Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    the directions are in the NAV manual ;) to adjust the time on the NAV systems. the mins are auto set by GPS and then there is a +1 or -1 Hr setting button to adjust time for the hour setting. glad to be of help :)
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I had the entire front end of my WRX covered with a 3M ClearBra through a local installer. For the most part, I liked the film because it took a LOT of abuse and I imagine the paint underneath was still unharmed, but it's not without drawbacks. The film is ungodly expensive to have installed if you're doing the full kit (I paid about $900) and, worse, after 2 years of commuting over the mountain passes from Sacramento to Reno, the film had become pitted and scarred from all the sand and rocks. Granted, the actual *paint* was protected, but the overall effect was the same -- when I would wax the car, all the pits would show up white, and the front looked "sandblasted" after 40K miles.

That being said, I could have removed the film before selling the car and had a pristine looking paintjob, but I chose to leave it on -- the next owner was thrilled that the front was protected and didn't mind the slightly pitted look of the film. Otherwise, no yellowing (3M guarantees it won't yellow for life) and the film remained virtually invisible from 5 feet away.

Brian
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think those results came out a while ago.

No surprise, Forester and Outback both managed the same thing.

Let's see how the IIHS tests go.

-juice
  • Options
    gsx95gsx95 Member Posts: 18
    yeah i was thinking the same, if we connect to the vid in on the back of the radio...you would need to press aux to see the rear view cam. i may have to go to someone who has done this for other cars, since i want it to be fully automatic when reverse is engaged. i think i should have it all figured by this week, with something working in two weeks. i dont think the video is going to be a problem, what will be a problem is adding an aux audio upfront with out having to run cables from the back.
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Keep in mind you need to fool the system into thinking the brake is set and the tranny is in park. A normally open relay wired to the back up lamps would serve to turn on the camera. The hard part is the parking brake & park setting to allow the front display to run the camera's video.

Keep me posted, my email is in my profile
  • Options
    aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    As long as the parking brake is on the Video will show on the Navigation screen- no need for it to be in park.

AKA
  • Options
    As long as the parking brake is on the Video will show on the Navigation screen- no need for it to be in park.

AKA

Exactly ! so all that needs to be done is tap the signal wire to a ground... :)
  • Options
    looking at the wiring diagram, it looks the wiring running to the back input audio panel has 2 mid point connectors. so if someone can figure where to buy the same connector, you could unplug near the radio and just make a jumper that would plug in there. so no cutting the wiring :)

I know Karen and a few others would be interested in buying one if someone got ambitious.
  • Options
    subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Remember we want to back up. How much does the brake need to be set? Maybe a relay can handle the brake switch
  • Options
    you need to GROUND out the wire on the wiring diagram (that says Parking Brake) and has a grnd symbol located on the end of the line... that wire is looking for a ground and when it sees a ground (ie. when the parking brake is engaged) it allows the video to be displayed on the screen.

the issue will be how to automatically get the video mode to appear. I dont think just by putting on the parking brake the video appears on the front NAV screen. I have to hit the Audio button to toggle it on.
  • Options
    aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    Either way- the car does not need to be in park for the DVD to play on the Nav screen, as long as the parking brake light is illuminated, ie, just the first "click."

The light on the steering wheel was just a thought- with the controls already pre-lit on the steering wheel, glare won't be an issue- Saab's have a nice feature, all interior lights except for the speedometer can be turned off when driving in extreme darkness. My B9 is one of the most well lit cars out there now, especially the instrument cluster- each and every button that can be lit up has been lit up, not to mention an LED bulb on the head liner that casts a red glow over the console and blue (indiglowish) lights in the cup holder that makes a clear cup of water look blue. If Subaru has gone as far as that- why not the badge on the steering wheel, or the scuff plates on the door sill?
  • Options
    mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    There is also a product call X-Pel (www.xpel.com) that is similar to the 3M film. A complete hood, mirrors, fenders and bumper kit runs about $500. Installation is available if you have a dealer in your area, but it doesn't look too difficult to apply. All the pieces are precut to fit the B9 exactly.
  • Options
    or the ON/Off label on the radio volume knob should be lit. not just the background of the knob
  • Options
    yeah but why worry about the parking brake at ALL :confuse:

you dont need to engage the brake at all. I think even one click the brakes are starting to engage the wheel...

if you instead connect the sensor on the back of the TV Screen unit and bypass the brake circuit you can fool the system into thinking the brake is on without affecting the emergency braking system at all.
  • Options
    Secret Hand Shake Trivia time:

Did you know the front hood latch release lever is directly below the Celaeno star in the Pleiades? It's the right-most star.

