Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    seem to recall Consumer Reports testing a Fairmont with the 200 6-cyl, which had something like 88 hp, and I think they got 0-60 in about 15 seconds.

We had one of those. 1977 I think. My wife claims she would be passed by trash trucks coming up a long grade to our community.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    My grandparents had a 1981 Ford Granada coupe with the 200 6 cyl. I was only 11 when they bought it, and maybe 15 when they traded it, so I never got to drive it. And Granddad drove pretty leisurely regardless of how much power he had. So, I never got to experience, first-hand, just how bad that car probably was!

Its replacement, a 1985 small LTD with the 3.8 V-6, was a lot quicker, and I spent a lot of time driving that. It seemed decently quick at the time, but I imagine that if I had to revisit it today, I'd hate it.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    62 Impala -- put in $50,000, take out maybe $15K-$17K if the gods are smiling

67 Nova -- I simply cannot believe that someone bid $5,600 for that atrocious rat of a car.

71 C-10 -- refreshingly honest ad actually.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,716
    I like that Nova a lot more than the Impala, seems like a good car once the paint's done. $50k and no trim, but holes?

Pickup's a mess, why bother?
  • Options
    Did you see the rust bubbles on the Nova?
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    The Nova appears to have been on the right track. The engine bay looks pretty nice IMO. The body would need a lot of work. The fitment of the doors is really bad and it appears to have had some bad patchwork done in the past.

It probably easily needs 5K of body work unless you can do all the prep yourself.

RE: Oven Cleaner. What the heck was he thinking? Didn't he ever hear of Goo Gone?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Rust bubbles --Yes, but it seems the price'll take that into account. Body work, for sure. But the undercarriage and trunk interior didn't look too bad (rust-wise).
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,340
    The back of the Nova looks like it had something like Krispy Kritter or something like that on the trunk lid.
    Also, one of the doors looks like someone tried to shoot their way out of the car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    The Fairmont and Zephyr were introduced in the Fall of 1977, but they were 1978 models.
  • Options
    hpmctorque - you're right, thanks for the clarification. That was a 1978 model year Fairmont we had.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,963
    So you had the sister to my Zephyr. :)
    Mine was a 2-door, surprisingly enough. But a total stripper. Not a single damned option in that car, as far as I know. Not even a radio.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    "So you had the sister to my Zephyr. Mine was a 2-door, surprisingly enough. But a total stripper."

So the sister's a stripper... :surprise:
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,808
    She may not have had flair, but she had it where it counts. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    lol

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    She may not have had flair, but she had it where it counts.

Wonder if she had a nice, sturdy rear-end?
  • Options
    Depends... was it a wagon? Wagons are demolition derby favorites, and there's a reason for that! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I was thinking more along the lines of the ratio. Was she short or long? Oh, wait...when they said this was gonna be a drag race, I didn't think they meant THAT! :P
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,340
    I'm starting to think that Nova is related to Christine.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Careful, or the authorities may require that a "Parental Guidance Required" or "Viewer Discretion Suggested" be posted on this topic.
  • Options
    Hahahahahahaha; I was beginning to think the same thing! Nice follow up, though Andre. :shades:
  • Options
    Wonder if I should bring up the Swinger that my grandparents had over to their house from 1975-77?

Don't worry...it was the Dodge Dart variety! :P
  • Options
    Wow. Not sure I have the patience to count all the lies in the chevette ad

• Options
    Yeah, "collectible" OK.......

That style Riviera isn't all that bad. That touchscreen system, was pretty advanced for 1988. Think about it, 25 years later and they are just starting to be commonplace.

The BMW is nice. My lack of knowledge for Euro cars shows. I had to look up what a "Guibo" was. Never heard that term before.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Is that Chevette a "Scooter" model? Super stripper?

edit - I guess not, this one has a rear seat, the 'Scooter' didn't even have that!

"very safe little car ... great for a first car "

Only if you HATE your kid... :sick:
  • Options
    84 Mazda 626 -- yawn...but hey, something to knock around it.

1984 Peugeot diesel: "been known to put 1,000,000 miles on these 4 banger diesels" -- maybe on the back of a flatbed truck?

'55 Stude -- parts car

'64 Stude-- parts car

'88 Riviera -- the price is right!

'61 Cad 4D HT -- a little pricey with that body damage---try $9950, take $8900.

'67 Ford Custom -- might need a price adjustment--has dents, nasty engine bay, could be worth saving with an "econo-resto" by a thrifty buyer.

'72 BMW Bavaria --$11,800 for a Bavaria? Good luck with THAT. Try $5500.

'76 Chevette--really worth about .50 cents, but $1000 would be a good buy--these little crates can actually chug along for quite a while--but $2600 would be the value of a Pebble Beach Chevette :P
  • Options
    "$11,800 for a Bavaria? Good luck with THAT. Try $5500."

That Bavaria begs the question - "Why not spend the same $$ on a newer AND better 5er?"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have tried...SERIOUSLY tried...to listen to others explain the merits of the Bavaria to me, but when I get in one and drive it, all I see is an old frumpy barge of a car that is expensive and difficult to fix. Apparently the market agrees with me on this one.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If I was spending $12k on an expensive to repair BMW hobby sedan, it might be more like this M5.
  • Options
    That car is 10X a Bavaria.
  • Options
    Ikn ow you mean the best Chevette on the planet, but Pebble Beach Chevette seems like an oxymoron.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,185
    Talked to a salesman today I dealt with when I bought my car - he's picking up a project car - 65 Riviera. One family owner, 80K, slightly neglected but apparently its needs are easy. I think he said it is kind of a bronze on saddle, local car, headlights work smoothly - will be interesting to see how it turns out. He said he just wants to make it a driver.

