Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Audi no longer includes free maintenance

Our Maintenance Guide should be fixed soon to reflect this; thanks for pointing it out!
  • iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    Will Q7 V12 TDI comes to the North America? When AMG and Porsche Turbo are blasting SUV to sport car category with ridiculously low fuel economy, I don't see why Audi has to hold back its most powerful diesel engine for North America.
    "Big doesn't always mean better...or safer.

That's the clear message from Europe's latest round of NCAP (New Car Assessment Program) crash testing, in which Audi's newly launched Q7 SUV failed to achieve the maximum five-star rating. This is despite the German carmaker's earlier assurances that it would pass the procedure with flying colors."

Audi Q7 Misses Top NCAP Safety Rating (Inside Line)
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    You can link to that directly you know...

Audi Q7

All Large Off-roaders
    Well yeah, but Inside Line is an Edmunds.com property (and I hate pdf files like your first link). :shades:

Besides, I saw it here first. ;)

Now the question is - does Audi try to get re-tested since they say they've fixed the poor welding that cost them points?
    It is up to NECAP if they will let them retest.

BMW had a major problem with the X5 a few years ago and NECAP let them retest. Both tests are listed on the scores for large off roaders. NECAP will send it to a review board that will decide if they can retest the Q7 and how the results will be listed.

NECAP went to those PDF file type summaries a few months ago as they provide more detail in a smaller format that is easier to read then the old HTML style summaries.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Does anyone know what the towing package looks like on the Q7. I am told that there are two types that are available, one that installed in the factory, and one that the dealer installs. I think the $550 option is the one installed by the factory. I have seen pictures of the Q7 with a towing input in the middle of the rear bumper, which i dont really like, and i have also seen this video showing the towing hitch electronically fold out from the back of the bumper. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5542401609736701031&q=audi+q7&hl=en . I am assuming that there would be a cover to go over the opening while the hitch is folded in. Does anyone know if the electronically folding hitch is the one that comes with the 550 towing package, or does that package give the car the ugly towing imput i have seen on some Q7's such as this one. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos/2007- /audi/q7/07q7_1-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/07q7.h- tm&h=167&w=250&sz=18&hl=en&start=81&tbnid=Bxd732FvXGNCxM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=111&prev=- /images%3Fq%3Daudi%2Bq7%26start%3D80%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D100%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D- %26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN.
    Thank you
  • xy46xy46 Member Posts: 26
    I noticed in the ratings that it said the testing was for the 2006 Q7? If Audi says they have fixed this, would this mean that likely the 2007 Q7 may not have the same issue? :confuse:
    Europe does their model years a little differently then in the US. There is a very clear date, set by the EU I think, on when a vehicle switches from one model year to the next unlike the US where it is up to the vehicle manufacturer to set the model year date.

Basicly this just means that many times a vehicle that is a 2006 MY european vehicle is exactly equivelant to a 2007 MY US vehicle.
    Is the tow hitch mounted to the car, or is it removable if not in use?? Also, is it an actual hitch, or just an imput for a hitch? It is hard to tell from the photo...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Had my 3.6 premium for 3 weeks now, and each day is bliss. The ride is nearly perfect. Smooth and quiet, almost no road/wind noise. Only sounds are the nice growl of the engine and the stereo. Also the dull thump of the small bumps being absorbed. Handling is crisp, minimal body roll on hard turns, steering is light but responsive. Audi really knows how to tune a suspension. Vastly superior to my Volvo XC90, and nearly as perfect as my A6. Power is more than adequate with the 3.6, unless you need to race or tow something.

The seats are incredible. Infinitely adjustable in every way, including separate lower and upper lumbar supports. Once you find the right setting, it's the most comfortable seat in the world.

MMI is intuitive and easy to use, though I must say it's not an improvement over old-fashioned buttons and knobs. For instance, you can program about 25 preset radio stations. In order to switch to one, you need to press the button to show the presets menu, then scroll down to the station you want (taking your eyes off the road) and press the button again. Old fashioned buttons on the dash are much more efficient. In MMI's defense, you can program any of those stations for voice activation. Once programmed, you press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "80's Hits" and it will switch to that station. Problem is it takes a few seconds to change stations, and it only recognizes the voice that programmed it (i.e. wife can't use voice system if she drives the car). Also, with Sirius you have almost 200 channels. If you're listening to channel 15 and you want to go to channel 120, you have to scroll all the way down (again, taking your eyes off the road). Enough complaining. It's still more good than bad. Sound is very good, btw.

