, adding to the total service visit cost. Add in tire rotation, alignment, oil change, etc and the 60,000 mile service can easily be $600, but that's not just for the timing belt.

The '06 has a timing chian, as others have said. I believe the chain is better than the belt. However I read somewhere that the chain is not maintenance free. Don't recall the details, but it needs to be checked and possibly serviced at some point (more than 60K miles).
  • Options
    zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Hyundai doesn't do this? Honda does. Whenever I have
    anything done, even oil change, I get a follup phone
    call, and a survey card in the mail.
  • Options
    It may be dealer-specific. I used to get a follow-up call all the time from another Hyundai dealer. But I switched to a dealer that is closer to me and they don't do follow-up calls. But I like their service better, and they give free car washes and free loaners.
  • Options
    blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    The '06 has a timing chian, as others have said. I believe the chain is better than the belt. However I read somewhere that the chain is not maintenance free. Don't recall the details, but it needs to be checked and possibly serviced at some point (more than 60K miles).

Timing chains will strectch a bit over time and this will cause some timing adjustments (although it's usually very minor). Most timing chains are good for about 110Kmiles, but not sure what Hyundai recommends for the '06 Sonata. Some motors will be permanantly damaged if the timing chain fails (such as my '84 Toyota Pickup) again, not sure if this is the case w/ the Sonata though.
  • Options
    "...a Sonata replacement belt should cost around (I think) $250-$300 installed...

Whishful thinking... true, it shouldn't cost more than $250-300... but the reality is : Dealers GREED.

The Timing Chain does not require any maintenance... at least nothing is required by Hyundai in the manual "Required Maintenance"
  • Options
    harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    had a GLS V6, 1999 model. everything but abs.
    Great Car: more like a near luxury ride. We had issues, and at 103,000, needed water pump, and 113,000, radiator went, and had issues with dealership service, and some minor things, like turn signal stalk broke at 89,000 miles.

Now, 15 months back we got a 04 GLS V6, cloth.
    (our 01 tibby tranny was ready to die at 103,000, and dumped it for the Sonata).

Anyhow......the 04 is ok. we got it for under 15K, down form 21K msrp.
    What relatives , myself, and spouse have found out is 04 "feels cheaper" than the 99 did.
    Can hear the engine(where 99 ,I had to roll down the window to see if the car turned over at times, when we first got it)and the rear end seems jostled easier, over some "rough road", where old car, never jostled.

Plus, MPG is down from the 99!
    the 99 had 160HP vs 170 for current car, and 2.5 l vs 2.7, and 04 does have manushifter.
    Anyhow, most I got was 27.9 MPG all hwy vs 31.7 mpg in old car, hwy trip.
    The new car: I test drove the I-4, and it feels about as fast as the V6 in the 04.
    It is a tiny bit more quiet than the 04.
    But..... my co-signer/spouse said "no way", due to it looking like a honda-acura-toyota, versus the 04's jaguar-"benz"...etc looks.

Another thing, since XG350 came out, it seems they did not make the Sonata as good as the 99 model, maybe to make the XG350 more desirable(same for the Azera coming out now?).

It sort of makes sense, as why make a Sonata as good as the XG or Azera, and for thousands less(and make less money).

So, unless they "fix" this "me-too" looks.....we may end up going elsewhere. I like my 04, it's looks really get people to stare. One guy said it looked like an Infinity(06 look like an Infinity? I don't think so).

Also, the new dash is kind of odd(seems they are planning to fix that for the 07 model?).

