Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Not too many VW dealerships post prices on the internet, so that leaves you sweating in an uncomfortable chair in the $alesman's office, trying to get your deal figured out.

If you are willing to pay $24,500 for a VW Jetta with DSG and power roof, that's pretty easy. The chrome miorror covers are $25.00 on eBay. As for the VW Navi System, I read on this forum that the system sucks. And to top that off, the system is a huge costly option.
    For a couple of hundred you can get a portable Garmin that you can take with you in any car you own. Their maps are built in, not on a DVD.
    Without the Navi, I think you are now shopping a lot more inventory, as there aren't many with Navi sitting around, making it even easier for VW to put the screws to you on a deal.

Check out this site and browse around their stock for a good idea of what "under invoice" actually gets you on a Jetta with the sunroof and a mat package.

http://www.fitzautomall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp

Works out to about $500.00 off invoice, not a steal, a month ago this same car with these options was $20,626 at FitzWay, a price hike of $3352.00.
    I think they have built in huge extra proffit in anticipation of the C4C program. A few people with old gas guzzlers will be kicking tires as of today.
    That big price jump eats up most of the C4C taxpayer money.

FitzMall Delivered :
    2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan
    Stock #: V155398

Internet Price: $23,978.00
    Value Price: $24,347.00
    Invoice Price: $24,516.00
    MSRP: $25,544.00
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    there is no earthly reason why a dealer would take below invoice on a tdi.

When Fitzmall is continously selling TDIs well below invoice, what do you think the "earthly reason" might be?

On the other hand I don't agree with the person badmouthing you and then saying thay you aren't eloquent. He's the one that is totally disrespectful. I don't think someone should get attacked for offering their opinion just because they are in car sales. Maybe your dealership doesn't do below invoice on the TDIs but others do so it isn't helpful to give the impression that a below invoice sale is impossible. People join this forum from all over the country and prices do vary substantially. If you would have said "in my market area" or "at my dealership" or just "I personally wouldn't do under invoice" may have been a better way of putting it.
  • jdeluca81jdeluca81 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks longo2. This is a great resource and I really appreciate your advice.
    Thank you Pat87. Great resource!
    Hi m6user,

I don't believe I was attacking anyone for offering their opinion, but rather attacking the manner that the opinion was presented. As you stated yourself, it makes a difference. :)

Sorry if I came off totally disrespectful.
  • pagpag Member Posts: 13
    jd

The amex site indicates $1700 off MSRP in the NY metro so you may find some luck. One thing I learned during my recent purchase of a TDI SW, the VW site tends to overstate the TDI inventory "on the lot". There are not as many TDI's out there as the site would likeyou to think. I visited or spoke to over 5 area dealers and each one only had about 1/3 the inventory represented on the site due to vehicles on order, in transit, etc. But they are dealing on the sedans more than on the SW. So, you really need to call and visit, preferably the last week of the month and be prepared to make a deal if its the right car or WALK AWAY (if they sense you are a serious buyer they will call). Also, as a previous poster said, be flexible about the NAV - the factory MSRP is $1,990!!! The difference between that and a Garmin will pay for a year's worth of Diesel!
    No need to apologise. I didn't interpret "the attacking manner" you mention. Maybe we're all a little too thin skinned sometimes.

I think that dealer personnel get on here and most of us(non car salespeople) are so consumer, "screw the dealer" focused that it must be hard to comment in a civil manner sometimes. From what I've seen of his posts he is usually trying to be helpful.
  • karthur1karthur1 Member Posts: 7
    Rich Muni at Pugi VW in Downers Grove, IL...
    Just thought I would update on my buying experience thus far.

I was able to negotiate $24,599 plus tax, tag and title for a 2009 VW Jetta DSG TDI.

Following the boards advice I opted for a scaled back Options set:
    BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY (9W3)
    IPOD ADAPTOR (PIT)
    PWR SUNROOF W/TILT, SLIDE, TINTED GLASS, MANUAL
    SUNSHADE (3FE)
    (4) RUBBER MATS & TRUNK LINER (JMK)

I'm pretty satisfied with this as MSRP was $25,743 and invoice was $24,622.

Now off to negotiate finance terms with VWCredit. I've had 4 years of superb payment history with them and hope to see some decent rates. Does anyone have any recent experience financing with them?

