Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    They had New Jersey plates.... very odd indeed.

Not at all odd, as SOA's headquarters is in Cherry Hill, NJ, just outside of Philly.

Bob
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    the nose on the benign looks much shorter than i recalled. looks very nice outta the glare of auto show lites.

now if they just get that turbo xt model maybe i can stop sliding around in my odyssey. hmm they have jerzee plates already, must have my name on them already
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    c'mon .. give bob a break ... he's so much more than a 'helmet head' ...
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    thanks for the quick-thinking real-life pics ...
    and I'm only a couple hours away and still haven't 'seen' one other than pics ..
  • Options
    chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    The Tribeca's grille looks a lot better in RL than in pictures, especially with the HID lights on the ones I saw. I really didn't like the back end very much. It looks like a Mitsu Endeavor from behind.

Thank my sister.... I'm terrible with digital cams (and I was driving :)
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    especially with the HID lights on the ones I saw.

They are actually projector beam lights, not HIDs.

DaveM
  • Options
    katwaykatway Member Posts: 19
    I spotted the Tribeca this weekend @ the DC Home and Garden Show and the front end looked really nice. It is pleasantly different than the pictures and many observers thought Subaru did a great job with it.

However, I was somewhat surprised with the rear end of the vehicle, it did have a little Mitsubishi look to it that kind of cheapened the image of the car.

Nevertheless, the interior was nicely laid out and felt very roomy.

The third row seats would be a challenge to access for anyone but small children. But, they did appear roomier than most third row seats I have seen in the past.

All in all, the Tribeca seemed to be a hit with the crowd. Of course, the price estimate at the show of $30K was far to low to be realistic. I suspect the majority of the crowd thought that would be a great deal, but may have certainly hesitated if the Tribeca approached $40K.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I think there will be a wide range of prices.

Not as wide as Highlander ($24-40k), but still, probably $32-38k.

-juice
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Received the invite to the Tribeca party last night. Anyone here going to the show this year?

Mark
  • Options
    Bob's supposed to go on Saturday.

There is a topic here on Edmunds, Members Meet Up, check that out.

-juice
  • Options
    bhanna261bhanna261 Member Posts: 11
    I live in Tribeca and have since 1980. It's a neighborhood, not a town. There are some nice restaurants and bars. Just walk the streets and you'll find them. Tribeca is bounded by Canal Street to the north, Broadway to the east, the Hudson River to the west and about Chambers Street to the south.

Has anyone here ever said what "Tribeca" means? Many neighborhoods in NY are given names that tie to their local geography. "Tribeca" means TRIangle BElow CAnal (Street). "Soho" means "SOuth of HOuston (Street). "Dumbo" means Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass. "Nolita" means NOrth of Little ITAly. Etc.
  • Options
    I knew about Tribeca but not the others, thanks for sharing that interesting tid bit. I'm sure it'll come in handy year from now in a trivia game. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    They're trying some of those in Boston as well:

Sowa - South of Washington, a neighborhood nobody would've walked in at night 10 years ago.

Ladder District - named after the fact the streets are on a grid. Probably the only grid in the entire city. It also sounds better than "the run down neighborhood between Downtown Crossing (shopping) and Chinatown that used to be called the Combat Zone (former adult entertainment district)". Renamed once the Ritz broke ground in that area.

Back on topic: those 18" rims on the Tribeca would never survive the roads in both Sowa and the Ladder District.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Does Boston still have the "war zone" ?

Craig
  • Options
  • Options
    Does Boston still have the "war zone"?

