Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In Toyota's numerology 4-digit odd numbered models are always manual trannies..even numbers are AT's.

The first two designate the general model
    18xx is a Corolla
    19xx is a Matrix
    25xx is a Camry

The last two designate the trim level and transmission
    1838 is an LE 4AT
    1840 is an XLE 4AT
    1835 is an XRS 5MT

Some of the options codes cut across all models
    CK is the priorly discussed Cold Weather Package ( on every model in NA )
    CL is Cruise Control
    LA is Leather seating
    HD is Heaters for the seats
    NV is Navi
    EJ is the 6 CD JBL + BT system
    SR is SunRoof
    PO is the Power Package
    VS is VSC + Trac
    AW is Alloy Wheels
    KE is Keyless Entry

Others are specific to each model
    EM is the heated color keyed mirrors
    LE is the LE power package
    SX is the Corolla Sport Pckge

Sometimes the packages incorporate several of the individual options. The Sport Package includes ( AW, KE, SR and the lower cladding )

In the Color schemes...
    04xx is a gold
    08xx is a blue
    03xx is a red
    02xx is a black
    01xx is a silver
  • kasper06kasper06 Member Posts: 30
    10th Generation Corolla (2009 to 2013):
    L = 178.7"
    W= 69.3"
    H= 57.7"

9th Generation Corolla (2003-2008):
    L=178.3"
    W=66.9"
    H=58.5"

For comparison purposes here are dimensions for various generation Camry's:

3rd Generation Camry (1992-1996):
    L=187.8"
    W=69.7"
    H=55.1"

4th Generation Camry (1997-2001):
    L=188.5"
    W=70.1"
    H=55.4"

5th Generation Camry (2002-2006):
    L=189.2
    W=70.7"
    H=57.9"

6th Generation Camry (2007 to ???):
    L=189.2"
    W=71.7"
    H=57.9"

The all new 2009 10th generation Corolla does look a bit larger than the 9th generation Corolla but as someone stated in a recent test drive review of the car that is just an illusion. It is definitely wider.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Toyota has just updated its website and now it has the 2009 Corolla, Matrix, and even the unchanged 09 Camry.
  • kasper06kasper06 Member Posts: 30
    The Toyota USA website has been completely redesigned and looks really great! All the new 2009 Corolla info that you could possibly want is now available.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I read review of the 2009 Corolla that made a comment about the steering being non communicative.
    I don't know what's Toyota's problem with steering. I test drove a Camry several weeks ago and was in shock at how weightless and limp-wristed the steering was. It felt as if the steering wheel wasn't physically connected to anything. I thought steer-with-your-pinkie-finger steering went away with 1970's Buicks. Even a modern Buick has steering dialed in a bit better than the Toyota's I've seen.
    Hondas have very smooth steering with just enough weight and steering feel and Toyota should be able to do better than they are with this.
  • ez2beme00ez2beme00 Member Posts: 14
    on the build your own page, a loaded 2009 Corolla XLE is $20,740 with a lease payment of $625/mo., 12K/yr, Ex. credit rating. It can't be correct since my 06 Camry LE is only $325.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe they think they can get $625 per month from the people who want to be first to lease a 2009.
  • cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    Hey, I was trying to price a Corolla S, however to get leather do you have to also get that navigation systems with it? http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/init.do?zipCode=60712&seriesCategory=5&x=24&y=7
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    "Loaded XLE" may be a misnomer. According to the "build your own" site, the options come in packages, with letters like A, B, C etc. Some things I noticed about these packages:

* It's not possible to get VSC on the base Corolla or LE. In order to get it on the S, you have to get the AT and order package A, $2,985, which includes All Weather Guard, CD changer with 6 speakers, moonroof, and sport package. VSC is not in the package A on the S with MT. In order to get VSC on the XLE, you have to order package C, $2,600, which includes equipment similar to package A on the S (except some of what is in that package comes standard on the XLE). So it looks like VSC could be hard to find, and rather pricey, since it has to be purchased in a package. The XLE with VSC is $20,810, and the S is $20,795.

* If you want nav and VSC, it looks like you're out of luck, at least on the S and XLE. Looks like the only way to get VSC and nav together is to get the XLS 5AT (see next note).

