Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, you should be in good shape. I searched cars.com and found 2 used ones, $33,690 and $34,495. Very strong residuals.

I would consider the backup camera, though. Some times a small enhancement like that can make the whole ownership experience a lot better.

Example - I hated the high-profile tires on my Forester, but a Plus One set of rims with lower-profile tires fixed that and really let me enjoy my Forester's handling better. I've had it now for 8+ years!

-juice
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    well the nav cant be used by the passenger during trips
    it cant look up phone address
    and I will consider the rear camera where would one get that?
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    i dont know of any factory installed NAV that will let you program while driving due to lawyers. you would need an aftermarket. at least this one does let you select saved points in memory as destinations when driving. my last one only let you select emergency stuff (gas, fire, hospital)

phone numbers are like all other factory navs and only has businesses. its on the SECOND page of the destination input page is an enter phone number.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Consider yourself reminded. :-)

Link is on the left (and yes, we really are having one tonight, unless this post jinxes the server).

Steve, Host
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I know for a fact that the Infiniti M & Acura RL both allow use of the nav while driving - but through their advanced voice recognition systems.
    One of those was on the Edmunds Blog, really cool, too. It replaced the rear view mirror, part of that became the reverse screen. Neat, because you look there to back up instinctively.

I can't find it now, in fact I can't find the entire CarTech Blog? Anyone?

Here's another one on E-bay, not the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5781736918&category=32826

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    CarTech went on vacation since daily posts weren't getting made. Karl and Straightline are still rocking.

Steve, Host
    I saw in the NAV setup menu that there is a TEST mic function. so I do think that the unit will accept a mic :)

not much else there but stuff on reseting your position if your NAV is off. and some test functions.
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    Sorry you are not happy with your big purchase. I agree with some of your points, and I understand your take on the others.

I've had several things plugged in simultaneously and have not had anything blow to date. TransPod FM transmitter for iPod (which also charges it), 2 phone adapters and radar detector all active most all of the time with nary a problem.

I have experimented with mid-grade fuel for a couple of months and my mileage has indeed dropped off a couple of points. Now that the $$ of gas is coming down, I am switching back to high grade premium and expect to get those MPG's back up a bit. Still, it's not great...

I have posted my woes with the rear hatch lift arms on the Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions Forum. My dealer says that Subaru is looking for a new vendor with a stronger part to replace these. Meanwhile I just duck :-)

As far as the seat comfort, I have read this several other places and I don't get it...I have driven nearly 12k miles and am always very comfortable (I have arthritis), as are my passengers. The lack of telescoping wheel might be the most significant contributing factor to some of the driver's discomfort, I think.

As for the Nav, the more you play with it, the more you'll figure it out. I haven't had too many problems with it, and it's been a joy and a blessing to have. I just figure it's smarter than I am :confuse:

One good thing I keep reading in various places is that the resale value is still quite good. If you want to trade, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a buyer.

Good luck with all of this... -Karen in AZ-
    I agree about the front seats are uncomfortable. When in a normal driving position the seat is hard and the bolsters don't hold you well in tight turns.

When exiting, the bolster is too soft and collapses as you swivel to get out causing the hard plastic trim panel to cut into my thigh.

The Subaru regional manager that approved the in warranty replacement of my fog lights offered the same complaint.

The seat's poor design is more noticeable with men or larger drivers, Men in general have bigger butts and the seat is designed for a cute tush and men and larger woman who weigh more are victim of the collapsing bolster.

The lack of a telescoping steering wheels also makes apparrent the fact that the seat needs more adjustment.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    The unit has an plug for mic input. So it does accept a mic. The catch is that there is no voice command menu. That choice is suppose to be on the same screen as the voice (male/female/language) button.
    I wonder if it appears if it senses a mic plugged in?
    I spoke with an engineer from the nav supplier - our versions can not be upgraded to voice command. They supplied to SOA specs and that feature or capability was not in the SOA specs.
    I would think OK .. but why would the NAV setup menu have a MIC setup button if it would not recognize the mic? also why would there be a place in the back for the mic?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    The presence of a feature in hardware doesn't necessarily mean it's supported in software! If someone knew how to hack into the NAV and program it, then perhaps the mic could be enabled. But that's a heck of a programming job.

Craig
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760

Sales are looking good, as most here expected, unfortunately SIA had around 1,200 Tribecas damaged in last weeks tornado, so that could cause some delivery delays to dealers.

i see that liberty subaru is selling them from $25,950
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    If someone knew how to hack into the NAV and program it, then perhaps the mic could be enabled. But that's a heck of a programming job.

Unless the non-Subaru version of the nav unit was available to copy a patch! I did something similar on the first industrial control computer about 50 years ago (same basic hardware as an existing office computer that came from the same source).

