Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Wow...lots of posts since 1/17/05....and no time to go through them. Took advantage of Subie's free lunch & car show tickets Sunday at the "Skyloft". Nice touch - excellent food, free camera, free tickets and free keyring light/compass....and a sit in the Tribeca.

Nice looking car - nice design, very nice leather...but much much smaller than I thought it was going to be. Something was strange. I sat in the front driver's seat - adjusted the seat (I'm 5'10''). Then got in the back. Adjusted it - needed to put my feet under the driver's seat, but they were comfortable - nice design. Then got out and looked at the rear setup. The seat cushion for the 3rd row seat was pressed against the back of the 2nd row seat? So where do your feet go??

The 40% 2nd row seat behind the front passenger seat was moved forward so there was enough room for a tibia/fibia to squeeze in. Why even bother with the 3rd row? Didn't make sense.

Anyway, pretty small cargo. Seems close to the Outback in usable dimensions (who piles stuff up to the ceiling) - maybe smaller, not as long a bed? My LLBean seems like a long slender bullet after seeing the Tribeca.

Anyway, left feeling good we bought the base MDX for $33K back in Sept. No need for dvd or nav since we hate TV and can read maps. The MDX and Tribeca are not a comparison. Maybe the Murano, but not the MDX.

Cutaway Tribeca at the show was cool. Did I mention the leather was really nice? :-)

Ralph
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Now I wish we didn't buy that beach condo.

Just kidding. I think. LOL

-juice
  • Options
    Ralph - the 2nd row has 3 positions, you saw it all the way back. You can move it forward 4" or 8". Even in the middle position my 5 year old was comfy back there. It's for kids - so to me it makes sense.

MDX is bigger, mostly wider, but also weighs a bunch more. I like it but I also want something that doesn't drive as "big". We'll see if Subaru can manage that.

Bob and I actually measured the cargo floor with the 3rd row down and it's within an inch or so of the new Outback, but the cargo area is taller.

You got a free camera? Tell me more...

-juice
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    ... I got that with the B9 on the face of the camera. I want to know how you got the keyring with light/compass... I didn't get one.. that just ain't right (and I only have Subaru - I'm loyal, unlike others buying MDX's and so forth ;-) )
  • Options
    grdh20grdh20 Member Posts: 46
    Anywhere else other than Mass. have a demo in their showrooms yet? Will most dealers have samples before May??
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Elm- good luck with the Tribeca. Sounds very nice.

As for the key ring - they had them when you first checked in at the Tribeca event at the Skyloft. Only bad thing is my light does not work(-:. Oh, and it has a whistle too.

Mark

PS - sorry we didn't hook up Friday - turned out to be a crazy day.
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    I checked in the Skyloft and wasn't given one, though I also didn't see it on the table. Maybe they handed those out later in the day... oh well.

I think my first Tribeca mod will be the wheels... after seeing the photochop over at nabisco, it definitely has a different/better stance.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Either I found a new tidbit at cars101.com or I missed it the first time. Hope it's right. This info conflicts w/earlier info that showed the Premium Sound Pkg as an option on leather models. 5-pass cloth comes w/100-watt, single-disc CD player to hold cost down I assume. All 7-pass cloth come w/160-watt, 6-disc changer & 6 speakers. All models w/leather (incl. 5-pass) come w/160-watt, 6-disc changer, MP3 capability & 9 speakers (incl. subwoofer). I would be surprised if the MP3 capability is also not on the cloth 7-pass w/6-disc. That's gotta be the same stereo.

juice: a new V6 Durango would have to cost $38k to be double the price of a Forester X. Even a V8 4WD Durango Limited is under $38k MSRP. Not that I'm defending Durango (blech!) or its lousy depreciation, just defending math. :)
  • Options
    urmezurmez Member Posts: 20
    Suburban Subaru in Vernon, Connecticut is going to have a Tribeca in it's show room this Sunday.
  • Options
    otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Hi Juice! Yeah, I know you can move it, but there ain't much room to move. Subie is just doing what the others are doing so they can call it a 7 seater. No big deal. My wife wants the Tribeca after seeing it. I told her she can get one when the LLBean turns 10 (2011) :-o The leather was VERY nice, as is the design. Funny how everyone jumped on the grill back when the spy photos arrived. I didn't even look at it = none issue. I guess the prices are out. I'll have to check them out...been out of this loop for a couple months with work.

