Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    As always, there is no perfect solution for everyone, especially since cost has to be factored in. So, add a power lift gate to the EX, and the folks that want it are happy, the ones that don't get mad because they end up paying more for a gizmo that could be prone to problems down the road.

I'm in the camp of it being not needed or wanted, but I also would like to not have power doors either. But, I think a moonroof is essential equipment. To each his own.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sat in a cloth EX for the first time last night. Pretty comfy seats, much better than the precious model IMO. Very easy to get a nice angle, and my foot hit the gas perfectly when I had the front tilted up for thigh support. Very nice.

I agree that a telescopic wheel would be a nice feature. I could get situated OK without it, but it would make it easier, and give a bit more flexibility.

• Options
    soyyo1soyyo1 Member Posts: 18
    i had the nissan quest 2004,,uf was bad they give me my money back,,uff thanks God,,,but i miss it wowww what a van,,,now i got sienna 2005
    awd limeted/nav/dvd plus little be more...i look the honda 2005 first,,the best of them,,,dealer tough they found gold,,,so just look honda and i say good bye,,,now i drove my sienna from Boston, to orange,ca,,,wowwwwww what a great van..,,,...what i pay was lets then the honda and better van...toyota is toyota holda the value more....
  • Options
    ch1313ch1313 Member Posts: 12
    I own Nissan Quest 2004. Before I bought this van, I looked into Sienna and Odyssey. I've never regretted buying the Quest. Like all cars, there are certain things in Quest that I thought could have done better.

Sienna is the most expensive of all three. I save at least $5 G with my Quest, with all the safety features.

Honda has 2 years to redesign its 2005 Odyssey. Sad to say that during these 2 years, Honda only upgraded the engine, rounded the looks and added gadgets. You would think that Honda would design the second row seats to fold down like Caravan and Quest. Well, Honda designers had their eyes and ears closed. Quest doors open the widest of all minivans. You would think that Honda would redesign its doors to do that. When Quest came out last year, all reviews berate its doors for having railing in the middle. Surprise, 2005 Odyssey has the same design. Odyssey's lazy susan is an innovative idea. But to take advantage of the cargo area, you have to move things around in the seating area. You either put in the extra seat or put in the lazy susan. Yes the idea is innovative, but not thought through.

The new 2005 Odyssey did not break any new grounds. Might as well wait for 2007 Odyssey to see if Honda will ever listen to the needs of American family, who needs space to carry kids, move stuff in the van without breaking backs.
  • Options
    motmot Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone who bought a 2005 Odyssey really miss the rear vent windows that open? Really like this our current van for getting good airflow throughout the vehicle after its been parked in the sun. One of the items that's leaning us towards a Sienna. Struggling with whether this is really a big deal or not.

Any advise?
  • Options
    observer2observer2 Member Posts: 4
    'just bought the Sienna 05 XLE Ltd AWD w/ Navi.
    I paid 38800plus tax. I also waited to see the honda.'

WOW that is a good price!!!... How did you manage to get that? I spoke to a local dealer (in MA) and they are asking $41k+tax for the same!!! And they say I have to wait 2 months for the color I like :-(

I have been looking at both Odyssey and Sienna for a month now. I think both mini-vans are just exceptional. But I am leaning towards a Odyssey Touring with Nav. If I get AWD for the same price (around 39k) I might consider a Sienna.

Just because some people already bought a minivan last year, they talk trash about other models. I think they should growup! Lets discuss like adults.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    WHAT ???

I think you really need to go back and review the MANY changes Honda made in 2005! It's a totally different car!

They looked long and hard at folding second row seats and decided against them. Their extensive research discovered that in most cases, people would be sitting in them and that the folding option would seldom be used.

They chose to go with comfortable seats instead of the hard thin seats the "stow and go" requires.

Of course, they can't please everyone and there will always be a few people that aren't happy.

Exactly why choices are a good thing!
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    "It's absolutely gorgeous as vans go"

I think it's about even with the Sienna.

Just wait until BMW comes out with a minivan for 2007. If they do make one as some predict (Motor Trend), I bet it will be the best looking minivan in the market.
  • Options
    'Don't be confused by cheap imitations.
    I remain the one, the original "badgerfan" '

You guys are killing me!
  • Options
    "obvious that the Honda Odyssey is still the benchmark; refer to Intellichoice, Consumer Guide, etc. Go Honda!"

Go BMW!

Oh, I'm sorry, am I in the wrong forum? :-)
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I agree with you. I use these rear vent windows to cool off the van, too. I guess you could just open the power lift gate. Oh, that's right...the Odyssey doesn't have that either! (Other than PAX-laden Touring model).
  • Options
    I think you will mostly miss the vents on the moonroof models. Its the quietest way to relieve the pressure differential to eliminate the thumping noise. I crack the ones on our Quest for this reason when the roof is open.

