Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen TDI Models Prices Paid

Comments

• colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2010
    They clobbered you a bit on the trade-in and warranty, honestly. You could have gotten at least 6k for the trade, maybe as much as 7k, and your goal on the warranty should be 50% of their asking price.

But $23,513 for a TDI Sportswagen with DSG would be pretty good. With 6spd MT it's fair.

At any rate... congrats!
    I'm ok with the looks and like the idea of a price drop... but we'll see if the TDI actually gets cheaper or not. A cheap 2.0 non-turbo base model is useless to me.

If 2011 brings a diesel CC, I would be interested in that as well. I'd like the extra space and better looks (assuming no changes there) over the 2011 Jetta.
  • fflintstone1fflintstone1 Member Posts: 19
    Bought my '10 JSW for 200 over invoice, plus destination, TTL, and some weird fuel and interest fee. OTD 28.5 for a 6M with pano roof.

They offered 3500 for my trade-in, but I sold it for twice that privately.

That, plus the 1300 tax credit, makes it all a bit better affordable. Car is nice so far, hoping for a long lasting HPFP. ;)
  • jocollijocolli Member Posts: 12
    Local dealer in West St. Louis County is running an add that all VWs are 1% below dealer cost during the month of June. How does this compare? I am in the market and willing to travel for a great deal. No trade in. Just want the best out the door price. Thanks.
  • bigdog20bigdog20 Member Posts: 3
    Charlie Gilbert in Saint Louis can do better because the dealer determines how "dealer cost" is determined. Email him at cgilbert@bommarito.net to get a very good price...let him know Bryan Goetz referred you. I just bought a Jetta TDI from him. Let me know how it goes.
    There's some orange text when you post advising not to post names of salespeople, email addresses or other contact information. This is not a referral service, it's a shopping / pricing guide.

Anyway -- what did you pay?

I'm about 6 hours from StL and I'm not overly impressed with my local dealer --singular, there's only one in Wichita. It might be worth flying out and driving back.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    IMHO, no dealership with any business-sense is going to tell you what their actual cost is for any new vehicle! It's private contractual information, and I bet the manufacturers prohibit the dealerships from revealing it.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    My girlfriend is in the market for a Jetta TDI sportwagon (I converted her interest away from Prius!). We have gotten a couple of quotes from nearby dealers:

Platinum Grey w/Titan Black
    Automatic
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Ipod interface
    floormats
    17" Porto Wheels
    MSRP $28,639
    Offered price $27,083 (including $750 destination)

Blue Graphite /Titan Black
    Automatic
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Ipod interface
    Rear seat airbags
    MSRP $28,314
    Offered Price $27,064 (including destination)

What is your feeling, does this seem to be a reasonable price? We have not yet tried any severe negotiating.

Thanks!
    They are very similar and I believe the 17" wheels are more expensive than the rear airbags. So the first one is a slightly better deal. Does she like the wheels?

The prices are similar to what I've seen. The JSW doesn't seem to be as popular as the Jetta sedan or 4 door Golf. Its the least popular TDI, but the TDIs are definitely selling well nationwide.
  • udaygudayg Member Posts: 4
    One dealer is offering 2010 Jetta TDI with Automatic transmission and
    PKG UF8 MEDIA DEVICE INTERFACE W/ IPOD (R) CABLE
    PKG JMK JETTA MAT KIT

For $23,265.00 (including destination)
    MSRP : $25,104.00

To me it looks like an excellent price. What do you guys think??

Thanks
  • bigdog20bigdog20 Member Posts: 3
    Looks like a very good price if it includes all BS fees
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Is that the out the door price?
    What is missing is tax, but that doesn't help internet shoppers unless someone happens to live near you. Taxes range from 0 to 9%.. pointless to include that for an accurate "out the door" price, IMHO.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Taxes range from 0 to 9%

