Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Moeharri is correct; all automatic tranny Camrys now have foot-operated parking brakes. Only the manual transmission versions have the hand brake.

Maybe you can still find a new '06 LE -- this would have the hand brake.

I disagree about not using the parking brake -- I always set mine; it's simply extra assurance that the car won't roll away.
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    when i park on grades without curbs i always apply the parking brake before putting it in park so the weight of the car isn't on the parking pawl in the tranny. just good practice. then too in the unlikely event i ever had to use it as an actual emergency brake i'd be s.o.l. and lastly it'd bother me to have spent 20k on a new car with a totally inaccesible parking brake.
    in a pinch i can drive a manual tranny but its no fun at all. if a manual tranny were practical i'd buy something like a mazda 6 with a v6 and 5 spd manual gearbox.
    oh well, no use to gripe. nobody wants to hear that.
    dennis
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You really ought to try it, not depend on just the published numbers.

For me, 3 in the back works on my '04 and '05, but my adult son, his wife, and my other adult son are all on the thin side.

Also my wife has sat back there with son and daughter-in-law, and that worked too.
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    '06 doesn't have telescopic wheel. in my current and previous rides i have to sit with the seat farther back than i'd prefer, otherwise my left foot is jammed against the floor. gets unpleasant after about ten minutes.
    another reason the 8 way seat and telescopic wheel combo would be such a godsend.
    just priced the accord and you have to buy the v6 to get the 8 way seat. at about
    $4100 more than the cam i wanted.
    oh well whatcha gonna do?
    dennis
  • Options
    moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    "I disagree about not using the parking brake -- I always set mine; it's simply extra assurance that the car won't roll away. "

I don't know anyone that has ever had a car roll away. Oh well, I guess I'll just live on the wild side and continue not to use mine ;-)
  • Options
    iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I have had my eyes on that gorgeous 2007 Camry. It is beautiful and very nicly lain out. But I am not sure weather to go with the 4 cylinder engines or the 6 cylinder engines. My local dealership told me that the 4 cylinder engines will cost about $17,000 and the 6 cylinders will be around $22,000. While I perfer the 6 cylinder my friend says his 2007 V6 Camry does not come around with its gas promises. It only gets about 20 MPG.It supose to average about 31.So I am not sure which one to buy.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Get the 4 cylinder engine. It gets better gas mileage. But be careful. Make sure that you check out the door jams. I found that the new 2007 Camry has rust issues with the door jams.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The V6 is not supposed to average 31. You might get 31+ if you drive on a very long highway road trip.
    Less than 20MPG is to be expected if you drive in mostly stop and go city traffic with the V6.
  • Options
    bigo08bigo08 Member Posts: 102
    I have never been a Toyota fan.. but i have to hand it to them, the 07 Camry is one of the best cars ive seen.. i have never owned anything but GM n Ford products, but im acutally considering getting a Camry after i finish the lease of my Lincoln LS.
  • Options
    stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    Dont think too much, get the 268 hp 6-cyl version. The mileage is good for this kind of power.
  • Options
    fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    No disrepect, but I have a question. If your injury is such that you can not operate a foot pedal e-brake, how would you operate a clutch? :confuse:
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    I get 27 mpg overall on my Avalon (a larger/heavier car)- 70% highway (at 75 mph). Highway trips at the same speed about 30 mpg. Is it possible to see things like 20 - sure, if you never get it out of town and like to lay a lot of rubber. Then again, if you do that with with any car (even Camry 4 bangers) you won't come close to EPA numbers. While there is certainly nothing wrong with 4 cylinder engines and, for that matter, the extra 2 or 3 mpg - it is that 2GR V6 that turns the Camry (and my Avalon) into a car that is FUN to drive - from a power perspective the best engine that Toyota has ever built!
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    For those interested in this comparo, join us here: Acura TL vs. 2007 Toyota Camry.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Is your "rust issue with the door jams" based on a sample size of one? Isn't it a little soon to be talking about issues with a car that's only been out a month?
  • Options
    That looks pretty decent. Glad to see that my Highlander trip computer is not the only one that is optimistic.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Ditto my Prius.. sometimes the trip computer shows 52+ but calculations indicate 50+.