Thanks again!
  • kasjafhkasjafh Member Posts: 2
    Reflex Silver
    17" Avignon Wheels
    IPOD ADAPTOR (PIT)
    SUNSHADE (3FE)

$23621 before tax, tags and title.

Dealer had about 6 TDIs on the lot and traffic seemed to be picking up with people driving in clunkers.
    jasjafh,

I think the whole forum will agree you got a great looking Jetta with nice options.

Is it the DSG or manual? If it's a stick', that might be the difference in the price deal from the last poster at $900 more than your bottom line price.

(I think the 17" rims look much better than the rest) and to top that off if it's a DSG, your price was WOW, considering the 17" wheels, shortages of stock, cranky VW dealerships with nothing to sell, and the Cash For Clunkers shoppers desperately looking to swap for something with great mpg's.

Great Deal, hope you run it for 300,000 happy miles. :)
  • kasjafhkasjafh Member Posts: 2
    Hey Thanks Longo2.

I got it with the DSG. I was at 25394 after tax, tags, title. I turned in a 98 Jeep Cherokee with 205000 miles for the $4500 Clunker Rebate. So, I was out of pocket $20894. I thought I got a pretty good deal. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the interior color. I wanted the darker Anthracite, but they only had my optioned vehicle with the Art Gray. I actually like the Art Gray alot better now that I have it. They both look good, so no big deal either way. I would have had to go with the 16" wheels to get the anthracite, so I was willing to compromise on the interior color in order to get the 17" wheel upgrade. Also, the handling is noticeably better with the wider footprint of the 17" tires. I was a little concerned about the car being mostly built in Mexico. I have an 08 Rabbit 4 door that was built in Germany and it has been awesome. No problems and rock solid through 28000 miles. Hopefully the TDI will be the same. The sticker says the Engine is made in Germany but the final assembly is Puebla, Mexico. Can anyone confirm where the TDI engine is made? I've seen conflicting info about that.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The VW TDI engine is made and tested in Germany. The fluids are drained in accordance with shipping protocol and shipped as a full engine to Mexico. Fluids are replaced in Mexico and of course mated to the "correct transmission" before final assembly.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    My window sticker indicates that the TDI and DSG are both made in Germany.
    kasjafh, your deal just keeps looking better and better...especially since you were one of the lucky ones that actually got rid of your Gas Guzzling jeep.
    Lots of people who were dithering about the C4C program are now stuck in limbo waiting for their applications to get approved and the posibility that when the Senate gets through tinkering with it next week as the Congress askes for another 2 Bill', it could change again.

On another note your Silver Jetta with the Art Grey interior will look good for years.
    The Jetta's arn't that big inside (same size as a Toyota Corolla) and I think the darker interior makes then look even more crowded.
    For reasons known only to VW, they are dropping the Art Grey interiors for the new 2010 Jettas..a shame in my opinion, only the biege and the black will be offered.

They will have a new "Whitegold" exterior color (Kinda' biege) after they lose the Blue

Again I think you got a great deal, hope it runs forever.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You can already see the White Gold color... It's currently on Tiguans..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Yes that would be my choice of color, if VW decides to bring the Tiguan TDI to our shores. Until then I can dream of an SUV that gets 45 MPG out on the highway, while my gas guzzler is lucky to hit 17 MPG with the ethanol laced crap gas we get here in CA.
    YOu are right about the buying public hungry for a Tiguan size TDI that would put up some decent mpg numbers.

The 09' tiguan burns Premium Ga$ (ouch) and almost qualifies as a Gas Guzzler.

Hope VW is listening.
    It is ironic that the greatest advertisement for a VW TDI is a ....VW gasser !!?? The 09 TDI gets 39-45 mpg during break in and the gasser struggles to get 24 mpg. (I am at a disadvantage here for not putting on the equivalent 9,000 miles)

In a back ward look, really not much has changed. The 03 TDI gets 48-52 (exact same point A to point B commute) and the VW gassers 2.0 (RUG) and 1.8T (PUG) are normally @ 25 mpg.
    The Tiguan TDI would blow every other CUV in its class out of the water. The only real mileage competitor is the Ford Escape hybrid. It is lucky to get 32 MPG highway.