06 is good, but so is Fusion, and G6 sedan(and on sale recently, the G6 was something like 1000+ less than Fusion or Sonata 4 cylinders. Maybe not quite as "loaded up".....).
    Anyhow, Take Care/Not Offense
    Happy Holidays.
  • Options
    kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    How about 06 Sonata? If you still have 04 Sonata, you can get GLS v6 for $16,000 after owner's rebate. It will be way more cheaper than Japanese or domestic cars that have less features. You also have to consider that any car with 100,000 miles on it eventually need some fix. Here are some examples from my cars and my family's .... wife's 1994 Accord needed new steering pump, thermostat, and new stereo about 41,000 miles( Right after warranty ran out). 1992 Collola had broken piston rod at 67,000 miles (My sister ended up trade in for 1997 Camry after 2 times repair, still had problems). My 1988 Integra needed new starter at 110,000 miles. Wire broke off that goes through hatch back door cause no defrost, no wiper, and no center brake light ( Have not fixed yet). Have changed driver's side seat belt 3 times (Dealership wanted $299 for new one, I had to get it myself at You-Pull-It). Now Integra has 150,000 miles on it. 2 months ago I had to spent $1,200 for stop oil leaks from 4 places, seized caliper, timing belt, and water pump. My Integra is not even worth for $1,200. I still fixed it because I want to have 3rd car just for the incase. MPG? My wife's MDX supposed to get 17-23 MPG, I see 16 MPG best with city and mainly HWY driving....These are some of defects I can remember. There were many more little problems too. If you think you will not have problems on other brand name cars, it's mistake. At least Hyundai gives you longer warranty.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    My dealership (in south Austin, Tx) does oil changes for 19.95 with a coupon that can be printed from their web site. This includes a wash job and vacuuming the interior. They also have a really excellent waiting area. I have a neighbor that bought from another dealership that says he is also very satisfied with his service. :)
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that I just received a survey from Hyundai regarding my last oil change visit, as I have for everytime I have visited there. It usually takes about 3 weeks from the visit.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I had replaced the timing belt on our 2000 Elantra at a Hyundai dealer, the old belt could have passed for a new one..I asked to see the old part. This at over 80K miles(it is scheduled for repacement @ 60K). It cost about $400.00 and I considered it the cost of ownership. By no means is Hyundai the only vehicle with a belt, our 95 Stratus V-6 also has a belt and it cost more to replace than the Hyundai. Service is expensive at $70 or more per hour anywhere. I wonder, why do you consider the poster "hyundaiguy1" a moron. Am I also a moron because I am realistic about the costs of servicing modern vehicles...I think not?! You have a viable alternative to vehicle repair costs...walk.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Our Elantra had ours changed along with the other belts and our dealer charged about $400 total. We were at 125k on the timing belt and it looked like it could go for some time more.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "However I read somewhere that the chain is not maintenance free. Don't recall the details, but it needs to be checked and possibly serviced at some point (more than 60K miles)."

Your take is generally correct. Timing chains do stretch with extended use, though the engines are equipped with automatic tensioners to take up the slack - up to a point. (Timing belt-equipped engines also have auto-tensioners.) Once the timing chain has stretched beyond the ability of the automatic tensioner to compensate, the chain is subject to flipping off a sprocket. At any engine speed, the fun begins, but quickly accelerates to disaster status at higher engine sppeds. The resulting damage from a flailing chain beating up any and everything it comes in contact with can be DEVE$TATING. I'm neutral in this matter. Timing chains are probably reliable longer than belts, but if and when they do let go, the results can include broken pistons and valves in "interference" engines (just as with broken timing belts) plus extensive damage to the engine front cover or, worse, even the engine block itself. (Imagine being told you need a new engine block and might as well include everything else at 100,000+ miles while we're at it...) The price of a replacement timing belt is less than that of a replacement timing chain, but the difference is outweighed by the labor charges involved in changing either part out. Timing belts are inherently quieter, though additional sound insulation will dampen chain noise. Unlike timing chains, timing belts require no lubrication stream. In short, I don't believe there's a clear winner, here. Neither approach to camshaft drive is a deal buster, and the job would frankly be better served by quiet spiral-cut gears. Timing belts will probably improve in durability/longevity as new chord materials and elastomeric compounds are developed. (I don't doubt the liklihood that improved metallurgy will result in similar improvements in timing chain durability/reliability either. I can even believe the possibility of using advanced, temperature-stable polymers to make very quiet, lube-free, and durable timing chains in the not-so-distant future.)
  • Options
    "How about 06 Sonata?"

