Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• kerrietkerriet Member Posts: 3
    Hi Danman,

I bought my TDI from Hunt Valley Motors in Cockeysville, MD. That was the internet deal on a JSW, not sure if it applies to the Passat. Also, Jon Jackson was my salesman and I highly recommend working with him if possible.

Good luck
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stevedivotstevedivot Member Posts: 3
    Just signed a deal for a 2012 Jetta TDI Premium Automatic for $23,600 including floormats and first aid kit. Sounds like a good deal. Can't wait to pick it up.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Sounds like a great deal! Where are you located?
    Colonial VW in Westborough, MA. At first I was skeptical but I signed all the papers today so I know its real. .9% financing as well.
  • puonu17puonu17 Member Posts: 3
    Was that the sale price or the price OTD? How did you get 0.9% rate? Thanks a lot
  • puonu17puonu17 Member Posts: 3
    In the works of this deal... I still think it can get better... What do you guys think?

2012 TDI Premium Jetta

Auto Trans
    Black with Corn-silk interior
    Touch screen radio- No NAVI
    Rear Spoiler
    Rubber Mats
    Tinted Windows

MSRP: $26,660
    Sale Price: $24,990
    Total fees: $905
    Tax:$1,543.29 (FL 6.5%)
    OTD Price $27,438.29
    The price of the car was $23,600 plus $295 doc fee which everyone ends of paying. The $23,600 included the delivery fee of (approx $700). The .9% promotion was still in effect so I got that as well. The only other fee was tax which varies state to state.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    Hi. Which state do you live in? I was told that I could only get 1.9% and OTD was $27. I'm in CT
  • about2bjswabout2bjsw Member Posts: 6
    I would check rates at various Credit Unions (they are member-owned cooperatives) (that are open to all members, many are now). I got best % thru credit union...one that was running a special for new car sales. That was last summer, but there are always specials running. And some banks do to. Google your area credit unions/bank name+New Car loans keywords and it should pop up if it's available. Nat'l car loans available too online if you're careful w/who you're using.

Your OTD sounds decent to me for 2012. Your list does not show panaromic sunroof, that mine had, so for the price difference and ..not looking at your other posts so not sure if it has NAV or not (see note below re that). (BTW we LOVE our panoramic roof, glad we went ahead and spent the $ for it, entertainment for our 6 yr old to watch stars at night, feels tad like a convertible on trips).

Jetta TDIs are still in demand so never going to get them dirt cheap like the other cars, so at some point you have to decide if you want to fly/drive somewhere for cheaper $ or get price down to the point you can live with. And also how much TIME you wish to invest in this project.

I bought fully loaded automatic Jetta TDI exactly 1 yr ago, took me 4-6 weeks to get EXACT car I wanted (even though I knew where my car was sitting on Ohio lot they would not trade/transport with most lots for trade w/another lesser model). Yes, I was very picky and wanted spec color inside/out white gold/black inside, but I was patient and nervously waited it out. I could have saved $ more if I had accepted another color or less add-ons of course.

Yr ago I paid $30K OTD (paid more IN tax 7%; KY 6% where I live, so tax added another $280, but that was offset by the NICE rubber sports mats package not in $ negotiated. Proved to be most valuable w/7yr old dropping drinks. Wouldn't buy a car w/o them now.

I had to email 10-12 places within 150 miles to get my car, but it worked out thanks to this Board's/kyfdx's help for how to negotiate and get bites. Only 3 lots would even entertain talking to me when I told them I needed no more than $30K OTD. In end had to drive 120 mi to Evansville (from Louisville) to get my car, but pleasant trip, gave me chance to try out my new car. I'd do it again, D-Patrick (can I say their name?? I'm not sure) group handled every single thing online and I just went and got my car, absolutely NO HASSLES.

One suggestion, from kyfdx was not worry about getting NAV system, given the expense of updating it (YUP..$199 software offer just got, which mine really needs as it was sooo outdated when I rec'd car it's not funny! That's the biggest complaint I've had with my car. Kyfdx said "I'd stick with a $150 Garmin, rather than pay the extra $1800-$3000 for NAV or Tech package on a new car." HE'S RIGHT I believe if you want to hold your $ down. But the car I wanted had it on it, so I bought it and have been happy with tech package. Nav is overdue to be updated but still very useful really. Use it all the time on trips.