The navigation system is excellent. Easy to use, big bright map, great voice directions. The power tailgate has become my new must-have feature. I'll never have another car without one.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Does your car have the air suspension?
  • riffmeisterriffmeister Member Posts: 6
    What vehicles did you compare to the Q7 before deciding on the 3.6 premium? Did you by chance compare to the GL450?
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    I do not have the air suspension. I did not seriously look at any other models (besides my previous Volvo XC90). For me, it was either the Q7 or another XC90.

I was never really impressed with the GL--looks too much like an ordinary Honda Pilot. I also knew that is was more expensive. Therefore I never bothered to drive one. None of the other competitors really did anything for me. Either I didn't like the looks, the interior, or the price. My only other thought was to extend my lease and wait for the new X5 or MDX. Glad I didn't wait.
    Yea definetly made the right choice!The new MDX is seriousley EXTREMLEY ugly and the new x5 stil cant match the Q7 in size. Plus, the Q7 just got amazing safetey ratings from NHSTA! Check em out:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/4199.html
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The European tests may be different, but the NHSTA gave the Q7 a 5 star rating for both front and side impact here in the United Sates.
  • drbill2020drbill2020 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new Q7 premium. Fully loaded. Car drives and performs great.
    One thing I noticed is the leather feels a little cheap. Is full premium cricket leather real leather? Or is it pleather or noga-hyde?
    I had a fully loaded VW T-Reg. The leather seemed real or better in that car.
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Audi Q7. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the Audi Q7 discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the Audi Q7 board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for Audi Q7 owners!

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Q7 fans,
    The Q7 on paper (dimensions, engine size, etc.) is almost identical to the new GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. And, the price can be similar for AWD models (3.6L V6 vs. 3.6L V6 models). How do you predict the the Q7 will compare in a CarAndDriver-style test comparision? The Acadia does cost a few thousand less, so have American engineers beat the German engineers? It appears they have. For example, the Acadia is faster 0-60, AND gives better MPG. If you respond, then please give at least one fact.
  • fatcat71fatcat71 Member Posts: 75
    Info on the Acadia is limited, but comparing the AWD models the Q7 has more HP and BETTER highway mileage, no bluetooth capability and a american GM interior, therefore cheap looking. Lets be realistic, if the car weighs about the same and has the same overall dimensions, you cannot fit 3 "adults" into the 3rd row of either car unless they are adult oopma-loopas. You are paying an extra 5-10K for
    A) resale
    B) luxury
    C) handling
    D) prestige
    Americans beating the germans?? Go ask MB about that. They are still regretting the merger to this day and their sales/quality prove it
    fatcat71, The Q7 gets 16 city / 20 highway MPG, and the Acadia gets 17 city / 24 highway. The Acadia has 275 hp vs. the Q7's 280 hp, but the Acadia is 300 lbs lighter, so its faster 0-60 (Q7 is 8 seconds 0-60 and Acadia is 7.7 sec). Handling should be slightly better in the Acadia due to the 300 lb difference. And, if you need prestige from a car, then there is a problem somewhere. (Who else can defend the over-priced German wunder-car, the Q7 against American engineering?...)
    I don't particularly care for the Q7 but just the fact that it is 300 lbs heavier does not necessarily mean it will handle worse then the Acadia.

There are a lot more factors involved in handling besides just over all weight.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    What BR said. To put it another way, if you think that any Suv from GM can out handle the Q7, then I have some real estate I'd like to show you. Not to mention as refined, and as quality an interior.

Let's however, give it the benefit of the doubt until there's a comparo. Uhh, also, If you think just quoting EPA estimates for fuel economy is accurate, well, see Real estate.

American engineering? When did GM come out with anything that's new, or leading in cutting edge technology, or safety?

What about being so heavily involved in Nascar, is leading in technology? Does Nascar scream technology to you? Maybe in dentistry.
    When did GM come out with anything that's new ...