I guess will just crack a 2nd row window instead.

• Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I agree with isellhondas but go further to say power sliding doors are also un-necessary gimmicks as are sun/moon roofs.
         I would like it even better if Odyssey EX did NOT have the power sliding doors and cost $800 less but still have separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers + those very attractive alloy wheels.
  • Options
    acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Observer2,

I live in NJ, picked the car up in charlotte,NC.
    cost was 170 for a ticket and 40.00 gas on top of that price. if you're interested, email me at acenj1@aol.com.

aceman
  • Options
    revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    I think it's about even with the Sienna.
    Actually, the current Sienna is more online with the previous generation Odyssey as once again Honda has pushed the envelope to a higher level.
  • Options
    All depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle, but I begin to wonder when consumers compare their vehicle to something else as the Odyssey being so Acura like or a Sienna being so Lexus like..it is what it is...period.

I find the assessments of Intellichoice and ConsumerGuide to be accurate.

Once Honda starts selling below MSRP, it might be the better value. Actually, refer to the publications I mentioned and you will see why the Odyssey is a superior value to the Sienna (even the previous generation Odyssey was).
  • Options
    The new 2005 Odyssey did not break any new grounds.

Well...hmmmm....on second thought for someone that makes a statement like that, it is not worth it....never mind.
  • Options
    You sir have become such a joke in this forum that I hope you realize that nobody takes a thing you say seriously.

Only reflects the shallow views of some individuals.
  • Options
    3bebe3bebe Member Posts: 18
    Andrew,
      Read under Edmund's Headlines section. It is titled "No Minivan for BMW". I hope they are wrong but it says a minivan is not for a dynamic driver. I was dreaming about it just like you!
  • Options
    stewbaccachewstewbaccachew Member Posts: 23
    "You sir have become such a joke in this forum that I hope you realize that nobody takes a thing you say seriously."

"Only reflects the shallow views of some individuals. "

Revit. I apologize. I was out of line. Was having a bad day.
  • Options
    stewbaccachewstewbaccachew Member Posts: 23
    regardint the potential CAL vs Wisc Rose Bowl. Hey, I can dream can't I ?? I've been suffering with CAL football for so long. The last time CAL won a rose bowl was 1938. Oh please let them get there in my lifetime !!
  • Options
    chiawchiaw Member Posts: 92
    how did honda pushed the envelope to a higher level??

Did honda offer HID with manual height adjustment? This is a huge plus when driving in the night. I guess night vision is not important.

Did honda offer AWD? I guess winter traction is not important.

Other than the nav, the 05 odyssey is not that well designed minivan. The HVAC control is too busy, interior plastic is cheap. The leather quality is also poor. 3rd row seat is too narrow. PAX tire is a huge drawback.

When i was in college back in east coast, i had an incident that i went through a deep potholes that took out the right front and rear tires and wheels. With PAX non-stadard size tires and rims, you only can go to the dealer to replace it. If the dealer is out of stock, you are out of luck.

Odyssey took several steps back in the new van. It's not an impressive van. In fact it missed on quiet bit of important things for a minivan.
  • Options
    "Actually, the current Sienna is more online with the previous generation Odyssey as once again Honda has pushed the envelope to a higher level."

Is that why I still see the same five '05 Odys on the lot, but see only one '04 Sienna on the lot next door?

The new Ody is leaps and bounds above the Sienna and so everyone and their dogs are buying the Ody like crazy instead of the Sienna. So why are the Odys not selling? I see people looking at them, like I do, but I don't see anyone buying them.

In 1999, people were buying them like crazy.
    Now they are just sitting on the lots collecting dust.

Okay, I still prefer the Ody's NAV over the Sienna, but to be practical, which I am somtimes capable of being, they are even---except for the NAV:-)

They both look like ugly minivans on the outside with great cool features on the inside.
  • Options
    "Other than the nav, the 05 odyssey is not that well designed minivan."

You didn't mention the Ody does not have woodtrim, gated shifter, and the looks of a BMW:-)

I have to say, man, the new Ody looks ugly compared to a BMW wagon.
    I mean it looks okay, compared to the Sienna, but that's about it.
  • Options
    Edmund's knows about as much as you and I do about future vehicles, which is little.

From Motor Trend Magazine:

"2007 BMW Minivan : Yes, minivan. BMW has been developing its interpretation of a large family vehicle that should shatter any "mom mobile" stigma. The platform under development can be adapted to different-size vehicles. While the U.S. will likely receive a traditional-size minivan, there may be a smaller model for overseas markets."