* If you want VSC on the XLS, it looks like you have to get the 5AT, as the configurator says VSC is standard on the 5AT and optional on the MT, but there's only one options package on the MT and it doesn't include VSC.

* If you want nav and Bluetooth, it looks like you're out of luck, as no package seems to have both (XLS may offer that combo though, I didn't check).

* LE and XLE are 4AT only--no MT on those.

These limitations may not apply everywhere, but it appears to hold true for MN. Maybe other regions allow options like VSC to be purchased individually. That would be real nice, e.g. make VSC an easy-to-get option on the LE, and don't make people choose between VSC and nav. If I have to pay nearly $21k MSRP to get a Corolla with VSC, I don't think it's worth my time to even take a look at one, let alone drive one. :(
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Options vary by region. In my region you can get VSC on an LE. It's a $250.00 option. We received two Le Corollas yesterday. One had the floor mats, all weather guard package, cruise control, LE package (whatever that means, since it doesn't cost anything) vsc, and 16 in alloys. Msrp was a whopping $18,875.00 the other was equipped the same but no alloys.This one was $580.00 less.
    Mack
    Forget the Build your own function on the website. It's virtually useless. The packages have no reference at all to the way the vehicles are built or ordered by the stores.

Why they do that I have no idea. We get customers coming in asking for a Camry with package A and all they get is a blank stare. It'll be the same with the Corolla. "A, B, or C" " Huh?" I wouldn't waste a lot of time figuring out one comparison or another. When it comes time to order the vehicles the ones that turn over the fastest with the equipment that sells is what gets ordered.

Also the 'Build your own function' is something that's controlled at the regional level it's not set up by Toyota Corporate. SET and GST and CAT and SoCal all have different pricing schemes. It's like this on every new vehicle that's launched,,,, mass confusion on pricing at first. Then it becomes clear what the public wants after 5-6 months. In the end it's the buyers that actually take the vehicles off the lot that determine what equipment is ordered on the replacement units.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    "LE package (whatever that means, since it doesn't cost anything)"

I don't like this trend that began with the Prius and seems to be spreading: Toyota is copying GM's practice of listing things that are standard on step-up models but optional on lesser trims, and then writing "no charge" next to them. This is bogus and misleading: there is no charge on the LE, but you have paid more to get the LE so there was a charge, it is just magically hidden on the Monroney sticker you are reading. They comply with the law in letter but not in spirit.

Will VSC be as hard to find on '09s and '10s as ABS and side airbags were on pre-'08 Corollas? I suspect the answer is yes, although you would think Toyota would build a lot of them since it is going to be mandated in ALL new cars pretty soon.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

From a quick SOTP review of the first volley of incoming inventory it seems that almost all the units except the base model have VSC. I'll revert.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I hope that VSC will not be as hard to find as it was previously. In OH, it seems one can't build an LE or XLE or S, for example, without selecting VSC. (It is standard on XRS)

(And someone stated previously that VSC is a $250 option, I wonder if that is correct - the XLE option packing including VSC also includes cruise and the All-Weather pkg, but it is $650.)

I think the pricing is a little high on most models, but generally, it is appears acceptable.

An XLE as my mom might consider, for example, would be $21,009, which includes VSC, the JBL/Bluetooth/XM, alloys, cruise, floor and trunk mats, All-Weather.

I like the look and feel of Toyota's new site.

Re: the comment regarding Toyota's light steering (on the Camry) - drive the SE... it's significantly better, IMO.
    I will bet, though, that Toyota is building a high proportion of loaded and upper-trim models at first? That is its usual MO with a model update.

