Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    slow down folks, can't keep up with the posts.

It's juice's fault!! :)
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    And why the Future Models forum is deserted ?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i did not realize Subie's goal for this model was as low as 40K per year.

it is much lower, around 15-20k i think. wow doubling baja sales, what a reach.
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    IIRC the floor of the cargo area was 43" wide or so by about 41" long.

wow 5 inches longer than my huge forester lol
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If Subaru wants to hit 250K sales in the US for CY 2006, and it only set goals of 15-20K per year for the Tribeca, AND sales for 2004 were 187.5K for 2004, where is the other 45,000 unit growth going to come from?

15-20K seems like a very low target for this SUV. Or at the very least, one that doesnt make sense in light of the growth expectation.

---------------------------------------------

FWIW, our 2005 Legacy 2.5i Sedan 4EAT is in for its SECOND multi-day repair requiring a loaner vehicle. This, after but 7000 miles of ownership. Is this the quality that is supposed to make me a Subaru loyalist? I shudder to think so.

And this time, they couldnt even give us a Legacy like last time, its a Mitsu Lancer... wonderful timing-a vehicle without AWD, ABS, OR side airbags- and an impending heavy snow storm in NJ over the weekend- precisely the reason I convinced my pops to buy the Legacy in the first place.

(FWIW- First multi-day repair resulted in replacement of the rear windshield; stereo refused to function with rear defogger on. This time around, a strange burning smell and subsequent investigation revealed coolant all over the engine compartment, but no drop in coolant level. Very odd. Currently at dealership awaiting verdict. Car purchased in July, running tally of days out of service: 8).

I must say though, the service from Flemington Subaru was PHENOMENAL (defogger/winshield issue), and thus far the experience at Nitti's Subaru in Hamilton Square,NJ has been very good as well (coolant issue). I would have preferred to go back to Flemington, but, at the point the burning smell was noted, the closet dealership was Nitti's.

Sorry, thanks for letting me rant, Im just really bummed.

-Joe
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Sorry to hear about that. Please keep us posted on the details.

Craig
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Here's a suggestion for SOA (or if anyone on the Crew has the chance to pass this along to someone they know @ SOA that'd be super).

Pacific NW is a Subie stronghold, right? Unfortunately, the Seattle Auto Show's not 'til November, and most of us in the Seattle/Puget Sound area (let alone Central & Eastern Washington) are unwilling to drive all the way to Portland, Oregon, for a look at B9 Tribeca. So... I'd like to see the major dealers in Washington state host the Tribeca for at least one day each this spring (or sooner!) and invite their customers & guests for a "show & tell". This would be a great way to spread the word about Tribeca & get bodies into the dealerships, maybe resulting in some pre-orders. It'd be nice to have a product expert from SOA there, since all salespeople don't know the cars equally well. Those first impressions are sooo important. (My dealer has been excellent in all regards, but I've been to others...)
  • Options
    steve osteve o Member Posts: 8
    Craig

Glad to see you give such good remarks to the B9..i work at the subaru plant and its good to hear about it from peaple outside the plant. i would like to say thanks to all for your views good or bad, now i have some kind of feedback from "real" people....
  • Options
    steve osteve o Member Posts: 8
    hey jeff i work at sia (subaru of indiana auto)i will take your idea to someone up in the office tomorrow..(1-20-05)...ill try to keep u up to date..
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Thanks, Steve.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    some 'local' people from SIA on the boards!

Brenda (South Bend, IN)
  • Options
    gfd50gfd50 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen a b9 w/o nav? If so, please direct me to site. THX
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Yeah, I'd like to see the price for a loaded Tribeca but with no nav, no DVD and only 5 seats.

I don't need no stinkin' minivan :)

Sly
  • Options
    anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    Need/want the 7 seats but not planning on DVD or Nav - so a ballpark for that too....
  • Options
    Juice -

I'm doing my own comparison here - are these the stnds .... I'm working on an Edmunds-like comparison ... since this is too early.

just checking - thanks,
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    My new Subaru magazine came yesterday. I told my wife that there has been some real controversy about the styling of the new Tribeca. I showed her the pictures in the Subaru magazine and Car & Driver. She liked it and said I could get when if I want when I get my truck paid off. Go figure.
  • Options
    Can you get these at the dealer (mag) and which issue of Car & Driver?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Any idea on some of these - again, just working a comparing to some others we have looked at...

Spare - temp or full size?

Wipers - front intermenttent I presume.

rear ?

Liftgate window - fixed or does it open?

Power seats - memory?

Rear heat/air - sep controls in back?

Rear Audio?

Do rear windows go all the way down or partial?

Steering? Tilt/telescopic?

Cupholders - 10 - where?

Power outlets - how many without DVD?

External temp gauge?

Compass?

Rear park assist?

Noticed options of stero - what comes stnd?

Antenna?

Obviously, I am having a slow morning!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Spare - temp or full size?

Temp :(

Wipers - front intermenttent I presume.

rear ?

I believe so

Liftgate window - fixed or does it open?