Best car experience I've had, and best car I've ever had. Use my comments for whatever they are worth. Different regions/states are never the same deals I found out.
  • dvwdvw Member Posts: 5
    Just brought home a 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG with sunroof package, protection package and 1st aid kit for $27,820. Invoice was $28,395. Dealer is Kempthorn in Canton, OH - well worth the drive from Cleveland. Standard Ohio $250 documentation fee plus about $35 for registration. They even found a grey one for me from PA.

Closest competitive quote was about $800 more.
    :)
    Dave
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    That proves there are deals to be had on the JSW TDI. Keep us posted on how you like it. I don't think there are any big changes for the 2013. Hard to improve on perfection. :shades:
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Not too sure one would call saving $800 a "good" deal, since the person has to drive out of his home city to get the deal.

I would love more rear legroom in the sportwagon, maybe when VW starts producing the wagon on the current Jetta that will happen.
    You are correct it is really a Golf wagon. The only vehicle I have recently tested that has enough leg room for me in the back seat is the ML 350 Bluetec. I rarely buy vehicles close to home. Have traveled many times by air to get the best deal and make a vacation out of the return trip. One downside I have found is you buy locally and the other dealers in the area are not interested in servicing under warranty. When you buy in another state they assume you have moved to their area and try to win you as a customer. I know two people that bought VW Sportswagens here in San Diego and could not get a penny off of MSRP. That was about a year ago, it looks like the supply has caught up here.
  • dvwdvw Member Posts: 5
    45 miles is well worth $800.

Ditto on the rear legroom. We test drove an Outback and it's rear seats were remarkably spacious. Too bad it drove like a tractor.

The only downside of moving to the new Jetta platform is that the current Sportwagen interior design is much, much nicer than the new Jetta. A different dealer pointed it out, side-by-side on a showroom floor - and I was really surprised. Exterior is a whole other story.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    Compare prices of similarly equipped Passat TDI's and Sportwagen TDI's if you want more backseat space and legroom. I cannot think of a good reason to buy the current Americanized Jetta if you are familiar with and appreciate traditional VW quality interiors. The Americanized Passat has its faults, but the interior quality is more characteristic of VW's available in the rest of the world. The current Jetta (excluding the GLI Autobahn and SEL Premium) just screams "cheap".
  • hoparhopar Member Posts: 2
    2013 VW Golf TDI 2 door w/DSG and nothing else (no nav/moonroof/HID/Premium sound).

$24,617 + documentation fees and tax

Its bellow invoice, so I am guessing its a good price? Its from my local dealer (20 min drive :P) in NorCal
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Yes - below invoice for a new VW TDI is a good price but your number is $300 above the invoice price I see on edmunds-new-car-pages. $300 above invoice is also a good price. M
    y timing has never that good when I've bought my 4 VW TDIs - best I've done is $500 under MSRP.
  • hoparhopar Member Posts: 2
    That's the price for a 2013 model, and they are gonna go up $400-500 for the 2013 model year compared to 2012 :)

I am just worried about the DSG reliability X_x I really want to keep the car for more than 5 years >_>
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited July 2012
    VWs have had the DSG now for many years and (from following advice from this forum) they DO need the DSG fluid service done on time i.e every 40,000 miles for mine.

Shop around for a $ervice price. Last time I had mine done it was $260.00 with a discount coupon, some VW dealerships were charging as high as $550.00! (a Las Vegas dealership)

The DSG transmission has a freaky system for draining and filling with the VW special fluid, and unless you are a total diehard DIY'er I would go with getting it done at a dealership.
  • sleepybubbasleepybubba Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2012
    I've got a quote of 43.9K for 2012 Touareg TDI w/Nav in Boston area. Anyone cares to comment?
    Which model? Here the least expensive Sport with NAV has a TMV of $47k, which is a bit below invoice. So that sounds like a great deal to me. Unless the 2013 is changed for the better, which is not likely.
  • sleepybubbasleepybubba Member Posts: 61
    TDI Sport w/Nav I should add.

