Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Based on the dummy lights, it is just the traction control. Although I don't think I ever want to get the car in a pickle that will induce the VSC into action.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I am not the person who reported this problem. I only posted the original article in this thread.

I understand and your point was correct. I was was responding to the OP that VSC / Trac was what the mags were complaining about while the OP was likely 'trolling' around here stating that the mags were 'slamming' Camry's / Lexus' for gear hunting problems. Which just isnt true

VSC / Trac have nothing to do with the transmissions.

I sense he was just throwing out non-sequitor negatives onto what have thus far been nearly universally positive reactions to the new Gen Camry.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    your Intrigue possibly that venerable GM 3.8 liter pushrod V6? about 200 hp and some reasonable torque, specifically tuned (gearing etc.) for mpg and durability and not half the engine that is in your Camry from a performance point of view. 'HP is not free', but these new V6s even tempt that adage. The new Camry a good example of that - is 100+hp worth a coupla three mpg?
    The 2GR V6 engine you have will pick up a few extra ponies if you use premium, but mpg not likely to change.
  • Options
    petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Hi 'spyder'

Your knowledge of the Camry is vast. In what state is your dealership? :)

thanks
  • Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    I agree about the nearly universal praise. In fact, most of the reviews love the new 6-speed automatic stating that it always seems to know exactly which gear to be in.
  • Options
    the enthusiast magazines don't necessarily have any problem with VSC/TRAC except in those cases where those systems limit the ultimate handling/evasive capabilities (something they explore routinely) of the car being tested. For some reason several mfgrs. will have these systems intervene at levels well below what the car is actually capable of. Toyota/Lexus as well as Daimler/Chrysler both generally take this approach and those magazines in question will 'slam' those 'offending' vehicles especially when those sytems can not be disabled.
  • Options
    Which is what is amusing, since the Toy/Lex system can be disabled...it just takes more than pushing a button. (A combo of depressing the brake pedal and engaging the E-Brake in a specific order).
  • Options
    yep, read about that - an unbelieveably convoluted sequence that you better have written instructions in front of you for. Certainly not in any of those car's manuals and, therefore, not designed to be done by the driver.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Thank you, :)

SE Virginia.. Hampton roads area
  • Options
    petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Curious. Can the VSC be re-engaged by reversing the sequence?

Thanks
  • Options
    It is the traction control, not VSC that gets disabled and the only way I know of to re-engage it is to restart the car.
  • Options
    suksuk Member Posts: 8
    Camry V4 LE or SE with following options

I am Looking to buy Camry 2007 V4 either LE or SE in NY/NJ/CT/PA Area with following options
    Exterior Color preference Grey
    Interior Color preference Dark Charcoal or Ash

VSC (Vehicle Stability control) Must have
    WB (Alloy Wheels) Prefer to have it
    EJ (Upgraded Sound system) Nice to have
    EC (Mirror) Nice to have
    Leather Nice to have

I don't care about rest of the stuff

Any idea what should be the realistic price fro it ?
    I think LE with above option minus leather should cost about 21K + TTL
    and SE should be 21.5K + 1K for leather +TTL

Does it make difference to place order vs. buying from available inventory.
    Any recommendations...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi suk, welcome!

Actually, the other place you posted this is the right place for the conversation.

Good luck! Come on back here and let us know how it goes.

Here's the link for anyone reading here that would like to respond:

suk, "Toyota Camry: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #2738, 19 Apr 2006 8:47 am
  • Options
    mary99mary99 Member Posts: 65
    Hi guys! Is there a way I can watch local inventories? I want to hold off on buying until inventories build up some, and I would love to know when certain combos (XLE w/nav, e.g.) hit the lots so I can go see them. I've been in touch with 5 or so local dealers and none of them are capable of getting back to me on something like this. (Really, they're mostly incapable of returning a call or replying to an email.) THANKS.
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Congratulations on your new SE. Can you share some of your driving experiences with your SE V6?

Is the $400 over invoice, the invoice out of Edmunds website? Thanks again..
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Could someone actually post the link with the sequence to disable VSC, or the actual sequence if not too difficult? I have VSC, and can't find the Lexus reference, so it may be handy to have.

SuperGoop...thanks for the quick response
  • Options
    supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    Once the car is started, you have thirty seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in approximately fifteen seconds but, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off.