Their E85 engines and fuel cell technology don't count? :)

tidester, host
    Yea the Q7 will almost definatley out-handle the Acadia. Not just weight is an isuue with handling, the suspension, balance, drivetrain, steering, and many other factors contribute to handling. Overall, the q7 and Acadia were intended for different, but similar purposes. The Q7 was meant to battle the x5 with handling and driving pleasure while still giving a fair amount of room for people looking to upgrade their honda pilots. The acadia is a large, roomy replacement for a minivan or perhaps a tahoe and was not intended to compete with the bmw x5 in terms of handling. And whats wrong with prestige in a car. If you DONT want prestige in a car then there is a problem somewhere. Otherwise everyone would be driving kias and there would be no varietey in any cars.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Agreed…they do appear to be targeted at very difference audiences.

I have not experienced any GMC’s of late…but anybody that has tasted Audi interiors won’t be confused.
    You got me there Tidester. Point for the stars and stripes.

Back to the real issue at hand. Do you really think the Acadia competes with the Q7 on engineering? Or in anyway other than price?

I'm wondering what that score card looks like in the grand scheme of automotive engineering, and technology.

Europe---- a lot

America----- well hell man, we got nascar
    To all above who doubt it, I predict the Acadia will clean the Audi's clock in a comparison on engineering grounds. I do agree we need a comparison to be sure, but it appears to me so far that GM is going to embarass Audi. And for those who think the Acadia/Outlook is a framed SUV like other GM turkey-SUVs, think again. Its a uni-body like the Q7. Let the games begin (I can't wait to gloat.) ;)
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    Maybe you started the gloating a little bit early. Being in the market for a SUV and seeing great leases being advertized for the Cadillac SRX, I went ahead and road tested one. Was not impressed. The next day, I road tested the Q7. The Q7 was light years ahead the Caddy in handling, refinement, interior, engine sound , etc...I fell in love. Now, If I could get the Audi dealer to offer 0% financing.... ;)
    guyf, I'm betting you didn't have an open mind when comparing the Q7 to the SRX. Can't say for sure. Sometimes people expect an Audi or MercBenz to be better, and power of suggestion takes over. We need a rigorous test by a team of experts (C&D are the best). GM has put out far too much junk to be competitive in the past, amid a few good products they've had. We've got great car-nut engineers in this country, so there is no reason why the Acadia/Outlook can't win a comparo. On paper it looks like the GM is doing very well. What remains is steering/handling feel and NVH (noise, vibration, & harshness). We already know that the engine/tranny in the GM vehicle is much more efficient at about the same power level as the Q7, and the Acadia/Outlook is quicker 0-60. More to come.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Good luck on that, those "experts" from C&D love Audi, Bimmer and Honda.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    I did have a very open mind when I road tested the SRX. I would love the monthly payment. The car just did not cut it. Very noisy engine on acceleration, vibration (out of balance tires?). I made the appointment 2 days before, the dealer had plenty of time to check it. If GM has poor dealers, there is no point in buying their luxury cars. The interior was OK and the second seat row was the most comfortable of all the SUV I have tested so far.

Who care's if the Acadia is 1/10 quicker in 0-60? Handling, NVH, and what I like for styling inside and out are what is important to me. If I wanted to drag race, I would get a Yamaha R1.

So if I follow you: "GM has put out far too much junk to be competitive in the past" but then the Acadia/outlook will be the best product ever? Let's wait and see. Experience taugth me never to judge a product on the spec sheet, I learned it the hard way: I bought a 1980 Chevy Citation based on C&D statement that "The Citation is not only the best american car ever made; it may well be the best car ever..." Well, guess what...
    You say you value handling and noise-vibration-harshness, and those are the test results awaited. My point mentioning the (relative) junk GM has put out in the past simply means that its why people doubt GM now, and people think of framed-truck chassis when thinking about GM. The extra 300 lbs on the Q7 merely makes GM smell blood in the water. Its about time. We should be exporting cars more than importing them.
    Your way to caught up in the 300 lbs difference. Are the dimensions the same?
    Dimensions (Acadia vs. Q7) are identical. One very important measure of how advanced a vehicle is lies in the weight. In the future, hopefully cars/trucks will use more advanced materials: thermoplastic carbon composites, lithium aluminum alloys, more boron steel, etc. The fact that the Q7 is porky speaks volumes about Audi's failure.
    fact that for the most part GM makes crappy vehicles speaks volumes that the next round will probably be just as crappy.