I am beginning to think though that the equipment used to pump the gas may have a significant effect on the amount put in and therefore the hand calculations. At times I expect to put 9.5 gal and it takes 10.5 while other times the reverse is true.

Normally I just fill it to the auto-shutoff point and do not top it at all. Has anyone else noticed this from station to station?
  • Options
    faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    I have only filled this car up 3 times, and the calculated mileage is between 26+ and 31+ mpg, mostly highway. It is obviously lower with slower and more stop and go driving, but the trip computer is not far off. No more than 1 to 1.5 mpg.

I hope to see the next tank get in the 33 mpg range as the car breaks in.

I have to admit I am babying the car to break it in gently, and I want to see just how good the mileage can be. Once I have it broken in I am going to use the go fast pedal a bit more!
  • Options
    I will be interested to see how the 3.5 liter does at 70-75mph. I'm disappointed in the 3.3 liter in my '05 SE-V6. Rarely do I get better than 26 at steady 70-75 cruising.

The 3.5 is rated 2 or 3 mpg better on the highway cycle so I would expect it to get 30 or so. If it does better than that, why bother with the 4 cylinder? :)
  • Options
    True, my two previous 4c, both 2.2L, only got 30 winter and 33 summer at 60-65 mph.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    sounds kind of ridiculous - 33 mpg with a 270 hp 3300 lb car. actually, you can do it at a constant 55 or so, coasting dwon (and up) the hills - in short driving it like you in a fuel economy competition - and somewhat dangerous as well. The beauty of that V6 is all that power that effectively isn't costing you much at the pump - enjoy it. Otherwise you buy a Prius, put up with a extremely dull ride while you are treated to a video game in the dash.
  • Options
    I think it's great to have this fuel economy. The vast majority of the time you do not need the full power of your engine. But when you do the Camry V6 has tremendous reserve. My old Lexus LS400 was actually less powerful than this Camry. I was able to massage the Lexus on the highway and got 24 to 25 mpg. To be able to get nearly 30% better mileage with the Camry is quite an achievement, I think, considering it uses regular gas and the Lexus uses premium.

The Prius is good at what it does: half again better fuel economy as the Camry, but I tested one and it seemed too narrow for me and the seats seemed small. It lacked power, too: barely adequate. I liked the hatchback design. For what it is the Prius does a good job. I just couldn't buy one. Maybe next time if the Camry Hybrid gets good real world mileage, and is reliable, I will try one out. I do a ton of highway driving (about 2500 miles a month) so reliability is important to me.
  • Options
    With all those miles you'd love the hybrid Camry..
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Just saw an XLE in Blue Ribbon sitting in a parking lot tonight. Had to walk around it twice before moving on. This color is really growing on me. It just might be my favorite 07 color.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    One is enough. I wonder how the one 2007 Camry which I saw at the dealer developed rust inside the door jams? Could it be because it was built in Kentucky and not in Japan. Maybe there is some flaw with the sheet metal oxidizing easily causing rust to appear. I don't know, but I don't like it when a brand new 07 Camry is sitting in the dealer lot with rust between the door jam on the paint job.
  • Options
    zulf_szulf_s Member Posts: 8
    I've been really enjoying my new 2007 Camry SE -- talk about a head turner! I've got the windows tinted and the side body moldings. Later this week, I'll be upgrade the useless factory audio system (non-JBL) with a DLS/Kicker/Alpine system. I will be keeping the factory radio as I want to keep the vehicle looking as stock as possible.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I thought the SE's are suppose to have aluminum foot pedals. Am I imagining this? My car certainly does not have and the Canadian website says it's suppose to have it. My local dealer is pretty useless (like the audio system) so I might have to go to Toyota Canada for a definitive answer. Any insight is appreciated.

p.s. Even with the useless audio system, I absolutely love this car! :blush:
  • Options
    I really wanted to get one but the timing was not right. I had to make a decision on the old car, which needed new tires and a front end alignment, and I was concerned something might break costing me more money than I wanted to pour into the car.