Turn signals on my project car are being quirky again - sometimes work fine, sometimes work weird (irregular blinking time and brightness), sometimes nothing. I think the module is dying. I had to try to rap it with a pliers handle to see if it would help, nope.

Had it on the road a bit today as the modern car was in for an adjustment. Went to Costco, parked in the boonies, when I returned of course a car parked near me, but at least it was behind me:

Stopped by the dealership to get the keys to the modern car before dropping off the fintail - again 50 years difference:

Several people at the dealer came out to look at the old car - such a good 15 footer.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited April 2013
    What's the bobblehead on the dash?

I think the Esso Oil Drop man would make a good mascot for the top of the fintail's dash as it has sort of that vintage European vibe. I recall seeing the image of this character in the background of a lot of old LeMans races.

• Options
    You have a "boonies" at Costco?! Every time I go to one of the stores in Anchorage, the parking lots (which are huge) are packed!!! :cry:
  • Options
    It's the Costco in Kirkland, which has a huge zoo of a parking lot. There are also a few other stores within 10-15 miles, so the customer base is smaller. I always park way out, and laugh at the "trollers" looking for a close spot.
  • Options
    It's a Detroit Red Wings hockey player - something I found soon after I bought the fintail, and had to have it, as I had seen nodders in period cars on TV. It's a conversation piece, and period correct (I think the small series of bobbleheads is from 1962).
  • Options
    Years ago, after my Mom and stepdad first bought their '98 Expedition, they started parking way out in the boonies at parking lots. I used to laugh at them, but not anymore, because after buying my 2012 Ram, I've turned into them! That thing is a real pain to park and maneuver in tight corners, so it's easier to just go and park way out in the empty spots.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    There's a girl at work who bought a new Elantra and she parks it way on on the edge of the parking lot away from everybody like I do when I bring my Cadillac DTS.

Did you ever notice that everytime you buy a new car, park it out in the boonies, and you still have this guy parked next to you no matter what?

• Options
    I recently drove my cousin's new Silverado 2500 4 dr. His has a 3" lift on it as well. It's a monster, and I wasn't parking in between anything with it!

I had a lot of seat time in a Navigator and it didn't seem too bad to park, but nothing like a car (even a land yacht).

• Options
    That's a good use for the boonies, easy to park large vehicles. Sadly, most people who drive those behemoths just park them, without skill, in normal spots.

I am usually one of the first in the parking garage at work, and I choose a specific space - it is long, with a pole on one side. I can get close to the pole and then back up far, so the car is kind of tucked away from door ding risk. In the building where I live, the people who park beside me are relatively competent at parking, and I also have a pole on one side, which I see as protection.
  • Options
    My problem with the Ram is its height. Even though it's only a RWD half-ton truck, it sits up higher than some 4x4's. And with the height, it's hard to judge when parking. The hood really doesn't slope down all that much, so when I'm pulling forward, I can see something disappear under my line of sight in front, yet still have plenty of room before I hit it. Same with looking out the back. The sides of the bed and tailgate are so high that it's hard to lift anything up over the sides, like I could on my old Silverado. The headrests on the seats also make it harder for me to see, when backing up. And, even looking out the side windows, it's hard to judge, because you see less of whatever is beside you than you do with a lower car. I always back into my parking spot at work, so it's easier to get out when I leave, but I usually have to roll down the window and look out, to make sure I'm in the lines okay.
  • Options
    Yes, the height is what gets you. That was my problem driving my cousin's truck. My Grand Marquis sits fairly low and I've never daily driven a big truck so I'm totally not used to it.

I'll still say this; if want overall horrible visibility come drive my 2012 Lacrosse. Backup cam and parking sensors are worth their weight in gold on that car.

• Options
    I looked at this old beast today for someone on a MB forum

Printed price is $2999, I'd offer like $2K. It's very original, straight, complete, seems to run ok, and is a very late production car. But, it is a little weathered, and has a few areas of rust bubbles, especially behind wheelarches and in the front passenger headlight area. Structurally, it is fine. Not a real collectible, but some nut might want it.
  • Options
    Nice looking old beast. Hopefully somebody rescues it and appreciates it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Like my old car, that old diesel photographs better than it really looks. Maybe just needs a good cut and polish. The rust would be the biggest hindrance, even if it is just cosmetic.
  • Options
    That's a really nice photo of your two Benz's. Really highlights the styling changes that have occurred over 50 years.

I actually think your fintail is more distinctive. From a distance, the new MB could be mistaken for any of a dozen similarly styled cars.
  • Options
    Thanks. The stand up grille does it, I think. Back in the day, few cars had that - even in the higher price range, and it stood out. Today, most pretentious lux and near-lux players have it, and stylists are a lot less creative today, too.
  • Options
    hmmm... all the buttons from the bottom of posting a message screen are gone, so I can't make a link. You'll just have to copy and paste this... and you MUST look. This is one of the goofiest things I've ever seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Chevy-Corvair-conv-shorty-/121100719015?pt=U- S_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c322a53a7

And this has to be the greatest misuse of the phrase "excellent condition" I've ever read.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-HUDSON-HORNET-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-KUSTOM-GASSER-- RARE-LEAD-SLED-TWIN-H-POWER-/330913031997?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d0bf4273d

• Options
    I've never been able to grasp the "shorty" concept, always looks weird and wrong. Seems quite a few 57 Chevy wagons/panels met that fate in the 70s.

Hudson has a bit too much patina for my tastes. Some closet hipster types seem to like that.
  • Options
    I think that Hudson will be just fine once you shovel out the rat dung, rivet some sheet metal to the floors under the seats, and strap in a few lawn chairs.