Any good software geeks listening?
    yes but IT IS available in the NAV setup menu. the directions to access the NAV configuration was posted earlier. you click ABOVE the button on the screen and put in the code. and you can see that one of the screen has a MIC input testing screen.
    I was thinking in terms of the software to recognize and process voice commands -- that is not lightweight stuff.

Craig
  • era174era174 Member Posts: 67
    U$ 25,950 = C$ 30,000 => the Canadian Legacy base model!

The Canadian MRSP for B9 is from U$ 36,000 = C$ 42,000.

The difference is exactly U$ 10,000 = C$ 12,000!

Usually Canadians don't get huge discounts as Americans do.

Wow. Wow. Wow. I just envy American customers. You guys are just lucky.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    you didn't read carefully...

these are TORNADO damaged vehicles (paint job, maybe glass, is damaged).

John
  • vger105vger105 Member Posts: 57
    So we can assume that all-wheel drive is of little to no assistance in a tornado. ;o)
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    or being run over by a 737
  • b9ctb9ct Member Posts: 16
    I have scoured the message boards have found no answer as to whether or not Sirius or XM can be installed. I was thinking that somehow it could be run thought the NAV screen as the radio is eliminating the need for the unsightly head unit. Any thoughts?
    most people have either run it off the rear A/V inputs on the DVD equipped or used a radio transmitter type unit.

There is one person looking at building a tie into the rear A/V but at the head unit but that is a custom installation. The factory radio / Nav has no built in support for XM radio. probably get that next year model?
    went to the local subaru ski event. they had all the new models from a local dealer on display. got a free day of skiing plus they had free 1 hr ski or snowboard lessons. it rocked! plus they had a tent set up with free coffee and hot coco. and gave a pair of skis and a snowboard away.

I spoke the factory rep and told him about the cheap cargo cover, the fog lights cracking, and the rear hatch struts not working in cold weather. he said thanks for the ummm feedback. but did say he will take the info back to the product people at subaru. :) I figure the more they hear from different sources the better.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    why is it they don't work in the cold? just found that out now its -8F outside!
    does it need a little WD40???
    I am sure the cold temps lower the density of the gas in the struts, and they must loose "oomph" to hold the hatch open all the way. Basically, the struts would have to compress more under a given weight.

CRaig
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the information on my car issues. I have to be fair and tell everyone that the power blew in the under arm rest unity because a penny lodged itself into one of the sockets and blew the fuse...just my luck!
    Be very careful, any vehicle with a salvage title may not even be insureable.

Is that a word? :confuse:

$26k is a deal if they fixed 'em to pass a safety inspection and they were never totalled in the first place.

Even so, that's risky, you never know the full extent of the damage.

-juice
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I remember the original posting about the tornado damaged vehicles in Indiana and IIRC I said that I felt they would scrap them as a manufacturer wouldn't want the possibility of any problems regarding totaled vehicles - especially on a newly launched vehicle.

I'm suprised these are finding their way onto the market.
    I think I'd prefer used, given the history could not possibly be as bad.

$26k is tempting, but that's a lot of money to spend on an unknown quantity. Resale will be awful, too, if you end up not liking it.

-juice
    The insurer plays a big role in making that decision.

If they are only paying a small or modest portion of the cost - then the factory would have to eat millions if they scrap the cars out.

If the insurer paid SOA their full cost, then the insurer owns the cars and has the right to sell.

Very often they would negotiate with SOA to sell them through their network at a reduced price and the insurer then pays SOA the difference

I would think that other than physical body damage exclusions these cars would be covered under a factory warranty on the power train. It was a tornado after all not a flood.
    The insurer plays a big role in making that decision.

Oh I realize that. But if the insurer is paying Subaru the full cost, then the vehicles should be sold with salvage titles and no warranties because they are totalled.

In the case mentioned, it's being sold without a paint warranty. That alone raises warning flags for me. If the vehicle was repairable, it should have a full warranty. It should also be sold at market price - not discounted of course. After all, manufacturers repair defects at the factory all the time.
    If it was hail damage, I'd buy in a heartbeat and then pay a few hundred bucks to get the dents rubbed out by the local dent wizard guy. Since the car is just going to pick up more dents over it's life anyway, existing dents wouldn't keep me from a great deal. I am guessing the damage must be minor if the cars are on the market.

Craig
    Apparently you are not familiar with modern factories.

Yes minor line defects are repaired not physical damage. It would be impossible for a factory to repair physical damage at a reasonable price and even if they could which they can't do it without totally disrupting their manufacturing operations causing chaos, quality problems and on an on.

It is unlikely the insurer paid the full price but even if they did that fact does not mean the car is a total loss in the terms you mean. It just means that it is cheaper than fixing it. Remember a car that has a sticker price of say $30,000 probably has a bill of materials cost with labor of no more than 10 or 12K.

