Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    pzykofartpzykofart Member Posts: 46
    Do you have a link to that picture?
  • Options
    Isn't that a Mark-X, though?
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Yes. I doubt the new Camry will look like that since the Mark X is a rear wheel drive sports sedan
  • Options
    tradscotttradscott Member Posts: 108
    How about a history lesson? What is the Mark-X? Is this pretty similar to the new Lexus IS.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Of course not. That is not a Camry.
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Maybe you could show us a good clear picture of the 2007 Camry you seem to have seen already.
    Any pictures I have seen on this site or any other, the car is masked or has a distorted picture from a cell phone cam.
    Please enlighten us why you know so much more about the appearance of the 2007 Camry than anyone else here.
    Some time back, I even posted an article from Edmunds stating it would take cues from the Avensis.

Do you work for Toyota?
    Are you in R&D?

Otherwise maybe you could rephrase your opinions differently rather than just "Of course not".

If you do have some photo's of the 2007 Camry, please share them with us, as I'm sure everyone would love to see them.
    Thanks.........Joe
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That pic has come up several times on this forum. Its not the next Camry. If you want find pics that were from Toyota's internal executive meeting, search this thread. You'll know them because they are partially blocked by a table centerpiece. Additionally, there are spy pics, which you reference, on various automotive websites such as Edmunds.com.

~alpha

PS- Theres a high likelihood that the new Camry, contratry to what Toyota has done historically... will be debuted at the NAIAS in Detroit, early Jan. Look for it then.
  • Options
    Thanks alpha for the info, but I have seen probably every picture imaginable on the 2007 Camry here on Edmunds and other websites.
    And I definitely saw the bad cell phone pix's you mentioned that were taken at a possible Toyota meeting that had the table centerpiece in them.

I was just addressing the poster that he seem's to know what they look like, yet shoots poster's down when they make mention of the possible look of the anticipated new 2007 Camry.

I have seen all the pix's and still most leave much to the imagination.

But thanks for the info anyway's as I alway's appreciate your insight on these Edmund boards.
  • Options
    The cell phone pics are clear enough that anyone can tell that what you posted was not the 2007 Camry.
    The cell phone pictures are a little blurry, but you can still tell what the car looks like.
  • Options
    bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    The September / October TMMK news letter has an article and some internal comments on the 2007 Camry, it's listed as the "044L", Page 5 & 12. No pictures of the car, just people looking at the car.
    Caution for dial up users - it's a 5.89 MB file....

http://www.toyotageorgetown.co...s.pdf
  • Options
    bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    On another message board..... I can't link the forum into Edmunds since it's against the rules. Pick any one of the other Toyota forums out there and you'll find em'. Basically it looks like a little Avalon.

Will the last one to leave please turn out the lights?

Thanks,
  • Options
    I found the pics, basically slightly clearer pics that confirm the original camera phone pics posted months ago:

• Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The front and rear look a lot like the Lexus LS-sh just shown in Tokyo. Not as refined looking of course, but I thought that Toyota would differentiate the flagship Lexus and the Camry more.

We'll see what happens when they do come out.

http://tinypic.com/ergcn4.gif

http://tinypic.com/ergbo0.gif
  • Options
    Isn't the LS-sh just a concept subject to plenty of styling changes before it's actually released?

No one will confuse them anyway. I think the new Camry looks closer to a Mazda6 than anything else.
  • Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Not even close.
  • Options
    I agree. It looks nothing like what 307web mentioned. The side profile looks kind-of boring - a mix of the 4th and 5th generation, in my opinion. The front fascia does nothing for me, but the headlights look like a small improvement.

I hope the Lexus ES receives better styling cues because recent spy pictures show absolutely NO distinction.
  • Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646

It has the Mazda 6 Side profile, and the Mazda 3 Front.

The back looks somewhat like the LS concept.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    would that be the LE model?
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    This is pretty disappointing. From the side, it looks like the roof line and door shape is almost identical to the current version. If they are going to call this a new generation, it seems like they would have moved further from the current version. Just my thoughts. And another car without door side moldings (yuk!)
  • Options
    Its looks a lot better than the current version. Looks bigger and aggressive. I just dont see the Mazda 6 resemblance from this side.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I also don't see any resemblance to the Mazda. From the side it looks like my son's 1999 Lexus ES (particularly the rear). I'll reserve final judgement when it actually comes out (I do like what I see).
  • Options
    I never said it was the 2007 Camry. I just said it "might" look like one because Edmunds themselves had an article stating it would take cues from the Avensis.

I didn't make that up. Edmunds wrote the article.