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2007fvf/index1.html

Yeah, I hope Edmund's is wrong.
  • Options
    Perhaps you agree with the statement, otherwise you will have things to say.

Here's my take:
    Rolling second window - oops. Sienna came up with that first.

40/60 third row seat - oops. Sienna did that too.

8th passenger seat - oops. Sienna beat Honda to that.

Telescopic pedals - hmm Quest has that too.

Removable 2nd-row console - wait. Sienna came up with that too.

Side air bags - came standard with all Quest models.

Run-flat technology - new, but Sienna has that too. Oh, you need to take the touring to have it. Cheap trick.

What changed:
    Restyled - still looks like the same Odyssey, but rounded. Hey it looks like an MPV too.

Increased HP engine - oops. Sienna and Quest beat Honda to that.

Variable cylinder management - hmm new. You save probably a few miles per gallon if you run on the highway a lot. Who cares.

Drive-by-wire throttle system - it's a gadget. A car is a car. It doesn't fly an airplane.

Advanced Compatibility Engineering body structure - it's just a selling accronym. If your car get hit, it will damage. You will still need belt and bags to safe you.

Lazy susan - a new idea that is made out of plastic. Heck and expensive plastic. Might as well buy a 99c bucket and tie it down.

What it doesn't have:
    Folding second seat - comes in handy, but Honda designers didn't think so. With all the brains they came up with a Lazy Susan which takes precious space.

Wide second door - nope. either the designers think everyone is as thin as a stick or as flexible as a rubber.

'Nuff said.
  • Options
    "I was out of line. Was having a bad day"

Don't worry, man, we all have bad days, even revit.
    He might sell 5 Odys today, or he might sell none.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They both look like ugly minivans on the outside with great cool features on the inside.

Unless you are driving past plate glass windows all the time to enjoy your reflection, or parking the van in your living room, how much time do you really spend admiring the outside? You spend most of your time behind the dash (unless you're one of those Zainoites).

As far as the Bimmer minivan, we're just quoting the CEO:

No Minivans for BMW

Steve, Host
  • Options
    What is the big deal about a "gated" shifter?
  • Options
    to be fair, Sienna (and Quest) did not pioneer many of these features either. Chrysler and Mazda offered some already, like the roll down windows, 2nd row console, and split rear seat (but not fold flat). GM had 8 passenger seating (done very well too) 10 years ago. Ford offers power pedals.

Manufacturers have been copying good ideas for a century, so nothing new there.

Honda also made an informed decision about the seats. most people never take them out (or fold them flat), so they went with bigger, more comfy seats, since that's what they are used for mostly (sitting). The do fold down, just not flat, and aren't particularly heavy or hard to remove, if you really had to.

Yes, being able to fold them away would be nice, but maybe not at the expense of headroom or step in height or seat comfort (or whatever they would have to give up to make them fold away).

As always, there is no "perfect" vehicle, so find what works best for you and buy it.

• Options
    Jeez, Craig, gated shifters look cool, and Lexus uses it!

actually, it is supposed to make it easier to shift without looking at the lever (you can do it by feel), and harded to make a mistake and overshoot the gear you want.

The dash mount is so much better than a column mount that I wouldn't complain, gated or not.

• Options
    In the Sienna, you can shift between fourth gear and fifth-gear overdrive by moving the gated shifter left-to-right. It is a convenient motion to make with the hand, and no chance of downshifting too far. I'm probaby not explaining this well enough--especially to someone like you who seems to continually slam (back-handedly: 'My God, what will people want next,' etc.) car buyers for wanting anything more than basic features on a vehicle.
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Dodge Caravan had an eight passenger minivan option back in 1984. It was an available full bench front seat! LOL
  • Options
    very few people ever bother to actually shift out of drive (to D4 anyway), so probably it's a minor benefit.

One thing I did hear is that some people were actually confused, and shifting into D4 all the time (an easy mistoake IMO), so they were getting lower milage than they should, but at least they weren't wearing out fifth gear!

• Options
    Well, I guess I can settle for a roomier 3-row-seater wagon then.
    Darn it!

As far as good looking exterior: if we didn't care about the outside of a vehicle period, then I guess a Porche/Ferrari, etc. could look ugly on the outside and we wouldn't care either?

No, a lot of us care about how the exterior looks on any vehicle we own regardless of vehicle type.
  • Options
    doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    Mercedes has a minivan for Asia. The second row seats can be turn around to face the back. I forgot the model name.
  • Options
    Asia has a lot more variety it seems - maybe because we don't get to see their stuff very often in North America.

Some of their vehicles are easy on the eyes too :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    They just look cool, man.
    What's the big deal about 8" NAV screen vs. 6.5" NAV screens or 9" DVD screen vs. 7"?
    What's the big deal about all of the non-safety features of any car?