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
    2. Start the engine.
    3. Engage the parking brake.
    4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    6. Disengage the parking brake.
    7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
    8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
    9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
    10. Release the brake pedal.
    11. Engage the parking brake.
    12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
    13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

When “Check VSC” is displayed in the multifunction display along with the “Trac-off” icon indicator, you’ll know that you have successfully completed the procedure.

Source: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/0601_lexus_gs430_vsc/
  • Options
    and all this must be done in 30 secs. or it doesn't work and this assumes that the Camry system works the way. Actually, if you think about it, the thing you may want to disable intentionally is traction control - in cases when you are about ready to drive on some snow covered road conditions and/or need some wheelspin to get yourself unstuck. VSC, on the other hand - a different story - being capable of either stopping you from getting in trouble while moving or possibly preventing you from avoiding trouble. It really can work both ways. But, even with a dash switch, not something that you'd have enough time to disable or enable in the event you really needed (or didn't want) it.
  • Options
    johny641johny641 Member Posts: 15
    I Have owend the 2007 Camry SE 3.5L V6 for about a month now and I absolutley love the car. It is definatley one of the quickest Toyota's ever. I recently raced it against a 2005 Cadillac CTS which had full pipping exhaust and a K&N intake and I Burned it. I also raced it against a 2003 M3 with intake and exhaust and was suprised that I only lost by one cars legnth and I was actually keeping up and gaining after 65MPH. I currently have A Flowmaster exhaust system on it that sounds awesome. I am looking for a K&N intake that I could add. I am also getting some 19" black rims with a 3" chrome lip soon which should give me better handeling. I have also ordered a reprogrammer for the ECU which claims to add 25 Horespower, I will let you know the results on that as soon as I recieve it. Does any one else have ANY suggestions for what I could possibly do to the car to make it FASTER and niccer? Please let me know.
  • Options
    now here's an interesting concept - a drag racing Camry! Better make sure that those oversize tires/wheels weigh as much as possible as to have as much adverse effect possible on your braking, ride, and handling. New ECU chip about the only real way to coax a few extra horses, at the cost of your warranties, of course.
  • Options
    supergoopsupergoop Member Posts: 46
    I'd like to see a professional 0-60 acceleration test with the traction controled disabled, just for fun! Road&Track sited 6.1s, but noted VSC/TCS may have held it back.

I want to see the '07Camry smoke some tires!
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    according to road and track (April & May), the camry V6SE has a comparable performance to IS350

Model...Quarter Mile(Time@Speed)...60mph time...700ft Salom
    Camry...14.5sec@99.9mph............6.1sec.......63.6mph
    IS350...14.5sec@98.6mph............6.0sec.......61.3mph

This is very suprising since the IS350 has 40 more horsepower with 130lb extra weight compare to camry, plus it is a RWD. Just dont understand how could the camry has better quarter mile speed :confuse:

Camry is also faster than both 330 and TL 6 speed
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Camry is also faster than both 330 and TL 6 speed

Faster by what? A tenth of a meaningless second?

Once the TL gets the benefit of its redesign (like the Camry got) it'll surpass the BMW and the Lexus.
  • Options
    gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    IS350...14.5sec98.6mph............6.0sec.......61.3mph

Something must be wrong with R&T driver that day :)

They got IS350 more than half second slower :blush:
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The 2007 Camry 4 cylinder and 5A team are the EXACT same team as the 2006 4 cylinder and 5A team, with a few tweaks to NVH of the 4 and a higher redline (and few more hp). The transmission is the SAME.

~alpha
  • Options
    and my heavier Avalon at 6.0, 14.6 @99, C&D last summer.
    but you know what - it really makes not a lot of difference - my car, SEs, TLs, ISs etc. etc. not drag racers - simply good cars with decent power. About 40 years ago folks might have made car buying decisions by 0-60 or quarter times, cars really have become so much more than just that since then.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    who cares if the 1/4 mile time is 14.5 or 14.6 or 15.0 for that matter? Once you get in the sub-16 second range in a 1/4 or sub-8 range in 0-60, you've got all the power you need for any normal driving situation. I guess at this point it becomes an ego thing and only important to teenage boys (or adults of that mental age). :)
  • Options
    I personally timed my self with turning off the traction control on my 2007 Camry SE V6 and using the sequential shift and shifting at 5 RPM meaning it really changes at 6 RMP I was timed going form 0-60 in 5.7 seconds on a track. Altough it may seem just a car, I am a teeenage boy who just got my license and I do tend to race with my friends and 0-60 times and the speed of my car means alot especially when my camry beats and humiliates cars such as BMW, and the recent G35 coupe (automatic) that i raced today for 0-60 and beat. By the way my car has a Flowmaster exhaust added to it so i dont know if that really helps me.
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    It is one generation ahead of the current LS in terms of navigation/bluetooth functionality.