You stated that the Buick would handle better than the Audi due to weight. You are suggesting that you are an engineer according to your profile, yet without seeing a comparison, or even knowing that Audi's have a reputation for handling, and Buick's have a reputation for hauling people to Luby's, you've declared the Buick winner.

You sound like a big three ringer. Anything they do, or is going to do, is the next big thing, backed up by the big three putting out more uncompetative crap.

Come back in here when there is a comparison. I guarantee the Audi will out brake, out skid pad, and out slalom the luby's mobile.
    Uh have you driven the Q7? It certainly is not a failure, or why would they have all ready sold almost 6,000 since its been out in the US in june. It sounds to me like you dont like the Q7 because its German, and you DO like GM only because it is an American car maker. Americas a great country, but our cars stink IMO. Maybe theyre getting better, but it definitely hasnt happened yet. And being "porky" does not mean a car is bad. If it did then YOUR company GM would be out of business (suburban, tahoe, etc...). The Q7 will have the better interior, no doubt. Like i said before, i really think they are targeted at different audiences. Its like comparing an x5 to a trailblazer, theyre the same size, but the same type of people do not buy them. I think if the Acadia was compared to the Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle etc. then it would probably win hands down. But with the Q7, there is a reason the Audi is more expenisve.
    Exactly...We could even argue how a Mazda CX-7 is the best SUV when compared to the ones mentioned here...less $'s, handling etc...

But since we're on a Q7 board...and we all like to deviate a bit...it's probably more useful when comparisons are made with the Q7's class. Clicking “Compare Vehicles” for the Q7 3.6 reveals an X5, RX350, FX35, and MB M-Class

I personally find posts more useful that detail the driving experience, quirks, likes and dislikes etc.
    that guy may just be trolling. Anytime someone unknown just comes in and starts making ridiculous claims, that's usually the case.
    I appreciate the comments. Yes, I think real tests are important. Yes, I am an engineer, and the numbers are revealing something special in the GM offerings. Yes, GM has failed miserably in the past. Remember there are lots of car-nut engineers at GM, so chances are, they are going to hit one out of the park once in a while. Managers and corporate culture typically hold engineers back. Yes, I think comparing an X5 to a Trailblazer would be wrong, given the difference in price. Note the GM Acadia/Outlook is only a couple of thousand less than a 3.6L V6 version of the Q7, making it valid to compare. The Buick Enclave version of the GMC Acadia / Saturn Outlook family will be priced at about $40k, putting it in the Q7 price class. the real question is "What can I get for $35,000?". And ivan99's comment about what makes these forums good: I think its when people write things backed up by facts, without the German propaganda machine kicking in, like: "It must be good because its German" kind of mentality. So, for similarly priced models, I ignore the German propaganda and predict the Americans will win... We'll see though. I could be wrong, but it looks good.
    "..But with the Q7, there is a reason the Audi is more expenisve. ..."

Reply: Can you name the reason, or just state that there is one? If there is one, can you name it? Lets get down to facts here. I've provided numbers so far prior to full tests by auto experts, where it will be decided. What can you provide?
    You may be correct. It may be my preconceived ideas about GMC. When I think GMC, I just think tow trucks, and construction fleet vehicles.

I always thought that it was Cadillacs job of taking on Audi...but...when VW went upscale with their Touareg and Phaeton I thought it was a good idea...so who knows.

My brother's an engineer who used to work for a Ford parts supplier and I would always hear stories about how disorganized they were; and how they wouldn't spend an extra 0.10 to fix a faulty part. So I do agree that management probably plays the major role in the type of automobile produced.

It would be interesting if they “turned lose” the engineers to see what they could do. BTW...I'm very impressed with Cadillac lately; the new CTS promises to be be a gem.