Do you mean the Combat Zone? If so, that's pretty much gone. No need for a seedy place in the city for adult entertainment - they've built emporiums in the suburbs for that kind of stuff.
  • Options
    junior5junior5 Member Posts: 15
    Saw today on CBS morning show (East Coast) a video clip of a silver tribeca from the New York Auto show (right after they showed a 5 series BMW). The live video clip pretty much shows how the grill would show in real life and it did not really stand out when the whole vehicle is taken into account. I have a 2004 forester and am looking to add a slick handling 7 seater. If this vehicle handles as well as it looks inside and out then I'm ready to throw away any more dreams of owning an X5 come this summer!
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Stopped by my friendly Seattle-area Subaru dealer for an oil change today and noticed an acrylic stand holding a small flier with a photo of the B9 Tribeca. If you fill out a simple contact info form, they'll invite you to a Tribeca preview event. Hurrah! Finally a chance to view it in person! Seattle Auto Show's not 'til late summer or early fall and Tribeca'll be on the streets well before then anyway.
    For any Puget Sounders reading this post and wishing to attend the preview, go to Carter Subaru at 17225 Aurora Ave N in Shoreline (1 exit south of the King-Snohomish line) and fill out the form. Not sure if any other area dealers are doing this yet, but I doubt it.
    Oh... maybe by "war zone", Craig was referring to the Big Dig.
  • Options
    Junior5 - from what I've heard Subaru's designed B9 Tribeca to outhandle X5... wide stance, wide tires, lower center of gravity than X5 despite the Subie having more ground clearance.
    Plus you've got to factor Subaru's top reliability vs. BMW's downward trend in that area. Who wants to have problems with a $30-40k vehicle? Somehow BMW's badge prestige seems diminished when you see one sitting on the side of the freeway.
  • Options
    Have you priced an X5? Try $40-60k. :-)

Saw it again in NY, no time to see the town of Tribeca, though.

06 Forester got plenty of attention, in fact Rich Ceppos was in line behind me to talk to Mike Whelan about it.

Tribeca was getting a lot of attention, they positioned wisely so people were crawling all over it. They had 2 on the floor and they were wide open.

-juice
  • Options
    chrwillchrwill Member Posts: 6
    I went to the Subaru dealership yesterday and I was disappointed to the fact that the only way you can get navi,dvd player or the rear air conditioner system is in the 7 passenger model. The dealership stated that they are looking for buyers that are out-growing there current Subaru’s and may need more room. So if there is any one that was looking an alternate to Pilot or Highlander or Murano for that matter. Please make a note that you cannot get jack crap in the five passenger seat models other then leather and a sunroof.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I dont really see why people are so enraged that DVD, NAV, or Rear A/C are unavailable on the 5 passenger model. Is there really an issue with getting the 7 passenger model, not using the third seat for the majority of the time, but having the convenience of the added versatility should it ever be needed? Whats the downside to this? And is Rear A/C really necessary with only two rows of people to climate control?

IMO, the situation would be much worse if the DVD/NAV were offered only on the 5 passenger model, for example.

I personally think SoA made a good call in not offering a 5 pass with as many variations- keeps variability between vehicles lower than otherwise and SHOULD theoretically keep quality easier to control (where production is more uniform than less).

Joe
  • Options
    This posted today over at cars101.com:
    Pre-orders through April get FREE portable XM radio or $500 LL Bean gift certificate or Trailer hitch and trans cooler.

I'm with Joe on the 5-pass thing. All you're losing by going with the 7-pass is a small storage compartment. Since you're looking at models w/DVD, Nav & Rear A/C, the price difference between a 5 and 7 w/those options probably would be negligible. Just keep that third row folded down into the floor!

I bet you'd more than make up the initial price difference between 5 & 7-pass when you trade-in or re-sell Tribeca. May take longer to re-sell a 5-pass.
  • Options
    I bet you'd more than make up the initial price difference between 5 & 7-pass when you trade-in or re-sell Tribeca. May take longer to re-sell a 5-pass.

Good points!

Bob
  • Options
    do not see why 5 pass can not get these goodies
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    .. in NY yesterday. Subaru had a DJ and snacks / drinks at a sky-lounge near the auto show. They also had two Tribecas parked downstairs for us to climb around in. The outside of the car looks better than in pictures - mainly due to the fact that the nose does not protrude from the grille as it seems in the photos - it is actually flush with it.
    The interior was disappointing, not as nice as it looks in the pictures, and also felt gimmick-y. It looked like it belonged in a hip-hop Scion, not in an "upscale" Subaru. Also, the leather seats are rock hard - bring a pillow.
  • Options
    ...Today we went to test drive a Legacy Wagon. In the dealership they had a blue Tribeca 7 seater NAV/DVD.