Key chains were given out in the beginning - first 20 minutes. We got there at noon because we had to do the car show and get to the Garden by 2:50 for the circus (free Garden Skybox tickets - but the circus sucked) I took 1 whistle/light/compass gizmo, wife took 1, daughter took 1. Sorry....there was only one box. Mine didn't work at first but it finally came on later in the day. Haven't looked at it since.

So...Sunday was a totally free day - free lunch, free car show tickets, free circus tickets... Doesn't get any better than that in a costly town like NY!!! ;-)

Has anyone driven the Tribeca, yet? They should give you one to test drive for the weekend, Juice!! Or have they? Is Patty still around?

BTW, 33K on the LLBean's Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Probably push them to 36K. Not bad, but on the fence if I'll buy them again. Bean has 72K flawless miles and countin'...

Ralph
  • Options
    my light does not work

Oh no, they must have outsourced production to GM. :P

Jeff: yeah, and to be fair, a V6 Durango was about $28 grand back in 1998. Still, my Forester cost about $9 grand less and is worth $500 more today.

I'd kill to drive one, no invite yet but I check my email regularly. :D

-juice
  • Options
    So $35695 for a 7 Pass w/rear DVD system - A lot better than the $40k that was being passed around a couple of months ago. At that px it pays to go for the 7 over the 5 seater - better resale down the road. It just might be worth comparing the Tribeca with the OB wagon.

Mark
  • Options
    Solid, great news. So loaded up it's $6 grand less than an MDX.

Indeed, the 5 passenger Limited will cost $1150 less than the Outback VDC, once you add freight charges.

17k the first year will be easy with those prices. Anyone want to bet against that? ;)

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Plus $625 for destination for $$36,320.

Add $2K for NAV and you are at $38,320.

They backed off the $40K mark more than I expected.
  • Options
    sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    i think this is well done. DVD, NAV options can be chosen alone or together.

A fully loaded at 38k can be bought at 36k by end of December, which is a GREAT DEAL ! that's a good 7-8k cheaper than MDX, RX, X5
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Fully loaded, $38,320. Not bad at all!!

Joe
  • Options
    That's how Acura did it, you can get Nav, DVD, or both. You can't get both in a Pilot.

-juice
  • Options
    For me it would be the $36320 w/destination since I already have my Garmin Streetpilot. Now to drive it and do a comparison versus the OB XT LTD. Price wise, the OB stickers around $33600 loaded. Is it worth the extra $2700? What would be the advantage of the Tribeca over the OB? :confuse:

Mark
  • Options
    why pricing is broken by interior color when there is no difference in price ? i can't tell.
  • Options
    Panasonic 9 inch at Circuit city with free installation is $800. saving of $1000 right there. Will have to get the NAV though.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-Overhead-Mobile-Video-System-CY-VHD9500U-/sem/rps- m/oid/108558/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I'd kill to drive one, no invite yet but I check my email regularly.

What?? Not happy with your recently aquired Freestyle? :confuse: :D

DaveM
  • Options
    Pros: +2 small passengers, wider, 40/20/40 seat is more versatile, nicer interior, higher vantage point.

Con: more weight and bulk, $2700 extra, probably slightly slower

Hmm, get a 7 Ltd and then aftermarket for the rest? There's something nice about a built-in DVD with a warranty, though.