I believe harrychezt indicated in his post that he and his wife are somewhat put off by what they feel is the new Sonata's uninspired, "been-done-before" prior generation generic-Japanese exterior and interior styling. To a large extent, I agree with him. The previous generation Sonata did have a hint of continental flavor that clearly set it apart from its Japanese rivals.
  • Options
    I will admit that the previous generation Sonata looks better than the current one especially the front end. But its not enough for me to turn me away from it.

• Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    Hmm I'm the complete opposite. I found the previous generation to be odd looking..outdated styling. I absolutely love the new version as it mimics the Audi lines. Very clean and modern. But styling is subjective so to each their own.
  • Options
    mc229mc229 Member Posts: 15
    In a completely unrelated topic, I was wondering if anyone had found a cold-air intake that fits a 2006 Sonata? Any other mods you would like to share? I've checked online and so far the only things I've found that are specifically fitted for the Sonata are some body kits, brake sets, and floor mats.
    Is there some other vehicle out there that could share most of its aftermarket parts with the Sonata (Tiburon? Elantra?), or have the performance part companies just been slow to adapt?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    dror64dror64 Member Posts: 5
    The 2006 Hyundai Sonata took home a prize as the Best Passenger Car in the $18,000 to $23,000 price range.
    link title
    or
    link title
  • Options
    danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I know that $40 sounds high, but I recently was charged $95 for an oil change and tire rotation in my car. Whats worse is that it was done at my dealership.
  • Options
    nostalgianostalgia Member Posts: 10
    I'm a research engineer belonged to Hyundai-Kia R&D center in Korea as I mentioned before.
    We are surely reading all articles and opinions of this forum and try to find the best way to satisfy our customers.
    I'm very proud that Hyundai and Kia motors are not only for cars but for people as you are hearing, " Hyundai like you've never seen before."
    This means all my co-workers are interested in what people think and what they need more about our work of art.
    You'll see how we consider your opinion and reflect it to the car.
    06 Sonata is the first step to get friendly with you.
    The Azera, new Accent, new Santafe, new Rio, new Spectra, new Optima, new Sedona and it's hybrids.. We are very excited..
    Some people still remind the cars " The cheap price", but we believe smart buyers will think " The value" because a price tag of a coat doesn't show someone's talent.
    You will have more neighbors named, "Hyundai and Kia" soon..
    I'm pleased to be involved in as a comment!

Check out the new Optima (Lotze in Korea)
  • Options
    delta4delta4 Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for the link nostalgia. Very nice interior for the re-designed Optima. Does this mean we can look forward to upcoming interior changes to Sonata as well? It would certainly be welcome considering that the Sonata has such a pleasing, exterior design. I've always felt that the interior was the one area of the car that could use a 'makeover'. Can you give us some idea as to when we should expect to see the interior changes?
  • Options
    I am glad that Hyundai and Kia monitor forums such as this one. Perhaps you have noticed repeated comments about some requested improvements in the Sonata, including:

* Tuning button on steering wheel
    * Greater degree of adjustment for the driver's seat bottom cushion (needs to go higher in front).
    * Folding side mirrors
    * Telescopic wheel on all trim lines
    * Availability of a moonroof with the stick shift
    * Noises in the rear (like "gas sloshing")

And there are others. I know from experience with my Elantras that Hyundai has usually been responsive in making changes in response to customer input. Can you tell us if Hyundai is listening to the input here and if any changes are forthcoming? Thanks!
  • Options
    Some people still remind the cars " The cheap price"...

Hyundai/Kia Cars may be "value cars" buying them... but they become Cadillac/BMW/Lincoln servicing them.

I hate to see Hyundai loose customers after they deal with the "EXPENSIVE DEALERSHIPS" when it comes to Service and Maintenance which will eventually happen. Kia/ Hyundai should exert a certain control over the Dealers Service and pricing practices!