Uh, try to 10%....Cook County, IL. :sick:
  • udaygudayg Member Posts: 4
    No...Tax and license extra
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    I'm waiting for the 2011 , if I can stand to. Would like the new color of Coffee metallic of some sort, looks like the Brown metallic on the Mini Clubman of last year. Hopefully too, there will be at least one new option on the side.
    I definatily want to add spacers (raise it ONE inch) as soon as I can without hurting the warrenty. After I drive it awhile (2 years) I'll trade up the wheels to the 17" for any minicule height possible.
    Meanwhile I want to sell my 2008 mini Cooper which has been fun but I only bought it because i was withing for diesel...and the right one hadn't arrived.
    How reliable has the DSG been . Would like to hear about ANY problems.
    my quote on the 2011 sportwagen tdi dsg . is $25,100. I don't want options- will get them later like fog lights hid lights. I use the TDI forums for info as wwell as this site.
    On their website everyone is concerned about the HPFP failures. It's a $10,000 problem.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited August 2010
    'feliciatwo'

If you have now bought and paid for your new VW, (unless you were very clever and leased it) not much point in worring about reliability issues now.

Welcome to VW's rolling Consumers R&D department.

They rush from one engine design to another, trying to put distance between them and the enineering issues from each part of the drive train in previous models...disinitigrating DMF's, Metatronics that suddenly stop working and bring your car in for $$$$.$$ worth of transmission repairs, and now this new one...ground up bits of the HPFP in the fuel system.

The outgoing MK5's regularly eat their way through the whole top end of the valve-tappit-injector system, creating multi thousand dollar repair bills with no real solution to the original problem.
    (the new common rail injector system was supposed to eliminate all that embarrassment)

Some VW dealerships have been reported trying deny the expensive high pressure fuel pump problems on warranty and blame the problem on "Sand/contaminates in your fuel system" thing is, that "sand" clings to a magnet and hangs on for dear life....

Probably a good idea to wrap your new fuel filter canister with strong magnets to keep ground up parts of the fuel pump from circulating in the whole system and causing more problems...the $10,000 repair bill is for a replacement of the whole system including all the lines, pump, fittings and even the fuel tank..then, guess what, you could now be one your way to the same breakdown....only next time, on your own bank account.

If VW ever comes up with a Hyundai type warranty I'll know they have finally figured out how to build a TDI drivetrain that will last for 10 years til then, "hope for the best, but plan for the worst"
  • dieselfitter1dieselfitter1 Member Posts: 42
    I put a Magnet on top of my Fuel Filter Canister to CATCH EVIDENCE

CSI Wolfsburg !!!

2009 Sportwagen TDI DSG
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Is it possible that ULSD is the culprit. I hear conflicting stories on the lubricating or lack of lubrication in ULSD. Maybe those that use additives do not have the problems. I would still like to have a 4 cylinder TDI vehicle. Issues like this make it less appealing.
  • edmunds26edmunds26 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    My 2006 Passat is almost running out of factory warranty.

Can anybody share their experience on buying extended warranty and how much you paid for it? What type did you get - Basic/Silver/Gold/Platinum?

Thank you.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I have two VW Jettas (2007 and 2009). I did not purchase an extended warranty for either car, but in January 2010 I purchased a Ford Explorer (2006) from CarMax. I did purchase an extended warranty, and when you are shopping for a warranty make sure the coverage includes "wear and tear". CarMax warranty did cover this, and it was from a company in Florida. If you review many of the warranties available, they state they cover failure of parts, but I understand that many claims are denied as the warranty company will state that the part in question was "worn out" and did not fail. Just make sure you have wear and tear clearly covered. Also - the warranty I have pays the claim directly to the shop. Many make you pay first, and then send them the bill and try to collect. Again, the shop is paid directly, and all I have to pay is a small deductible ($50 if I take the car back to CarMax or $75 at any other shop). I did use this for a repair at CarMax and it worked out well.

Bel Air Car Guy
    longo2

No, I didn't buy . Although I now have my Mini Cooper up for sale (just listed it 4 days ago) i had taken it in anyway ...hungary for an insulting dealership offer , which I got (I have a loaded mellow yellow non-s, panoramic , bluetooth, HID lights etc. etc. w/ only 9,200 miles & i'm a non-smoker) The manager offered me 13,000. So, luckily , I didn't buy the Sportwagen.
    I would be interested in the 2011 anyway and have plenty of time.
    I take your point about all the MDF and HPFP problems.. and they did seem to ...80% of them have build dates in 2009.
    Neverthless, I AM ANGST about the reliability.
    What would I like the most?
    To get a reasonable lease of a Sportwagen TDI but I wonder if that is possible?
    The best VW dealer down here (south florida)is probably Gunther.
    Any idea's out there on Leasing a VW TDI? Anyone know the leasing Factor or residual value numbers?
    Thanks all.
    edited August 2010
    my 1 TDI that did not make it reliably to 100k was the 05 B5 with oil-chain failure, which occurred long before VW offered the gear-upgrade/replacement.
    My other 3 recent TDIs were perfectly reliable until 100k each.

