Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help me choose a used convertible "toy" car

cobra617cobra617 Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in General
Hey folks,
I am looking to find a car to play with and looking for some thoughts from others.

My requirements might be tight but here is what I want to find:
- Convertible (a must)
- Reliable (a must)
- Fast (a must)
- Manual (nice to have, but would consider auto)
- < $20,000
- 4 seats

What I have been looking at are:
- Mid 2000's BMW M3 (reliability is iffy)
- Late 2000's/early 2010's BMW 135 (again with the iffy BMW reliability)
- Late 2000's BMW 335 (sigh....)
- Infiniti G37 (not as fast as the others, and pricier than I'd like)
- 2010+ Lexus IS350 (Pricey, no manual, not as fast)

My daily driver is a 2006 Forester XT 5sp modified to about 400HP (325WHP). That car is a blast to drive, but I want a convertible for when I go to the beach (which is often....as in every weekend often).

The 335/135 is tempting because with an aftermarket computer mod, you can add lots of power. But BMWs not so great reliability history is scaring me off.

Thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Mercedes CLK 320?
  • cobra617cobra617 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response, but for my tastes the CLK320 is far too slow.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 110,534
    If you've modded a Forester XT to that kind of power, aren't you afraid of maintenance on that?

A BMW ought to be childs play in comparison.

Let me see if I can get some experts over here to offer some advice.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• cobra617cobra617 Posts: 3
    @Michaell - I actually got 180K miles out of my Forester and am now having the engine rebuilt and I got to that HP rating at about 5K miles. (so 175K miles at that power) I could have gotten more, but I started to really slack off in the last 2 years with some maintenance.
    That car has been super reliable. It is my benchmark. I want to get a convertible that is close to my Forester in reliability.
    I like the BMW 135i (as with a simple chip I can get quite a bit more power). The G37 is also intriguing. I won't get the power of the 135, but it is far more reliable.

Hmmmm.....

A BMW would be okay as long as it isn't miled up. Personally I wouldn't touch one over 80K unless you get a hell of a deal and have room to do some rehab on it.

The G37 convertible is only 6/10ths of a second slower than the 135 @ 0-60--, and only 4 mph slower in the quarter mile----I doubt you'd even notice.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,098
    The N55 has proven to be very reliable, not suffering from most of the issues that plagued the N54.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,433
    Like the N55 BMW that roadburner refers to. Problem there is, the 135 series was ugly as sin.

G37s coupe is a pretty car. As Mr Shiftright mentions, pretty close performance wise to the BMW and probably more reliable.

I've often thought of a G3x 'vert on the used market would be a good buy.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,718
    cobra617 said:

Hey folks,
    I am looking to find a car to play with and looking for some thoughts from others.

My requirements might be tight but here is what I want to find:
    - Convertible (a must)
    - Reliable (a must)
    - Fast (a must)
    - Manual (nice to have, but would consider auto)
    - < $20,000
    - 4 seats

What I have been looking at are:
    - Mid 2000's BMW M3 (reliability is iffy)
    - Late 2000's/early 2010's BMW 135 (again with the iffy BMW reliability)
    - Late 2000's BMW 335 (sigh....)
    - Infiniti G37 (not as fast as the others, and pricier than I'd like)
    - 2010+ Lexus IS350 (Pricey, no manual, not as fast)

Mustang.

Sorry, but that is it, as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, I'd be looking at much older stuff like a restomod or maybe a babied E46 M3.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

Good call. I forgot about the Mustang. You might lose a notch in prestige but it's the same sunshine and view you get out of a $100K convertible.