The nose was not as pronounced in person as they were in the pictures. I hope you all can understand me because it's really hard to speak when you're eating crow. It was downright - gulp - attractive. See - I'm willing to admit I'm wrong! :)

My wife wasn't enamored with the bulging headlights nor the deck of the Enterprise dashboard. They weren't as bad as I thought. The third row really is for kids only but I expected that.

The salesperson confirmed about $38K as equipped. No test drives was his response to my query. He was also suprised at how much better it looked in person.
  • Options
    I'm not enraged. LOL.... But I don't see the reason why I should pay $2000 more for seats I am not going to use. Although you are correct in your statment of the seats will be folded 90% percent of the time.

BTW I went to the dealership again today, because they had one to drive. And looking at the third row seating. Their is no way any size kid will be sitting back there for long.

Christian
  • Options
    cpp788xcpp788x Member Posts: 47
    I saw the car for the first time today in NY. The ladies at the Subaru counter let me go behind the ropes to sit in the car.

Overall the car is sharp, but I have some issues with the Dash. The instrument pod is hard plastic - looks like they're going after the Murano, and RX. Also, the Center AC vent blows upward - a good thing for circulation - but there might be temptation to use it as a shelf - a bad thing if stuff falls in.

If your thinking of a 5 passenger Tribeca.....You'd probably get a better deal on an Outback VDC or LL Bean. I predict the 5 passenger Tribeca won't make it to 2007!

Go for the third seat.

I was asked to be part of a survey today at the show. The goal of the survey, I was told, was to help determine the selling price. The packages and trim levels are set in stone.

Chas
  • Options
    How do you know its $2000 more for a 5 pass vs. a comparably equipped 7 passenger version? About the size of the third row seats- no, its not a Suburban, but there is enough room there for two smaller children, and that added versatility is the name of the game. I think juice (?) pointed out that it might be easiest to think of this vehicle (along with most in the class) as 5+2 seaters.
    --------------------------------------------
    I attended the Skylofts mini-event in conjunction with the NYC Auto Show today. Very interesting, I wish I had the chance to go Friday night (which I originally had intended to do). Spent a good deal of time in the two Tribecas (one in Seacrest, the other in Mahogany Red, IIRC, I spent all my time in the Seacrest model) that were in the garage below- identically equipped 7 passenger NAV/DVD models. Still not a fan of the front end, but absolutely LOVE the interior of this vehicle. Stlyish without being absurd (think: Nissan Quest), high quality materials, easy to find a good driving position via the power seat and fully adjustable steering wheel, great center stack with intuitive radio and climate controls.

Question- I wonder why this rig isnt offered in the Legacy's excellent Regal Blue color? Personally, I think the controversial styling is de-emphasized by the darker colors, and the Regal Blue would be very elegant.

Can't wait to test drive this at during our next Legacy servicing!

~alpha
  • Options
    The saleman informed to me that there are four levels to the tribeca.
    5 pass w/cloth
    5 pass w/leather
    7 pass w/cloth
    7 pass w/leather w/optional dvd an dvd navi.

The salesman also stated that there is a $2000 difference between the two trim levels meaning 5 vs 7 passenger tribeca. I will be going up to the NYC auto show also this week to look at the tribeca. But you made a valid point when you stated that I should think of this car as a 5+2 seater.
  • Options
    "The salesman also stated that there is a $2000 difference between the two trim levels meaning 5 vs 7 passenger tribeca."

Seems pretty vauge, how do you know he was talking about 5 pass cloth vs. 7 pass cloth models?

Joe
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I sat in the Tribeca yesterday at the Skyloft... and since the steering wheel did not telescope (unless I'm wrong), it's not fully adjustable. Also the pedals do not adjust.
    As in all Subarus, the passenger side firewall is too close, not allowing passengers to stretch their legs.
    The Murano is AWD, and you can stretch your legs out...and it's not any bigger than the Tribeca.

At least rear passengers could put their feet under the front seats and the front map lights came on when opening the door! Anyone buying this car because it's "7 passenger" should be laughed at. For anyone to sit back there would have to be an emergency.