Not sure how far to take my current/2006 VW jetta TDI beyond 103k - I'm tempted to find a nice way to trade it for a diesel pickup truck or 2-rag TDI.

The apparent evidence of 2009/2010 HPFP failures would worry me, but I have no doubt that my local dealership would step-up 100% if I bought a new TDI and it had HPFP failure.

ps - I paid MSRP for half the TDIs, and $500 under MSRP for others. Paying invoice price would be nice, if I buy VW again - maybe i need one of yall to help bargain for me?
    "Not sure how far to take my current/2006 VW jetta TDI beyond 103k"

Unless you've already had the TBWP replaced and the camshaft checked for damage, I would be seriously thinking of getting it into the best VW service shop you can find ASAP and if the top end is OK, be prepared top drive out about $800.00 lighter.
    If you have a DSG, make sure the fluid is changed in that too and listen to hear if the DMF is getting noisy while it's up on the hoist.
    That will add another several hundred dollars to the bill, but better that than the nasty alternative.

Did mine at 40, and 80,000 miles, hope for the best, but plan for the worst is my 2006 VW's motto.
  • saltandvinegarsaltandvinegar Member Posts: 1
    I got quoted $25,620 for Golf 2010 4dr DSG TDI with sunroof and rear side-impact airbag. The problem is that the dealer told me that what i want specifically does not exist in the state.
    Do I have any leverage to negotiate the price for a car with options that are hard to find? And is this a good price?
  • mrobliquemroblique Member Posts: 1
    Ipod interface
    floor mats
    and Pano sunroof
    quoted 25500 before tax and 450 destination fee.

Is that pretty standard across the country? Can I get it for 25500 out the door?

--joe
    timingbelt/waterpump done at 90k. it's a manual-transmission. I have elected not to have the cam inspected but am well aware of the reported cam issues. The car has been parked for most of the summer but will get lots of use when bad weather arrives. I'll report anything interesting about the car on this forum or the VW TDI forum here. (this one is really supposed to be about pricing/buying). :)
  • saabpilotsaabpilot Member Posts: 4
    2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
    candy white, DSG, iPod kit, mat kit

paid 25300+ttl in DFW area
  • jbariljbaril Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2010
    2011 Sportwagen; panoramic, mats; Candy White/Cornsilk (27035 MSRP)
    $378.00/mo / 48 mos./12K only first month's due at signing; Emich-Denver

2010 TDI Sedan; DSG, sunroof, media/iPod, mats, Avignon wheels (26554 MSRP)
    Blue Graphite/Cornsilk
    $326.00/mo / 48 mos./12K only first month's due at signing; this car also had clear bra, tint, a pinstripe and identity theft/stolen car policy included; Larry Miller-Lakewood

I don't know all the specific lease numbers; I gave up after four internet managers haggling with each other and became a payment buyer; lowest payment won
  • pastordon1pastordon1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Saabpilot, which DFW dealership did you buy your Sportwagon from?

Looking at the very same model and options in the Metroplex.