I will never buy a vehicle that requires Premium again. I am just not that interested in racing away from stop lights. Give me that low RPM Torque and I am a happy motorist.
    While this is a VW TDI thread, (using the same ratios, i.e., current one of 56%) think of say the Honda CIVIC TDI that the US market is NOT getting ( 24/25 mpg is to 48-52, 39-45 mpg as the Civic 38-42 mph is to the Honda Civic TDI of 59 mpg !!!??

So if I had to replace the Civic, indeed bring the VW Polo @ 61 mpg TDI to the US market !!
  • melindab1melindab1 Member Posts: 1
    I was able to haggle down to $22,890 plus tax, tag and title for an automatic 2009 VW Jetta DSG TDI.

My only options were

SUNSHADE (3FE)

I'm ok with this deal, I had no cash for clunker and from calling around to different dealers they were short in supply. One lot had none in the local area but was expecting to receive one or two TDI's in the next few days.

I'm in California, Dealer was Hayward Volkswagen in the East Bay area.
  • natureboy2natureboy2 Member Posts: 7
    That's the best deal yet, that I have heard. Here I near the east coast, mainly in Chicago, I got a deal, but not as sweet. I pays to call around to see who has the most in stock.
  • mdl3r1mdl3r1 Member Posts: 21
    That's an excellent deal Melinda...congrats! I got essentially the same deal, back in December, for 22,750 plus TTT and posted on here. And I also had splash guards thrown in and iPod adapter. Various factors helped me get the deal and it was way below invoice, as is yours, nearly 900 below invoice.

:shades: Nice going..ENJOY!
  • Gatorfan123Gatorfan123 Member Posts: 37
    Anybody getting a deal on TDI here in Florida. I spoke with several dealerships via e-mail and all quoting MSRP. I guess the Cash for Clunkers is creating a enough of demand, where they have decided to be firm in their pricing.
    This has never happened to me before. I purchased my Jetta TDI with DSG the end of June for $1000 under invoice. This last Monday I got a call from the internet/fleet manager asking me how I liked the car so far and how many miles I had put on it. I told him that I loved it and love the mileage. What he said next blew me away. He told me that if for any reason I was not 100% satisfied he was ready to buy the car back for $500 MORE than I had paid for it. Of course I said NO DEAL.
    That is not all the uncommon with high demand vehicles. I bought my 2005 Passat TDI for well under invoice in Oregon. The dealer here in San Diego that serviced it offered me more than I paid when it got to 7500 miles. I ended up selling it for $3000 over my total OTD price. No tax in Oregon and I licensed it to my residence in AK.

If I were you and you have extra cars I would sell and make a good profit. If you live in a state that taxes new cars you are probably screwed. Otherwise save the money and wait for the 2010 models to go on fire sale next winter.
    I'm just up the road from you in Northridge (LA). My dealer told me that they could have sold 10 TDI's last weekend if they had had them.
  • mdl3r1mdl3r1 Member Posts: 21
    Hey gatorfan,
    I'm in FL - orlando area...there were 4 VW dealers in area when I bought..3 now (one bought the other and now has 2 locations).
  • maigremaigre Member Posts: 16
    I might be able to get an '09 Jetta TDI sedan below invoice right now. I'd rather have the JSW, but what few are around don't match my specs and are too expensive. So I could wait 6-7 months for the updated '10 JSW when the prices are likely to have dropped some or I could buy a sedan now.

What are the prospects of trading a sedan I'd buy now for a wagon in February and not eating a ton of cash in the process?

I realize that there are major variables in play, with the state of the economy, the price of gas, availability of wagons, etc.
  • thammer62thammer62 Member Posts: 48
    I'd just wait for the 2010 at this point. That's what I'm doing. It's supposed to have a slightly new front face (no chrome 'stache). We'll see.
    Selling a Jetta TDI privately would be best. You will lose your shorts on a trade in. You may work a deal on ordering the JSW TDI. That is a sale they do not have to floor.
  • maigremaigre Member Posts: 16
    I'm not even sure that I can get the TDI at a below invoice price anymore. It seems I could have ten days ago. I haven't checked back since. But once there are plenty of 2010 models around, recent used '09s may depreciate too much for me to trade anyway, at least from the standpoint of how much money I'd eat in the process.
  • th26th26 Member Posts: 6
    Fitzgerald has shown themselves to be price gougers. They have raised the price on the TDI from significantly below invoice prior to the clunkers program to invoice when the program started and now to a few hundred below MSRP.