I think the Hybrids will be loaded when they come out and without any discount off of MSRP. They will have a $2000 tax credit but that will be reduced to 50% probably in the 4th quarter, and then again about 6 months later to 25%.

Maybe in 3 years I will look at them.
  • Options
    I am surprised actually to read here on the TCH forum that the other regions are starting to get the statistics on the first allocations and about 50% of the units seem to be the base model at just under $27000. I'm glad to see that on Toyota's part
  • Options
    70% highway driving is still alot and I wonder about that number's accuracy even then since people the Avalon forums are posting numbers like 17 mpg in city driving and they aren't "laying rubber."
    However 70% highway driving vs mostly or all city driving will make a massive mileage difference.
  • Options
    Because people drive in the city also and owners are reporting much more dramatic mileage differences in mileage between the V6 and 4 cylinger during city driving. Plus the 4 cylinder costs much less to buy and maintain.

I guess people who do nothing but drive on 300 mile highway vacation trips will see little mileage difference between 4 and V6 engines.
  • Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    I was looking inside of an SE that just happened to have the rear center armrest down and it looked like it had a locking center pass-thru. I don't see this anywhere in the specs. If it does, it is good news since many times, it comes in handy when you buy a broom, rake, etc.
  • Options
    It does have a 'ski' hole pass through at the center armrest. I will check when I go out to the car if it locks.
  • Options
    francfranc Member Posts: 20
    I have a issue with the 2007 Camry 4 cyl. that I purchased last week. It has a five speed auto transmission, and it doesn't know what gear to be in. It struggles just like the four cyl of the past. I'm Going to take it back next week to have it checked out. If this is any indication of their new transmission, it will be a flop. No one is going to put up with continuous back shifting and hesitation. My 2004 Camry had get up and go. If this had been my first Camry it would have been my last...and now rust to worry about!
  • Options
    andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Well 26 mpg isn't that bad if you are cruising at 70-75 mph. I believe the 3.3L engine is rated 20/29 right ? So if you keep your speed under 70, you could get close to 30 mpg on the highway. Gas mileage goes down significantly over 65 mph.
  • Options
    Hmmm.. first time poster.

To be clear? You say that you had a 2004 Camry that "..had get up and go." But this new 2007 "...stuggles like the four cyl of the past." Which was it exactly?

Noone else has mentioned rust except one poster who wishes that the vehicle he purchased was not made in KY. I wouldn't be concerned about rust issues ( see my previous post back in this thread ).

After 500,000+ miles in four Camry's over 16 years I will unreservedly recommend that you can drive your beautiful new Camry for 15 yrs .. just take care of it.
  • Options
    I can't speak for the Canadian version, but in the US it is an accessory that can be added. They can be found here for $33.75 USD: Toyota OBX Racing Pedals
  • Options
    skouly1skouly1 Member Posts: 1
    Zulf, in speaking with a number of salespeople at various Toyota dealerships in the GTA area of Toronto, I've learned that there was a problem with the aluminum foot pedals. Apparently, the ones that were originally installed kept slipping off, as they were only stick-ons, rather than the screw-on type, causing a potential safety issue. I was told that this was being addressed by Toyota Canada, but I haven't heard of a solution so far. Perhaps your call to Toyota Canada might get a current solution.

Please let us know what you finally end up with regarding upgraded audio. I'm also looking at getting a 2007 Camry SE V6 without the JBL system (not a fan of leather), and didn't really like the base audio unit. Cheers.
  • Options
    supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    The Canadian SE should come with these as standard:

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/6503/sportspedals5ee.png
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    I personally wanted the SE, but the one that will be available in the dealership in 2 weeks includes even the options I really do not care about, i.e. heated outside mirror, 8-waypower driver seat, heated front seats, leather, sunroof - so much so that the price is just a few $ less than an XLE that will also be available at the same time that the SE comes in. Maybe it is because I really want to have a NAVI that is why most of these options are included.