Don
  • mondoman1mondoman1 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me if Golf TDIs are really that rare?
    I am looking in the SF Bay Area and am floored by the responses I see from the dealers - one is adding a $6k mark-up, and another is telling me "months".
    Does ordering one help? Will it really take 3-4 months?
    Thanks!
    The dealers in San Diego area have several listed in stock. Depending what options you want. I would email all of them and get a solid price on what you want. I would not pay a penny over MSRP. Both 2 and 4 door seem to be available. It is a cheap plane ticket down and a nice drive back. Your area has always been notoriously high priced on everything. Not sure why.
    thanks - i like the idea of driving back :)
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I hope your planned purchase goes well. Before you will drive your new TDI home to SF, read up on TDI break-in methods. 101 would be a great break-in route. If you get the DSG, keep it in sport mode.
    so - unless i change my mind on the color (red), i will need to place an order, it seems.
    anyone have any recent experience with this? how long can it take?
    thanks
  • bolucaboluca Member Posts: 32
    I am about to pick up a 2011 Sportwagen TDI that I ordered on 7/13/10. In my case it took 8 weeks. I was told it would take 12 weeks but it came in early.
    I was told 90 days by the salesman at Drew VW in La Mesa CA for a Sportwagen TDI just as I wanted it. The price was just under MSRP without negotiating. I see NO possible reason in this market for any premium. That is reason to walk for sure.
  • bootluckybootlucky Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a 2010 VW sportwagen TDI
    Options: DSG (automatic transmission) + Protection package
    MSRP: 25,805
    Sale Price: 24,726
    Tax: 6% (1484)
    Tags: 218
    Out the Door: $26,428
  • gracejacobgracejacob Member Posts: 2
    we are looking at the sportwagen tdi also... just keep getting mixed messages about how about getting the exact car we want and what really to pay for it... seems like there are a lot around, most have a little bit of the extras ( ie.. navigation ... wheels ) that we don't want to pay for... just want auto and moonroof.. any advise.. we are in the midwest.. not west coast..
    thanks
  • gracejacobgracejacob Member Posts: 2
    so new to leasing.. own our other car now after 5 years.. o % financing..
    considering leasing, but not sure how you negotiate that ...
    did you say your price? come up with the residual? etc..
    would love some advise!!
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    The main problem is getting Golf TDI's with DSG, we just cannot get any.
    We do have a few manuals, and we don't mark up cars.

Mico
  • pmaupmau Member Posts: 8
    Since you custom ordered. Were you able to negotiate the price? Is it true that if you custom order, you have to pay the msrp and you do not have flexibility to bargain? Let me know your experience.
    [quote] we are looking at the sportwagen tdi also... just keep getting mixed messages about how about getting the exact car we want and what really to pay for it... seems like there are a lot around, most have a little bit of the extras ( ie.. navigation ... wheels ) that we don't want to pay for... just want auto and moonroof.. any advise.. we are in the midwest.. not west coast..[/quote]

Seems to vary a bit from region to region and depending on dealer etc. You should always try to negotiate off the invoice price (dealer makes money on other things too). Email different dealerships to get an idea of possible prices for the vehicle with the options you want. Ask them for OTD pricing incl TTL to make comparisons easier for you. Once there is agreement visit the dealer and do some test driving and such. If you have a car you want to sell do that privately rather than with the dealer, you'll get most likely more money for it.

It's true that there are packages... You can't always pick and choose exactly the options you want. If you want one thing you might have to get a couple of others that are part of the package. For example, the stoopid IPod interface is bundled with most options.

In the end, the JSW TDI is extremely well built and a fun car to drive. Some have had bad luck with disintegrating HPFP and some sensor failures, but that seems to be affecting only a small percentage of unlucky '10 owners so far.

Hope that helps somewhat.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to interview people who are focused on achieving 30mpg or better in their next car puchase. Please reply to pr@edmunds.com by Fri, Oct 15, 2010 with your daytime contact info and a few thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

My next new car purchase will have to do much better than 30 mpg highway and not be a Hybrid.

From my experience with VW jetta TDI's so far, it won't be one of them either.

So then, a 'full size' 30 + mpg sedan that isn't a hybrid or a diesel leaves little to choose from, but from what I see out there right now, there are 2 or 3 that come close to the mark.

I do a lot of highway driving and am not so concerned about Urban mpg's, they suck no matter what.
    I think Electric will be years away, or never, from making sense for my highway driving needs.
    Getting between 45 and 50 mpg with my Jetta SW TDI. It's no battery powered golf cart either. My thoughts on the subject? Gas prices need to go up again before folks think about fuel efficient cars.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..............yes, diesels are certainly fuel efficient. A 25-year affair with my '82 Rabbit diesel pickup has certainly left its' mark..............

It's the price of a new TDI that amazes me.

best, ez..............
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the VW Golf TDI who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jjm51jjm51 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    looking to lease a 2011 golf tdi 4 door/manual transmission. msrp is 24,700.

if possible, can someone share what kind of lease deals you got on a 2010 or 2011 golf tdi lease in the last month or two; how much down, monthly payment, length of lease, miles allowed.

thanks!

john