-juice
  • Options
    frogfrog Member Posts: 52
    Not having seen it in person, I would have to say the Tribeca will be more luxurious and roomy than the Legacy lineup. I think it will be more flexible and better for long trips with a family of four because kids can be separated. Also counting on more legroom. The drawback will be a slightly less sporty ride, but hopefully still fun and responsive with all the suspension tricks subaru seems to have up their collective sleeves......
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I don't recall seeing a weight for the B9, though I might just have missed that post.

-Brian
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A bit over 4200, depending on content.

Bob
  • Options
    It's heavier than the Outback, but light for its class.

Subaru's official 0-60 estimate is 8.0 but they're always conservative. So it won't win any drag races but it's plenty more than adequate. And don't be surprised if the H6 turns out to be more efficient than the 2.5T in the OB XT.

-juice
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    outside dimensions, inside measurements?
  • Options
    Full specs haven't been released yet, only preliminary specs.

Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    Found this looking for swampy's prelim. specs.

April 4 media release.

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/Temp/Sites/1571/Job%20One%20Release%20Final.doc

DaveM
  • Options
    Prelim. specs that swampy was too lazy to look for. :P

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/Temp/Sites/1571/2006Tribeca_Spec.pdf

DaveM
  • Options
    B9 / OBW

Curb weight: 4245 / 3630 :(
    Wheelbase: 108.2 / 105.1 :)
    Length: 189.8 / 188.7 :)
    Width: 73.9 / 69.7 :)
    Height: 66.4 / 61.6 (including roof rails)
    Ground clearance: 8.4 / 8.4
    Towing: 2000 std., 3500 opt. / 3000 :surprise: :mad: :confuse: :( (does that cover it Bob? :D ).

I don't know which version of the B9 the prelim specs are for.

DaveM
  • Options
    ok i give up, the trifecta is only 1 inch longer than outback wagon but it has a 3rd row. hmmm let me guess 3rd row passengers heads are about 2 inches from the glass? the trifecta is tiny.
  • Options
    must be the extra 8 inches of width and 10 inches of height that make the pilot look so much bigger than the obw.

well nix these guys from my short list for odyssey replacement :cry:
  • Options
    jimg6jimg6 Member Posts: 15
    I was at the NY Auto show yesterday and saw the B9 cut in half. (You could"t sit in the two models on the floor) The second row appeared to be moved all the way back, leaving absolutely no leg room for the third row occupants. According to the Subaru rep the second row can slide up 8 inches which should help a bit, but I think the the third row will be similar to the Cadillac SRX which is really only geared for small children. At least adults can fit with relative comfort in the Pilot, MDX, and XC90. Has anyone had the opportunity to sit in the third row yet in the B9?
  • Options
    Yeah, there have been several of us who have sat in the 3rd row seat. I'm 5' 9" and was able to squeeze in there, but not doubt, it's best left for kids or small adults. My daughter, who is 5' 3" could probably fit back there okay.

Anybody who needs to use the 3rd row on a regular basis, really should be looking at a minivan. None of these crossovers, except maybe the Pilot (and even it's tight), do a decent job here. You may also want to look at the Explorer and Durango, as they have longer wheelbases, which should afford more leg room. Maybe the new Pathfinder too, although my memory was that it was very tight back there also.

Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't remember. In fact, I never checked that.

Bob
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    there is more cargo room behind the 3rd row on the Tribeca than the MDX/Pilot/XC90/highlander when I checked them out at the Chicago autoshow. You do get less maximum 3rd row leg room compared to the others (and about equal to the XC90) but for kids and short adults its probably no worse back there than in a Civic sized car (or my WRX) with the front seat all the way back. Its a 5+2 seater rather than a proper 7 seater and as others have said if you really want to seat 7 in any comfort (or carry their luggage) get a proper minivan or full size SUV.