So they get say 10K for the damage - discount it 10K with a limited warranty and everyone can get a deal.

It's call making lemonade from lemons.

You do the math.
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    Are the dealers disclosing in their ads or by their salespeople that these are damaged vehicles? A local dealer is advertising several Tribecas as well as some Outbacks and a Legacy GT all with less than 20 miles. No mention of the circumstances or any limitations in the warranty coverage. Who's the previous owner? Wouldn't these all have salvage titles? I wonder how many unsuspecting buyers are being told something along the lines of "Tornado? What tornado?..."
    Apparently you are not familiar with modern factories.

No I am not - are you?

I find it hard to accept that paint and body damage isn't fixed at the factory prior to shipping. I know that dealers do it all the time so I would expect the manufacturer to do it as well. I'd be happier if it were fixed at the manufacturing plant as opposed to the local body shop.

I realize it's not a total loss in the way we see it but I find it hard to believe that the insurer would pay off the BOM cost of $10-12K and let Subaru keep the vehicle and sell it.
  • efinch2efinch2 Member Posts: 3
    My dealer said to go to Best Buy and have it installed. It will play through the radio system but they would have to mount a unit just behind the stick shift.
    Actually I am - as an Executive VP of a $900 million manufacturing company I am very familiar with modern manufacturing processes.

It all about dollars, efficiency and quality control - non of which are improved by putting tornado damaged products back in your factory.
    I will still contend that the cold weather may not be the only issue...mine started failing when it was still 100 degree here :-( My dealer has stated that Subaru admits the struts are not strong enough and they are looking for a different supplier. I should hear something in the next week or so....I'll keep everyone posted!

-Karen in AZ-
    A penny? Heck, if it had been a quarter, I would have arm-wrestled you for it! Glad to hear you have solved the mystery!

-Karen in AZ-
    I am not in any way familiar with the manufacturing process, admittedly. Still, how can some seemingly superficial damage be worth $10,000 in sticker price? I was born and raised in north central Indiana (not far from Lafayette), so I do know the ability of a summer storm to do some major damage, but I cannot fathom this. Other than obvious body and/or glass damage, what else could be hiding on the un-insurable list? Could an external body and paint job cost ten grand? Please enlighten me :surprise:

-Curious Karen (now in AZ)-
    We have all seen what tornados do? There could be significant sheet metal & glass damage. If the glass broke the interior may have cosmetic water damage.

I am sure this not case of superfical damage. Also who knows what the discount range is. I would be surprised if all vehicles have the same discount. For my purpose $10K was for illustrative purposes.

Of course the physical damage would cost less than the $10K discount being offered.

Who in their right mind would buy a damaged vehicle if the repair cost was equal to the discount.

American manufacturers have ethics and will not or can not lie about what happened to the car.

They just want to get the problem behind them - so they come up with a number they can live with and hopefully the public will accept.

It is really very logical.
    In another thread, someone said they bought a Legacy that suffered such damage. He seemed quite happy with the price and knew what he was getting.

Apparently the paint damage was only visible with a special light (black light maybe?), but it was enough that they could not honor the paint warranty, and it had to be sold as a used car.

-juice
    Actually I am - as an Executive VP of a $900 million manufacturing company I am very familiar with modern manufacturing processes.

I presume you meant an automotive manufacturing plant and that is what I geared my answer towards. If not, then yes I am somewhat familiar with the workings of modern manufacturing plants. Rework of products is common int he industries I'm familiar with as opposed to scrapping or selling seconds.

I still can't see why Subaru would risk it's reputation selling "new" vehicles that have been repaired without a warranty - even at a discount. Insurance is there to cover incidents such as these and write-offs cover what insurance doesn't. I have a feeling these vehicles are being resold by the insurance company at auction. In that case, Subaru has no control over them,
    But a full write-off for minor damage would send those insurance premiums sky-rocketing. Hence the damaged vehicles being sold.

-juice
    But a full write-off for minor damage would send those insurance premiums sky-rocketing. Hence the damaged vehicles being sold.

That I understand. What I don't understand is the lack of a warranty. If the damage is minor, the factory should be able to repair it and offer a complete warranty. As I noted, dealers often have bodywork done when the vehicle is damaged upon arrival - many times without the need to disclose it. If it can be done well at the dealer, then the factory should be able to do an even better job.

I'm starting to lean more to that it's the insurance company selling the vehicles at auction and dealers are picking them up on the cheap.

I'll post to Terry and ask.
    It's not "factory" paint, though. Any re-spray is not going to be as perfect as factory, which is baked in.

-juice
    It's not "factory" paint, though. Any re-spray is not going to be as perfect as factory, which is baked in.

Ah juice - when was the last time you were in a body shop? I unfortunately have had a few incidents in the past couple of years and all the paint was allowed to cure in a heated booth.