Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    juice - I figured if the lower anchors are used on a LATCH seat that you could move the vehicle seat back and forth since the seat belt isn't used.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    But the latch anchors are fastened to the floor, usually. If the seat moved forward and back relative to the floor, you'd have to release/readjust the anchors every time.

That can be a nuisance. Getting them nice and tight is time consuming.

Once the kids are in booster seats it's no big deal.

The 3rd row is fine, actually, because I envision kids about 3-8 years old climbing back there themselves. At that age they can fasten their own seat belts.

It would be different if the seat belt and/or anchors you use were anchored to the seat itself, and slid forward with the seat. But I don't believe they do.

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    juice - are you sure the lower anchors are attached to the floor? I'm not talking about the thether anchors but the metal loops that are in the seat between the cushions?

If you were to move a seat up 8" as in the Tribeca, you wouldn't be able to reach the anchors with the seat if they were mounted in the floor.
  • Options
    I'm not sure, actually.

Did anyone get a good look at those?

Now that I think about it, the rear anchors were on the middle of the seat back, so those would move with the seats.

Where are the LATCH anchors? Anyone?

On the seat would be more flexible.

-juice
  • Options
    anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    Well looking at the brochure for the Outback I see the covers for them. So then I looked at the B9x book we got yesterday and don't see the same cover....there is a smaller circular cover that may be it but not for sure.
  • Options
    The 2 brochures I have say nothing about LATCH.

I see in pictures the upper tether anchors are indeed on the backs of the seats themselves. The seat belts appear to move with the seat, so hopefully the lower LATCH anchors do also.

Basically I hope I'm wrong about that.

-juice
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Go over to nabisco so you can see some photochop of how nice the B9 looks when you add alittle modification to it ;-)
  • Options
    Photochops here have shown improvements. I like the Black paint with the smoked headlights and the blacked-out grille.

-juice
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    how come this is always aftermarket product & never a luxury package from any car/suv ?

I would love to have one from Tribeca....considering single degree temps in boston
  • Options
    preferbicyclespreferbicycles Member Posts: 33
    There are a number of GM cars that offer a factory remote starter--Malibu Maxx was first, now I think the Terraza and its cousins have them.

And it is pretty cold here around 495 tonight.
  • Options
    subaruqueensubaruqueen Member Posts: 6
    In the OB, the latch anchors are welded to the frame as far as I can tell. You can feel down in there and feel the weld.
  • Options
    poissonpoisson Member Posts: 49
    On our Odyssey, the second row seats have the LATCH anchors and the lower tether mount on the seat itself. These seats slide back and forth ~ 8 inches. With a child seat which uses LATCH, you can leave the child seat attached and it moves with the seat.

On our '05 Outback XT, we have LATCH, but I have not checked into how they are attached. I would suspect that since the seat does not move back and forth, that they are welded to the fram (as mentioned).

Given the movement on the B9 of the middle seats, I bet it is like our Odyssey.
  • Options
    calm after storm in this forum !

Juice, where are you ?

I would like some feedback from VDC OB owners on its snow performance
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The LATCH (actually the rear tether anchor part) in our MPV 2nd row seats is also on the base of the seat, so you just bring that rear strap over the seatback and down. And these seats can also move fore-aft. The 3rd row has one tether anchor on the rear cargo floor.

My '04 F-XT has the rear tether anchors in the roof in all 3 seat positions, same as my '00 Outback.

-Brian
  • Options
    Remote starter might be overkill with heated seats.

poisson: I hope you're right. Otherwise the sliding seat is nearly useless to me, at least until my younger kid is in a booster seat.

I need the weekend off! Just kidding. ;-)

Actually we're in the middle of a snow storm, sorta, got about 6" outside today and I was out in my Subie, of course. Seemed like 40% of the vehicles out were Subarus. No lines at the malls, close-in parking, gotta love it.

-juice
  • Options
    They were pretty brutal on some concepts (Mazda MX Crossport comes to mind), but they kinda liked the B9.

Though the grille remains open to debate, we're pleased to see something so adventurous make it from show car to street

I'm not sure they're right about every Subaru getting this face, maybe only long-term. Plus they say it's based on the WX-01 and I'm not sure if that's true at all.

They do say 40k per year sales are forecast, exactly the number I've been predicting all along.