So much for the "Price Leader."
    Fitzgerald has gone from significantly below invoice before the CFC program to Invoice when the program started to just below MSRP now. I will not give the 4500 to Fitzgerald. I will buy locally. I detest gougers!
  • Gatorfan123Gatorfan123 Member Posts: 37
    Actually anything below MSRP for the TDI is great. The place
    I am dealing with wants MSRP and I have to give them
    the $500 VW rebate that VW is giving to people doing the C4C deals.
  • rumritarumrita Member Posts: 1
    I bought by 2009 Jetta TDI DSG sedan on July 26, the 3rd day of Cash for Clunkers, from Fitzgerald for $22,504 - about $1600 under invoice. They took my clunker in trade, so w/tax and tags I paid $19,168 out the door.

Options:
    Sun Roof
    Lip Spoiler

At the time they had well over 30 DSG sedans in their on-line inventory. They now have 7. So I wouldn't regard their current pricing as gouging - but a reflection of supply and demand. Current pricing looks to be right around MSRP which is what local dealers here in Delaware were quoting me anyway.
    And I imagine if you had a used car for sale that suddenly become more valuable for some reason you would not want more for it. Give us a break. They have been selling much much cheaper than most other dealers for months and are probably still well below others and you call them "gougers". Why didn't you just buy when they were cheaper or do you just like to complain?
  • staceyrstaceyr Member Posts: 18
    Well, I missed the boat on an '09 at or below invoice...thanks to the "Cash for Clunkers" rush...so yesterday I swallowed my bargaining pride and placed an order for a new '10 model at MSRP ($$ currently unknown, but expect a small increase). I feel OK about this as the '10 has some welcome interior and audio system improvements along with the much more attractive Mk6 "nose". Ordering also allowed me to configure what I wanted (or didn't want) rather than taking what was available. So now I'm waiting for my blue graphite, black V-Tex, 6 speed manual, 17" 10 spoke Porto alloys, and iPod prep front center armrest JSW TDI. No moonroof or DSG for me...hard to find this combo on the lots.

Now I have about a couple of months to enjoy my '06 Lexus IS350 before I pass it on to the wife to keep the odo mileage under control.

Cheers!

Stacey in So Cal
  • seekerbargainseekerbargain Member Posts: 11
    Stacey, Congrats. What estimated delivery date did the dealer give for your new JSW TDI?
    Thanks. My knowledgeable internet/fleet manager estimated 90 days, which sounds about right from my research. I only have a "commission number" at this stage and my status says "I.S. Order Bank"...whatever that means. I'm a little fuzzy on the whole order-build-delivery progression...are there any experts out there who would care to explain them?

He did say his dealership was getting their allocation next week and my order would be from it. No firm dates, VIN# or even MSRP. At this point all I cared about was getting a shot at one of the first '10s with a specific build configuration. He didn't even ask for the usual "earnest money" deposit up front...saying he would have no problem selling my JSW TDI to someone else if I had to back out. He entered my personal info as part of the order process but could not having left a deposit come back to haunt me? Stay tuned...

Stacey
    I assume “M6USER” either (1) works for Fitzgerald, or (2) is not the brightest bulb in the pack. Here is why:

When the federal government passed the C4C bill it was meant as an incentive for BUYERS. The $4,500 incentive plus the $1,200 diesel credit was in recognition of the difficult times consumers were facing, not as a windfall for greedy SELLERS! Fitzgerald has in effect diverted the consumer credit by raising the price to offset most of the benefit Congress intended for the consumer. This is completly different than a private seller who does not benefit from the government program. As for why I did not buy earlier, I returned from Iraq where I was risking my life for people like you last July so my 12 month registration period was up in August.

Now do you get it M6USER?
    I assume “M6USER” either (1) works for Fitzgerald, or (2) is not the brightest bulb in the pack. Here is why:

When the federal government passed the C4C bill it was meant as an incentive for BUYERS. The $4,500 incentive plus the $1,200 diesel credit was in recognition of the difficult times consumers were facing, not as a windfall for greedy SELLERS! Fitzgerald has in effect diverted the consumer credit by raising the price to offset most of the benefit Congress intended for the consumer. This is completly different than a private seller who does not benefit from the government program. As for why I did not buy earlier, I returned from Iraq where I was risking my life for people like you last July so my 12 month registration period was up in August.