I have almost got my wife to agree to getting a B9, the only hangup now is whether my darling daughters full size cello case will fit with just folding down one of the 3rd row seats! At least the cello case won't get any bigger than what it is. She had the same requirements when I wanted the WRX. Fortunately the cello was smaller then, hehehe!
  • Options
    in gas mileage and/or crash test and/or reliability. seems like GM scores are horrible. after having a ford windstar never wanna go there again. those defect rates on DC are not promising. the nissan armada doesnt look too bad but ahh the mileage numbers are scary. the awd toyota sienna is so far the best all around deal i have seen but sloppy handling kills on these mountain roads.

so i am stuck in no mans land right now. anyone else got ideas more than welcome.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,282
    With respect to gas mileage, I think that by definition, a full-size SUV gets 18 on the highway, tops. I can't imagine that a Sienna handles worse than a Suburban, although I haven't driven the Sienna. Odyssey would be nice, but it sounds like you're looking for AWD.

I'm kind of intrigued by the Tribeca. I loved the Legacy GT Limited (stick shift) I drove, but my next car will have stability control, which is only offered on the pricey Outback VDC model--at least with the Tribeca, you get more hauling capacity (people + cargo) for the price increase. [I wish Subaru would step up to the plate and offer VDC on all their cars in the US. I think they do in Europe.] The Car and Driver review wasn't very comprehensive. I have test driven several cars at different dealerships locally, and the (small) Subaru dealership, by far, seemed to have the greatest customer service.
  • Options
    So they are finally building them, all the ones we've seen so far are pre-production.

swampy: I believe even the Accord is longer than the Pilot. Yep - by a full inch and a half. It's all about the height.

jim: the SRX' 3rd row is one of the smallest in the industry. Tribeca beats that, no doubt.

Pathfinder also has less room and a brutally upright seat back.

For measurements refer back to my photo album, remember I took a tape measure so all the information is there:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2132273475

For swampy, maybe a Sienna with bigger rims? Ody doesn't offer AWD.

-juice
  • Options
    When will they hit dealers?

And who will be the first one here to get one?

Unfortunately it won't be me, as our budget timing is way off. Maybe in a year or two, though.

-juice
  • Options
    i stepped my MPV with snow tires & DVD. So, it will be 2 years from now when i can get a Tribeca. 35-37k car is NO joke.

But it is priced very sensibly. priced just between regulars & lux SUVs. What does Murano have that Tribeca doesn't to have a 40k MSRP ? anyone ?
  • Options
    CVT if you want that. Plus a little more displacement.

But the interior is no comparison, Tribeca is much nicer, plus it has the optional 3rd row.

-juice
  • Options
    I think your Subie bias is showing. ;)

The CVT on the Murano has gotten nothing but praise. A "little more displacement," (as in .5 liter) is exactly what the the Tribeca needs. Interior nicer? Yeah I agree, but I'm sure there are those who would argue that point.

Bob
  • Options
    Nissan's plastics went a bit too low-grade, IMO, with Carlos Ghosn's cost cutting.

You'll recall I identified quality issues with their trucks early on (our test drives), well before they sent hundreds of engineers to rectify those problems. Also note they have upgraded the interior of the Z and the G35 in response to criticism of the cheap interiors. Altima, too.

Murano hasn't received that treatment yet.

It misses my short list because there is no 3rd row.

-juice
  • Options
    saustinsaustin Member Posts: 68
    Hi Bob,
    Am VERY interested to hear what you think about the Seacrest Green color with the grey leather interior. Saw the blue yesterday with the grey leather interior and thought it looked super. Have the beige leather now so my wife would like a change with the grey interior. Hope that the Green is not too dark. Do not want to get a short term fad color as we tend to own our cars forever.
    Also, had a chance to drive it and am incredibly impressed with the cornering, comfort, etc. Did this with a 6yro, 8yro, Wife, salesman in the car.
    Thought the second row was super comfortable as wife took a few turns around the parking lot. Did not hid my head getting in and out, and was very happy to have plenty of room. Son and daughter loved the last row.
    Car's computer said with 321 miles it avg 17.1 mpg.