Anyway's its about time you finally put some pictures up.
  • Options
    Well, you don't see it. I and others see some resemblence to a Mazda6 sedan and even vaguely a TSX on the side profile. The front "grill" style resembles many Mazdas such as the Mazda3.
    Looks more like those than it does a "mini Avalon" (as others had posted before seeing these photos).
  • Options
    I don't see it, either. TSX, even moreso.
  • Options
    Look at the front LF-sh, Mark-X and the new Camry, they have similar hood line. The wheel well are more defined , front and back. The line extending from front to back of the car is more defined giving a broad shouldered look especially at the back. The C pillar has butress just like the Maxima and the back is nothing like any except for the concept LF-sh Short overhang in the front and shorter trunk door giving it a sporty appearance. But I dont think the drive will be sporty though. Sports tuned suspension plus V6 on the SE will take care of that. The Hybrid I4 if they can keep it below 24K will be a hit. Now evrything out there looks dated.
  • Options
    In the spy videos I always thought they were stealing the roof line from the Accord.

I definitely like the front end and it looks like visibility may be better for the rear window.

What are the dangers of buying a first year re-done 2007 camry?
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Dangers? I think none, especially if you go with the 4-cylinder, which will be unchanged, except maybe horsepower and fuel economy tweaks. The car will be on the same platform as the 2002-06 models (like the 1997-2001 was on the same platform as the 1992-96s).

I had a 1997, and it was very reliable (sold at 111K miles).
  • Options
    Very misleading post. The platform is ENTIRELY new.
  • Options
    Very misleading post. The platform is ENTIRELY new

Sez who? Show me a link.

I'm willing to bet that if you put a 2007 Camry up on a lift and compared it to a 2006, it will look the same! The wheelbase will likely be the same as well. Plus it's a given that the auto tranny and the 4-cylinder engine will be largely unchanged.

Even the new Avalon looks like the current Camry underneath, because surprise, surprise, it's on the same platform (stretched slightly).

Hey, how come you get to use an embedded word in your user name that I got called on by the Edmunds' hosts? :P
  • Options
    I dont think its the same pltaform of the present gen Camry. Since Toyota is so secretive with the launching I cant provide any proof bu in the same token we cant conclude that it uses the present gen platform. There is jsut no information coming out from Toyota.
  • Options
    From what I've read , magazines and internet source, it will share the platform of the 2005 Avalon, which is entirely new.

Here's a quote from www.canadiandriver.com reviewer:

"But styling concerns shouldn't distract us from the Avalon's superb new platform and powertrain, which will be shared with the next-generation Camry and other Toyotas. The Avalon is a trailblazer for this new platform and powertrain and I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about it in the future."

Here's the link:
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/05avalon.htm
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    I definitely see the Mazda in the face. ;)

The profile is stone-cold Camry. No major changes thur.

And Lexus LF-Sh in the rear taillights.

The Force is strong with this one!

With more power, room, features, hybrid, I see no speed bumps on the way to 500k sales.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear :shades:

DrFill
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Very misleading post. The platform is ENTIRELY new

I concur with 210delray.

Unless you can provide definite proof otherwise, I am 99.9% certain that the platform is the same as that of the '02-06. My reference is from two who have seen it.

'Yota has a 10 yr cycle on platforms; i.e. two generations per platform. This is the 6th year of this platform and the beginning of the Gen5 model.

It'll be a major restyle and new standard features, but that's it - except the the HSD Camry. Now that's a major change.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I concur also. I am sure the '07 will be on the same platform as the current car. But I need some clarification on another score. I thought the Avalon moved to the current Camry's platform at the last revision a year ago, and was before on the '92-'02 Camry platform? Which, if true, would make the cited Candaian Driver article incorrect or at least misleading?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I thought the Avalon moved to the current Camry's platform at the last revision a year ago, and was before on the '92-'02 Camry platform?

That is my understanding as well, so I think the Canadian Driver article is misleading. As I said before, I've seen the underside of the new Avalon (on a lift), and it looks identical to my 2005 Camry, although the wheelbase is slightly longer. The prior-gen Camry (which I also owned) definitely was different underneath.
  • Options
    Here's another link stating that the 2005 Avalon is an all new platform.
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0503_toyota_avalon/

Two sources says that the Avalon is a new platform. One source says that the new Camry is based on the 2005 Avalon platform.
    take your pick. New or not new? I pick new.
  • Options
    Automobile says:

The Avalon is the first Toyota that is not only styled and built in the United States but is also completely engineered here. The all-new platform and 3.5-liter, 280-hp V-6 were designed in our backyard in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at the Toyota Technical Center, and they'll make their way into many future Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Maybe "all-new" for the Avalon, and certainly the engine is "all new." Not clear if the platform really is all new for Toyota, though.
  • Options
    Looks nice, but can it beat the Sonata GLS by so much that its worth the slight premium and the giving up of that 5/60 warranty?
  • Options
    maxellmanmaxellman Member Posts: 43
    by puting the two in the same post, Sonata has already won. Just don't try to compare a Chrysler to the Camry next.
  • Options
    What do you mean can it beat the Sonata GLS?
    The camry even though its dated already owned the mid-sized market up to now (sales figures in October "only" and you will see camry at #1 in the car market)even though the Sonata has been out in the market for some 4-5 months now. And your asking if it can beat the Sonata?
    What does it tell you? People are willing to pay premium toget a Toyota. This is the question. How long will Hyundai keep the price low and offer so much content with the labor situation going on in S. Korea? Surely the labor cost in Alabama is greater, can they sustain this price level? Their target is Toyota but Toyota is not blinking.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I'm almost certain that the '07 Camry will have a gated/zigzag shifter - something I don't like. All new Toyota's have' em, and will probably pass to the Corolla next. Why do people love those gated zigzag shifter is beyond me. What's the catch?

Probably also no more cassette player, but AUX IN will be offered like the '06 Sienna, so you can connect your cassette player, mp3 player, or DVD player, etc.

I don't like the tail-lights from the Avalon from the side. In the rear it's not so bad, but from the side I like it a little different. And I fear that the new Camry will have similar tail-lights. I like very much the tail-lights of the current Corolla.
  • Options
    I hate those gated/zigzag shifters also -- can someone explain why they're supposed to be so great? Or is it just a matter of copying Mercedes?
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    It is suppose to look fancy. I believe Jaguar had them since like the late 80's.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    It is "suppose" to look fancy? But everything else in the Camry screams "NOT FANCY"!! (save for the optitron gauges).

Anyhow, I don't like it, and I think it's not as comfortable and practical as the regular. If Toyota listens to me, drop it and leave it as is.
  • Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    "How long will Hyundai keep the price low and offer so much content with the labor situation going on in S. Korea? Surely the labor cost in Alabama is greater..."

Factor in transportation costs halfway around the world and U.S. assembly makes just as much sense for Hyundai as it does for Honda and Toyota. I would imagine that Hyundai was the recipient of some attractive corporate state tax rates for a defined period by locating in an area needing jobs, as well as federal tax breaks, too - just as Honda and Toyota received when they located assembly plants in the U.S. Midwest-South and rust belt respectively. Hyundai's target is Honda, not Toyota. In my opinion (one who drives a previous generation Sonata), Hyundai design still has not caught up with either listed Japanese make, though they're making a strong push against Mitsubishi. They have reasonably pleasant, but generic syling, and they have a few of the must-have geegaws available in the U.S., but their basic suspension and powertrain engineering is still 3-4 years behind that of the best from the land of the Rising Sun. The new Sonatas' front seat forward tip is an atrocious design flaw compounded by eliminating the previously standard manual front seat rake adjustability. (Well done, Hyundai chaps - how smashing of you to point out that Americans are simply too large and deserve to be ejected!) In short, among mid-size ricers, the Sonata is still the embodiment of Studebaker and American Motors design philosophy.
  • Options
    The zig-zag shifters are a safety precaution. Prior to our current Camry generation, people have been speeding wrecklessly with their Toyotas. As a result of hard braking, the stick is forced into the upper gears, causing mishaps in acceleration (i.e. accelerating at neutral, reverse, or even park).

I, personally, find it a nuisance - but Toyota's a big fan of safety, and so am I.
  • Options
    The current Sonata is comparable to the current Camry. Stylistically, the Camry is STILL more appealing to me. As far as comfort goes, I'm pretty sure the Camry exceeds the Sonata in every respect (i.e. quietude, smoothness, etc.) I'm guessing the Hyundai might hold the road a little better, but no one considers handling in this segment - so that's easily dismissed. You may get more bang for back, and then some - but as soon as the 07 Camry debuts, Hyundai's back at "disposable" car status.

Someone mentioned the Sonata being the victor. You're quite the comedian.
  • Options
    While I'm too lazy to provide any "hard" proof, I don't agree with you (and I'm sure, I won't ever have to). It will be an entirely new platform, regardless of what you think.
  • Options
    Well, the Sonata placed 1st out of 3 in the recent Edmunds test. Sure, I haven't seen any other tests yet, but Edmunds seems to like the Sonata.

2nd of all- the Sonata costs thousands less than Camry. For some people, its very hard to ignore the sheer lower price of the Hyundai.

And everything is a matter of opinion- that's why there's Accords, Camrys, Sonatas, Fusions, Mazda6's and Malibus for consumers to choose.