Fixed

Power seats - memory?

No

Rear heat/air - sep controls in back?

I think so. Maybe only 7-passenger versions?

Rear Audio?

Not sure

Do rear windows go all the way down or partial?

Partial

Steering? Tilt/telescopic?

Tilt only

Cupholders - 10 - where?

All over. 2 up front, 2 in middle center armrest, 2 in third row areas, and probably 1 in each door

Power outlets - how many without DVD?

2 in front cent armrest, and I think 1 in rear cargo area

External temp gauge?

Yes

Compass?

Not sure

Rear park assist?

Don't think so, at least not yet

Noticed options of stero - what comes stnd?

1 in-dash CD, with 6-CD optional (6 CD probably standard on up-trim packages)

Antenna?

Probably in the glass, as per other Subies

Bob
  • Options
    Great! Thanks for the help! A couple of more -

auto dimming rearview mirror?

1 touch power windows?

Do they have that auto stop feature if something blocks it?

As expected - so far in line w/the others...
  • Options
    auto dimming rearview mirror?

Don't remember? If not standard, I'm sure it's available

1 touch power windows?

Do they have that auto stop feature if something blocks it?

Auto down on driver's window only

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah Rob, my bad, I just had some 'splainin to do to answer some of the questions that were asked. 288 photos!

Is LR3 still aluminum bodied?

Price minus Nav and DVD? Well, working backwards, we know it won't exceed $40k. Nav typically runs $2 grand, and DVD runs about a grand, maybe more since the screen is huge.

By that logic my guess would be $37k MSRP at most. But I'll say $36k. Street prices around $33k or so.

Front and rear wipers are intermittent.

Yes, rear seats have climate controls on the 7 seat models we saw, one of my photos even shows the switches.

Rear audio - yes if you get the DVD, the headphones play independently from the radio. So play a DVD or CD for the kids while you listen to adult music up front. Brilliant.

Rear windows go almost all the way down, again a photo shows that. I think the glass sticks up just an inch or so. The view is panoramic.

Cupholders - yes, each door has a bottle holder. In reality the front has room for 2 round cups plus 2 juice boxes, so you potentially have up to 12 cup holders.

Nav would include a compass. Probably no without Nav.

Bob's got the rest down pat.

-juice
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    If I remember correctly, the magazine is called "Drive". It is at home and not with me. You get it as an owner, but I would have to think you could get a copy from a dealer. The pictures are a little bit shadowy, as if they were not really doing a full unveiling, but you could get a good overall feel for what it looks like. The Car & Driver pictures are I believe the February edition, near the front where they show new models. They were posted in this thread a week or two back, which probably means about 1,000 posts back!
  • Options
    Thanks again - sorry for any repitition but I was using the Comp excercise in edmunds and working from a checklist. So it was a bit overwhelming to check the photos/text to input info to the spreadsheet & pretend to work too so -

Bummer on the rear audio - we do not have DVD in Disco now but do have rear audio controls and what a life saver!
  • Options
    I'm not sure, actually. I don't know where they would go. Models with the DVD have the aux input, but I'd have to see a model without DVD to see what goes in its place?

-juice
  • Options
    opencarsopencars Member Posts: 7
    Is the passenger seat 8Way or 4Way power?

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    Not sure. It is power, however, at least on the versions we saw on display, which were loaded models.

Bob
  • Options
    Rear wiper offers both constant and intermittant settings. I would not be surprised if they have the feature from the Legacy/Outback 5EAT models where it goes to constant (from int) when you put it in reverse.

You can get a auto-dim mirror with compass.

7 seaters have (limited) rear HVAC controls. Not sure about 5 seaters as we have not seen one yet.

Rear audio controls on 7 seater with DVD, including input jacks in the back for games, iPod, etc...

Rear windows go very far down (made possible by the door shape).

Yes on the external temp gauge.

The 5 seater will have a base stereo and offer an upgraded 9 speaker stereo with the Ltd package. I believe the 7 seater comes with the upgraded stereo standard.

Antenna is in the rear glass.

Craig
  • Options
    Passenger seat is 4-way, driver's seat is 8-way.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Jeez, don't check this forum for a couple of weeks and it explodes outta control.

I believe 1,100 of the posts are juice's price comparisons. ;-p Hey juice, can you go and label all of your pics on imagestation now so we can have everything in one place? :-D

-Dennis
  • Options
    jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    Yes, the Tribeca S/N here has fallen through the floor lately.

Why don't we all try to restrict our posts here to information/opinion about the B9 Tribeca and presume that those who wish to compare the Tribeca to another vehicle or see pictures of another vehicle are capable of using Edumunds' New Vehicle tools?

I, for instance, am wondering why no 5-seater Tribecas have been displayed yet. I would expect that version to have a cargo area cover, which doesn't seem to be present on the seven-seater version. I'd also expect there'd be no reason for 8 inches of second row seat fore/aft adjustment. And I wonder how Subaru has arranged the space behind the second row and whether it can be made level with the second row when its seats are "stowed."
  • Options
    I bet they have limited resources building pilot vehicles and therefore they are focusing on loaded 7 seaters with DVD and Nav. I don't know how many they have built, but there were at least 5-6 on display at auto shows last week, if not more.