The 2007 LS will be upgraded to this generation of nav plus it will have added functionality (e.g. real-time traffic).
  • Options
    I can only assume you are referring to the Ebay ECU thing. Save your money. It is a wire and a CD-Rom. It tries to fool your ECU in thinking the air coming into the engine is colder than it is which can cause problems in other things. The car hasn't been out long enough for someone to make a real ECU flash for it. Plus, if/when one does exist, it will cost hundreds of dollars and will be sold by professional performance shops/dealers not by some outfit on Ebay.

How did you do the K/N intake. They aren't making a drop in filter, let alone a cone filter. Did you make some custom tubing and put a universal cone on it? How did you maintain the sensor connections? Can you post some pics?
  • Options
    It is only the traction control that gets disabled, and it works. I agree, and wouldn't do it unless on the track. Except for in my garage parking spot when I tested it ;) The yellow traction control light comes on to indicate it is disabled.
  • Options
    Ya it is the ECU thing I purchased on ebay for about $40 and was woundering your experience with it and if you installed it on your car what kind of car you had and what effects it had. And I didnt add the K&N Intake I just mentioned i was waiting for one to come out for my car but I did change the air filter to a High Flow K&N airfilter it uses the same model as the Avalon 3.5L V6.
  • Options
    I was woundering what car and model you were trying the traction VSC control disabling method on because I tried it numerous times on my 2007 Camry SE 3.5L V6 and for some reason it doesn't work cause no light comes on.
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    A switch would be much simpler, but I guess Toyota doesn't trust us as do other manufacturers who offer VSC systems.
  • Options
    cantfish2muchcantfish2much Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know if there is a subwoofer output you can get to on the audio system on a 2007 Camry XLE to add you own subwoofers? For that matter, does anyone have a link to what type of JBL audio system is in the XLE?
  • Options
    dimitri0917dimitri0917 Member Posts: 5
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see the next gen Solara conv. and coupe.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    jbl toyota .com
  • Options
    jeffw330jeffw330 Member Posts: 13
    Interesting technique - I take it that once the car is turned off, the computer resets to default with the Traction Control set "on"?

I test drove a 2007 Camry V6 XLE today with VSC to see two things: 1. how intrusive the VSC was, and 2.whether the manual shift gate operation would be overriden by the automatic transmission at relatively high RPM. For driving pretty fast on banked turns (60-65 MPH where 35 is the recommended speed) the VSC did not seem to kick in. For me, at least, it is not intrusive. The AT did not override the manual selection of gears at the 5000 RPM level with both downshifting and upshifting, which seemed fine to me.

So for the average person, my guess is that the VSC system is not intrusive. If you need more sports car like performance, the V6 models can be had without VSC or traction control. Alternatively, one could buy a sportier car. The Camry is a comfortable, quiet, and historically reliable people hauler. The V6 is smooth and pretty powerful, but not in a torquey, explosive way like a Subaru WRX STI model.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    That's why if I buy the 2007 Camry, I want it to have the 5 speed manual transmission in it. I will never buy an automatic Camry. They are sluggish and the transmission doesn't go into gear smoothly. The 5 speed manual doesn't have this problem.

Also, I hope that Toyota works out the rust problems with the door jams. I would hate to own a brand new Camry that has rust problems because it was built in Georgetown, Kentucky. :sick:
  • Options
    Return it and get your money back before butchering the wiring in the car to install it. It is junk, and a waste of money.

Hmm, the Avalon filter fits...that's good to know.
  • Options
    Well, seeing as the 'rust' was apparently a single car sitting on a lot, I wouldn't call for a recall just yet ;)
  • Options
    I have an SE V6 also. It worked fine. The yellow traction control light on the lower right corner of the instrument cluster will come on when you get it right.
  • Options
    tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    Please pardon my ignorance but I have never driven a car with the manual shift gate/sport shifter or whatever it's called. Can someone explain it's basic operation, e.g., what happens when you pull the shifter towards you or push is away from you ( what does the '+' and '-' mean )?