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Xpel uses 3M film, by the way. In fact, most of the companies do. They add their own "value" to the product by developing templates and cutting the material for specific vehicles.

Craig
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    The XPEL kit is the one I used on my WRX -- and it is the same 3M material that other vendors use. The kit comes pre-cut for each car, but having watched a portion of the install by the pro's, I am glad I did not attempt the install myself. It is VERY time consuming (it took over 6 hours to do my WRX) and the potential for error is high. I didn't want to save a few hundred to do it myself, only to have to look at bubbles and errors for the next few years.

If you're just attempting to do the lights or a single strip on the hood, try it yourself, but the bumper piece is very complex and not easy to work with.

B
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    neat-o! :)
  • Options
    Try out my theory on your Subie(s). I showed some of the Subaru employees at the Detroit show and they didn't know about this.

-juice
  • Options
    i know about the parking brake, and could easily ground it at the back of the kenwood tv/nav screen. the issue is that you would still need to hit the aux button to see the rear view cam. i want it to be automatic, this way i know others in my family will use the rear view cam. As i type i actually have the cable apart figuring out the wiring on the RGB cable. my intention is to make this a very clean install for myself. i do not have the capacity to build my own Rgb box, for this part i've found a few vendors on the web that sell what i need. Maybe i will ask if they will host a group buy. i will post all picture of my install, as the project gets going. my goal is to be done next week.
  • Options
    Probably too much pollution in DC also, especially since I'm north of the city and I'd be looking through the haze.

But I'll take a peek, I'm curious to see if I can at least find Mars!

-juice
  • Options
    vger105vger105 Member Posts: 57
    You should be able to see The Pleiades from where you are. Here's what the sky will look like around 10:00 PM:

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/public/MarsNov.jpg

Note The Pleiades is to the left of Mars, and looks like a fuzzy patch with adverted vision. Looking directly at it will allow you to see the individual stars. Binoculars will provide a better view.
    Good luck finding "our namesake."
  • Options
    cadillaccadillac Member Posts: 7
    After driving my Tribeca for 17 - 20 mins, the TPMS indicator flashes on my dashboard. If I turn off my car, which apparently resets the system, it will not flash for another 17-20 mins. I have checked the tire pressure on all tires both warm and cold and they are neither high nor low. Any suggestions?

SirCadillac
  • Options
    onestaronestar Member Posts: 14
    Alot of the sensors in the tires are faulty. At least one of them in my tire was. Bring it back to have it replaced.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out at night when I walk the dog. My house has enough trees that it blocks the view to the south, so I have to go out to see it.

-juice
  • Options
    paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    Made the deal on Friday for our new Tribeca; 5-pass, Ltd, all-weather mats, puddle lights, auto-dimming compass mirror upgrade, and a couple of other small options. Price quoted and agreed to was $33,759 (looks like invoice price from what I can determine). We pick it up on Wednesday. The only 'extra charge' was $65 for doc fees and such. It is white with grey leather. If you are in Minnesota, check out St. Cloud Subaru. They are straight shooters. We pick it up Wednesday, just in time for snow. I can't wait...

Paul in MN.
  • Options
    Way to go, Paul! Congrats!

I like the pearlescent effect on the new white color.

-juice
  • Options
    corvettegregcorvettegreg Member Posts: 11
    I know you will love it....I have the other "book end" in NY...same color, same interior, same options plus cargo mat and roof racks (which are off already)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I went to the Boston Auto Show on Friday and spoke to a nice Subaru representative. I told her we're tired of Dust In The Wind and whatever she could do would be appreciated.
  • Options
    paulsgtpaulsgt Member Posts: 30
    I forgot to mention that ours has the NAV as well.
    (5-pass, limited, w/NAV)
    The pearlecent white is cool! I need to find some chrome finish wheels for it.

Paul in MN.
  • Options
    stony418stony418 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 5 seat w/Nav and no DVD. It sounds like you might be doing a little surgery on your "Beca". If you have or are planning to. While you have her opened up let me know where or how the harness is routed. My thought is that the RSE/AUX might have the wire harness installed even though the rear entertainment system not installed. If it does I'm interested in using the RSE/AUX switch to add an XM radio using this harness or perhaps the mid point connecters you refured to. Other wise whats the purpose of the RSE/AUX button on the dash?