Six months from now when discount wars are raging, will they still mostly be coming in with the optional VSC? I hope so, but that's not how Toyota was with side bags and ABS until the Corolla's '08 model run. And it's still two years (or more?) until VSC will be mandated by law in all cars...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I would have to disagree with you on this one. The "build your own" funtion on buyatoyota.com is probably one of the most useful features on the site. Sure they list option package A, B,C but if you look at the package itself it also breaks down what's in the package and gives you the option codes too. For example, and this is for illustration purpose only:
    Option package A includes VSC (VS) All weather guard package (CK) Cruise control (CL).
    Heck, buyatoyota.com is one of my favorite tools to use with a customer in front of me at my desk.
    :)_
    I agree with you and don't care for that practice myself. But that's what you get when a foreign company gets "Americanized" and run by former GM, Ford, etc CEO's.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    I wonder why Toyota doesn't standardize options throughout all regions? Being able to get VSC on an LE for $250 in Virginia, and not in the Midwest with all of the winter ice and snow, and spring and summer rains, just doesn't make any marketing sense whatsoever. Or more importantly, why doesn't Toyota just make all safety features, such as VSC, standard equipment? Other manufacturers do. I remember when my wife was looking for a 2006 Corolla with side-curtain airbags - she couldn't find one in the entire Toyota Chicago or Central region.

Of all of the Asian manufacturers, Toyota seems to like to play the option game similar to domestic manufacturers.
    My experience when shopping for a Prius a few years ago, and from checking on options available on the Yaris last year, is that the "build your own" function on toyota.com is pretty accurate as to which option packages are available in a given region. But it seems that each region deals with options differently and gets different allocations of cars with various options. So while VSC, for example, may be widely available on Corollas in one region, I don't know that will be the case in all regions. It doesn't appear to be the case, at least for now, in my region (which I think Toyota calls the "Chicago" region).

I've also found that option availability can vary widely over time. So for example, when I ordered my Prius, the package I ordered was in good supply. A few months later, Toyota cut back on shipments of that package to my region, so my wait got extended (to the point I had to buy something else). On the Yaris, initially ABS and side airbags were in very short supply, but then more recently Toyota started sending more cars with those options to my area. So what we see today on the Corolla re options may not be true a few months from now.
    You are correct. In my experience I've noticed that what they list in the brochures as available options don't show up until later in the model cycle, not model year. Ex: Sienna. When this gen first came out there were something like 19 different packages listed on the brochure. Fast forward to today and we are finally starting to see some of those packages. They did drop a couple if I remember correctly.
    :shades:
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Although I was hoping that Toyota's new Corolla would be a slam-dunk in terms of value, after initially being startled by prices, it seems Toyota benchmarked Honda's Civic to some degree.

I think in this segment, its all about sensible shoes, and its going to be up to the buyer to decide. Me, I'd gravitate to a Mazda 3, Saturn Astra (though I thought the interior was a big disappointment, and the rear seat tight), or even an XRS Corolla... but for the masses, this Corolla will likely remain solid, smooth-riding, efficient, and reliable transportation.

Pricing Example (re my Honda remark):
    Corolla LE automatic + cruise, 6CD changer (non-JBL version), VSC, all-weather = $18,200

Civic LX auto = $18,395

The Civic gets 5A, 16 inch wheels, but does not offer cd changer or VSC.....

It's a bummer that the LE doesn't have the XLE's wood trim standard, IMO. At NAIAS, thought he vehicles were locked, the XLE's interior seemed very classy and the wood much more attractive than the 2003-2008 LE's plood.
    I don't know why they rebadged the trim levels. The LE is now what the CE is for 08 sans the airbags and abs, the XLE is now what the LE was sans the airbags and ABS. They maybe trying to attract different demographics than before.
    Unless of course you live in a region where VSC is not available on the LE, and then you're looking at near $21k list for a Corolla with VSC.

Reports are that the Civic will offer VSA across the lineup for 2009 MY. And of course, ESC (by whatever acronym) is available on other cars in this class, e.g. Elantra, Impreza, Mazda3, Rabbit, and SX4 Sport.
    It seems that Toyota has copied the structure and some of the nomenclature of the Camry pricing as the model for the Corolla.

Standard =Standard
    LE = LE
    XLE = XLE
    SE = S
    V6 SE = XRS

Only the V6 XLE and hybrid trims are missing in the Corolla lineup.

BTW, Can our Canadian brothers confirm if SKS and Auto Climate Control and leather are available on the initial Corolla XLE launch in Canada? That trim would seem to be the equivalent of the V6 XLE Camry trim.
    "I wonder why Toyota doesn't standardize options throughout all regions?"

The answer to your question is that Toyota builds lower-priced models for areas with lower incomes. That's why lots of cars in stock in Virginia (with Richmond, and the whole DC metro area) have pricey options that cars in parts of the midwest do not.