Thanks!
  • Options
    heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Hey did you fit 3 people in the backseat when you tried it out, I would like to know how it went, God Bless.
  • Options
    cantfish2muchcantfish2much Member Posts: 3
    Actually I have found out more on the audio system in the 2007 Camrys. The head unit in the car is identified by the letters/numbers on the faceplate of the unit. Mine is a '5' which indicates the head unit is made by Panasonic. Now I need to try and find out which Panasonic unit it is. There's nothing further on Toyota that describes anything about the Panasonic head unit. I have a customer support email into them to find out more.

The Toyota web page says NONE of the head units are made by JBL.

=========================
    Toyota partners with several different component suppliers. To determine the manufacturer of the head unit, match the first digit of the model number on the faceplate to the corresponding manufacturer below.

* 1,2,3, or "A1", "A2", "A3" = Fujitsu-Ten

* 5,6,7, or "A5", "A6", "A7" = Panasonic

* "AD" = Delco

* “L” = Alpine (Dealership Installed 3-Disc CD Changers only)

* Matrix Audio System with DVD Navigation = Delphi

Toyota JBL audio systems include JBL speaker and tuning components. JBL does not manufacture the actual head units.

Since the sound system is assembled into the car by Toyota, Toyota is the general manufacturer of the sound system. If you have a question or comment about the sound system, please contact us or your local Toyota dealership. Our agreement with the audio designers is that any inquiries regarding Toyota sound systems be submitted to Toyota.
    ==========================

Here's the link:

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=49- 25&p_created=1058323524&p_sid=CsuQbv5i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX- 2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTQmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZ- T0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9amJsIGF1ZGlv&p_li=&p_topview=1
  • Options
    for the average driver normal driving, you should almost never hit the point the point where VSC has anything to do with how your car reacts. It is those very infrequent times that you do push the car beyond what the computer 'thinks' you can handle that the VSC either becomes a problem or a savior. Effectively what happens when VSC activates is that the car becomes sluggish and does not respond normally to throttle and steering inputs and can also apply the brakes for you - you'll know it if it happens because, all of a sudden, the car literally goes 'dead'. And that's great if you are doing what you were trying - probing your car's handling limits because it will stop from from getting in 'too deep'. Conversely, it can interfere with emergency manuevers such as accident avoidance- in those cases, where the system activates at a level below the car's capabilities.
    The point for those folks out there that feel VSC and related systems are a 'must have', is that they also need to understand is that with anything like this that takes control of the car away from the driver, there is some bad that comes with the good.
    PS - you sure didn't make any friends at that Toyota dealer if you were pushing the car that hard on a test drive!
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    VSC will save your bacon -- it doesn't make the car "sluggish." Typically, only one wheel is briefly braked and the throttle may be reduced, again briefly. Here's a concise explanation of how it works:

http://public_proof/ratings/esc/esc_explained.html

Also, check out the "video" link in the following (left hand column):

http://public_proof/ratings/esc/esc.aspx

Plus, studies have shown VSC (or electronic stability control as it's generically called) is very effective in the real world:

http://public_proof/sr/pdfs/sr4001.pdf

Right here on Edmunds we have a complete thread on stability control, with extensive links to other sources:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef3b403/403

BTW, those lunatics at the car magazines just don't like having their "fun" taken away from them.
  • Options
    agree, but that extra HP is generally one of the more important safety features of the V6 vs the 4 - meaning having what is necesaary to avoid accidents. Pink slipping in a Toyota product a novel concept - with apologies to the straight 6 Supra of the early 90's - the 3.5 V6 the best engine that Toyota has ever produced from a performance standpoint. We'll just have to wait and see if it also can meet those same reliability standards of the 4 banger and the smaller V6s.
  • Options
    OK, whatever you say. And yes it can save your bacon and for that matter put that bacon in the fry pan depending on how it's implemented in any particular car. I guess this is a little like attacking motherhood, not PC.
    Hope you never end up in a situation like I was that I needed to throw my car into an accelerating high speed fishtailing swerve to avoid an accident - I saved my own bacon instead of relying on some silly computer to stop me from doing it. But, this was all 'nonsense'!
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    To beat a train across railroad tracks or something? Justifying the V6 power as a safety requirement is a stretch.