My crystal ball must work after all. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    While styling was completely different, I looked back out of curiosity and some things turned out remarkably similar:

7 seats

18" rims on both

3.0l H6 engine

Identical wheelbase (!) of 108.2"

Overall length within an inch

Differences? Tribeca got more power, 250 vs. 220, and 5 gears on the automatic vs. 4. And it turned out 1.5" wider.

But wow, maybe it was based on the WX-01 after all. We knew more than we thought all along.

Styling on the Tribeca is about 700 times nicer, if you ask me:

http://www.speedycars.net/wallpaper/subaru_wx-01.html

The WX-01 was a bit obsessive-compulsive with those triangles, so much so that it makes the Tribeca seem conservative.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    that piece we just did is up. :)

Bob
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Someone on another web site mentioned of possibly offering a B9 Telluride model, which would be more Outback/Forester-like

-Brian
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Remote starter might be overkill with heated seats.

After two weeks of -30 to -40, some days where the day-time high was below 30 I would venture to disagree. But, as I have said before many times, basing marketing on my needs would be a really bad idea. Poor baby probably spend more time warming up than driving!

Nicholas
  • Options
    Hmmm...

Bob
  • Options
    rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    I don't like the B9. The grille looks much better on a car than on this SUV (looks more like a minivan). I would prefer to see this grille on the B11s concept, which should have gone into probuction. This relationship between GM and Subaru is really going to mess up Subaru's image.
  • Options
    steve osteve o Member Posts: 8
    hate to say it but i think u are right...must confess i dont work on the B9 line but i do work on the OB line, so i dont know all the "good" info..i am always on the look out..later all
  • Options
    I missed that chat, wasn't Brian the one that suggested it, right here?

I fail to see how GM had any negative influence on the Tribeca at all. It's not a GM platform, engine, tranny, AWD system, ... nothing GM about it at all.

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Hey steve_o, I need a replacement Outback door with factory gold paint. Think you can smuggle one out of the plant for me? ;-)

Actually, I would pay legit money for such a door -- it's too bad you can't get body parts with factory paint.

Craig
  • Options
    rsx-sfanrsx-sfan Member Posts: 15
    I think that it is using a GM platform and I believe it's the same one as the one being used for the next Rendezvous (called the Lambda platform).
  • Options
    The Tribeca is on a Subaru platform. It wasn't designed by GM, it was designed by Subaru. It is true that at first GM and Subaru decided to do this platform together, but not too long on in the development of the Tribeca Subaru decided to go it alone with the engineering. Now that's not to say that GM won't use it on future products, but it was designed first for Subaru, not the other way around.

Bob
  • Options
    are you saying technically, remote starter doesn't work with heated seats ?
  • Options
    I think that it is using a GM platform and I believe it's the same one as the one being used for the next Rendezvous (called the Lambda platform).

Nah, not even close. As Bob mentioned, this is a Subaru platform 100% and not related to Lambda in any way.

Craig
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    absolutely true about the platform. CAR magazine (UK) reports the seating is GM's Flex7 system, though. Which is fine with me, as long as they have nothing to do with the platform/driveline/electrics/dynamics. :)
  • Options
    Krisshna: no, only that with quick-heating seats it becomes less important to warm up the interior quickly.

GM may label it Lamba (or whatever) but it is a platform that Subaru developed that GM will later use for Saab and maybe other divisions.

Just because Saab sells the 9-2x does not mean GM developed the WRX, either.

-juice
  • Options
    This from a local ATL dealer after our test drive of the Outback -

"Rumor has it that the first 9-10 months of Tribeca will see pricing at MSRP

+. For me, management allowing, I will be using www.edmunds.com pricing

structure."
  • Options
    Wishful thinking. The market is way too brutal.

Pilots are heavily discounted. MDXs once enjoyed full list pricing but not any more.

That'll last a week, his competitors will discount and then he'll be forced to do the same to get any sales at all.

-juice
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
  • Options
    that's a salesman ploy to get you to buy the OB now
  • Options
    good point - but he doesn't know me too well. I'd be more likely to buy in the future without that!

(We might even think about both :))
  • Options
    Some times I think salesman just have no idea how to make a sale. It seems like a model is so in demand that they have markups, or they are desperate and ask the ol' "what can I do to put you in a car today?". One extreme or the other.

Either of those strategies would scare me off immediately, there's just no way I'd buy a car under either circumstance.