People are so hung up on "7 passenger" that they expect it in every vehicle. People are rediculous. If you want a 7 passenger vehicle, get a minivan or a full sized truck.
    It's a nice car, but, Subaru really needs to do more homework before considering themselves premium.
  • Options
    Ahh.. Good question. I will be returning to the dealership tomorrow to ask him that same question... But I still want my 5 pass tribeca to have the same options as the 7 (but I can want all day long..lol). But give it a year maybe two... I bet that subaru will be adding it as a option to the five 5 seat leather model. Because I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

Thanks for your input and opinon.

Christian
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Went to the Tribeca event yesterday at the NY show as well. I was impressed with the look and feel of the car. As for the 7th seat, even the Suabru rep said it's not really intended for adults. The nice thing about the 2nd row of seats is they recline backwards. Of course that means the 3rd row will be folded down, but what the heck. I thought the front was nicely done - what I noticed most in the fron were the way the headlights stuck out.

One other thing- the reps were stating the top price for a fully loaded 7 passenger will be $38500. They didn't really mention where it starts- seems they are trying to promote the fully loaded model.

Mark
  • Options
    grdh20grdh20 Member Posts: 46
    Hard Seats? That may kill it for me right there. Why do they think we want to sit in hard seats?

Anyone else sat in one have a comment?
  • Options
    I found the seats to be very comfortable.

Bob
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Well, I haven't sat in the Tribeca to give opinions of the seats, but some of us do prefer firm seats in any vehicle. Can't stand mushy seats in a car. Once got "upgraded" to a Crown Victoria and I hated the soft front seat. For long distance driving I much preferred the firm seats in our Sienna to the soft Suburban seat which replaced it.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I liked them when I sat in the Tribeca. Felt like the seats in my OB XT, which are really nice.

CRaig
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    about as hard as a Merc or BMW from the few minutes my back end was in one during my extended time trying out the 2nd and 3rd row multiple times.
    of all the 3 row crossover/medium suvs etc I sat in at the chicago show, the most comfortable was the Freestyle then MDX/Pilot, the least the SRX (I swear Caddy designed this for people with bilateral leg amputations or Martians, there is no footwell, just a thin seat above the floor so your knees are at chin level but there's tons of "legroom") and Highlander (dunno what it was but it just wasn't "right") with the Tribeca in between, comfortable position but limited leg space compared to the Freestyle/MDX/Pilot. Pacifica was nice but its only a 6 seat.
  • Options
    tribecatribeca Member Posts: 3
    From NASIOC...

MSRP's are as follows:

* Base 5-passenger (cloth interior) - $30,695
    * 5-passenger w/ leather - $32,295
    * Base 7-passenger - $32,395
    * 7-passenger w/ leather - $33,895
    * For the DVD, add $1,800.
    * For the Navigation add $2,000.
    * DVD is available on all 7-passenger models.
    * Navigation is only available on 7-passenger models with leather
    interior.
    * D&D is $625.
  • Options
    grdh20grdh20 Member Posts: 46
    Hmmm, prices are a tad lower than I thought they would come in at, although I would have gladly paid a bit more to get real aluminum etc, but they should do pretty well at this price point.
  • Options
    what no invoice pricing? lol
  • Options
    * 5-passenger w/ leather - $32,295

Will the Outback VDC bite the dust in '06?

MSRP for an '05 Outback VDC is $33,495; $1200 higher than Tribeca!

IIRC, there's nothing on the OB VDC that's not on the Tribeca w/ Leather.

DaveM
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    ...this makes invoice even more appealing. My order goes in on Saturday for the Mahogoney Red fully loaded.
  • Options
    Congrats Elm! Keep us posted, as I'm sure you will. :)

Bob
  • Options
    * Base 5-passenger (cloth interior) - $30,695

VIP price (invoice) will probably be in the $28,500 to $29,000 range w/ D&D (disclaimer: SWAG).

I may consider a base Tribeca if they don't add the 5EAT w/ VTD to the base Outback for MY06.

DaveM
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    Thanks Bob. You know I will ;-)
  • Options
    did they have the trifecta on the regular floor display also or was it only at the 'event'?
  • Options
    your order of what? 5/7 leather etc?