Anyone know what is Coscto discount on VW?

I have a dealer who insists I should come to learn what Costco Members would save. The only Costco dealer in New England is 50 miles away, so I am not sure if it's worth it and the dealer refuses to provide the member-only price over the phone.
    I would call Costco, and tell them you want to know the price before you go 50 miles to find out you have a better deal at a non Costco dealer.

http://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/buildvehicle.aspx?trimid=334587
  • ksywaksywa Member Posts: 1
    just got my first golf tdi and i absolutely love it,luxurious car indeed.bought it liberty vw.libertyville northern IL.positive buying experience.they even managed to get me great financing -1.99%
    in contrast tried to bargain in crystal lake anderson vw-they almost kicked me out the door.sales manager was rude and arrogant.
  • enjoythepathenjoythepath Member Posts: 3
    hi folks. getting ready to purchase a 2012 Jetta Sedan, TDI, premium with the Fender audio, with Nav. We are in North Carolina.
    have been given two quotes: one is for a manual, for 24,900. Other is for DSG, for 25,900.
    Are these good deals, based on what people are seeing?

I am sure this has been discussed to death on this list elsewhere, but putting aside personal preference of manual vs. DSG, any considerations for resale value and possibly MPG?

many thanks.
  • macgeneralmacgeneral Member Posts: 1
    Both are high.

All things being equal and based only on what you've shared (absent of options other than the Nav. and Fender Audio) the invoice is $25.1 with a fair market value of in your area (ran Raleigh) of $24.7.

So 24.6 is where I'd aim and not go much beyond the invoice if you're weakened in the negotiations.
  • niko61niko61 Member Posts: 3
    Sept 3, 2012: Vehicle was a 2013 w/ lip spoiler, monster mats, wheel locks, & first aid kit - MSRP $34,455 (including destination charge $795). Paid $32,750 and was given $7000 for a trade in that I think was "fair enough" given its "fair" condition.
  • dharrydharry Member Posts: 1
    I used CarWoo.com to get some quotes from dealers. CarWoo called me to determine color and any options. I just wanted the 4 door, DSG, TDI and no other options. I received 3 quotes. MSRP on 1 was $26,830 and included rubber mats package and 1st aid kit. The quote (which included destination and any document fees) was $24,000. I countered by offering $23,475 and it was accepted. I think that's a great deal. I've been trying to get my local dealership to go low, but having to drive 3 hours for 13% off MSRP seems like a steal. My credit union was offering 1.49% financing for 60 months, so that's better than the 1.9% VW Financial is offering.

but... I haven't heard back from the salesman. Tried to call and email today. Trying to take delivery early next week.
  • ajomiiiajomiii Member Posts: 2
    Was it a 2012 or 2013?
  • dobrovoddobrovod Member Posts: 15
    I have a VW Golf TDI and absolutely love the car. I'm wondering if anyone has cross-shopped a Golf TDI with an Audi A3 TDI? The Audi was a bit too pricey for my last purchase. However, I might be able to make the step up next time if I see a good reason to pay the higher price. I would enjoy hearing anyone's thoughts and the differences and benefits of these two vehicles.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for a recent car buyer whose car's sunroof/moonroof feature was a big factor in their purchase decision. Please send your daytime contact info to smar@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 5, 2012 at 5 p.m. Pacific.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrwilliemattmrwilliematt Member Posts: 1
    I would love to know how this turned out?
  • abforumsabforums Member Posts: 5
    Getting $23,600 OTD NEW 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (no Navigation), Automatic, Blk/CornShell .

Base Price 21000
    Tax 1470
    Dealer Fee 730
    Tag 400
    ----------- --------
    TOTAL 23600
    ----------- --------
    Is this a good deal?
    My first TDI...
    Will appreciate any feedback!
  • sheeplekingsheepleking Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with carpeted mats, trunk organizer & first aid kit - MSRP $33,980 (including $795 destination charge ). Paid $32,680 + taxes and tags. Bought at Evans Motorworks in Dayton, Ohio.
  • lotzacarslotzacars Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI with DSG. Sticker price was $25,055, which included floormats ($235), first aid kit ($35), and a credit of $100 for non-power driver's seat.