Fitzmall.com and Van Bortel are both no-haggle east coast dealers. It'll be interesting to see where they set prices initially.

The same dealer has a Toyota store (back-to-back with Subaru, ain't that funny?) and right now they have Highlanders at $1000 below invoice, probably due to a rebate.

Brown's Honda is selling Pilots at roughly 10% off MSRP, i.e. near invoice.

If I were a betting man I'd set the initial Tribeca pricing at about $700 over invoice. Within 6 months it'll be about at invoice.

-juice
  • Options
    We'll see how the pricing goes, but there is no way to predict it now.

So what did you think after test driving the Outback?

Craig
  • Options
    There are lots of ways to predict it.

They just might not be accurate. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    captklosscaptkloss Member Posts: 3
    I'm not even asking about auto-dimming side-mirrors...

hey...Sub's website specs lists 10 cupholders, but nothing about REALLY (at least for me) important features, like, yes, auto-dimming mirror...what about compas?
  • Options
    Re: Outback Drive - only hubby got to go - he ran away during lunch one day and went for a ride. He was impressed...really liked the car and had fun. After that, he will now consider a brand he hasn't even given a second thought to before. The salesman during the drive was great - the one with all the "pricing info" was from an online inquiry.

BTW, a guy I work with has a Forrester and also had a lot of good things to say. He wasn't too sure about the Tribeca yet. Warned of first year model, etc. A lot of "we'll see" but he loves his car.

The only thing that kind of gets me now is the distance to the dealership if/when work needs to be done -

I will ad - the salesman also owns a Subaru - that might be the norm but in my job I work with a Chevy dealer where the OWNER drives an Expedition. It speaks a lot to own the product you sell.....
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Subaru has an optional (for every model) auto-dimming mirror/compass, so if it's not a standard feature on the Tribeca, it should easily mount up. Both my Outback and WRX have had this feature, so I'd be surprised to NOT see it on the top-of-the-line Tribeca.

Brian
  • Options
    The H6 engine has been around since 2001 I think, and it's been very robust, as has the tranny it hooks up to. We haven't seen any gasket issues, so it might just be Subaru's most reliable engine.

I'm sure the Tribeca will have the mirror/compass optional, if not standard, at least on higher-end models.

-juice
  • Options
    saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Amazing you are mentioning Toyata's here because the Loaded XLE Sienna and the 7 seat B9 are probably what we will be chosing between in a few months. Having bought 5 subaru's in a row have gotten disgusted with the lack of improvements in S's.

Hoping for good things, Steve.
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    That's entirely dependent on supply and demand. If for the first few months demand far outstrips supply (like it did for the MDX, 6+ months of waiting), then yeah it will sell at MSRP.

But if there is enough supply to meet the demand, then competition will force dealers to lower their prices.

Sly
  • Options
    http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7968

“Tribeca” was added because the neighborhood in New York (Triangle Below Canal St.) is known to be especially savvy and urban-chic, and Subaru wants to reach out to new urban near-luxury buyers with this vehicle who would have otherwise dismissed the brand as rugged or sporty.

I hope they're right.

An Outback version of the Tribeca is not certain, though it wasn’t ruled out.

Can you say: "B9 Telluride?"

Bob
  • Options
    Telluride is fine, I just hope it's more than two-tone paint and fender flares.

Supply for the Tribeca should ramp up quickly, the pre-production models were already well assembled. Plus, Isuzu got booted out of SIA so they have the capacity.

-juice
  • Options
    Telluride is fine, I just hope it's more than two-tone paint and fender flares.

Absolutely! You know what I want to see on this model, if it should ever appear. ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Give it taller (60 series) tires, low range or a 6th gear ratio, beefed up brakes, oil coolers, standard roof rack and cross bars, and the extra payload and tow ratings that go with it.

-juice
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Ok... you guys are killing me...

Explain to me the logic of having an Outback version of the B9. Isn't the existance of the B9 to have the ruggedness of the Outback plus with more space and cargo? The only thing I see 'added' is body cladding, which is a no-no for this vehicle. B9 has the ground clearance.

Only thing I can think of is kinda like a 'camp-ready' utility accessory for the B9. Which I don't think will sell much.

If they should add bigger brakes, a 6 speed and other goodies, than they should just call it B9XS Tribeca (S=Special Edition).