What's the big deal about VCM w/28 mpg vs 27 mpg?

They don't make your car better or faster or much more economical.
    They just look cool.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    "Here's my take:
    Rolling second window - oops. Sienna came up with that first."

Oops! Maxda MPV came up with it first. Sienna was a rip off of Mazda.
  • Options
    Wha...? How can you possibly know this? What a ridiculous statement. Here in western PA, our interstates are hilly. Downshifting to D4 from overdrive is useful for long, steady inclines--and the gated shifter makes this easy and convenient. The driving-in-D4 mistake to which you refer is either being made by people who didn't read the owners manual, don't understand what O/D is, or don't pay attention.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, those three statements probably describe the majority of the people on the road today, based on what you see go on.

No, I don't have any imperical evidence, but my own experience is that most people don't bother to downshift for engine braking or to stop gear hunting going uphill.

And just because you feel different doesn't make someone elses opinion ridiculous.

• Options
    And just because you feel different doesn't make someone elses opinion ridiculous.

Amen to that.

I rarely downshift going downhill unless it's a really long grade. That's what brakes are for.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "To be fair, Sienna (and Quest) did not pioneer many of these features either. Chrysler and Mazda offered some already, like the roll down windows, 2nd row console, and split rear seat (but not fold flat). GM had 8 passenger seating (done very well too) 10 years ago. Ford offers power pedals..."

True, and so is the power liftgate invented by Chrysler - a feature which nobody cared about until it was offered on the sienna, and the same story was with the 'conversation mirror' which Ford offered for years on their minivans.

And they (Chrysler and Ford) still have some features not copied by Honda, like exterior auto-dim mirrors in the Chrysler (Sienna Limited has it too), keypad entry from Fords van, as well as a message center which let you know which door is open (not just 'door ajar'), and if any exterior bulb burns out it will tell you "check backup lamps", "check brake lamps", "check front signal lamps", and so on. (I think Toyota Matrix have that too).

The Nissan quest have the tilt-mirror in-reverse feature which you can found only on luxury cars. No other minivan has that. And so is the dual DVD unique to the Quest, and that roof...

So as you said, Honda did as Toyota: copied a ton with features from some competitors, and added a few new things to surpass competition (i.e. more hp, better mileage) So they are now from the top vans. But they still does not offer 'everything'.
  • Options
    I'm talking about downshifting while going UP a long grade, Steve.
  • Options
    And just because YOU feel your assumption is correct doesn't make it so. Your 'own experience' that 'most people' don't do it? How does your 'own' experience speak for 'most people?'
  • Options
    My whole point exactly. Yes, Honda is coming out with the new Odyssey and from preliminary reviews, it's going to beat Toyota hands down (it's about time).

Honda has great reputation in terms of coming out with quality cars. When you buy the Odyssey you are really buying Honda cars, not the van itself. The value and quality come with it.

Unfortunately, when the demand is high, you are going to pay premium. Toyota has not lowered its MSRP since they start selling Sienna. Not sure how is this going to play out. One thing for sure, Nissan is lowering MSRP for Quest. If you buy the SE through CarsDirect.com you just have to pay $29K. A Sienna with similar and a bit more features will run you $38K.

You may pay premium for Odyssey too. Except that the amount you pay may not buy the value that you are hoping for. 05 Odyssey is still the same old Odyssey with new style and several new additions that Honda copied from other manufacturers. And yes, Honda still does not offer "everything".
  • Options
    "Honda still does not offer everything"

Yeah, none offer everything, but they still offer a lot of features.

Right now, the Ody is not a good buy.

But in a year when both Odys and Siennas are selling at invoice, the Ody will look much better, and I'll probably be sitting in one, unless Toyota adds some serious chrome grille and beef up the NAV.
  • Options
    doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    "Honda has great reputation in terms of coming out with quality cars. When you buy the Odyssey you are really buying Honda cars, not the van itself."

Well. That may be true. But my 1999 Ody's transmision went out after 40,000 miles. My 2002 Acura MDX (a Honda) has been in the shop four times. In fact, it's still in shop as I am typing. A computer chip controlling the display screen went bad. Maybe it was just my luck.
  • Options
    "it's still in shop as I am typing"

Ouch!

I guess the lesson from this is to get plenty of extended warranty because you just don't know when you luck will run out.
    A 10yr/100K mile powertrain/7yr-70K mile bumper-to-bumper would be great.
  • Options
    Always nasty, aren't you?

I just asked a question. I just don't see a gated shifter as a big deal at all but I'm sure it's on your "must have" list.

Thanks for the explanation.