Now do you get it M6USER?
    Maybe you should check the wattage on your own light bulb before you start throwing names.

The C4C was absolutely not designed simply(and I say simply because that is the way you are looking at it...from only one side). If it was that simple why didn't the government just send everyone with an income below a certain level a voucher for a discount on a new car. The bill was enacted for many different reasons. Get old gas hungry, polluting cars off the road, create business for the auto industry including manufacturers, suppliers and dealers and provide some help to people with old gas hogs. It is called stimulus....not a handout(I realize many may argue the terminology on this one but that is for another thread) and we are all paying for it through our taxes.

I don't work for a car dealer, have no relatives or even friends that do either so your accusation is wrong if not downright stupid. You didn't answer my question though. If you had a used car that suddenly went up in value because of demand, would you not want current market price or would you say "oh well, I'll sell it for a couple of thousand less because I'm a nice guy"???

I commend and appreciate your service. However, you shouldn't be so quick to throw it up as an insult. I just retired two weeks ago after 33 years service and did two tours in the sandbox in '03 and '04 and also on the ground during Desert Storm among others.
    I think it really highlights that 2009 TDI Jetta both the sedan and JSW was both a challenging yet goal fulfilling MY.

Here are some of the "tools" that I have seen used to move the (diesel) product. (pop in with any I may have missed)

1. $1,300 IRS tax CREDIT (MY)
    2. $500 VW owner loyalty (situational)
    3. @ or below invoice (situational)
    4. @ or below dealer cost (situational)
    5. no sales tax in Conneticut (MY)
    6. Up to $4,500 so called gas guzzler/clunker program week or two? (situational)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I've got to say.... more of an economic stimulus plan, than a help for individual car buyers...

Most of the people trading clunkers own them as third cars, and have the credit to buy a brand-new car. The people actually driving their clunkers as their main mode of transportation, likely couldn't afford to buy a new car, even with a $4500 trade-in. If they could, they wouldn't be driving around in the old heap, in the first place. (I'm generalizing... your individual situation might not fit the average of 700,000 other buyers).

If it works for you, that's great! But, the program was designed to help the car industry and provide a short-term stimulus to the economy. I'd say it's awfully successful in doing both of those..

Now... let's all chill out on the name calling. Or, you'll all be sent to your rooms!

thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I have read a study in passing. (no link) Essentially it said a new car gets used the most (miles per year). As it gets older and kept as a "multiple" car it is used normally a lot less (miles per year).

And yes for those that use a car worth $4,500 or less, for day in day out transportation ie, 12,000 to 15,000 miles) usually can't pony up the 15-20k extra for a new replacement car to take advantage of the clunkers/guzzler programs.
  • ydwydw Member Posts: 14
    Interesting. The sales consultant I have been working with (Wisconsin) told me that VW is currently suspending custom-built orders for the 2010 Jetta sedan or sportwagon (still accepting orders for other models), and the dealerships for now are getting whatever Jettas they get. He is still putting in my order and pushing it upstream so that at the regional level, when the new inventory is being assigned to the local dealerships, they can try to match any order that has been submitted into the queue. If the demand for new Jettas is high enough, it makes sense for the production lines to follow their own production build schedules rather than be slowed down by building custom orders. Prices for the 2010 models should become available next Monday.
    Interesting indeed...

I wonder if this is a recent development as this wasn't the way it was explained to me last Wednesday when I placed my "order".

Thanks for the heads up. You can be sure I'll be asking my VW guy for clarification today!

Stacey
    Here's the response I got regarding custom orders from a trusted internet/fleet manager over at VWVortex.com...

"As they always do, VW is assigning the first round of 2010 cars. It is no big deal to include custom order cars in a modern factory, since they use 'just in time' parts delivery in the factories these days And as the cars they are building were still ordered or spec'd by somebody, what is the difference who orders the car. The first round of cars are ordered, built, and shipped before the dealers even have all the ordering info. This insures that the cars are on the dealers lots when the new model year is launched."

No mention of anything unusual regarding JSW orders. It looks like the dealers get whatever VW sends them for the first shipment so it's the luck of the draw there to get what you're looking for then. My order should be built to spec from a following dealer allocation. The dealer estimated 90 day time frame seems about right to go from order to delivery.

Stacey