Hyundai should choose their Dealers carefully; otherwise all the good work they have done improving their cars would be in vain!
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Great to hear you are monitoring this forum. It sounds like Hyundai is a manufacturer that cares. The same can not be said for some of my recent autos including Toyota and Jaguar. Keep up the good work and keep being "proud."
  • Options
    I have yet to see any evidence (other than anecdotal, from you) about this "Cadillac/BMW/Lincoln" costs of servicing Hyundais, specifically the '06 Sonata that we are discussing here. Would you care to provide some factual evidence for your statement?
  • Options
    johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    I know at least a couple of my friends will be buying sonata in the next model year as it is the Number one in their list.They do not need the car right away.
    Glad the Hyundai is monitoring Sonata board and next year model will be better as some rough edges can be smoothed out.and improved further.
    The optima 07 is also one to consider as it comes with a 197 HP engine, smaller in size and wt, probably will have epa mileage ratings of 23- 34.We have to wait and see.
    No news about the release date yet for New Kis Optima.
  • Options
    Bingo! You have expressed exactly what we were (still are) thinking.
    I hope this is not a new direction in styling for the whole line up.
    My car does tend to stand out in the crowd.

I like that. Like having that" 30-40K look" for under 20K msrp.

I can tolerate some minor changes, but, this is not our style.

Take Care, Everyone, and Not Offense.
    DAV
    83-94
    USN-USCG
  • Options
    http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_- - order_int/10/article_id_int/757

Magentis overseas, Optima here... picture of 07 Optima?

Says it will have the 2.7 V6, but they "bet" it will get 3.3 liter?

Like the spouse said, why have all of that HP when ya don't really need it?
    I tend to agree. my 04 is fast enough to keep up with traffic, merge onto hwys,etc(but has bad MPG for the V6).

This also says it will be as large as Sonata 06?
    (I may be mistaken here).

I do hope for a refined 2.7, 197HP, and 34mpg.... if GM can have their G6 with 201HP get 32MPG hwy....

Kind of reminds me of an older GM car, Malibu? I dunno.

DAV
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed that the most successful cars maintain some degree of styling continuity from generation to generation? You can look at a forty year-old Jaguar, Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, etc. and immediately recognize what brand it is without getting close enough to read the name plate or view the badge. Used to be Chevies were in that mold, too, but now each successive Impala is just a cookie-cutter rendition of a generic style that could be any one of several makes. That same trend is depressingly evident among new Ford and Chrysler products, too. (When the popular-priced American models do manage to get it right, they still can't wait to either change the design with the next model year or kill it outright! And they wonder why they have to sell 'em at firesale pricing to move 'em while Camcords continue breaking sales records?) Unfortunately, so is the Sonata as far as I'm concerned. To me, it shows a desperation to succeed by a lucky "knockout" punch rather than concentrating on fundementals that would build brand loyalty. I'll admit the new Sonata has a good shot as a major player for U.S. rental car fleets, though, now that the previous rental car fleet king, the Ford Taurus, is no more.
  • Options
    No, I hadn't noticed that. Jaguar is one example, but I would not necessarily call them "successful", and they have no relationship to this class of cars.

Some counter-examples, closer to this class of cars:

* Accord (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th gens were much different from each other)
    * Camry (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gens were all much different. Some similarity between 4th and 5th generation, but new 6th gen is a departure again)
    * Sonata (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations are all different)
    * Fusion (much different styling approach than previous Ford mid-sized cars)

Other counter-examples are:
    * Chrysler full-sized cars (300 could not be more different from the Concorde)
    * Cadillac (completely new design theme in the past few years)
    * Mercedes (three-pointed star is a carry-over, otherwise design of latest models is much different than past generations)
    * BMW (grille is a trademark; otherwise styling is much different now than previous-generation cars)
  • Options
    costs of servicing Hyundais, specifically the '06 Sonata that we are discussing here