Purchase price was $21,500, plus 6% sales tax of $1,343.75, doc fee of $179, and license fees of approximately $165, for an OTD price of $23,200.

I also got 0% financing for 36 months and VW of America is paying the first monthly payment of $500 which effectively lowers the price to $21,000 plus TTL. The car had been in inventory for 6 months and I think they were motivated to move it. I ended up with a better deal than I thought possible. The dealership experience was professional...no gimmicks.
    You got a great deal. Looks like VW is serious about becoming number one in the World. My wife's granddaughter did not do near as well here in San Diego. She paid MSRP with our high taxes it was over $30k OTD. She did get low interest, I think she said 2.9% for 5 years. That was almost a year ago.
  • cmschmiecmschmie Member Posts: 27
    I will soon be in the market for a Jetta SportWagen TDI w/ Sunroof which can be found fairly easily.
    However, I would like to have a 6-speed manual. No dealerships in my area (Charlotte) have the color combination/features that I am looking for in this trim. I've searched dealerships as far away as Atlanta and no dice.

Will I be SOL or should I pick a dealer which can provide the best price AND get the car by dealer trade? Anyone ever do a dealer trade? Lessons learned from this?

Thanks

NOTE:
    I would also be willing to "downgrade" to a Jetta w/Premium & Nav (not SportWagen) but would still like to have the manual transmission.
  • jpslojpslo Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Just bought this car today from San Luis Obispo Perry VW. Paid $25,999 for automatic, white, black leatherette interior, with sport mats and no sunroof, 16" wheels. We got the 0% 36 month financing which qualified us for $500 rebate on first payment. This was the price we had decided to pay before going in after online research (except didn't know about $500 rebate). We ended up buying an extended comprehensive warranty for additional 4 years (7 total) or 100,000 miles. This was the purchase we had not researched, so not sure it was a good deal or not (so be prepared!), but past experience has taught us that some very expensive sensors, etc can go bad and we wanted to have lengthy coverage like we had on our trusty Volvo. They quoted us $2200+ and we got the warranty for $2000. It's done now, so hope we didn't overpay too, too much!
  • atlgator1atlgator1 Member Posts: 3
    2013 Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof. $29580 MSRP (with destination, mats, alarm option). Sales price $25,780 plus $599 dealer fee and the usuals. They wouldn't come off dealer fee but I didn't threaten to walk. Also got the VW financing offer and 1st payment paid.

Most importantly, got 40 MPG in my hour commute yesterday - with just 100 miles on the odo.

I feel it's an OK deal, not amazing, but OK.
    That sounds like a good deal to me. Keep us posted on your mileage and how well you like your new car. And welcome to the forum.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I feel it's an OK deal, not amazing, but OK.

Really, you got 4K off on a car that the dealer can't keep on the lots and you think it is a OK deal...
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    That appears to be a very good deal! I am hoping to buy one, but with the Nav option next month. My target is around $27,000+ so your deal appears very promising. The 2014 order sheets are supposedly out, but there is no information as to the changes...Unless there is a significant difference in the TDI engine (large horsepower increase), I will probably get the '13 model.