It's a lousy practice, but like everything else Toyota does intentionally, I am sure it sells more cars.

Yes it's really a regional question. Toyota the manufacturer builds and specifies a certain set of options that might be available. It's up to the individual regions to decide how to 'package' these options. It's the reason that when entering the 'Build/Price your Toyota' you first have to enter a ZIP code. That then directs you to that region's pricing structure.

Don't like it? Choose another ZIP. Buy out of region. There are a slew of Northeast buyers that take the Shuttle to DC and buy from Laurel/Carmax ( #2 in the US ) and Fitzmall. We get out share with buyers who dislike the structure of the SET pricing.

You're right it does sell more and make more money overall. Rather than have some monolithic department in Detroit or LA or Kentucky or NY make the decisions for the entire country that key decision is made on a regional level.

In addition nothing is set in stone. These pricing decisions are constantly being reviewed at regional meetings of the Sales Managers...if not monthly then at least quarterly. Then the stores themselves have a lot of latitude in deciding what sells for them. If one store is in an upscale neighborhood and one is in a blue collar neighborhood each might order its individual inventory entirely different.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    $20,795 is the least expensive Corolla S automatic.

$18,095 for an Elantra SE with automatic, sunroof and (includes heated seats and satellite radio not included on Corolla S above price)

Corolla is not worth $3,000 more to me. Hello Hyundai.

Mazda3 would be my choice at $20,000 plus.
  • lls57lls57 Member Posts: 57
    That must be just in your region. In my region the least expensive Corolla S automatic is $18,595. Hope you like your Hyundai. That's what freedom of choice is all about.
    Is that base price or with options?
    Mack
  • lls57lls57 Member Posts: 57
    In my area (Phoenix) everything is shown on the Toyota website as coming with Package A or more. Package A is the All Weather Guard package, 50 states emissions, and the Power package (CK, FE, PO), for $785.
    Looks like the same price in our region.
    Mack
    All Gen10 Corolla's come with XM standard.

Regarding the pricing difference of $2-$3000 it's intentional by both companies. Hyundai knows that it would never be able to move any metal if it priced it's key products at the CamCord / CorVic price levels. Toyota knows as the price leader knows that when it prices its vehicles that the otherw will key off these prices.

Toyota model is 'X'
    Honda is X - $200
    Nissan is X - $500
    Mazda is X - $700
    Hyundai is X - $2000

As long as these relationships are kept in line the world of auto pricing is in balance.
    What freedom of choice is there with Toyota?

If you want an S trim you HAVE to take at least $3,000 worth of option pkgs..

That must be just in your region. In my region the least expensive Corolla S automatic is $18,595.

Is there a DIFFERENT Toyota Motor Company in each region?
    Each regions distributors order their vehicles the way they think most customers would want and also to make money. There are five or seven regions and two of them are privately owned, Southeast Toyota (Nc, FL, Ga, SC) I might have left a state out. And Gulf states Toyota (Texas, AR_) and some other states. These two order their vehicles from the factory and then add their own options like "extra mile package", "Toyoguard" etc, and then print the window stickers with those options on them.
    The rest of the distributors also order their vehicles but don't always get what they want, these is the "preferencing" system Toyota has. Say they project 1000 Corollas will be sold in the month of March. Out of those 1000 there will be a mix of all trim levels, an allocation is sent to each dealer based on the previous months sales. The more you sell the more vehicles that will be on the allocation. On that allocation it will list the trim levels you will get, the options, and color.Based on what you preferenced the month before your allocation might be the same or it may change. That's why you see some dealers have a ton of silver Corollas while another dealer might be partial to the Desert sand, etc. etc.
    "
    "All Gen10 Corolla's come with XM standard. "

Not true kd, only the ones with the upgrade JBL EJ. The other sound systems are sat capable but you still need the receiver, although the antenna is standard on all trims.
    Mack
    Toyota model is 'X'
    Honda is X - $200
    Nissan is X - $500
    Mazda is X - $700
    Hyundai is X - $2000

Two problems with your pricing "model".

First, Mazda is more expensive than Toyota when comparing the 3 to the Corolla. Mazda positioned the 3 as a "premium" compact when it replaced the Protege.