Several other vehicles (like the CRV) have rear seat travel adjustment in a five seater. It's actually a good idea in my opinion -- you can choose to have more legroom or more cargo room depending on your needs at the moment. In my OB XT, it's a shame to be carrying rear seat passengers and subjecting them to tight legroom when there's a huge empty cargo area behind them. In a case like that, I would welcome the ability to free up more space for the passengers.

I would guess they do the same deal with the 5-seater's second row integration into the cargo area as they do on the 05 Legacy/Outback wagon -- the cargo floor is elevated so that it's level with the tumbled seatbacks (and no need to flip the seat bottom forward like on the previous generation). To accomodate the gap between the seat and the cargo floor left by fore/aft seat travel, they normally just attach plates to the seat bases, which slide along the floor to cover up any gaps.

Craig
  • Options
    Great idea! A big help!
  • Options
    To Host:

Any time frame for adding in the '06 models for the Comparison feature?
  • Options
    "Rear wiper offers both constant and intermittant settings. I would not be surprised if they have the feature from the Legacy/Outback 5EAT models where it goes to constant (from int) when you put it in reverse. "

Very neat feature - have that now and have gotten use to it being there. Not "needed" but it is nice!
  • Options
    Jon, yes, the 5-passenger model will have a small covered under the floor trunk (with a cover) in place of the 3rd-row seat.

As to the 8" of seat travel, it is indeed needed, and it adds much greater flexibility in terms of accommodating various sized passengers. Both juice and I have sat in the rear of a new 7-passenger Pathfinder, which doesn't have any middle seat travel, and as a result, the rear seating is brutal.

Bob
  • Options
    I see that the person at SIA only posted a couple of times, then was sent to the dungeon. ;-) He could probably shed light on lack of 5 passenger info.

Probably to do with the 5+2 being the flagship.

Maybe New York and/or Philly will have both models!

-Dennis
  • Options
    More than likely is that the 5 seater will represent less than 10% of the sales. In essence, it'll be a price leader. What sells is 7 seaters.
  • Options
  • Options
    LOL Dennis!

Hey, the thread is still going strong, even after my pricing exercise. :-)

We asked about the 5 seater, and the Product Planning guy said they'd probably have some sort of under-floor storage in the space the 3rd row normally occupies.

I'll be curious to see it.

The sliding 2nd row will probably remain, is my guess. There are trade-offs - I use infant and child seats, and once they are in place, you can't really move the seat forward. The seat belts will hold the seat in place.

So to slide the seats, you need to remove the seat belt, then reinstall the seat again after you put the seat back in place.

Kind of a nuisance. I think I'd pick a setting that I liked, and then I'd stick to it all the time.

-juice
  • Options
    Gosh, I just re-read that, it sounds horribly confusing.

Pardon me.

What I mean is the child safety seat, once set in place and tight with the seat belt and/or LATCH and ISOFIX anchors, will not allow the 2nd row to move forward.

Move it back and that would make the seat belt loose.

So child safety seats force you to pick one position and stick to it.

I hope that's more clear. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    I understood it the first time.. now you confused me on the second one... lol - j/k
  • Options
    jon_in_ctjon_in_ct Member Posts: 137
    I imagine the sub-floor storage volume in the Tribeca five seater is much greater than that of a new Outback, give its greater width, length and MUCH greater depth (no spare tire there). I wonder whether Subaru will implement a fancy secure luggage storage system like the one described in this US patent application from last August:

http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=US2004160076&am- p;am- p;am- p;F=0&QPN=US2004160076

One version, depicted in Figs. 9 and 10, even has the top cover plate removeable and the legs necessary to form a camp table and 2 stools attached to its bottom side. Where have I seen a builtin camp table before?
  • Options
    juice - even using the lower anchors precludes moving the seat?
  • Options
    i'm thinkin crv...and option on xc90 ...
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Craig, thanks for your support. Im going to post the details of my family's Legacy diaster on the 2005 Legacy/Outback thread, since its a bit off topic here. If you have time, please read it, Id appreciate your input, because I really do not know what I should do.

Thanks.

-Joe
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Any time frame for adding in the '06 models for the Comparison feature?

You mean on the main site, where you can compare vehicles, or on the boards? We only deal with the Forums - no control over editorial content.

But I can tell you that there won't likely be a comparison til this vehicle is available for test drive! You can ask the editors using the "help" link near the top.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2112138/

Interesting take, not just on the Tribeca but others, in particular Lincoln-Mercury, Saturn and Acura.

Ed
  • Options
    Probably Rob. I you move the seats back, it'll probably create too much slack. I doubt you could move them forward. Depends on the exact position I guess.

Patent application sure looks interesting. That storage well looks huge, too. Could probably fit a full size spare in there if you wanted to.

-juice