Rumors have been that the horsepower increase is only 10 hp, with no changes in torque. On the flip side, the European version is going b-turbo for 200 hp....Don't think we'll see that....
  • cristianbncristianbn Member Posts: 9
    I just order a new 2013 VW Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual, black on black. After negotiating by exchanging email with 11 VW dealers in Atlanta, GA area, I got a good deal on it. The MSRP on VW website is 26,225, I was able to get it for 23380$ + Total 789$ dealer fees + 6.5% sales tax = Total price of 25734$ This price also includes carpeted floor mats, free lifetime oil and filter change, lifetime power-train warranty. Other dealers quote me between 23480$-25880$ plus tax.
    In addition to the total price of 25734$, VW have a special offer for April to pay 500$ of your 1st payment, and 36 months 0% Apr. Final price is 25,234$.
    The dealer name is Heritage VW in Union city, close the Atlanta airport.
    Cheers!
  • thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2013
    hi,
    Quirk VW in Quincy, ma, has a tdi passat se, automatic, grey with blk interior (leatherette) for $24,500 before taxes and fees. this was as of saturday 5/25. i like the car, but wasn't ready to purchase.
  • ohioscottohioscott Member Posts: 1
    Final out the door price was $25K including a $100K 7 year warranty. I have never bought a warranty before and generally think they are a complete waste of money but this is my first diesel so I didn't mind this time. Plus the price and features were right and there weren't any gotchas. Pro-rated, fully-transferrable, good at any VW dealer.

I'm a very experienced car buyer and the sales experience at Hatfield Volkswagen in Columbus, Ohio, was as good as it gets. No games, no drama, no lowball on the trade-in, helpful but not pushy. The dealer didn't have the exact color/model I wanted but had it ready for pickup within 24 hours, on a Saturday no less.

The car itself is awesome. Insane amount of headroom even with the sunroof, a blast to drive, much better than expected mpg, averaging 37-38 which is nearly all city driving. Cargo capacity is insane, can't imagine ever not having a hatch again. Best designed sunroof I've ever had in a car. The navigation system and Bluetooth hands-free phone connection have far less gizmos than Ford's but works 100% better.

There is an all-new Golf coming soon but I wanted one made in Wolfsburg and if that matters to you the current model is one to get.
    That sounds like a very good deal. I like the looks of the current Golf. Hope they don't screw them up. VW seems to be designed for taller drivers. I don't like a lot of the Japanese cars that have no headroom. Especially when they add a sunroof. Good luck with your new ride and keep us posted on how you like it.
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    Looking at the Passat and am trying to get a sense of whether the TDI SE makes sense. It comes at a premium of about 2k over the SE.

I am assuming that the TDI gets about 10mpg over the gas model in mixed driving.

Where I live, diesel is about 50c more expensive that gas on average.

Assuming gas at about $4, I would have to drive for about 80k miles to breakeven on the additional upfront cost for the TDI.

Am I missing anything? Are people doing the same math?

Thanks.
  • cristianbncristianbn Member Posts: 9
    Well, there are more benefits of driving a diesel than the gas mileage. Myself I own the Passat TDI SE with 6 speed manual and my MPG got as high as 51.1 on the highway. I'm very happy with it. But to mention the other benefits of diesel:

Have a longer life span and less wear as they run at lower temperatures and lower RPMs

Have greater torque

Have better value retention

Have lower emissions

Have lower fire hazard

Have greater MPGs about 30% better than gas engines

It is true is more expensive but if you're going to keep the car for a longer time, it is well worth it. If you never drove a diesel before, I recommend you rent one and see if you like it. Seems like the diesel engines are finally becoming popular here in the US, as more automakers are bringing more diesel engines soon, like BMW 3, 5, series, Audi A6,A8, Mazda 6, Chevrolet Cruze, Mercedes E class, etc. In Europe about 65% of the cars are diesel mainly because of the better gas mileage.
  • hercules00hercules00 Member Posts: 134
    The only reason diesels are becoming more popular - and I am considering one - is due to gas prices.

That is pure economics. The rest of the reasons - less wear and tear, fire risk (!) are marginal at best. No one worries about their modern gas powered cars burning up or wearing out. Also, torque in most cases is adequate for daily driving.

So it is an economic rationale then there should be some justification. Getting 40mpg means nothing if you paid up for that (the math is similar for hybrids).

I have rented diesel cars in europe many times and am well aware of how they drive. So that is not an unknown.

Just trying to get a sense of the economics and if there is any different math people are coming up with. I drive a G37 to work and the 18mpg is getting a bit expensive.

I am trying to get a sense of whether I should just move to a more efficient gas car or if diesel makes any sense at all.

At 80k breakeven (about 6 years for me) that does not seem to make much sense.