Ask your dealer for their regular "Maintenance Cost" 15K/30K and what that includes: "Mostly Inspections", and sometimes they don't even do that! Keep in mind that any part /material is EXTRA: part and labor.
    I asked the dealers around me and their answer was: it doesn't make any difference what year it is!
    If the oil/Filter price is any indication (39.95) ... they will probably raise everything else.
    You may be one of the few lucky ones to have a deal for oil change at 9.95.
  • Options
    Take a good look..it's the same as Ford/Mercury. The Optima & Sonata are the same car with different window dressing. Exterior especially. The only differences are the upper & lower grille inserts, taillights, headlight cluster, and seemingly slightly different side mirrors. The interior is more dressy, but aside from the seat materials, I'm not sure that I like it any better.
  • Options
    I think you replied to the wrong post--I didn't talk about a $9.99 oil change.

But you absolutely do NOT want to ask the dealer for their "regular Maintenance Cost" 15k/30k services!! That is where they toss in services your car does not need. Instead, have your maintenance book in hand, the one that lists the factory-recommended services, and ask the service writer to cost out ONLY those services. You will save a lot of bucks. They other thing you can do is, perform some of the easier services yourself. For example, two items on the 60k service for my Elantra are replace air filter and replace spark plugs. How hard is that to do? Not very. How much would the dealer charge? Quite a bit I bet.

In five years of going to Hyundai dealers with two cars, I've never seen or heard of an oil change costing $39.95. Your dealer is gouging you. Find another one, or go someplace else for routine maintenance like oil changes. For example, a local garage in my area will do oil changes for $14.95. They have been around forever and have a good reputation. So if my Hyundai dealer ever starts gouging me for service, I know where to go.
  • Options
    johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    "...a local garage in my area will do oil changes for $14.95."
    backy, ask him for a quote for a Sonata LX oil and filter change. I bet it will be at least 50% more than his usual price.
    When I took my LX into my regular garage for it's first oil change, I was told they could only get the oil filter from a Hyundai dealer and there was an additional cost for it. :mad:
    Hopefully there will be an after market brand oil filter made for the Sonata soon.
    John
  • Options
    billmdbillmd Member Posts: 24
    I just bought a oil filter cartridge for my 06 Sonata V6 for $18 at my Hyundai dealer. Additionally the V6 takes 6 quarts of oil rather than the normal 5. So the oil changes for my Sonata will be about $15 more than for my V6 Dodge Caravan.
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Re: Replacing plugs
    It was my understanding that it took an MIT graduate or thereabouts to be able to change the 6cyl plugs, especially in the "back". Has this changed?
  • Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    It was my understanding that it just about took a MIT graduate or something like that to change the 6 cylinder plugs, especially those in the back. Has this changed? :confuse:
  • Options
    I just bought a oil filter cartridge for my 06 Sonata V6 for $18 at my Hyundai dealer..."

Someone said they paid around $12, a few posts back... well, It is getting better all the time!
  • Options
    My preference for the 4-cylinder Sonata is looking better all the time. :)
  • Options
    For example, a local garage in my area will do oil changes for $14.95.

There is a mobile oil change place that comes to my work every other monday that charges $19.95. Its great just park your car give them the keys pay for it and its sitting out in the parking lot at the end of the day oil changed and everything. Can't beat that .

• Options
    tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    Hi TB,

Do you find Hyundai dealers are charging higher
    prices than if you have a Toyota or Honda?

I'm interested to know what your experience was
    with high Hyundai dealer high maintenance charges.
  • Options
    The problem with sparkplug changeouts on these motors (and a number of other makes' V6s) is that the intake runners and plenum chamber arch back over the firewall cylinder bank. It has to be removed for access to those three sparkplugs and that makes it a real bugger for do-it-yourselfers because of various brackets and associated bolts at the rear with very limited access space. The bolts connecting the runner casting with the intake manifold casting accessible from the front are a piece of cake. Someone in an earlier post reported he managed, but it took him over five hours.
  • Options
    My preference for the 4-cylinder Sonata is looking better all the time

Don't be too quick to celebrate! My understanding is that Hyundai/Kia use the same filter on all of their engines... I4 & V6 alike.
  • Options
    My understanding is that Hyundai/Kia use the same filter on all of their engines... I4 & V6 alike.