Second, regarding Honda a comparison of a Civic EX automatic at less the $20,000 vs. a Corolla S automatic pkg. B at $21,405 shows Toyota to be over $1400 more than comparable Honda.

Of course, you do get a 4 speed automatic for you extra $1400 for the Corolla compared to 5 speed automatic in the Civic.

Overall, the Corolla is a good car, it's just not the leader in features, technology or value as it has been many times in the past.
    I've owned several Corollas over the years and each time I purchased one it was an easy decision as they offered the best product for the money, not anymore with Gen 10 or Gen 9.
    kdhspyder - All Gen10 Corolla's come with XM standard.

Toyota sells optional receiver for Sirius or XM for the non-JBL radios in Corolla.

Optional is not standard.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I noticed that the '09 Corolla's trunk space is listed at 16.6 cu ft. Wow! The new Camry is only 15 cu ft. Is this correct? The new Corolla's trunk must be huge!
    I already told him that.
    :)
    Mistype in the previous post as Mack pointed out. The Antenna is standard. The receiver is extra in the non-JBL models.
    Second, regarding Honda a comparison of a Civic EX automatic at less the $20,000 vs. a Corolla S automatic pkg. B at $21,405 shows Toyota to be over $1400 more than comparable Honda.

From the respective websites...

The Civic EX AT is $20145 ( no Navi ) with essentially no options - but also no VSC/Trac and $21895 ( w/ Navi ).

The Corolla XLE AT has different levels of equipment at the customer's option - but all but one option include VSC/Trac
    Pckg A @ $18860+
    Pckg B @ $19750+
    Pckg C @ $20119+
    Pckg D @ $20509+
    Pckg E @ $20810+
    Pckg E @ $21629+
    +Alloy wheels are extra

Add the AW extra and the Toyota ( Pckgs B & F ) is slightly higher than the two equivalent Honda models but with more equipment. The customer also has 4 other options if they so choose.
  • imkramerimkramer Member Posts: 26
    Disappointed the XLE will not have a leather option available. Also, was hoping to see the XLE get "Push-Button" Start (which is available on Corollas in other countries). Was looking to get a "Luxury-Economy" vehicle for a 60-mile roundtrip daily commute and this might have fit the bill. :(
    You should clarify that the Corolla packages you mentioned are available in YOUR region. In other regions, e.g. Chicago region which covers the Midwest, only ONE option package on the XLE includes VSC.

Also, the Civic EX is very well equipped as-is, including moonroof, cruise, remote locking, and 16" alloys. The only major missing feature is VSA, which is reported coming to the entire Civic lineup for the 2009 MY.
    Are power seats even available? My dealer said he could install leather seats and seat heaters but at this point it seems that now that the 09 Camry is out, a discounted 08 Camry is probably a better deal than an optioned out 09 Corolla. There isn't a huge difference in size,price or mpg. When the 2010 Camry comes out there will probably be a bigger jump between the 2 models.
    $20,560 is the LEAST expensive Corolla XLE automatic sold. *YTRMV

*Your Toyota Region May Vary

Adding alloy wheels will add least $500. VSC is NOT included for the $20,560.

So the Civic EX is a minimum of $1,000 less than XLE comparably equipped and an greater savings will be achieved based on actual market pricing.

Five speed automatic standard on Civic, not available on XLE Corolla.
    Jeez, are we still comparing Civic vs Corolla?
    :sick:
    Jeez, are we still comparing Civic vs Corolla?

Would you prefer to compare it to 7030 series John Deere tractor? Jeez.

Perhaps some Toyota fanatics never consider ANY brand other than Toyota.

In order to determine the benchmark in the compact sedan segment there has to be some objective measure.

I would argue that Corolla no longer sets the standard.
    What standard are you talking about? sales? horsepower? handling? ride quality?
    Over the years I have owned 2 Civics and 2 Corollas, the only thing that impressed me about either one was mpg,reliability,and resale....the only 3 things that even matter in cars at this level.
    Thank you.
    I'm guessing that we'll get the SKS and Auto Climate and possibly leather on another XLE trim in the future.

It appears that Canada is getting SKS and Auto Climate but the US is not. Can't confirm for sure but from other sites it appears that up North the options are different.