Who knows, in the next 5 years or so I may purchase my first American car (not wanting to go into the definition of American car...to complex)
    Hmmm...well for one the interior is definalty superior to the GMC. The gmc will probably be a little more practical (not that the Q7 isnt). Numbers are not everything. IMO the most important part of buying a car is how it FEELS when you drive it. I have not driven the GM vehicles, so i can not say that they drive good or bad, but i can say that the audi q7 drives GREAT. I admit that i am partial to the German cars but that is only because they are almost always extremly nice driving cars. I have not heard of anything from GM that has a drive like german cars, except for maybe some of the new cadillacs (the srx in this category). So if these cars are at all like that (i think they should have made an srx replacement with this model) then they may very well compete with the Q7. I personally think the Buick would be closer in comparison with the Audi than the GMC, and if it was a cadillac it WOULD compare to the audi. The fact is that people DO want prestige in a car. It does not make them snobs, it just means they desire a nicer car. With the Audi you get an Audi, which has earned a luxury reputation not because of its price but because of the way their cars drive. Buick or Gmc imo have not earned that yet, but maybe this car will help them do that...
    quattroporte,
    Very well put. Thats why I bought a BMW 525i several years ago, not for snob appeal, but because the 5-series are gems performance-wise. Still, the Q7 may be overtaken by the Enclave/Acadia/Outlook in many respects. Performance is what counts. It looks like GM is so tired of screwing up designs that they have finally gotten mad and decided to get one right (appearances so far, anyway). About the way a car feels, that is important, and the engineers use phrases like "steering linearity" and "braking progressiveness" which translates into the music a vehicle can make. Car and Driver mag journalists are sensitive to this, so we'll see. They do not hesitate to skewer GM when the feel doesn't measure up. Audi was getting sloppy giving the Q7 an extra 300 lbs and poor MPG. What could they be thinking? Audi is the car company who makes an all-alluminum A8 body, so what gives with the porky Q7? What we really need is a measure of steering responsive which would reveal differences in controlability, such as a 2nd order transfer function estimate for both vehicles, between steering wheel angle and turn rate, providing damping and quickness data. That way one could capture the "feel" of a car without subjective human bias.
    I think that everyone here assumes that the Q7 will be and is superior to the Acadia 1)because this is a Audi board and everyone here either has or is interested in a q7 and 2) the gmc marketing sucks, where as the Audi had a giant microsite and many interesting commericals. The Acadia has a little box in the corner of the GMC homepage and does not promote that it is something "new" and "revolutionary" like the Audi did. Mabie it is comperable to the Audi, but, like i said before, the audi is an audi, and the gmc is a gmc. gmc's have not improved enough to be a "luxury" brand yet and until they do (which MAY be with this new car) i dont think people, especially us on this board, will look at them on the same class as the Audi. Maybe if it was a Cadillac...
    I just recieved my Q7 yesterday and i have to say that it is by far the best car i have ever owned. The whole car just flows together, the interior is amazing, and the 6-seat option makes it that much better, and the outer styling is...WOW! What a AMAZING car, i have ZERO regrets, it has the room of my old Sequoia with soooo much more luxury, style, dynamics, it is just an amazing car!!!! Just...wow!!!!!
  • bauksbauks Member Posts: 8
    I love my Q7. I bought it in August from Legend Autorama in Massapequa NY because they were the only ones that had it in stock at the time. They owe me a master key after 4 months. They have promised it to me at least a dozen times. They don't return my calls. They don't respond to Audi USA - they are impossible.

My father-in-law has just purchased one too - but how can I keep being a cheerleader for a company that can't get me a key?

Comments: I have the 4.2 premium. Love the acceleration. I have no sunroof problem. I do have a huge issue with the fact that my kids snapped off the plastic nubs to the sunshades within a week and you have to replace the entire shade for $450 a piece. Not so great engineering there folks.

The navigation is very good - I live in an area where there are new developments so some areas are uncharted. Once I looked to be flying over a bridge.

Looks wise - I get asked about my car all the time. My parents have the Cayenne - I told them they need to upgrade to the Audi.

It feels solid and handles so well. You have to watch your speed - you tend to fly.

I will say the gas mileage is pretty weak - maybe 14 mpg.

Love the bluetooth function of the phone and the Sirius.

Again STAY AWAY FROM LEGEND AUTORAMA - they have caused me so much anguish I had to let people know.