I know for a fact that is not true. I own two Hyundais with I4s and they have a conventional spin-on filter. Also, as was mentioned by someone else, third-party replacement filters will start appearing for the Sonata.
  • Options
    I found from personal experience and at different Dealerships, in different states as well as in the same state and city, the cost of maintenance is outrageous for what Hyundai recommend as Required Maintenance. However like Backy said in in a previous post: Dealers tack on unwarranted service.
    I will not name any dealers but you can easily ask by phone or in person what the cost is for "Regular Maintenance" at 15K/30K as well as in between 7,500K. The cheapest I could find was $250 for 15K and $450 for 30K and this was a new dealer still building up (raising) his "milking cows". Don't forget any part or service to be performed at those schedule interval is EXTRA : Parts and Labor!
    With a bottom Note Reading (in smaller print):
    ADD $39.50 for Automatic Transmission
    ADD: $46.50 for V6.
    If you need a Timing Belt/Drive belt at 60K (for pre 2006 Sonata), you will probably need to mortgage the house when you add it all up!
    I haven't dealt with Honda or Toyota; so I can't tell... but I doubt it is anything close to Hyundai Dealers!
    I had a 2001 Sonata... which I took to Walmart for Oil Changes every 3K for around $15, and did the Inspections and Coolant Change myself... I got rid of it before 60K; because I was going to need new tires /brakes/fuel filter/sparkplugs and, of course Timing & Driving Belts... and I didn't want to mortgage the house for a 4 year old car!
  • Options
    backy, your counter-exmples did a pretty good job of making my point. Thanks! ;)

*Jaguar saloons have always been instantly recognizable by their classic grills. The current S-type shares many styling traits of mid-sixties Jag sedans.

* Cadillac's massive egg-crate grill has remained a fixture from the early fifties.

* Mercedes' segmented grills surrounded by chrome and topped with the "Mystique of The Three-Pointed Star" has been a fixture pre-dating WW-II. The cars, themselves, have changed radically, but all Mercedes sedans of any vintage are instantly recognizable.

* Accord front ends, while not all identical, are instantly identifiable with the marque's centrally placed, chrome-surrounded "H" against a dark background - a motif that the Sonata has "adopted" since its inception. (pure coincidence, I'm sure...) The last two generations of Accords shared the wall-to-wall tail light treatment (thankfully put to well-deserved rest with the re-freshened '06 models!) Hyundai's product planners, probably quietly seething at Honda's unanticipated move, must be scurrying to "correct" the new generation Sonata's tail light treatment to bring their obvious rip-off of the Accord's styling back into line for the '07 or '08 models. (Imitation is the sincerest form of imitation -Yogi Bera. ;))

* The current Chrysler 300s recall, if only in name plate, the Hemi 300s thundering around NASCAR ovals and across Daytona Beach fifty+ years ago. (They were never intended to mimic the derivative Concordes at all as you stated.)

We obviously have a different take on "styling continuity". I never stated nor implied the styling remained locked with every bend and crease - only that certain traditional identity aspects are carried over with successive models. Except for badging (and a derivative of that of the Accord bordering on infringement, no less) Hyundai starts with a clean sheet of paper in all aspects with each successive model. (Well, at least each successive Sonata does have four wheels, so, technically there is some styling continuity involved, I suppose...)

Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzai, and Happy Ramadan, everyone! For all you agnostics and athiests, enjoy your paid time off! For service personnel in Afghanistan and Iraq, keep your heads low and your assault weapons high - and the rest of us hope and pray for your safe return home, soon!