Thanks

Eric
  • Options
    i've got the nav with the RSE, assuming both radios are identical, then either the cable is connecte but missing the the wires that feed the sound into the radio. if this is the case, then you might be able to wire an aux of your own to use for XM.. the only thing i dont know is how you would be able to trigger the aux button. in the wiring guide there is a wire for the trigger, maybe someone with more experience can guide us along. i am pretty certain that we can tap in there to feed audio into the head unit. i've allready figured out the DIN nav plug wiring pin out. i know what cables feed the RGB singnals. once i get the video done with rear view cam, i will turn my attention to the aux.
  • Options
    anmillsanmills Member Posts: 8
    I have the 5 seat Nav but no DVD. Also interested in the rear camera as it is the one option that competitors have to this car. Particularly if it was automatic

Would be great if you could publish a 'how to'. Have you already determined which camera you would use and how it would mount?

Keep up the informative good work
  • Options
    Check out the one that came with the rear-view mirror, it was covered in the Blogs Edmunds has. Of course I can't find it right now...

-juice
  • Options
    If you find it that would be a help. When you say rear view mirror. I already have the auto dim/compass option so probably looking for the video feed into the nav unit
  • Options
    Okay, found the blog it was back a few pages, looks neat, but want to go the nav unit route. Here is the link

Rear Site Mirror
  • Options
    megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    For those of you that have split open the dash to do all those poking, can some1 tell me if you see any video switching device like this?
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=8&k3=57&pr=1976
    It is not too diffcult to feed rearview camera to the nav screen but will the video/image have the correct orienation?
    The video/image need to be reversed otherwise some1 walking behind the car from pass. side to driver side will come out as some1 walking from driver side to pass. side on the screen.
    The KVA-S300 should work nicely. Crutchfield.com sells it for like $200 and should be available 12/26.

BTW is there room for such a unit? dimensions: 9"W x 1-5/16"H x 6-11/16"D

There is also a company that sells license plate frame camera. That should also work well since you will only need to drill a small hole for the wire, maybe behind the plate. I can look for it if some1 is interested.
  • Options
    Nice find. Doesn't that look neat? It says you can incorporate NAV, I guess as a display.

-juice
  • Options
    After owning our 5 seat Limited Tribeca for one week, I have but two wishes; I wish it had memory seats and I wish it had a factory satellite radio.
    Other than that, we LOVE our Tribeca! It has exceeded our expectations in every way.
    BTW, I bought the newest Roady satellite radio:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Delphi-XM-Roady-XT-Satellite-Radio-Receiver-SA1017511P1-/se- m/rpsm/oid/134830/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

but I haven't had a chance to install it yet.
  • Options
    Looks cool, will you use FM modulation?

-juice
  • Options
    Yes. I put a Delphi HiFi satellite radio in our other car, an '04 Nissan Quest, and used FM modulation. No trouble with it at all.
  • Options
    petems1petems1 Member Posts: 5
    Where will you mount the XM radio in the Tribeca? i had the Terk Commander installed last week. I located the receiver on the left side of the dash just under the vent on the polished steel molding. It looks ok but not the most convenient spot.
  • Options
    archeearchee Member Posts: 2
    Hi ALL, it's nice to have a ,beckas' forum. Anyway I checked the legacys and might not be that bad to create page like that for us. I just got mine. It was fast Wednesday picked some booklets up, Saturday test drive, Tuesday deposit and Thurday thank you very much, price paid 30 000 with + tax title, it's champagne gold with beige int limited 5 pass no nav no addons but that's fine. I insisted on them to run a cable from subarus audio system but they recommended some profi sound. They drill the hole in the main control panel and that I can use reg jack. I could do it myself but I'm sure that my hands will screw this up. Also dealer will cover this as professional installment, fully covered. So the idea of mounting xm or sirius to my becky is not only dream but it might be soon accomplished. The only thing is that since my mp3 has 100 GB + video option I don't really know if I pay for sat radio.I wish all the best driving
  • Options
    archeearchee Member Posts: 2
    For those who were interested, as I major window film distributor I can recommend avery 6 mil for body paint and 20-40 mil for fog light. I can't sale. US is not my territory but check www.allsaver.com and www.filmtechnologies.com, the second one can give you some tips on body paint protection film. :shades: :) A:)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip.

-juice
  • Options
    I did a Google search for mud guards (shouldn't a Limited have them standard?) and found a slew of interesting pages, including this one:
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2006.html#accessories
  • Options
    Spitz does a great job with that web site and deserves kudos. We end up referring to it all the time for various things. :)

-juice
  • Options
    That's also the spot I'm going to mount it. You're right about not being the most convenient spot, but it's the least conspicuous.
    How did the installer route the wires?
  • Options
    misramisra Member Posts: 3
    I have a 5 pass limited without Nav and wanted to add an AUX input for an iPod or XM. Has anyone be able to do this? If so what connectors to the stereo and pictures would be great!

Thanks.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There are aftermarket companies that do this, I think for XM there is a wireless link.