It is more a personal preference that I like how the SE looks, but my wife does not really mine if we get the XLE. (I am 56; do you think SE still looks good on me?).

Considering that the XLE does not cost that more than the SE that will be available, around $500, am I better off getting the XLE? I know that there will be personal differences, but that is exactly what I want to find out to help me out. If I can only get the navi option on the SE, it will be a no brainer – I take the SE. Thank you.

FiloD
  • Options
    francfranc Member Posts: 20
    Could this be the reason that the 2007 Camry transmission keeps shifting gears, up and down, then hesitating and breaking, even on level roads?
  • Options
    Have you driven both trims? The SE has a sport suspension setup and they feel very different on the road. The XLE being close in price to the SE means you are getting less in it (options wise) since the XLE costs more and adds climate control, reclining rear seats, and optional Smart Key. The SE has the sport suspension, body aero kit, and wheel/tire combo. I too was set on getting Nav, but also was dead set on the SE. I don't think you'll find one with Nav but without the other stuff like power seat pckge.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Oh no Troll alert
  • Options
    I guess the only reason I'm disappointed in 26 mpg is because my Olds Intrigue got 29-30, although it didn't have the get up and go of the Camry. I'm going to keep it at 70 on my next highway trip and see how it does. Will also try premium.
  • Options
    Could this be the reason that the 2007 Camry transmission keeps shifting gears, up and down, then hesitating and breaking, even on level roads?

Could you elaborate and cite which magazines specifically were 'slamming' the '07 Camry. Everything I've read is over the top positive across the board on every part of this Generation. This is why it seems weird that you've experienced such a peculiar problem on your new 4c.

BTW VSC / Trac have nothing to do with gear shifting.

Going back to my original question on the 2004 vs the 2007, which was the real situation?
  • Options
    master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Premium actually burns faster so it wont be accurate. Regular burns normally so you will get an accurate number.
  • Options
    If using premium saves gas and saves enough gas to more than offset the additional cost, why not just make all cars run on premium then and get rid of regular?
  • Options
    ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    The car has an adaptive system where it learns how the driver drives for the first 100 miles or so, maybe that's why it's so shaky for now.
  • Options
    keith61keith61 Member Posts: 6
    I have been looking at the Camry in the Chattanooga Tn. area. I have followed this forum and thought I may get a decent price. When I was given a price it was $200.00 under MSRP. I was told that they can sell the new Camry faster than they can get them in.

Does anyone know anything about Cars Direct? What is the deal?? IS there a catch?

Thanks
  • Options
    It can be 'turned off/disabled' using the same procedure as on the Lexus that can be easily found searching the net. I tried it on my SE, and it worked like a charm.
  • Options
    torn8otorn8o Member Posts: 31
    Like you, I prefered the look of the SE to the other models... that was my primary reason for buying the SE. If that's what you prefer too, go for it. :) If you don't want all the options, you may have to special order it though. In some cases this seems to make getting a great deal more difficult. (I paid about $400 over invoice on a black SE with many of the options you listed... but it was sitting on the lot).
  • Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Could you elaborate and cite which magazines specifically were 'slamming' the '07 Camry. Everything I've read is over the top positive across the board on every part of this Generation.

I know that Car And Driver, Motor Trend and also some on-line reviews were really disappointed in Lexus on the new GS and IS for not being able to turn off the traction control and Vehicle Stability Control. They said that the systems were so intrusive that the cars were no nearly as fun to drive as BMW. They felt that Lexus went overboard in taking control away from the driver. I don't recall which reviews also criticized the Camry but there were definitely some that did. They were not saying it is a bad car, on the contrary, they really like it but wished this stuff could be turned off if a true driving enthusiast wants to do so. Maybe I overstated their position by using the term "slamming".

This is why it seems weird that you've experienced such a peculiar problem on your new 4c

I am not the person who reported this problem. I only posted the original article in this thread.

BTW, this procedure that was mentioned for turning off the system on Lexus that also worked on the SE, does that turn off traction control, VSC or both?